Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Lowering question- has anyone seen or heard of these?

As you all can see by this picture, my 997 is way too high off the ground.
    No PASM, and no -20mm avail in the USA.

I love the ride the std suspension w/18's gives but the ride hieght is somewhat annoying. I've had lowered cars in the past, and the -30mm drop I'd get from H&R/Eibach is a bit more than I'm after. In fact, I just want the same ride height I see on 996 Turbos and GT3's I've seen in the showroom at my local dealer. Those are -20mm aren't they? Coilovers are just a bit too pricey for me at this time.

So has anyone encountered these?

Rinspeed sport lowering spring set (for vehicles with and w/o PASM, lowering app. 20-25mm)

20-25mm lowering! Could this be the ticket??

Is anyone out there familiar w/ Rinspeed's products? Does anyone have these on their car? I'd like to find out how they compare in ride/handling vs. H&R's/Eibachs. They also cost a bit more. Are they manufactured by Rinspeed, or by someone else? Any info? Throw me a bone please!

Re: Lowering question- has anyone seen or heard of these?

Rinspeed products are not as good as Eibachs. 20mm is less than inch so about .75 +/-, while it will make a difference lookwise it will not be noticeable. Believe it or not I like the ride height with my 19" wheels

Have you got PASM edz61? Because I noticed the 997's w/ PASM really do sit great with 19's

If I had the extra dough to plunk down for PASM and 19's I wouldn't be in this quandry

So that's Eibachs 1, Rinnspeed 0.

Yes my friend I have the PASM, Chrono, Sport etc.

Yes, the PASM's ride height really makes a difference to me when I was comparing the different 997's at the dealer.

I'm beginning to think that I probably have the highest riding 997 on the O.C.

Why don't you take it to techart in Los Angeles, they have a gr8 shop there

MHakkinen - i don't mean to confuse you, but i've heard eibach manufactures techart's lowering springs (hence possibility of them being the same). if it's true, just go with eibachs & save some $$$.

I have never heard of Eibachs. Can anyone provide a USA distributor information about that so that i can call and find out more baout it. I am actually looking to lower my car too but i am having second thought because i am planning to buy the 20" techart GTS rims for my car. Which is better Techart or Rinspeed? Also, i have lowered my cayenne S, and what ends up being expensive is the installation. What is the appropriate installation fee and a bodyshop should charge? As i can remember they charge me 1100+ US for the install . Is that way too high?

Quote:
    AS said:
    MHakkinen - i don't mean to confuse you, but i've heard eibach manufactures techart's lowering springs (hence possibility of them being the same). if it's true, just go with eibachs & save some $$$.

I hope this is true, it is like half the price of techart. Is there anyway to find out if Eibach really manufactur techart's springs?
    But i also notice on the web that Eibach does not have a suspension kit for the 997?? true?

lowering would provide more performance, while 20" rims would provide a more 'custom' look (but w/little performance benefits).

on Cayenne S, you'd only need to re-program DME/ECU module (a very quick fix) to hv Cayenne w/PASM ride lower. lowering springs for non-PASM Cayennes would of course take considerably longer.

Quote:
    AS said:

Well that's just great, when I asked the guy at Techart who made their springs, he said they were manufactured by TECHART.

I also found out while calling around that Cargraphic springs are made by Eibach (no wait a minute...H&R...oh crap I'm so confused now), anyways the spring rates are changed to meet Cargraphic's specifications.

I'm about ready to flip a coin and be done with it

Both Eibach and H&R springs are great quality. I've run a myriad of different spring rates and spring configurations (full body springs and race springs) on other cars.

These boutique tuners (eg, Rinspeed, Techart) certainly do NOT make their own springs. Anyway, I'd go directly to H&R and buy their springs.

It may be possible that your dealer (or an independent retailer) gets you the original 20 mm chassis option parts. I would be pretty difficult to retrofit the LSD...maybe...but retrofitting the 20 mm shocks, springs and swaybars shouldn't be a problem at all. If you're interested, I may try to find out what parts are exactly involved and if there are other parts involved besides the shocks, springs and swaybars (like wheel carriers, etc.). I can't promise anything but maybe...

Regarding springs only: get the H&R springs, NOTHING else. I may be mistaken but they also offer a coilover kit.
    H&R is the original 20 mm chassis supplier as far as I know and they also take care of the 997 GT3 (like they did with the 996 GT3 too). Yes, they're the original supplier for Porsche, incl. development work.

RC, why do you think that it's REALLY difficult to retrofit the LSD?

If sport suspension + LSD have been developed as a whole package, why do they seperate it on retrofiting?

In any case do you think that changing the springs on PASM cars (with H&R) would upset the suspensions settings and the car would be worse regarding understeer?

Quote:
    zoltan said:
    RC, why do you think that it's REALLY difficult to retrofit the LSD?

If sport suspension + LSD have been developed as a whole package, why do they seperate it on retrofiting?

You need to open the transmission to install (new gearbox is not repairable - just replaced when broken, so dealers don't open them). Also, you may need a software change to the PSM system to accommodate the new vehicle dynamics...

Quote:
    RC said:
    It may be possible that your dealer (or an independent retailer) gets you the original 20 mm chassis option parts. I would be pretty difficult to retrofit the LSD...maybe...but retrofitting the 20 mm shocks, springs and swaybars shouldn't be a problem at all. If you're interested, I may try to find out what parts are exactly involved and if there are other parts involved besides the shocks, springs and swaybars (like wheel carriers, etc.). I can't promise anything but maybe...

Regarding springs only: get the H&R springs, NOTHING else. I may be mistaken but they also offer a coilover kit.
    H&R is the original 20 mm chassis supplier as far as I know and they also take care of the 997 GT3 (like they did with the 996 GT3 too). Yes, they're the original supplier for Porsche, incl. development work.

Thanks for that info RC. I've owned several cars in the past which were bastardized with aftermarket parts. My idea of P-car ownership includes keeping the car as 'factory' as possible. Knowing that H&R had a big hand in developmant puts my mind at ease quite a bit

As for finding part #'s for the -20mm retrofit, I'm afraid it's out of range for me at this time. But I'm sure there are others here that would benefit from that privy info

Quote:
    Grant said:
    You need to open the transmission to install (new gearbox is not repairable - just replaced when broken, so dealers don't open them). Also, you may need a software change to the PSM system to accommodate the new vehicle dynamics...

Very good, Grant.

Anyone have any idea of how Techart's lowering kit is, quality and performance wise? I think i should better off ordering the suspension from techart art since they seem to be the premier tuner of Porsche. Coilover is definitely real expensive, but I am curious to know the advanges and disadvanges of it.

Quote:
    RC said:

i'd be interested to learn more abt this.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    775715 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    440877 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262333 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260525 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    84945 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5448 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

879924 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    814874 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM