Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayman Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

The real competition for the Cayman S

Mercedes SLK 350 and Nissan Z350. These are the cars Porsche is "officially" targeting with the Cayman S. Just for your information...believe it or not.

Re: The real competition for the Cayman S

Quote:
    RC said:
    Mercedes SLK 350 and Nissan Z350. These are the cars Porsche is "officially" targeting with the Cayman S. Just for your information...believe it or not.

If Porsche are targetting 350Z customers they'd better offer some serious discounts - like 50%

Yeah, the Z costs ALOT less than the Cayman S!

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Yeah, the Z costs ALOT less than the Cayman S!

This was no joke, it is about performance, not about money. There was also a 997 C4S Cab available for comparison...but for other reasons.

I have spent quite a bit of time in the Z and G35 coupe....they don't compare at all. The Cayman at twice the price is still a good deal IMO. Same reason why people would buy a way more expensive 997 vs the Z06.....even though the 997 is not in the same "numbers" class.

Quote:
    RC said:
    This was no joke, it is about performance, not about money.

Cool, I'll take an F430 over a Cayman any day!

then i take the mclaren f1

So if Porsche sees the Cayman as competition for the 350Z, would that mean that the Boxster is competition for the 350Z roadster?

I don't understand at all. The 350Z is nearly half the price of the Cayman here. The SLK 350 is Pounds10k less.

I would have thought a more accurate competition would be the SLK 55 AMG and the BMW M3.

what about the Z4M coupe??

.. when it comes out

Quote:
    luko said:
    I don't understand at all. The 350Z is nearly half the price of the Cayman here. The SLK 350 is Pounds10k less.

I would have thought a more accurate competition would be the SLK 55 AMG and the BMW M3.

Like I said, guys: performance, not money. The SLK 55 AMG is more than two seconds faster from 0-125 mph, the 0-60 mph performance is much better too. The M3 is also a different beast and the new upcoming Z4 M should easily outrun the Cayman S on the straight line.

Like I said: the cars for comparison were the SLK 350, the Z350 and, for a certain reason, the 997 C4S Cab.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    luko said:

Like I said, guys: performance, not money. The SLK 55 AMG is more than two seconds faster from 0-125 mph, the 0-60 mph performance is much better too. The M3 is also a different beast and the new upcoming Z4 M should easily outrun the Cayman S on the straight line.

Like I said: the cars for comparison were the SLK 350, the Z350 and, and, for a certain reason, the 997 C4S Cab .

RC, these last words make me think you may have forgotten to specify if it is about a magazine comparaison test, and if it is the case, to give its name

The simple fact is that in Europe the main competitor for the Cayman S is, without doubt, the 997. And after five 911s in the UK I have switched to the Cayman S because it seems to offer 95% or so of the capability of the 997 for a lot less money - plus a little more practicality. Whether it is more expensive than the Boxster has never been an issue for me as I would never buy a ragtop.
    In a nutshell I don't want to spend more than 50k GBP on a Porsche and I think that the hatchback might be an advantage - I have no need of the rear seats of the 997, I don't know any pigmies and 99% of the time I drive alone.
    In the US, my second home, the position is not the same. Because of the significantly lower prices (in European terms) I am more than happy to buy a 997 (which I have done). The Cayman S doesn't interest me too much in the US because the savings are not so significant and I have an SUV and a sedan when I need to be "practical".
    For Cayman money in the UK I can buy a 997 in the US.
    Horses for courses.
    How the Cayman S compares with the 997 remains to be seen - later this month.

Quote:
    RC said:

Actually, according to the Porsche Cayman Product Information Guide, the "offical" competition is:
    • Audi TT Coupe
    • BMW M3
    • Chevrolet Corvette
    • Mazda RX-8
    • Chrysler Crossfile SRT-6
    • Mercedes-Benz SLK
    • Nissan 350Z Coupé
    No Porsche cars are on the list in this document. The guide is available at the Cayman Club site (I have no affiliation, just another source of Cayman info for me).

-Peter

What I have heard is Porsche describing the Cayman S as for people moving up from those cars.

i would imagine Cayman S competition to be Lotus Elise &/or Exige...

Quote:
    AS said:
    i would imagine Cayman S competition to be Lotus Elise &/or Exige...

No, I am afraid I don't see that. Those two cars are much more "hardcore". Different market.

With regard to "target" products money has to be a major factor, in the UK a 350Z, even with the GT pack is Pounds28,000. The Mercedes SLK350 is Pounds34,930 and is not really an enthusiast car (it's the opposite end of the spectrum to the Lotus, with if you like the Boxster / Cayman in the middle). The Cayman is Pounds43,930. I would have thought the forthcoming Z4M, piece of junk powered by a rocket it might be, would be the nearest both in price and character.

If money wasn't a factor I would undoubtedly gone for a Carrera S coupe instead of a Boxster S. If I had not just got the Boxster I may well have gone for the Cayman. I tried an Exige, great fun that it was I could not put up with the noise and discomfort.

I wanted to try the new SLK 350, but when I went to my Mercedes dealer to look at one I waited for over an hour and a half in the showroom and was totally ignored. Arrogant tossers. I tried the Z4 and it was even more uncomfortable than the Exige, I love the M3 but as my local dealer had nearly managed to kill my wife by knackering the brakes in our 328i as the result of a routine and botched brake fluid change I was not too keen to have the same chimpanzees look after an M3. The Chrysler Crossfire is the old SLK with all the good bits thrown away. The Audi TT was too wooden, although fabulously well built and Porsche could learn a lot about interior design from Audi. I didn't like the idea of the RX8, the thirst and lack of torque of the Wankel engine put me off. Japanese cars tend to be totally lacking in "character", anyway. I looked at the 350Z but it just seemed like a big impractical tank to me. When I visited my Porsche dealer for the first time I was greeted politely within 5 minutes and taken seriously. Drove a 986 S and was totally smitten in 30 seconds.

Quote:
    Ziggy said:
    Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    luko said:

Like I said: the cars for comparison were the SLK 350, the Z350 and, and, for a certain reason, the 997 C4S Cab .

RC, these last words make me think you may have forgotten to specify if it is about a magazine comparaison test, and if it is the case, to give its name

I think my post is the dumbest one of the Rennteam history ever

Quote:
    luko said:

The funny thing about Porsche's marketing department is that they only classify their "competition" as cars they can out-perform.

Although they are not my cup of tea (and I suspect most others in this forum), I would have thought TVR was also a rival for those considering the Cayman as a second car.

everybody seems to hate my comments or pass them off as stupid remarks, but as far as i can see every thread on this forum turns into one big cayman s beating. pac-man WANTS to beleive that his opinion is unbiased but it ISN'T. i still dont understand why you dont change the website to www.911istheonlycarporscheshouldevermake.com i think you would be much happier

Quote:
    GR said:
    Although they are not my cup of tea (and I suspect most others in this forum), I would have thought TVR was also a rival for those considering the Cayman as a second car.

I agree, I'd seriously but tempted by TVR but I don't see them as an everyday car. No ABS, no air bags, no nothing..

Quote:
    KenH said:
    How the Cayman S compares with the 997 remains to be seen - later this month.

Hey Ken,

What colour Cayman have you specced? I was just looking at a basalt one today, waiting in the PCGB compound for a PC West London customer
    Very nice - and confirmed that my choice of basalt was good!

Quote:
    Ziggy said:

I think you guys don't understand: I'm talking about a PORSCHE test, not a magazine test. The SLK 350 and Z350 were the two cars Porsche provided for comparison and which were tested during development of the Cayman among others.

Quote:
    boobdear said:
    . . .i still dont understand why you dont change the website to www.911istheonlycarporscheshouldevermake.com i think you would be much happier

Actually, I wish they kept making the 959 too.

Quote:
    boobdear said:
    everybody seems to hate my comments or pass them off as stupid remarks, but as far as i can see every thread on this forum turns into one big cayman s beating. pac-man WANTS to beleive that his opinion is unbiased but it ISN'T. i still dont understand why you dont change the website to www.911istheonlycarporscheshouldevermake.com i think you would be much happier

RC is trying to enlighten you that the Cayman may not be as good as its hype and that the PR spin put on it is just that, spin. Personally I have no issues with the Cayman.
    If Porsche wants to make a new Boxster and stupidly name it with a sexually charged double entendre they have every right to. I am sure that we will see more sweaters this year from Porsche's techequipment group. As for your website name idea, I think it sucks. Everyone knows that www.Porsche914/6wasthebestporscheevermade.com

Quote:
    boobdear said:
    everybody seems to hate my comments or pass them off as stupid remarks

Probably because most of your comments are stupid. Persisting in calling RC "pac-man" is a good example. It's not funny or clever.

No-one is "beating" the Cayman. My 987 S is a great car, and as the Cayman is based on the 987 S with more structural rigidity and slightly more power the Cayman will be a great car also. But it is not a miracle machine, you can't expect it to be a rival for a 911 Carrera S, Carrera GT or a Ferrari Enzo. But as you've got the latter, you are more qualified than me to comment on that.

I think we are getting more posts/comments saying 'dont believe the hype' than actual hype. Get over it, most people here know what the Cayman is.. the hype and the people believing in it are mainly in your imagination!

Quote:
    Martin Tyler said:
    I think we are getting more posts/comments saying 'dont believe the hype' than actual hype. Get over it, most people here know what the Cayman is.. the hype and the people believing in it are mainly in your imagination!

I don't have a problem with the hype or anti-hype. That's not why I made that reply

I agree, we now have more "hype about the hype" than "hype about the car"!

We've pretty much killed that (collectively).

I think the competition for the Cayman S is really pretty much the same as for the Boxster S. Both cars don't have any real direct competition, rather various other choices that are stronger in some specific areas but weaker in others. Corvette is probably the most serious performance competition.

Interesting post RC... Did Porsche actually offer actual samples of these cars for direct comparison? Or am I reading it wrong?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690098 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409520 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255869 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235109 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65605 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4651 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858264 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774427 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM