Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Clear Bra Recommandation

Will receive my 997 in 3 wks and consider to install the clear bra. Any comment and recommandation. Good/bad experience??? Any installer recommandation in Bay Area? Thanks for the comments and inputs.

Re: Clear Bra Recommandation

Sam at
    PREMIER MOBILE

AESTHETICS GROUP

Business: (510) 390-6920 / (510) 406-1500 Fax: 510-769-8688

I heard he is pretty good. Did he do yours. Half/full hood?? Thansk

I have not used him , but I know people who have and he is one of the best if not the best in the country right now . You are lucky that he is right in your backyard .

In my opinion and based on my experience black needs the bra the most. Black paint is a soft paint while metalics are hard and resist chips much better. However the Bra on Black will show more than any other color. One day of dust and the area where the Bra is looks dull, so you have to clean it all the time. Also when you was it where the seam is will collect wax and will need extra attention. I had it done on my black 996C4S it cost $800.00 including mirrors, hood, bumper and fenders but I still got a chip or two but not as bad. On metalic colors the bra does not look as bad, but keep in mind if you ever want to remove it the finish will not look the same ever again. And if you are thinking painting the bumper if you remove the bra then why bother with the bra. I have mixed feeling about them like them and hate them. I have nothing on my 997S and so far two little chips on the spoiler which you can hardly see.

Thanks edz61. That is my concern too if I ever decide to remove the clear bra in the later day, the color may not look the same. I also concern about the film may turn yollow in a few years as well. Thanks again for your input. I hope I can come up with the decision wisely.

Have the clear bra put on right away. Don't wait until you get aggravated w/ chips. I drove my last 2 new sports cars directly from the dealer to the install the same day. Not one chip on either car and that's in New York ! It's worth it's weight in gold. That's why you'll already have a piece installed by Porsche at the factory on the rear quarter panel. Only problem with that piece is it's very visible because Porsche doesn't tuck in any edges. It's simple to keep wax off the edges by applying painters tape along the edges when waxing, takes 3 minutes. Just like you should do with the piece installed by the factory. If you don't want to bother with the tape the wax is easily removed like you would have to remove t from a badge or emblum. No biggy. The newer films don't yellow like the pieces manufactured years ago. Bet the one on your car now won't yellow for 10 + years and in that case it performed it's job of protecting your paint and well worth the investment. Have behind each wheel done too. Even if you don't live in an area prone to front rock chips you'll save your paint from being sandblasted from sand etc. on the road.

ps: Listen to the people that have already lived with both scenerio's, with and without the clear bra not just people speculating on why they don't like it.

This is interesting :
    http://www.automotivearticles.com/Clear_Bra_3M.shtml
    Notice the authors conclusion:
    " I think it is very clear that the 3M product is a must have for those concerned about keeping the car's paint mint. If the enthusiast can front the money, it is probably one of the most useful investments that can be made, aside from an oil change."

& Check these threads:

http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=997&Number=135791&page=6&fpart=1

http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=997&Number=132156&page=1&fpart=1

http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=123733&page=5&fpart=1&vc=1

http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=100752&page=4&fpart=4&vc=1

The freeways in N.Y. are different than CA, trust me here you get a chip no matter where you go. It's a no win situation

Thanks Stradale. Do you have the full hood on your F-Car?? It looks nice.

Quote:
    Stephenkng said:
    Thanks Stradale. Do you have the full hood on your F-Car?? It looks nice.

Nope about 1/3 to half. Also have the bumper, front fender wings, lights, rocker panels, bottom 1/3 of the doors, bottom 1/3 of the front fender behind the wheel well, behind rear wheels, mirrors.

On my 997 I have the bumper, front fender wings, hood, lights, rocker panels (stops show marks and scratches) , behind each wheel.

Thanks ! Here it is on my 997. You can see by the pic that the 3M even reflects images like paint.

Quote:
    edz61 said:
    The freeways in N.Y. are different than CA, trust me here you get a chip no matter where you go. It's a no win situation

Trust me I've lived in both places and the freeways/higways in N.Y. are worse than CA for rocks and stones. It's especially bad during winter when the sand spreaders are literally dumping truck loads of sand and pebbles onto the road for traction on the ice and in early Spring when the majority of that stuff is still on the road combined with the gravel and rocks from potholes that are created from water freezing and thawing ripping up the road creating potholes. I drive from Long Island through Queens, and the Bronx to get up to my office in Westchester county. CA freeways are a pleasure compared to the 5 Boroughs. It's a "no win situation" if you don't do the install. The vast majority of chips occur on the front bumper (like the only 2 chips you got) and bottom 1/3 of the hood. The clear bra protects this area extremely well.

Ask Phil to tell you his experience with chips and the clear bra.

don't forget to wrap the edges. also, dark colors make the film more noticeable. it kinda look like orange peel to me. but will protect your car well.

I got the Carman Red. Do you think the clear bra will look good on the color?????

I 2nd Ocean's recommendation with Sam and his guys at Premier. From someone going to several companies and 4 replacements due to crappy work, I can honestly say that Premier's probably one of the best in their field of work. They were very attentive to detail to the point where they located a spec of dust in which I couldn't even see and lifted the film to remove it. These guys made me look like a train wreck when it came to such attention to details. Next to my Atlas, I also have a carbon black M3 that was done by them. I've had Stongard and ClearArmor, which used 3M and both didn't look good because of the orange peel. The bras that Premier uses are much clearer and brings out the texture of the paint and not the adhesive on the bra. I don't remember the name of the brands they used, but it's pretty clear. You could find Sam here, sam@premiermobilegroup.com. Might be tough to find him....took me about 4 wks to get onto their schedule. Good luck.

I think it is Venture Paint Protection Film not the 3M .

Yes, that's it. I opted for another film they had that's a little clearer and costed a little more. They showed me 3 diff material including 3M, which was already on my M3 - world of a difference with what they use and what Stongard put on my car. On my AG 997, I had them do the entire hood, fenders, lights, mirrors, and bumper. I opted for the bulk stuff for the bumper instead of the pre-cut, which turned out to be an excellent decision on my part because they disassembled all of my lights so that they could put the film behind it. At a recent meet, one of the guys from ClearArmor asked me why I didn't do the bumper?! It was hilarious!

Quote:
    Stephenkng said:
    I got the Carman Red. Do you think the clear bra will look good on the color?????

It will look fine. It does show up more on darker colors like black. On my artic silver and Scuderia Red cars you absolutely cannot tell the bra is one the car if you couldn't see the leading edge across the hood and fenders. On my black SUV and the black 500CLK I just had done on my moms car you can see the film is shinier then the paint. THE most important part of getting the clear film done is in the INSTALL. My installer does not use pre-cut kits. He cuts pieces so there is enough to wrap the edges around and under body panels and into the side marker and light housings so the amount of exposed edges are at a minimum. I'm not saying the pre-cut kits are bad, the vast majority of installs are done with kits I'm just saying there are more ways then one. I'm not sure what Premiere uses but I've heard good things about them often. My guy also puts your car up on a lift for the install so that it is much easier to work the the bumper and lower parts of the car and he uses a ton of Fluorescent Lamps shining from above and the side which will show every single imperfection. It looks like this http://www.detailingdynamics.com/

If you want to see what an install looks like here's pictures from different makes/models getting done. Under Ferrari that is my CS :
    http://www.detailingdynamics.com/film.html

Quote:
    OCEAN said:
    I think it is Venture Paint Protection Film not the 3M .

I prefer the newest 3M product over Venture.

Quote:
    jackie said:
    Yes, that's it. I opted for another film they had that's a little clearer and costed a little more. They showed me 3 diff material including 3M, which was already on my M3 - world of a difference with what they use and what Stongard put on my car. On my AG 997, I had them do the entire hood, fenders, lights, mirrors, and bumper. I opted for the bulk stuff for the bumper instead of the pre-cut, which turned out to be an excellent decision on my part because they disassembled all of my lights so that they could put the film behind it. At a recent meet, one of the guys from ClearArmor asked me why I didn't do the bumper?! It was hilarious!

This is the way to go - w/ bulk cut if the installer is skilled enough to do the install. And been doing it for a long time. I wouldn't want to be the first customer of a shop used to doing pre-cut kits to ask for custom cut install.

http://www.detailingdynamics.com/webgallery/filmporsche/pages/porsche997_03.htm

Thanks Stradle..You made up my mind for me..I have a Nov. build black C2S Cab, and yes the NY & CT roads are terrible from the first snow or ice on into late spring. My dealer has info on Armour protect..Is that the same as your 3M guy in Mineola??

I rechecked the dealer info... The product is "Armor Glove."?? Is this a 3M product to your knowledge.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Thanks ! Here it is on my 997. You can see by the pic that the 3M even reflects images like paint.

Which 3M film did you use? There is an 3M aerospace product that some installers use instead of the standard 3M film. Could you post or IM me the install cost for the 997.

I'm picking up my GT Silver 997 S in a few days. TIA

I had the Aerospace material that Premier uses and it is much clearer than everything out there....and I initially thought that Venture was the clearest. Wow, is all I had to say. However, don't be fooled about the bra material - the installer is more important imo.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    753679 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    430989 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258722 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255577 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79606 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5256 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868537 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    802230 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM