Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 997 GT3 numbers!!!

sounds good, i like how PCCB are now standard. I hope that feature makes it to the new Turbo.

Impressive performance numbers.
    Doesn't specify but I presume the 3.8L block is issued from the GT1 engine, like the previous GT3.
    Funny also to call the base model GT3RS???
    In any case, great find, thanks for the link!

405 hp only.....142,112 euro, they are crazy!!!!

Thanks for the link. I can't validate this news but once it's officially announced we can find it in the news section.

those are a STRONG 405 HP if only 25 more leads to a whopping 1/2 second decrease 0-100, i think maybe 430 is more accurate;)

Quote:
    The Hawk said:
    405 hp only.....142,112 euro, they are crazy!!!!

Yeah, I thought the price was also on the steep side.
    The hp figure doesn't bother me at all.
    Porsche sports cars have always been more than HP numbers.
    Look at the 997S, it's only 355hp and it trumps the AMV8, the Maseratis, the SL55, the Modena, etc...
    What it impressive with the new GT3 is that it achieves 0 to 170 in 8.9 secs.
    It's a track car, not a "fast" car, for that, wait for the Turbo!

But yeah the price, is a big surprise!

Quote:
    Fanch said:
    Doesn't specify but I presume the 3.8L block is issued from the GT1 engine, like the previous GT3.

Although I usually get "leaked" press infos pretty fast and many days before the official launch, this one didn't arrive yet. I don't say it isn't true but a few things make me wonder. I know that a press release regarding the GT3 is expected end of this month or around december but I have to admit that I never heard of the GT3 RS coming that soon. I'm surprised, VERY surprised...if this leaked press release is real.
    However I found a few things weird: the 405 HP power claim, we heard 415 HP too many times but +/- 10 HP shouldn't be a problem. Another thing sounding weird is the top speed of 301 kph. The "old" GT3 RS already had a top speed of 306 kph. The acceleration is pretty impressive, it is at par with the 996 Turbo S, even slightly faster (this is actually correct since we had the same info like we posted several times). The front PCCB brake disc is also the same like we predicted, 380 mm size. But what we didn't predict is the price tag...a SHOCK to us. Same as the 996 Turbo S over here in Germany. I still wonder what weight this car has, for this kind of money, this little fellow better be lighter than the 996 GT3RS. And there is another confusing statement regarding PASM. According to this leaked press release, if real, the GT3 RS gets a very sporty PASM version. This doesn't make sense either.

To be honest: I don't know if this leaked(?) press release is true but it seems to have been translated directly from german language, a few things don't sound right to me. The release date is correct though, march/april 2006 was always on the schedule for Germany.

142000 Euro...OH BOY. I'm afraid that if this press release is real, we're gonna have some surprises regarding the Turbo too. I hope not but if true, I expect that ANYTHING is possible.

The rear wing is going to be more prominent?

I am not trying to be negative but honestly wouldn't most of you be embarrassed driving around town with a big prominent wing on the rear deck? My god, your successful people with a great deal of maturity. To drive around with a big wing on a car is sooo ricer and frankly infantile.

There are several errors in there that make me think this is either a joke or someone typed it with a few mistakes.

Agree with you RC and did you notice the press release swaps between GT3 and GT3RS for then in the end saying "there will only be a clubsport version".

Quote:
    nberry said:

I am not trying to be negative but honestly wouldn't most of you be embarrassed driving around town with a big prominent wing on the rear deck? My god, your successful people with a great deal of maturity. To drive around with a big wing on a car is sooo ricer and frankly infantile.

Nick, the 997 GT3 RS is going to be the RACE version of the GT3, not really a street car. Of course people can drive it on the street too but this is no poser, this is something to have fun with.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    Fanch said:

Although I usually get "leaked" press infos pretty fast and many days before the official launch, this one didn't arrive yet. I don't say it isn't true but a few things make me wonder. I know that a press release regarding the GT3 is expected end of this month or around december but I have to admit that I never heard of the GT3 RS coming that soon. I'm surprised, VERY surprised...if this leaked press release is real.
    However I found a few things weird: the 405 HP power claim, we heard 415 HP too many times but +/- 10 HP shouldn't be a problem. Another thing sounding weird is the top speed of 301 kph. The "old" GT3 RS already had a top speed of 306 kph. The acceleration is pretty impressive, it is at par with the 996 Turbo S, even slightly faster (this is actually correct since we had the same info like we posted several times). The front PCCB brake disc is also the same like we predicted, 380 mm size. But what we didn't predict is the price tag...a SHOCK to us. Same as the 996 Turbo S over here in Germany. I still wonder what weight this car has, for this kind of money, this little fellow better be lighter than the 996 GT3RS. And there is another confusing statement regarding PASM. According to this leaked press release, if real, the GT3 RS gets a very sporty PASM version. This doesn't make sense either.

To be honest: I don't know if this leaked(?) press release is true but it seems to have been translated directly from german language, a few things don't sound right to me. The release date is correct though, march/april 2006 was always on the schedule for Germany.

142000 Euro...OH BOY. I'm afraid that if this press release is real, we're gonna have some surprises regarding the Turbo too. I hope not but if true, I expect that ANYTHING is possible.

You're right RC, I'll wait for your confirmation first, but the press release surely sounds like it's written from Porsche. Having said that, the web is full of weird people.
    I read the part regarding PASM too and I think it's just a not great english translation meaning that the suspension setup has been developed by the same Weissach engineers who developed the PASM.
    But it clearly says earlier in the press release that the chassis is the same as the 997S sport chassis (10mm lower than PASM 991S) but even more sporty. That makes sense to me.
    But maybe the car will be available with PASM or sport chassis. Not really a GT3 anymore but no sign of PSM so far.

Quote:
    nberry said:

Hey everybody NEWS FLASH: NBERRY IS NOT TRYING TO BE NEGATIVE! Nberry, haven't you realized yet that you don't HAVE to try? What I don't understand is how come the Ferrari board doesn't hold your interest long enough so you don't feel like you have to come over to the P board to spread your anti- P sentiment. Go drive your car! Go get some sensory overload instead of sitting at your computer typing your moronic condescending verses of hate (or envy). Grow up!

Quote:
    nberry said:

It's not infantile at all, it's purely dictated by engineering.

It's to create ultimate downforce on the track Nick, that is why top speed it similar to X51, because of the significantly worse Cd.
    The GT3 is before all a road car made for the track, its client, by definition, favours performance to easthetics.
    That's the beauty of the 911 line up, there is one for every taste.

To my knowledge, all GT3 owners I know don't care at all about other people's look and are big track fans
    But I agree with you, a GT3 is always less elegant than a Carrera but not ugly at all IMO, I kinda like the aggression, although I do prefer clean lines.

If the news is accurate, the price will make the 997S X51 option a bargain.

If the GT3 is that expensive, what about the new GT2???

In the US, that same 142K Euros could get you a 997S with X51 AND a Corvette Z06.

Alternatively, in Nicks World, that same money would get you 3 used Ferrari Testarossas with low mileage, their 30K major service done and camoflauge covers so you don't look like a ridiculous "ricer" driving one.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    If the news is accurate, the price will make the 997S X51 option a bargain.

If the GT3 is that expensive, what about the new GT2???

In the US, that same 142K Euros could get you a 997S with X51 AND a Corvette Z06.

Alternatively, in Nicks World, that same money would get you 3 used Ferrari Testarossas with low mileage, their 30K major service done and camoflauge covers so you don't look like a ridiculous "ricer" driving one.

You guys should be ecstatic. With a price tag of $142k Nick is sure to pick one up, due to almost ensured exclusivity

Quote:
    nberry said:

Gee.. I notice that Ferrari road cars seem to sprout wings for the track versions , too , even the FXX version of the Enzo. Porsches and Ferraris, the original ricers , huh, Nick.

So let me sort things out:

the new 997 GT3 RS will be 142.112 Euro, but including the upgraded PCCB.
    The price difference between the 996 GT3RS and GT3 was about 18.000 Euro, but both were equipped with steel brakes if I remember correctly.

So my guess would be that the price of the new 997 GT3 will be something like 116.000 Euro, but with steel brakes.

Quite a big price increase, if you ask me.

So I'm expecting the new 997 turbo to cost at least around 142.000 Euro, but without the PCCB.

I'm also afraid that the already high demand for the 997 Turbo will result in a higher price tag. I also doubt that the "ordinary" non-S Turbo will have PCCB as a standard option. The latest rumor I heard was 135000 Euro for the 997 Turbo but after hearing about the 997 GT3 RS price tag, if true, I also think that the 997 Turbo may hit 140000 Euro or so. OUCH. I'm also disappointed with the GT3 RS power figure, I really expected 415 HP and not 405 HP. Performance seems impressive though, probably due to the reduced weight. But 142000 Euro for such a car...I don't know. I may go for it if the Turbo is too expensive and if it won't get AT LEAST 480 HP but right now, I really have to admit that I'm pretty confused. I really hope that Porsche doesn't have another "bad" surprise for us. If this press release is real, I'm afraid our two italian friends, Dario and Sergio, just jumped out the window.

I still have my doubts about that press release. Part of the "requirement" for an RS model is reduced weight. If this really was an official release for the GT3 RS, I think they would've mentioned how they reduced weight (some new innovative techiques and parts, no doubt) and given a weight figure.

It's also very weird to have info about the RS before the GT3...

I also think they would've found more than 24hp by increasing dispacement to 3.8L and increasing engine speed by 450rpm...

Quote:
    RC said:
    ...I really hope that Porsche doesn't have another "bad" surprise for us...

I'm afraid that Porsche, regarding their price policy, just joins the party like all the other manufacturers...

(BTW, the price for the X51 power kit was a first hint... )

Quote:
    Grant said:
    I still have my doubts about that press release. Part of the "requirement" for an RS model is reduced weight. If this really was an official release for the GT3 RS, I think they would've mentioned how they reduced weight (some new innovative techiques and parts, no doubt) and given a weight figure.

I also think they would've found more than 24hp by increasing dispacement to 3.8L and increasing engine speed by 450rpm...

As much as I don't want to believe it, it may be true. Of course it can't be excluded that this is only a well made hoax but the missing weight figure doesn't say much.
    I tried almost two hours to find a similar info from any other source we have at our disposal but interesting enough, nothing. The press release, if real, may have had a deadline (I suppose Monday, Nov. 14th) and maybe somebody got it too early and didn't care about this deadline. But I still hope it isn't true...

RC - Doesn't it seem weird that the 3.8 GT3RS motor would only make 24hp more than the 3.8 X51 motor, when the former revs 1,450 rpm higher?

Quote:
    Rossi said:
    (BTW, the price for the X51 power kit was a first hint...

Since the powerkit was actually a part of the 997 development, I was very surprised to see the exaggerated price tag. I expected something around 8000 Euro, maybe without sport exhaust. '
    Well, I'm pretty curious how long people are willing (and able) to pay such high prices. For me, paying these prices is almost insane, I have to work my butt off (sorry guys) to be able to afford such a car. If I wouldn't be THAT crazy about the 911, I would probably drive a BMW M5 by now. In my opinion, this is the best-you-can-get-for-your-money value right now. And of course the new Corvette Z06.

Quote:
    Grant said:
    RC - Doesn't it seem weird that the 3.8 GT3RS motor would only make 24hp more than the 3.8 X51 motor, when the former revs 1,450 rpm higher?

Nope. Two different engines, I bet that the GT3 RS engine is based on the "old" 993/GT1 engine design (like the former GT3/Turbo/GT2). The current Cup cars also have an output of 400 HP, 405 HP may be right, 415 HP sounded better. We never expected more than 420 HP but I have to admit that 405 HP weren't in the word either.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    Grant said:

As much as I don't want to believe it, it may be true. Of course it can't be excluded that this is only a well made hoax but the missing weight figure doesn't say much.
    I tried almost two hours to find a similar info from any other source we have at our disposal but interesting enough, nothing. The press release, if real, may have had a deadline (I suppose Monday, Nov. 14th) and maybe somebody got it too early and didn't care about this deadline. But I still hope it isn't true...

The price difference between 996 GT3RS and it's only real rival, the 360 CS, was 45k Euro.
    I expect the F430 CS to cost at least 185k, so - from this point of view - unfortunately 142k for the 997 GT3RS seem to be correct again...

Quote:
    RC said:
    I'm also afraid that the already high demand for the 997 Turbo will result in a higher price tag. I also doubt that the "ordinary" non-S Turbo will have PCCB as a standard option. The latest rumor I heard was 135000 Euro for the 997 Turbo but after hearing about the 997 GT3 RS price tag, if true, I also think that the 997 Turbo may hit 140000 Euro or so. OUCH. I'm also disappointed with the GT3 RS power figure, I really expected 415 HP and not 405 HP. Performance seems impressive though, probably due to the reduced weight. But 142000 Euro for such a car...I don't know. I may go for it if the Turbo is too expensive and if it won't get AT LEAST 480 HP but right now, I really have to admit that I'm pretty confused. I really hope that Porsche doesn't have another "bad" surprise for us. If this press release is real, I'm afraid our two italian friends, Dario and Sergio, just jumped out the window.

Alas, poor Italians, we knew them well...

So, RC, you're basically saying that the "S" version could hit a price tag of Euro 160.000? That's as much as a 430 Spider. The TTS Cab might cost as much as a 430 CS... Porsche better make this car in lesser volume or there are going to be a lot of pissed off pharmacists running around, both GErman and Italian...

Just imagine: 142000 Euro...280000 german marks a few years ago. What car could you buy for this kind of money at that time? I paid 109000 german marks for my 993 Targa, a very special price, new car price was 122000 german marks by that time (of course incl. german VAT). My wife's Boxster S costs more. This really is insane, honestly.

I forgot: if this leaked press release is real, has somebody thought of the possibility that the GT3 RS actually has the wider body and not the narrow body of the 997 Carrera and Carrera S? I don't know, I saw two different GT3 mules on various pictures, one narrow and one wide. The wider version looks better, maybe another reason for the lower top speed compared to the former 996 GT3 RS?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    763247 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435795 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260741 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257723 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    81007 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5323 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872687 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808163 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM