Crown

Board: AMG Mercedes Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: AMG GT R

From the corner speeds (e.g. Flugplatz) its on par with Cayman GT4 Production Test on MPSC2 and little slower as Aventador SV on developement Trofeo Rs but 280km/h at Schwedenkreuz - wow - it seems the car has around 620HP and the Traction out of corners is astonishing.

hunterone:

From the corner speeds (e.g. Flugplatz) its on par with Cayman GT4 Production Test on MPSC2 and little slower as Aventador SV on developement Trofeo Rs but 280km/h at Schwedenkreuz - wow - it seems the car has around 620HP and the Traction out of corners is astonishing.

Congratulations to AMG for building a car which is (almost) on par with the GT4 SmileySmiley

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | Powerkit White - The fastest car on Rennteam
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

MKSGR:
    KresoF1:

CG claims that car is extremly confidence inspiring on the limit and therefore much easier to drive on the limit then some competitors. Car is pure stock according to my Motorpresse friend and as you will see from forthcoming Supertest measured power is in order (at upper limit of legal limit) as well. 

Car is basically reingeneered version of original AMG GT S. 

So, your assumption is that Mercedes AMG can not do it and Porsche for example can? 

Or to put it on thin ice that CG and Sport Auto are on AMG pay list and are lying to the public? 

Kreso, I doubt it for the time being. Mercedes has a history of building underperforming sports cars and also a history of cheating the press... Based on this: yes, I doubt they can achieve something Porsche or Ferrari can achieve as they lack the expertise and the engineering know-how Smiley

Are you serious? They have been F1 champions by a large margin for the last years making Ferrari and all others look like amateurs! And it's not because of their drivers, it's the car which is far superior to competition. For that you need créme de la créme know how & tech. No wonder we are now seeing results on AMG road cars from their huge F1 investments.

--

J.Seven

MKSGR:
    KresoF1:

Delivery of costumer GT R starts in April 2017. Even late March 2017.

No expertise like Porsche or Ferrari? Well...

Also, 991.1 GT3 RS in Ultraviolett which was used for Supertest was basically also a preproduction car.

Now, imagine if 991.2 GT3 was tested on the Ring also as pre-production car by Sport Auto and achieved amazing time. Everyone here would be raving as much as possible. Double standards to say the most civilised description.

The difference is that Porsche has a track-record of building very good performing sports cars. Mercedes has the opposite of a track-record... Still, everything might be possible. I just feel it is highly unlikely Smiley

Mercedes builds race cars that lap just as fast as Porsche. If they wanted to constantly build GT3 competitive cars, they would. It's not their bread and butter. This time they just happened to make one that blows the doors of the GT3.

Whoopsy:

Hmm, I wonder what kind of record they will claim.

Fastest production car? Nope.

Fastest rear wheel drive car? Nope.

Fastest Turbo-ed car? Nope.

Fastest AMG Mercedes, I guess that's the one.

How about "Best all around engine hand built by AMG engineers" unlike the tsk..tsk GT3 / GT3 RS microwave flat-6, that owners never got a real answer or explanation as to why 9,000 rpm isn't achievable or safe while spending around  150k - 190k

I like it.

If only the BMW Familysport division could deliver a proper M car on the level of the GT3 that would be awesome. Some competition is healthy kiss

--

This would mean that they found roughly 25 seconds from the GT-S to the GT-R angel Look forwar to reading the test and of course further tests from other journalists.

Sounds very much like a nbr specific set up....same will come for sure from Ford very soon

One thing is sure though - porsche cannot just pack 30hp more in a new RS - that ship is sailed n kind of reconfirms what ive been saying long time

Ok. Got little bit more info.

First, it is special version of Cup 2 tuned for GT R. Second, indeed suspension is fine tuned for Nordschleife and Klein Kurs Hockeneheim. But, Porsche is doing the same for its GT models.

Forthcoming Huracan Performante and 488 Speciale will be even faster on the Ring then AMG GT R.

BiTurbo:

So, they made this lap time in the cold weather (4C = 39F).  This would be very bad for Cup 2 tires, but great for engine power and brake/powertrain temps...

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

KresoF1:

First, it is special version of Cup 2 tuned for GT R. Second, indeed suspension is fine tuned for Nordschleife and Klein Kurs Hockeneheim.

What is HHR time?  What is your guess for 991.2 GT3 HHR and NBR?

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

KresoF1:

First, it is special version of Cup 2 tuned for GT R. Second, indeed suspension is fine tuned for Nordschleife and Klein Kurs Hockeneheim. But, Porsche is doing the same for its GT models.

Forthcoming Huracan Performante and 488 Speciale will be even faster on the Ring then AMG GT R.

How much power did the GT R have? Certainly way over 600 hp...

I am with Markus on this one...Mercedes AMG has a certain "track record" (remember that infamous SL 55 AMG tested in AMS, which AMG much later on acknowledged was a prototype pre-production car and I lost my AMG Club membership because I claimed that the car has been "rigged" and nobody believed me...not that I got my AMG Club membership back and/or an apology...I didn't).

Of course Mercedes has the skills to build a very good track car but until I meet such a car on the road (or on the track) and see what it can do, I remain skeptical. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

RC:

How much power did the GT R have? Certainly way over 600 hp...

From Kreso's description of it being within legal limits, I would guess just a little over 600hp

--

Christian,

Above 600ps. You will see the exact number in forthcoming issue. But, still at legal limit.

Will I get GT R? No. Why? First, it is with 2002mm(without rear view mirrors!) too wide. Second, I have full faith in Porsche.

991.2 GT3 will be the car. At least I hope so. NA engine, great chassis, acceptable dimensions and in Carrera White Metallic or GT Silver Metallic border line socially acceptable.

KresoF1:

Will I get GT R? No. Why? First, it is with 2002mm(without rear view mirrors!) too wide.

Yeah, you can really see this in some of the video with the driver and passenger sitting very far away from each other - looks really weird compared to 911 and McLaren.

--

J.Seven:
    MKSGR:
    KresoF1:

CG claims that car is extremly confidence inspiring on the limit and therefore much easier to drive on the limit then some competitors. Car is pure stock according to my Motorpresse friend and as you will see from forthcoming Supertest measured power is in order (at upper limit of legal limit) as well. 

Car is basically reingeneered version of original AMG GT S. 

So, your assumption is that Mercedes AMG can not do it and Porsche for example can? 

Or to put it on thin ice that CG and Sport Auto are on AMG pay list and are lying to the public? 

Kreso, I doubt it for the time being. Mercedes has a history of building underperforming sports cars and also a history of cheating the press... Based on this: yes, I doubt they can achieve something Porsche or Ferrari can achieve as they lack the expertise and the engineering know-how Smiley

Are you serious? They have been F1 champions by a large margin for the last years making Ferrari and all others look like amateurs! And it's not because of their drivers, it's the car which is far superior to competition. For that you need créme de la créme know how & tech. No wonder we are now seeing results on AMG road cars from their huge F1 investments.

--

J.Seven

In the past, their street cars have not reaped the benefits from the F1 experience Smiley Why should it change suddenly?

Josef:

This would mean that they found roughly 25 seconds from the GT-S to the GT-R angel Look forwar to reading the test and of course further tests from other journalists.

This sounds ridiculous indeed Smiley Very unlikely to find 25s in a front engine car with limited capabilities.

RC:

I am with Markus on this one...Mercedes AMG has a certain "track record" (remember that infamous SL 55 AMG tested in AMS, which AMG much later on acknowledged was a prototype pre-production car and I lost my AMG Club membership because I claimed that the car has been "rigged" and nobody believed me...not that I got my AMG Club membership back and/or an apology...I didn't).

Of course Mercedes has the skills to build a very good track car but until I meet such a car on the road (or on the track) and see what it can do, I remain skeptical. 

Smiley

MKSGR:

In the past, their street cars have not reaped the benefits from the F1 experience Smiley Why should it change suddenly?

Simply because they want to? Do you really think any road car is at the pinnacle of what can be achieved? They all sandbag in order to extend the product life and prolong the inevitable, where performance doesn't get any better.

Just look at all the active aero and stuff going on lately. Aero isn't anything new. We've known about all these design features and have had active aero on airplanes for ages. It didn't really take them until 2017 to think of these things.

BjoernB:

One thing is sure though - porsche cannot just pack 30hp more in a new RS - that ship is sailed n kind of reconfirms what ive been saying long time

+1

I guess no more GT3 RS. There is only so much they can do with downforce and weight reduction. They need more power to stay on top. NA 4.0l won't cut. Hello GT2 RS.

--

noone1:
    MKSGR:

Simply because they want to? Do you really think any road car is at the pinnacle of what can be achieved? They all sandbag in order to extend the product life and prolong the inevitable, where performance doesn't get any better.

Just look at all the active aero and stuff going on lately. Aero isn't anything new. We've known about all these design features and have had active aero on airplanes for ages. It didn't really take them until 2017 to think of these things.

+1 

All these manufacturers are balancing on a fine line. For each new model, just enough improvement, but not too much. The mechanical and physical limit is getting closer and closer.

All these manufacturers could build a >800hp <7:00 minutes around the Ring car which also takes you to the supermarket in comfort. But that is it. Then there is no more to do and no more to sell.

--

Or even better big hello 991.2 GT3!

Want manual or PDK-S?

Want great NA engine?

Want excellent handling car that is still more then fast enough on the track or autobahn?

Want to spend up to 150.000,00€(Germany)?

The answer is forthcoming 991.2 GT3!

Remark: Powerkit White GT4 is not included becase of its rareness!

KresoF1:

Or even better big hello 991.2 GT3!

Want manual or PDK-S?

Want great NA engine?

Want excellent handling car that is still more then fast enough on the track or autobahn?

Want to spend up to 150.000,00€(Germany)?

The answer is forthcoming 991.2 GT3!

Remark: Powerkit White GT4 is not included becase of its rareness!

Nothing beats the GT4. Everyone knows that. So lets focus on the 2nd and 3rd place and below...

Yes, hello and good bye GT3. What are Porsche going to do next? A 4.0l NA 6-cylinder will not cut it anymore. Not when the competition is adding 100-200hp and twice the torque. Porsche can add as large wings as they want, the car won't lap faster than the competitors. The GT3 is the king and it has to remain the king. I am wondering how.

--

How?

I belive that 991.2 GT3 will be an excellent sports car. Not the fastest but, very, very capable.

My P source told me that 991.2 GTRS will be the one for ultimate track and speed addicts.

Downforce at least as good as on 991.1 GT3 RS with 330km/h top speed and Ring time close to 7.05min on road legal special new Cup tires. Yes, expensive as hell. It will be an ultimate 911 until 992 shows up. 

KresoF1:

Got that info from my Motorpress friend few days ago. CG was extremly impressed with GT R.

Car is very fast everywhere.  Be it country roads, autobahn or on the track. In fact on track it beats complete competition. It is much faster on the track then 675LT(Trofeos!) for example.

No Porsche can beat it on the Ring except 918 Spyder. New 991.2 GT3 is not nearly close and 991.2 GT2 RS mule did almost the same time few months ago (with close to 700ps).

Price wise GT R is a bargin as well. Kudos to Mercedes AMG for truly amazing product.

Btw, AMG GT R Supertest will be published very, very soon. Nordschleife record run is in current issue.

SmileyWait! That wasn't the Mercedes Pro-Driver test?Smiley

Kreso - u r talking about the GT2RS ! ?

http://www.bridgetogantry.com/did-amg-cheat-their-7m10s-gt-r-laptime/

angel 

...no, they did not indecision

--

bluelines:

http://www.bridgetogantry.com/did-amg-cheat-their-7m10s-gt-r-laptime/

angel

...no, they did not indecision

well if that is a "before" Picture then they did - if a "after" then it consumes a lot of tires for a lap indecision

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690475 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409755 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255993 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235271 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65647 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4657 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858405 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774682 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM