Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

997 Turbo - power estimates by two german car magazines

Two german car magazines recently provided power figures of the upcoming 997 Turbo. Since they didn't post them as rumors, I suppose that the REAL power is pretty close.
    Auto Zeitung (close ties to Porsche): 500 HP.
    Auto Bild (recent issue): 490 HP.
    Rennteam.com claim: 480 HP
    Latest rumors: 480-500 HP.

So I think that any claim below 480 HP is BS.
    Just can't wait...

Re: 997 Turbo - power estimates by two german car magazines

480 to 500 is awesome .

Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:
    480 to 500 is awesome .

Remember our POLL "how much power should the new 997 Turbo have?" more than a year ago? Most people voted 500 HP. It seems Porsche finally started to listen...

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:
    480 to 500 is awesome .

Remember our POLL "how much power should the new 997 Turbo have?" more than a year ago? Most people voted 500 HP. It seems Porsche finally started to listen...

Any hint for the TTS?

The german press never mentioned a 997 Turbo S but pretty often the 997 Turbo Cabriolet. Of course it is no secret that the there will be a 997 Turbo Cab, the question is only: when? One Porsche official I talked to actually said a little bit too much, I think. When I asked him about a Turbo S and that I really would need it next summer, he looked at me and said: "you're not interested in a Cabriolet, aren't you?" And then he changed the subject pretty fast, apparently he realized he said something wrong. I'm not sure that this means that the Turbo Cab comes at the same time with the Coupe but maybe, who knows?!

Quote:
    RC said:
    The german press never mentioned a 997 Turbo S but pretty often the 997 Turbo Cabriolet. Of course it is no secret that the there will be a 997 Turbo Cab, the question is only: when? One Porsche official I talked to actually said a little bit too much, I think. When I asked him about a Turbo S and that I really would need it next summer, he looked at me and said: "you're not interested in a Cabriolet, aren't you?" And then he changed the subject pretty fast, apparently he realized he said something wrong. I'm not sure that this means that the Turbo Cab comes at the same time with the Coupe but maybe, who knows?!

Thanks RC. I bet that information turns out to be better than anything else I've read already....I hope so.

I agree gents, the 997TT will be over 480 h.p. I mean come on it has to beat the the Z06 piece of crap right? The 997TT will be an a scary car and will have enough power to satisfy the most discriminating drivers. As for the S version, right now the TTS is not any faster than the TT despite the 444 H.P.

Boy, for all you future Turbo owners with your deposits in; gratz in advance- I'm feelin' a bit of the P-ENVY going on atm

Quote:
    RC said:

That would be a clear departure from their typical staggered release of coupe release -> wait 6 mos -> cab release, but Porsche knows that spring and summer is the best time for the cabs, so maybe...

I certainly hope this is true, in any case, because the sooner the cab is released, the sooner a TTS of either body style will appear, IMHO.

mcdelaug

Quote:
    edz61 said:
    I agree gents, the 997TT will be over 480 h.p. I mean come on it has to beat the the Z06 piece of crap right?

Even with 500hp, the 997TT will have less power and ALOT more weight than the Z06...

You must be a chevy lover with limited knowledge about cars!

If you read some of Grant's archived posts you'll see that what you said is not true.

Quote:
    Danny G said:
    If you read some of Grant's archived posts you'll see that what you said is not true.

very encouraging update~~

Quote:
    RC said:

At least from the standpoint of the US market, a fall 2006 TCab as a 2007 model would make sense. This would start putting these babies in the hands of buyers and on the roads by late winter to early spring of 2007.

bmw M5 is 500 ish.. they need to be a bit more. They are perfomance plus a sports car.. they are a Z06 version of their corvette... they need something to be better imo. In the end it will come down to taste, but I fear taste will stop next time.

Quote:
    JP66 said:
    Quote:
    Danny G said:

Let's cut edz61 some slack-his heart is in the right place. And we all know that Grant knows his s---. Besides, it's not all power-to-weight ratio's, is it? But that Z06 is one freakin' beast. Maybe Zuffenhausen can still dial in to the ECU a few extra HP for the stock specs., after all, those engines can be tuned for a quick extra 50+HP pretty easily. And I'm chomping at the bit to hear about the low-rpm torque afforded by the variable geometry turbo's.

TUR-BO, TUR-BO, TUR-BO, TUR-BO. . . .

Quote:
    edz61 said:

No, I'm not a Chevy lover, but I do think that the Z06 deserves alot of respect (especially for the money). I'm not saying that I would rather have a Z06 than a TT, just that I'm realistic about how the two stack up performance-wise. I think it's great to have brand loyalty, but I also think it's good to keep an open mind about the competition.

In this case, the competition costs less than 1/2 as much and posts some pretty impressive performance numbers (straight-line and road course).

Maybe the 997TT will be even faster (or not), but I don't think that the 997TT will "kick its ass". Anyways, GT2 performance for Cayman price should get someone's attention at Porsche. I'd like the effect to be that we will be able buy more powerful Porsches for less money in the future

Grant is a respected member of Rennteam and I find it strange to hear that kind of comment. Furthermore, his statements about the 997TT and Z06 are spot on. Clearly there is no anti-Porsche bias, looking at his garage. If anything, the comment should be directed the other way.

But at the request of Al, let's give Ed the benefit of the doubt.

- J

Quote:
    edz61 said:

Wow, you know nothing about Grant's knowledge of cars.

It's impressive to say the least.

I've often heard on here that Porsche understate the power output - so even if 997 TT claims 490bhp, in reality it could be 500+ for the average example?

Either way, as with when the 996 Turbo came out - I'm sure the 997 Turbo as an overall package will regain it's title of "King" once again!

On a side note - as used 996 Turbos are now almost half price of what a new 997 Turbo will cost, is the 996 Turbo not bargain of the century??!!

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    edz61 said:
    I agree gents, the 997TT will be over 480 h.p. I mean come on it has to beat the the Z06 piece of crap right?

Even with 500hp, the 997TT will have less power and ALOT more weight than the Z06...

I afraid so. But I still would like to see some real test data of the Z06. And of course I'm anxious to see the 997 Turbo test results. I have to admit that I heard a lot of rumors about power figures and 500 HP would be the most recommendable from a marketing point of view. But maybe Porsche underestimates the competition a little bit and this would be very sad. The new Corvette Z06 costs 80000 Euro over here in Germany at a well known german dealer in Munich, incl. 16% VAT. And he still seems to have cars available for a pretty soon delivery. These cars have the official 3-year european GM factory warranty and are not sold as grey imports. I think that for 80000 Euro, the Z06 is a real bargain. This version also is the european version which has been improved regarding suspension setup, tire setup and cooling. 80000 Euro, this is the price tag of a well equipped Cayman S, the price of the base 997 Carrera with a few minor options only. For 80000 Euro, this car is very very tempting. To be honest: if I would have the money, I would probably get one immediately, just as a fun car. And if it really is as good as it may be, the better.

But I'm also afraid that Porsche not only underestimates the competition, I truely think that Porsche actually doesn't care too much about the competition, hoping that customers will care more about the brand name and reputation than real performance. Although their current models are fine performers, it is not quite understandable why the 997 models have 325-355 "only", same applies to the Boxster and even the new Cayman S. Look at the new BMW Z4 M, more power than the base 997 Carrera, almost as much as the Carrera S, for the price tag of a Cayman S. This starts to be ridiculous, especially since BMW isn't a cheap producer from the far east but a reputable high quality car manufacturer.

Porsche has to react fast if they don't want to suddenly loose a market: if they want to charge customers a premium, they have to deliver premium performance, even on the paper. 480 HP are not enough to impress and the only reason I'm going for the Turbo is the fact, that I have been assured from various sources that the new Turbo is the hell of a perfomer. If these sources are wrong, I'll be a pretty unhappy person. And unhappy persons don't buy the same cars again, not even enthusiasts like me.

Great post RC & I'm with you. I am brand loyal, but there is a limit to what is acceptable. If the 997TT disappoints and is easily outgunned by so many other cars - I feel like it will be the end of an era where that beautiful silver "turbo" script meant something.

Let's hope that Porsche is listening.

I think the reason they will stay low on the HP of the 997TT is so they have room to go with the 997STT , Porsche is so into making money they seem to squeeze every drop out of the market .

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    edz61 said:

But better performance

Gents I did not mean any disrespect to Grant or anyone else about the Z06. True, the Z06 is a beast but how can you even compare the feel of a german engineered car with a Chevy. I swear if you put me in a german car with blind folds on I can tell what it is. The point is that it's not all about how many horse power and how fast a car is, it's about the way the driver and the car communicate, quality and so much quantity. There is a reason why teh Z06 cost $75,000. Porsche could not make car with that kind of performance at that price, if they did it would be in conflict with German engineering concepts and the car would fall apart as it would be a cheaply built car. Bottom line gents I enjoy talking to you and be part of your team. No I don't know eveything and it's my mere opinion. I apologize if I offended anyone.

Quote:
    edz61 said:
    Gents I did not mean any disrespect to Grant or anyone else about the Z06. True, the Z06 is a beast but how can you even compare the feel of a german engineered car with a Chevy. I swear if you put me in a german car with blind folds on I can tell what it is. The point is that it's not all about how many horse power and how fast a car is, it's about the way the driver and the car communicate, quality and so much quantity. There is a reason why teh Z06 cost $75,000. Porsche could not make car with that kind of performance at that price, if they did it would be in conflict with German engineering concepts and the car would fall apart as it would be a cheaply built car. Bottom line gents I enjoy talking to you and be part of your team. No I don't know eveything and it's my mere opinion. I apologize if I offended anyone.

Absolutely correct

...but which engine will it be based on? Still the aircooled roots or new and 3.8 liter? at least this is roumored to be true for the new GT3.

I was reading a magazine last week that dynoed the Z06,Viper and the GT40.
    Based on the rear wheel results they figured in drivtrain power loss and calculated the Z06 and Viper have closer to 530HP and the Ford - 600HP.

RC,

I share your opinion on the Z06 - I am very curious about upcoming tests from reputable sources such as AMS, SportAuto or FifthGear on TV.

I disagree on the power issue though - there HAS to be a limit on those issue. Mercedes raises hp numbers infinitely - esp. on cars that are not ready to handle all of this. BMW on the other hand contributed to this ridiculous issue of offering sport tires on regular cars - which made several manufacturers decide to make the same move. Even Porsche, as you stated, might jump on that train with the upcoming GT3.

A lot of people, esp. the ones that are new to the sportscar field, should learn to drive the cars first - where is the need to get more power? I know that you don't think that different on that issue!
    I might be willing to accept to see a couple more horses on the Carreras - something like 340 and 375 hp respectively - and this would have enabled the Cayman to get around 310 official hp from the beginning.

The TT on the other hand is targeted on another customer group that
    a. quite often moified the 996 TT to higher engine outputs and
    b. are willing to pay a premium to have one - if not the - best-packaged all-year performance car. As several comments indicate, thos people would neither stay loyal to the brand nor are willing to get this car if it is beaten by several cars on the road!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/16/24 3:13 PM
    watt
    754895 1797
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    431434 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258840 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255824 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79831 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5262 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868835 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    802764 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM