Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Bose or not to Bose

Yeah, they have the best collection of cars in NYC or NY for that matter -- all they are missing is Aston Martin...very nice gentlemen over there -- have you gone to other metro NY dealers - Pepe Porsche, Ray Catena?

I'm hoping this dealer comes through

Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:
    Yeah, they have the best collection of cars in NYC or NY for that matter -- all they are missing is Aston Martin...very nice gentlemen over there -- have you gone to other metro NY dealers - Pepe Porsche, Ray Catena?

I'm hoping this dealer comes through

The Size of a dealers Allocation very important to me. I've been to all of the below. Some a few times recently.
    Ranked in size of allocation. ~IMO

Pepe- Very small volume dealer. No allocation. Have heard bad things about sales.

Silver Star - Closest to my home. Small allocation. Good service department.

Jack Daniels - Decent guys, small allocation.

Prestige Porsche - A little larger volume then the above 3.

Porsche Huntigton - Larger allocation then above.

South Shore Porsche - Know them. Larger allocation than above 5. Ask for "Joe"

New Country Porsche (Greenwich) Know them well. Ask for "Curtis". Larger allocation then above 6

Legend - My dealer. Not the fanciest but the most aggressive pricing in Tri-state and very good allocation. Maybe tied w/ Greenwich. Ask for "Michael" - The owner.

Manhatten - Probably best allocation. "John" -Very, very good guy to deal with.

Brandywine (PA)- Visted a month ago. Probably move as much if not more than Manhatten. Great Dealer.

I've never been to Ray Catena. (that I can rememeber)

I listened to the Bose system at my local dealership taking a variety of well-mastered CDs with me. I thought the Bose system sounded very good...noticeably better than the standard sound system.

Having said that, I am 100% sure that you can install aftermarket systems which will be far far better than the Bose.

The question comes down to various factors: cost, convenience, neatness of installation, type of music you play and how loud you play it, whether you have an XLF sports exhaust to listen to instead or which will impact upon how much clarity you can hear to music.

You have to ask yourself how particular you are regarding sound quality and how much you want to spend in the pursuit of that. Personally, a top quality hifi system is more important to me at home where I can really hear the quality. In my car, there's too much road noise, engine noise, beeping horns etc to truly appreciate music plus in the right car, there's a great engine sound to listen to.

I guess you have to ask yourself how much these 'comfort' issues matter to you because they are not related to car performance.

My 10 cents worth...Good luck with your decision whichever way you go...

Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:
    Wilson Audio for one - arguably the finest speaker manufacturer in the world (based in Colorado)
    Mark Levinson - killer amps and electronics (Mass.)

McIntosh (New York), Martin Logan (Kansas), Definitive Technology (Maryland), Thiel (Kentucky) ... and the list goes on...

I wouldn't call these guys consumer products companies, they don't do a significant amount of business. They're specialty producers catering to people who think they have to spend a lot of money to get good sound. A car is definitely not the ideal listening environment; however, unlike home systems the listener position and listening room is known and this can be used to great advantage in the design process.

Granted, Bose definitely doesn't cater to audiophiles, the market is too small. Faithful reproduction is often traded for everyday practicality like system size. But to my ear 901 speakers deliver great sound for a thousand bucks or so.

Whilst I do take my home audio very seriously, I accept that the car is not the ideal listening environment. That's why I'm not going to spend a fortune upgrading the OEM system in my 997. However, I *do* think it's poor that I paid for an upgraded audio system in a Pounds72k car and the speakers rattle when I so much as increase the volume to a reasonable level.

I don't think I have to spend a lot of money to get good sound, I HAVE to spend that kind of money to get the sound I want. Hard to find a speaker that remains virtually neutral (Dynaudio Evidence is one of them).

For a $1000, try looking into Axiom speakers - very good sound for the price. They also handle tremendous amounts of power from any kind of amp you want - tube or not.

www.axiomaudio.com

I was considering keeping the head unit, replacing the off-board amp and putting some Dyn's or Focal for drivers....I doubt you'll be hearing any rattle, unless you forget to screw the speakers on correctly

Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:
    I was considering keeping the head unit, replacing the off-board amp and putting some Dyn's or Focal for drivers....I doubt you'll be hearing any rattle, unless you forget to screw the speakers on correctly

Thats what I'm going to do. Decent amp, Focal drivers, and sealed subwoofer behind seats. Best compromise between money you invest and sound improvement over Bose.
    No "mayor" work needed, stock-look, not very expensive, big gain over Bose, and no messing with the MOST bus. For me thats the best solution for the 997.

Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:
    I don't think I have to spend a lot of money to get good sound, I HAVE to spend that kind of money to get the sound I want. Hard to find a speaker that remains virtually neutral (Dynaudio Evidence is one of them).

For a $1000, try looking into Axiom speakers - very good sound for the price. They also handle tremendous amounts of power from any kind of amp you want - tube or not.

www.axiomaudio.com

I will, thanks. I've been looking for a pair of speakers for my study. Any thoughts on a basic stereo receiver/integrated amplifier for under $500 or so? Stereo seems hard to find these days, but, as I said, I'm no audiophile. Sorry this has nothing to do with cars.

What a bunch of jumped up arseholes !

If you want a good music system get one in your living room. If you want a decent car drive your 997 and forget about the music system. The standard set-up is just as good as a Bose system and if you want perfection go get a sodding Audi where you can crawl along at 20mph and listen to your fine tunes.

Check out some amps from NAD - they have affordable equipment with amazing performance. No NAD for cars yet though

Quote:
    jjr1 said:
    What a bunch of jumped up arseholes ! If you want a good music system get one in your living room. If you want a decent car drive your 997 and forget about the music system. The standard set-up is just as good as a Bose system and if you want perfection go get a sodding Audi where you can crawl along at 20mph and listen to your fine tunes.

Too much caffiene? I think the main issue here is how you use the car. If your 997 is a garage queen that is only taken out on serious driving excursions the BOSE is probably a waste of money. If you drive the car a great deal in real-world situations why not have great tunes? When you're stuck in traffic, coming home late at night, or on a long trip this is especially welcome. This is not a Caterham Seven, friend -- the 997 is two parts sports car and one part Grand Tourer. As to "perfection", a brand with the prestige of Porsche who offer the most sybaritic of luxuries (leather on everything, carbon-fiber out the wazoo, etc.) would do well to offer the option of true high end sound. Personally, I would also like the option of ordering the car in a lightweight decontented version to save 200 or 300 pounds. A sub-3,000 pound 911 would be an awful lot of fun...

Holy Mackerel!!!

MIA911 you pressed on a hot button on such a simple query regarding audio on an already fabulous car.

PS CA - you're right people on the board saying "ITS GREAT GET IT" without outlining how they got to that conclusion is probably not helping as much as person who did a comparison and then use that as their post. (Yes I am pleading no contest you honor moi is guilty)

And so MIA911 have the people elaborate ok! Then make your informed decision.

JJR1 - take your meds and breath a little ok BRO! I get that you like your standard Bose system no need to call everyone "a bunch of jumped up arseholes !" for wanting something more than what you have aaiight!

Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:
    Check out some amps from NAD - they have affordable equipment with amazing performance. No NAD for cars yet though

Thanks AJ.

I had ordered my 997s with the Bose without having had the opportunity to listen to the Bose. When I finally got the car, my reaction was that the Bose was "nice" but not wow. Certainly not the 997 of sound systems.

Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:
    I was considering keeping the head unit, replacing the off-board amp and putting some Dyn's or Focal for drivers...

I play drums as a hobby in a small room in my basement mostly playing along with store bought CD's/DVD's and record it all using Pro Tools hardware and software (on my computer). I take the end product and burn my own CD to take with me when I'm driving and the Bose unit does an OK job playing back the music except the music feels off balance some of the time. After playing with all the controls and the PCM its the fine tuning that makes a huge difference. Too much music comes from the front, especially front center (thats what surround sound is suppose to do I know). If I'm watching a movie thats fine but to listen to music in a car I prefer 2 channel stereo w/4 speakers front and rear with most of the bass coming from the rear. The Bose core sound is centered more up on the dashboard. Adjusting the front / rear fade is the only way to correct this. Bose is a step in the right direction and most of the time the noise I want to hear comes from the rear and its not music from speakers but the sound of a flat six. My home stereo will take care of the rest.

Full Audio update to my 997 with IPOD integration

I did a full upgrade to my bose system with IPOD integration. You can check out the post: http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php?Cat...true#Post113724

Re: Full Audio update to my 997 with IPOD integration

I put the Bose on my Boxster and am very impressed with it. If only I could get a home hi-fi with that quality of sound!
    I now await for the suggestions from all the hi-fi buffs out there....

Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    I put the Bose on my Boxster and am very impressed with it. If only I could get a home hi-fi with that quality of sound!
    I now await for the suggestions from all the hi-fi buffs out there.... [/quote

You don't want to get me started DreamCar.......

Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:
    Quote:
    dreamcar said:

Suggestions welcome, ajcanstaneda, I know what I like in sports cars, but I am no expert in hifi. I just know that I like the sound of the Bose, the cheapish Pioneer mini system in my home falls a long way short.

I would not get again. The base is grreat but the driving noise makes it difficukt to appreciate the high frequencies.

Bose baby. How did I come to this conclusion? Listened to a 997 with the Bose speakers as well as one without. Bose was better.

Yes there are better stuff out there. Its a free country (at least in the US) so everyone is free to do what ever they wish to their own cars. Including putting on 20 inch spinners on them!!!!

i've got wilsons, krells & tubes in my living room. for 997, i hv stock audio & PSE!!

imo, car audio will never come close to home audio so why bother with extra weight & all?! rather listen to the engine.

Good point AS....

PSE @ 5000+ rpms.... aahhhh none sounds better.

Quote:
    AS said:
    i've got wilsons, krells & tubes in my living room. for 997, i hv stock audio & PSE!!

imo, car audio will never come close to home audio so why bother with extra weight & all?! rather listen to the engine.

I absolutely agree with you, but the Mark Levinson setup in my Lexus (both the GS and LX) will outperform many peoples home setup. The sound is increadible, especially since there are 11-13 speakers strategically placed in a cabin that is accoustically sheilded somewhat and small, as opposed to a room. I would not dismiss car audio all together. I have never felt BOSE stuff to be very good (and especially in a 'noisy' car may not be as important) but I love my music and I want it to be as clean as can be so any improvement over stock is welcomed.

Sorry haven't read entire thread yet, just want to say that I'm having so much fun listening to the car, I may NEVER turn on my radio!

The engine noise from a Lexus is much quieter than a 997. I think this makes a huge difference in how a particular stereo sounds. Yes, the Mark Levinson is a good sounding system but it does not have to overcome the engine and road noise that is present in a 997.

ps castaneda..
    they are better speakers than dynaudio or focal.. the accuton and eton mounted in my eidolon diamond....
    ciao

Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:
    Quote:
    dreamcar said:

Any mini system with the speakers placed correctly will sound more true to the original than the bose in the car.

Bose is so artificial when you hear how the tunes are supposed to sound. Don't get me wrong, BOSE is impressive, just not accurate (or before i get flamed by the other audio buffs here BOSE is more coloured than other systems)

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    764805 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436815 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261180 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    258081 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82707 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5331 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

877140 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    809292 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM