Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayman Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Interesting comments from Excellence.

Some reasons to love the Cayman on its own merits.....

The resulting noise is better than any 911 Carrera in recent memory, eclipsed among modern Porsche's by only the 996 GT3 and Carrera GT - both of which play their music to thrilling, intoxicating red-lines well past 8000 rpm. This car's short-stroke 3.4 can't match the exhilarating nature of those exotic power plants at or near their red-lines, but that's only because it's not been allowed to. The tach needle in the Cayman S sprints past 6000 rpm as if it wants to - no, needs to - get to eight grand and beyond. It's too bad the rev-limiter cuts in at 7300 rpm.

In this drive, on these roads, it will do so often. That because the Cayman S' 3.4 liter flat six is so creamy at 6000 rpm that it can deceive a driver into thinking he or she is at, say, 4000 rpm. Back on curvy country lanes, both of us exit a few corners and trip the limiter. Every time, the boxer six felt and sounded like it was at 4000 rpm or so. But the needle was sitting at six grand, just 1300 rpm short of the rev-limiter. It's a mistake we haven't made in a 3.6 and 3.8 liter 997s -or -oddly, in a 3.2 liter Boxster S.

The reason is this 3.4-liter version of the 987/997 motor feels far more eager than any of the three power plants listed above. The sprint from 6000 to 7300 rpm is positively electric, as if this engine is closer to the normally-aspirated GT family than its Boxster/Carrera roots should allow it to be. Like the underrated 3.4 liter engine Porsche used in its 1999-2001 996, the Cayman S' flat six is far more elastic than its cousins - as if this is the exact displacement, bore, and stroke it was really meant to have.

Re: Interesting comments from Excellence.

The rest of this article is also very interesting for those of us who want a Cayman. Like most other articles out there, they really do rate the Cayman S highly. But then again, perhaps they are also caught up with the Porsche marketing hype.
    PS: In case some people don't have the same sense of humour as me, the last sentence was written in jest. Let's not start another "war" on this thread.

Yeah,

I'm avoiding the "other" thread now!

Excellence gives good reviews and are trustworthy. They even caught Walter Rorhl shining them on about the C4 and
    have been the only magazine to point out the negatives of PASM on the 997.

If they claim that the 3.4 Cayman engine is the best of the M96 bunch they must be right.

Actually I have seen negative comments in other magazines.
    Definitely in Autocar (UK) who have recommended the 997 over the 997S.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Excellence gives good reviews and are trustworthy. They even caught Walter Rorhl shining them on about the C4 and
    have been the only magazine to point out the negatives of PASM on the 997.

If they claim that the 3.4 Cayman engine is the best of the M96 bunch they must be right.

They are typically objective and not shy about stating their opinions....a couple of years ago they tested the Boxster and Boxster S side-by-side and concluded that the S was not worth the premium in price over the base car.....

Quote:
    964C2 said:
    They are typically objective and not shy about stating their opinions....a couple of years ago they tested the Boxster and Boxster S side-by-side and concluded that the S was not worth the premium in price over the base car.....

Then, whoever made this statement, should have his head examined.
    Regarding the Cayman S engine: I'm surprised to hear that the "old" M96 engine out of the 996 makes such a good engine. Surprisingly, Excellence should say the same about the 997 Carrera (not S!). And if the 997 Carrera S is not worth the premium over the 997 Carrera, the 1.5 seconds performance gain from 0-125 mph aren't worth it either.
    So why should people order the powerkit? It provides "only" another 1.5 sec. better performance from 0-125 mph.
    Why would people pay more for the 997 GT3, it provides "only" another 1.5 seconds performance gain from 0-125 mph. And why go for the 997 Turbo, it "only"...

So what Excellence actually wants to tell you is: buy a standard Boxster and a hard top and you'll get the cheapest and best Porsche ever for only a third of the money of a 997 Turbo.

Sorry, guys...I trust only...ME, MYSELF and...I.

The "negatives" of the PASM could be read over here on Rennteam.com even before cars were in owner's hands. But I remember a similar discussion, customers who ordered PASM were pretty mad at us because we said what we said.

It is always the same: if somebody spends money for a product he believes in, he has to believe in it. Otherwise he would look pretty dumb, right?!

Regarding the Cayman S engine sound: as some of you will hear it soon, only one thing: it sounds a little bit less screaming in the upper rev range and a bit more 911 like. I'm not sure I understand what Excellence means but maybe my ears just went bad and I should check my doctor for a Tinnitus.

The last comment I'll ever make about the Cayman S discussion is People always get what they deserve...which reminds me a little bit of our government here in Germany.

RC, you make some very good points as usual and you stumbled upon Porsches product marketing psychology.

Look at the Halloween styling of Audi, Mercedes, BMW and Porsches engine and options strategies,you can see that
    Germany is in trouble.

German car companies have been in a automotive disneyland but the park is about to close. Continued economic downturn there or in the US and their product pricing strategy will collapse like a house of cards.

In the US, when the housing market cools off and interest rates start to go up, Porsche sales will shrink. Price and content adjustments will have to be made to keep dealers from going out of business.

Porsche will have to rebalance its business philosphy from its emphasis on creating shareholder value to creating solid customer value and accept smaller profit margins.

first of all i dont know if i am reading a comment by RC or watching pac-man, second of all everyone knows that porsche made a mistake with the 911 by putting the engine where it is, so why the die hard fanatism?.

Everyone should keep in mind that the 3.4 iteration in the Cayman is not exactly the same engine that appeared in the 996. The heads and particularly cam profiles & variocam provide a very different breathing profile. The power delivery is clearly different and you would expect that it spins higher more easily.

This thread is starting to drift in the direction of the "other" one... As RC has said many times, the Cayman is not a 997 - we shouldn't ecpect it to be. We'll all need to wait and see what our subjective opinions are after we drive the car...

Of course, if someone drops in a 3.8 or TPC figures out how to supercharge the 3.4 we could have a really interesting mix of power/dynamics...

perhaps I've lost the discussion about "negatives" of PASM, could you give me the discussion-link or make me a brief about it?

Quote:
    boobdear said:
    first of all i dont know if i am reading a comment by RC or watching pac-man, second of all everyone knows that porsche made a mistake with the 911 by putting the engine where it is, so why the die hard fanatism?.

I would try to PLAY pac-man, instead of watching it.
    If you want to provoke only, go ahead. But maybe you should remove the Audi from your "what sportscar(s) do you own?" in your profile because this doesn't go too well with the claim that you own a F430 and Gallardo too, besides the Cayman S you ordered.

So what is it now? Audi? Lambo? Ferrari? I hope you read our forum rules. You're free to express your opinion but impersonating somebody else (apparently an adult in this case) or making false claims makes you a candidate for being banned. So please do yourself a favor: if you want to talk sportscars, prove that you know what you're talking about. We're no Kindergarten, there are enough other car forums for those who love to mistake their Grand Tourismo Playstation reality with THE reality.

I thought Excellence was a magazine devoted to Porsche. Why would anyone think they are objective.

the "audi" that i own happens to be my town car, which is what the cayman will become, and like i said before it seems like you who has more fun playing video games(pacman) than me

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:Porsche will have to rebalance its business philosphy from its emphasis on creating shareholder value to creating solid customer value and accept smaller profit margins.

In the long run, they should both amount to the same thing.

Yes, I should have edited that to include balance.

So the combination radar detector,gps,forward looking night vision cctv cam is coming out soon?

Quote:
    boobdear said:
    the "audi" that i own happens to be my town car, which is what the cayman will become, and like i said before it seems like you who has more fun playing video games(pacman) than me

I still wonder why you would mention your "town car" in your profile...and no sportscar at all.
    Maybe you don't have fun playing video games because you seem to know Pac-Man only?

And I ask myself what is worse: me, playing video games, owning three Porsche and DRIVING them or you, not playing video games and driving an Audi. I don't know...

BTW: I'm not sure I understand the video game comment but honestly, I enjoy playing Battlefield 2 and Call of Duty 2 lately, especially since I don't have much time to vent my working stress during some fun on the track. Shooting virtual bad guys does it too for me. Driving Games? I prefer to actually drive the REAL thing on a REAL street.

How about some short F430 and Gallardo reviews for us, incl. some pictures? Or are you too busy driving your Audi?

Quote:
    RC said:
    I'm not sure I understand the video game comment

RC, I think boobdear was commenting on your (generous) use of the emoticons/icons/gremlins/whatever they're called in your post.

PS - I'm only the messenger so don't get mad at me please.

Quote:
    plz said:
    RC, I think boobdear was commenting on your (generous) use of the emoticons/icons/gremlins/whatever they're called in your post.

PS - I'm only the messenger so don't get mad at me please.

Now I get it. I'm using so many emoticons because in the past, people got pretty mad on me because of some of my comments and I want to make sure that people understand that I'm not taking this whole stuff very very serious.

I'm not getting mad at you, why should I? I accept comments and opinions, no problem, every person has a right to say what he thinks. But I don't have too much sympathy for "fake" people who claim to be somebody they aren't.

BTW: the short Cayman S review I intended to post, has been abandoned. Instead we're planning a comparison to the 997 Carrera S and Boxster S instead, including track driving, etc. I'm not sure however if we're going to be able to do that because of the changing weather over here. Keep your fingers crossed, maybe we're lucky.

hmmmmm, I wonder what will be the outcome?

Quote:
    boobdear said:
    ...everyone knows that porsche made a mistake with the 911 by putting the engine where it is, so why the die hard fanatism?.

Pardon my ignorance but I was not aware of this so called "mistake". Could you elaborate a bit more on this subject?

Quote:
    bluelines said:
    [Pardon my ignorance but I was not aware of this so called "mistake". Could you elaborate a bit more on this subject?

It is a mistake because he was looking for the engine in the wrong place.

sound like jeremy clarkson( that old twat) using this boobdear nickname to spy on these forum!

bee.....
    why are you following me?.....
    i'm not a flower!.....

Quote:
    bazza said:
    sound like jeremy clarkson( that old twat) using this boobdear nickname to spy on these forum!

Not possible. Remember Jeremy's comments about the Cayman when the photos were first released? He hated it. Speaking of Jeremy, anyone knows when the new series starts again? We may well see a review of the Cayman S there soon.

Topgear starts 13th November

o! boobdear like cayman?

Quote:
    WAY said:
    Quote:
    bazza said:

Not possible. Remember Jeremy's comments about the Cayman when the photos were first released? He hated it. Speaking of Jeremy, anyone knows when the new series starts again? We may well see a review of the Cayman S there soon.

He said he hated the rear of the car, but they had then two press photos

Quote:
    WAY said:
    Speaking of Jeremy, anyone knows when the new series starts again? We may well see a review of the Cayman S there soon.

I'd rather wait for Tiff or Jason to test it on 5th Gear. At least you will get an objective test from someone who knows what he's talking about!

Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    Quote:
    WAY said:
    Speaking of Jeremy, anyone knows when the new series starts again? We may well see a review of the Cayman S there soon.

I'd rather wait for Tiff or Jason to test it on 5th Gear. At least you will get an objective test from someone who knows what he's talking about!

to that!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688576 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408704 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255522 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234786 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65394 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4635 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857584 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773378 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM