Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Cayenne SUV sales fell by nearly half

i saw the thread title and figured this would be a thread from nick

Let me beat Nick to the punch....

Whatever will Porsche do now? They are in an unrecoverable tailspin and the whole ship will go down in flames. If only somebody could convince them to cut the Cayenne line altogether. Then add more HP to the Cayman and at least double its price as they cut its volume to a third. Convince them that 40 years of history is an unrepeatable fluke so the 911 should be put to pasture with the Cayenne. If only one man could convince them, the company would be saved, REAL sportscars would prevail and peasants couldn't soil the image of the brand because they couldn't afford the cars. What else did I miss?

Re: Let me beat Nick to the punch....

lol, you pretty much nailed it

Quote:
    Whatever will Porsche do now? They are in an unrecoverable tailspin and the whole ship will go down in flames

i've got nothing to add

Cayenne sales down while Hummer H3 sales were a smashing success during the same quarter. Go figure that one.

Porsche blamed the overall sales drop on Katrina, saying explaining that the Florida dealerships suffered customer delivery delays.

But that doesnt explain Cayenne sales cliff jumping.

Maybe its overpriced, underequipped and not seen as fresh, new and attractive by buyers. The new price increase surely didnt help Cayenne sales.

I always thought it was a mistake for them to not push cayenne v6's and v8's with manual transmissions, a bit more offroad content and looks to give it a sportier dual purpose look and feel. Instead they went the show truck route with uber expensive options.

Usually Porsche sales do great when real estate values are rising. Maybe their fall is telling us something.

I'm confused, why is Porsche 'in an unrecoverable tailspin'?
    Forbes says: "Porsche saw improved demand for its Boxster 987 and 911 Carrera models". That doesn't look like a tailspin to me.

Oh, the cayenne doesn't sell anymore? Well, f*ck it. Maybe they'll just kill it. I'm tired of all the twats buying cayennes to show off.

Edit: Heh, i'm slow. That was a Nick impersonation

Quote:
    brunner said:
    I'm confused, why is Porsche 'in an unrecoverable tailspin'?
    Forbes says: "Porsche saw improved demand for its Boxster 987 and 911 Carrera models". That doesn't look like a tailspin to me.

The German press release says that Oct. 04 was the best selling month ever for cayennes in US/Canada. Therefore this base effect should be considered if comparing Oct. 05 sales figures. Cayenne sales for Oct. 05 = 1,208 units (average previous months 1,100) - so the Cayenne sales figure seems not to be a big surprise. However, the big SUV party may come to an end even in the US, where customers have started complaining about rising fuel prices.

Sports cars have showed increasing sales: Carrera 924 units (+ 16% vs. Oct. 04), Boxster 571 units (+ 257%).

Quote:
    Stephen said:
    Whatever will Porsche do now? They are in an unrecoverable tailspin and the whole ship will go down in flames. If only somebody could convince them to cut the Cayenne line altogether. Then add more HP to the Cayman and at least double its price as they cut its volume to a third. Convince them that 40 years of history is an unrepeatable fluke so the 911 should be put to pasture with the Cayenne. If only one man could convince them, the company would be saved, REAL sportscars would prevail and peasants couldn't soil the image of the brand because they couldn't afford the cars. What else did I miss?

Monthly comparisons are very misleading, because they are skewed by model introductions throughout the year. The important metric is total annual sales, annual revenue and annual profit!

Quote:
    zzboba said:
    Quote:
    Whatever will Porsche do now? They are in an unrecoverable tailspin and the whole ship will go down in flames

i've got nothing to add

Hopefully nothing will happen to Porsche but it sounds like Compaq Computer revisited.
    They became a power house and bought out Digital Corp. and there you have it they went down.

They need the Cayenne facelift sooner than later, IMO.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Cayenne sales down while Hummer H3 sales were a smashing success during the same quarter. Go figure that one.

Porsche blamed the overall sales drop on Katrina, saying explaining that the Florida dealerships suffered customer delivery delays.

But that doesnt explain Cayenne sales cliff jumping.

Maybe its overpriced, underequipped and not seen as fresh, new and attractive by buyers. The new price increase surely didnt help Cayenne sales.

I always thought it was a mistake for them to not push cayenne v6's and v8's with manual transmissions, a bit more offroad content and looks to give it a sportier dual purpose look and feel. Instead they went the show truck route with uber expensive options.

Usually Porsche sales do great when real estate values are rising. Maybe their fall is telling us something.

Jim,
    Was your post also meant to be parody of Nick's typical contributions, like some of those above it, or are those your own views. Hard to tell the difference.

Quote:
    Stephen said:

You actually missed DRIVING the current Porsche models. I couldn't disagree more regarding the Cayenne and whoever drove a Cayenne Turbo would agree with me.

And of course you're missing another thing: Porsche sold more than double the predicted figures of the Cayenne. So even with half the sales, the Cayenne is still profitable.
    There are two problems regarding the Cayenne: the expected facelift (which was expected for 2006 but apparently has been delayed for 2007) which made dealers order less cars and customers wait with orders and of course the higher fuel prices which put a lot of pressure upon SUV sales worldwide but especially in the US.

Believe it or not but Porsche expected a drop in sales, some were even surprised how well the Cayenne is still selling. The future of Porsche is actually building around 100000 cars per year, maybe 120000. This includes all models, the 997, the 987, the Cayman, the Cayenne and of course the upcoming Panamera. Especially now, the Panamera makes for sense than ever. I know a lot of Porsche owners who bought a Cayenne and owned a limousine before. They surely want to go for a Panamera sooner or later.

I really don't understand why some people are demanding "REAL" sportscars from Porsche. They HAVE real sportscars available and others will be added to the 997 model line. If you're really claiming that the 997 isn't a "REAL" sportscar, you INDEED missed something. Driving fun.

Ummm. RC, I think you overlooked Stephen's "Subject" headline.

He was practising the art of irony.

Quote:
    fritz said:

Damn...I knew it. Fell for it...again.
    Too many posts on the Cayman forum, see what happens?!

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    fritz said:

Hahahaha! mental note to self: stay outta the Cayman forums... or i'll end up like RC

Quote:
    Stephen said:

1 more thing Stephen... Ask their salesmen to use some of this on their customers...

I believe that is standard equipment for all of Porsche's employees.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    fritz said:

...and this irony wasn't even subtle ... announced in advance ...

It's okay RC, you can't catch them all.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM