Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Carrera Sport Wheels

Thinking of changing my order to the Carrera Sport Wheels. I currently have the Classics on my order. Car Color GT Silver Metallic. Thinking the wider Carrera Sports will fill out the wheel wells better and look nice with my paint choice as they are GT Silver also. Big downside is they look a lot harder to clean.

Any thoughts?

Re: Carrera Sport Wheels

Yeah I have for my Atlas Grey 4S Coupe arriving 11-11-05, can't wait.
    hello again.

Hi:

I get around don't I?

What was your deciding factor on going with the new Sports?

- they are wider than the others apparently
    - they are painted GT Silver colour whereas the other 3 are all same alloy colour
    - they have only just come out so therefore there will be less of this type of wheel around.
    - i like the look of them, i think the other spoked one has too many spokes.

Regards

Quote:
    996toomey said:
    Thinking of changing my order to the Carrera Sport Wheels. I currently have the Classics on my order. Car Color GT Silver Metallic. Thinking the wider Carrera Sports will fill out the wheel wells better and look nice with my paint choice as they are GT Silver also. Big downside is they look a lot harder to clean.

Any thoughts?

Go for it , they will look fab ..

throt..

Thank you. Sent the change order to my dealer via e-mail find out tomorrow if the change can still be made. I am at the eleventh hour on changes. It was the techequipment thread above with the pictures of the wheels on the black car. I like it. Didn't care for it on the configurator but in the real life pics I think they look good and the positives outwaigh the negatives IMO.

Thanks.

Quote:
    996toomey said:
    Thinking of changing my order to the Carrera Sport Wheels... Big downside is they look a lot harder to clean.

Any thoughts?

I took my car to the dealer to have it washed after my first attempt w/o Griot's package arrival. (got scared) The guy washed my Sport Design wheels in less than 10 min. Even got all the way to the inside of the wheel. He had a dedicated bucket w/ diluted degreaser and two different brushes. One round 2" dia. x 12" soft bristle for deep and a different one for the face. No problem!

BTW, The Carrera Sports are sharp in GCT color. Perfect for your car.

I know I am sold on them now. I hope the dealer can make the change. My car is a Nov. Bld so should be locked down anytime. Was able to make a couple changes Friday so will keep my fingers crossed.

Besides the look of the wheel, I'd also consider the extra weight of the fatter wheel/tire combo, plus what will likely be a greater tendancy to understeer with those fatties on the back (that will still be present despite the front wheels also being fatter). On a C4 or C4S it doesn't matter b/c the wheels are already that width, but it will likely make a difference on a C2 or C2S.

If you're not dead set on them just on looks, I'd be cautious without driving them first.

Silver Bullet:

Did give some thought to the weight issue but did not consider understeer. Is this going to be much more likely with this wheel set? I really do not want to increase understeer, too much already exists IMO.

Thanks.

Do you think Porsche compensates for any increased understeer that may be caused by these wheels with alignment and offsets etc.?

TIA.

Quote:
    996toomey said:
    Do you think Porsche compensates for any increased understeer that may be caused by these wheels with alignment and offsets etc.?

TIA.

I wouldn't count on it.

They certainly have in the C4S with more than just offsets. But then, they had to, because the 996 C4 understeered so much. I couldn't believe it when I heard how fat the rear tires were going to be on the 997 C4, and I initially thought it was going to be a huge mistake. Then I heard the early reports from journalists on the Monaco bandwagon with Walter Rohl and thought maybe there was something to the "adjustments'. Latest word (from this forum actually) is that the 997 C4 still understeers big time - so maybe I wasn't so wrong in the beginning after all.

Look at the wheel that the GT3 gets - the Cup car especially. That will tell you about the optimal wheel for performance. Everything else is really style - and there may be a price to pay for that.

I suspect the "Sport" wheel will not be that sporty after all.

I'll wait for Carlos to chime in. He will undoubtedly have more intelligent things to say about the matter.

SB:

I think you make very valid points. Already starting to second guess myself with which I have had a lot of time to do waiting on this order. I agree with your view, but doubt I will have the car to the extreme points of the limits where I might tell a difference. I am sure a professional at track turn in speeds may notice it more. Would the same be true of the increased understeer between a base 997 with the 265/18 rears vs a 997S with the 295/19 rear? Would the 997S have increased understeer vs the base 997?

TIA.

Quote:
    996toomey said:
    SB:

I think you make very valid points. Already starting to second guess myself with which I have had a lot of time to do waiting on this order. I agree with your view, but doubt I will have the car to the extreme points of the limits where I might tell a difference. I am sure a professional at track turn in speeds may notice it more. Would the same be true of the increased understeer between a base 997 with the 265/18 rears vs a 997S with the 295/19 rear? Would the 997S have increased understeer vs the base 997?

TIA.

I bet that the 997S understeers more than the 997, especially since the front wheels are 235 on both. It has to. The upside is that the extra torque in the 997S is more efficiently transferred to the road by the fatter tires resulting in better straight line acceleration.

Manthey Motors - a race tuner of Porsche in England - has been quoted as saying the 18 inch wheel is optimal for performance. I know that's rim size, but I'm not aware of an 18 inch wheel available for the 911 that's 305, so I must assume they are referring to a wheel that is < 305. Wlater Rohl has been quoted as saying the 18's are best. The thought of a 997S with 18 inch wheels has crossed my mind, but it would hurt resale value considerably.

The GT3 Cup car has 18's, and while I don't know how fat they are, I bet they're not 305 on the back.

Carlos will straighten us all out . . .

The base Carrera coupe with the PCCB option and without PASM understeers the least and has the most involving response for transient manuevers. If you can get the
    optional sports susepension, so much the better!

Choose your weapons accordingly!

GT3 Cup car (with 400+ hp) has 9x18" fronts, 11x18" rears (vs.8" front wheel width for all other 997). perhaps wider front balances out the 11" rears?

question is - whether 9" fronts will fit on a stock 997?!

Most aftermarket rims seem to spec the width to 19"x8.5" at the moment, dunno about 9"

What is the width of front tires for the 18"x9" GT3 wheel?

Maybe your English expert has a point. I have 19s (Classic) on my 997 without PASM and I have felt from the beginning that the ride was unnecessarily hard, the tires loud, and the feel a little too grippy. The car feels well planted, but somehow unnatural--too much tire, too much rubber on the road. I am considering trying that stock 18s to see if the drive feels better. I hate to part with the Carrera classic 19s because they look so much better than the stock 18s.

GT3 Cup wheel/tire specs:

Front: 9J x 18", Michelin 24/64-18
    Rear: 11J x 18", Michelin 27/68-18

Err ..how does that translate into our common tire language
    Thanks

Quote:
    Silver Bullet said:
    Quote:
    996toomey said:

TIA.

I wouldn't count on it.

They certainly have in the C4S with more than just offsets. But then, they had to, because the 996 C4 understeered so much. I couldn't believe it when I heard how fat the rear tires were going to be on the 997 C4, and I initially thought it was going to be a huge mistake. Then I heard the early reports from journalists on the Monaco bandwagon with Walter Rohl and thought maybe there was something to the "adjustments'. Latest word (from this forum actually) is that the 997 C4 still understeers big time - so maybe I wasn't so wrong in the beginning after all.

Look at the wheel that the GT3 gets - the Cup car especially. That will tell you about the optimal wheel for performance. Everything else is really style - and there may be a price to pay for that.

I suspect the "Sport" wheel will not be that sporty after all.

I'll wait for Carlos to chime in. He will undoubtedly have more intelligent things to say about the matter.

Porsche has worked to minimize the 4S under-steer by dialing in a bit more negative camber.
    Here ae some settings:

997 Carrera -15*
    997 Carrera 'S' (PASM) -25*
    997 Cattera 4 -30*
    997 Carrera 4S (PASM) -40*

OK, order changed and confirmed. I do not think any potential understeer problem should bother me in my driving.

Quote:
    996toomey said:
    OK, order changed and confirmed. I do not think any potential understeer problem should bother me in my driving.

I think a GT Silver 997 with the (GT Silver) XRR wheels will look fantastic!

Here's the Porsche Car Configurator's interpretation of it:

Thanks. Is that from thee U.S> configurator? My colors all look so muted.

No this is from the German 2D version. The German website always gets the latest updates first, and for some reason the cars look more real in the 2D version than the 3D version. (Probably because it is a picture and not a Flash file)

Quote:
    temm said:
    Quote:
    996toomey said:

I think a GT Silver 997 with the (GT Silver) XRR wheels will look fantastic!

Here's the Porsche Car Configurator's interpretation of it:

Definitely , in the flesh very sexy..

throt..

Picked this up in the Cayman forum. I like them, but for some reason they're not available for the Cayman in the US. Maybe later?

That looks fabulous.
    Bet you can't wait 996toomey.
    Am looking forward to mine with Atlas Grey - only 8 more days.

Quote:
    Silver Bullet said:
    Quote:
    996toomey said:
    SB:

TIA.

I bet that the 997S understeers more than the 997, especially since the front wheels are 235 on both. It has to. The upside is that the extra torque in the 997S is more efficiently transferred to the road by the fatter tires resulting in better straight line acceleration.

Manthey Motors - a race tuner of Porsche in England - has been quoted as saying the 18 inch wheel is optimal for performance. I know that's rim size, but I'm not aware of an 18 inch wheel available for the 911 that's 305, so I must assume they are referring to a wheel that is < 305. Wlater Rohl has been quoted as saying the 18's are best. The thought of a 997S with 18 inch wheels has crossed my mind, but it would hurt resale value considerably.

The GT3 Cup car has 18's, and while I don't know how fat they are, I bet they're not 305 on the back.

Carlos will straighten us all out . . .

Here's how even subtle changes can lead to increased understeer: The tread on my 996's rear tires was at the replacement mark, while my fronts were still plenty fine, so I had my rears replaced. I now easily notice significantly more understeer than before.

on this topic of wheels/tires & its effect on understeer, am wondering why certain tuners would install 8.5x18" front wheels (fm 8x18") but still maintain 235/40x18" tires? what are the benefits of doing that?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    764805 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436815 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261180 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    258081 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82707 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5331 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

877140 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    809292 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM