Crown

Board: Motor Sports Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Rosberg finished his career

now in the German media

Re: Rosberg finished his career

Itsme:

now in the German media

I would have done the same...he is a multi-millionaire, he achieved basically everything in motorsports, why risk his life further? He has a beautiful wife and he probably wants to enjoy life and get kids along the way, no need for the F1 stress and risk anymore. 

Seems he is very clever and knows when to stop: At the top!  Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

Hats off! True character, what a brave decision.

--

2016 Cayman GT4 - 1992 964 Carrera 2 - 2016 Macan S Diesel - 2013 Mini Cooper S

Came as quite a shock at first!

But, on reflection, it seems a good decision - he's achieved his life's ambition and, with the many changes set to enter F1 next season, it could well be that the only way he could go from here would be down... Good luck to him..

--

"Things turn out best for those who make the best of the way things turn out."

Intelligent and classy decision.

It is certainly an indication of the stress he and his family must have been under over the past few years to beat LH.

--

Kudos kiss

I wonder who's going to get his seat.. 

--

2015 911 GT3, 1964 Type 1

DaveGordon:

Wehrlein.

Intelligent and wise decision, well done Nico!

That is a coooooool decision ! It is not about the money, it is about achieving a goal and enjoying the moment, therefore, "well done NR" !

Great decision....now Hamilton can relax and win 2 or 3 more World Championships.

Good for him. He will not be missed and soon forgotten angry

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

Gnil:

Haha Gnil, thanks for this

I think it is the opposite of a brave move, I really do not understand this yes

Gnil:

Smiley You didn't like him? 

I don't think he will be forgotten since he followed in the footsteps of his very famous father. 

Also, he is probably the first world champion to retire after his first win of the title, this surely will provide him with a spot in  F1 history as well. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

What about Damon Hill?

I think NR was realistic in his asessment of the odds of being able to pull it off again in 2017, namely beating LH in the same car...rather than being the runner-up again, he wanted to leave on a high note.

Multiple world champions, by contrast, are cut from a different cloth!

If Max could join LH at Mercedes next year we should see some interesting races... Smiley

--

There is no try. Just do.

A brave decision, but I think he also realized he would never win another championship; he won this one thanks to an immensely dominant car and bad luck of his superior teammate. With the utmost effort, he managed to be in the correct position to snatch up the championship from between Lewis' jaws, but in the mean time, the next generation is also rattling on the cage... A wise decision if you ask me, cause otherwise he would have ended up like Button, Massa, Alonso, and all the others; once great drivers, but not in the top ranking anymore.

--

Porsche, separates Le Mans from Le Boys

Joost:

A brave decision, but I think he also realized he would never win another championship; he won this one thanks to an immensely dominant car and bad luck of his superior teammate. With the utmost effort, he managed to be in the correct position to snatch up the championship from between Lewis' jaws, but in the mean time, the next generation is also rattling on the cage... A wise decision if you ask me, cause otherwise he would have ended up like Button, Massa, Alonso, and all the others; once great drivers, but not in the top ranking anymore.

It is also true that neither of them (Rosberg, Hamilton, Alonso - even Vettel) will likely win 7 or more titles in total. I.e. it is very likely they all will remain below the benchmark set by Schumacher. Thus one could argue that it does not matter so much if they continue for a year or two...

Kimi:
    DaveGordon:

Wehrlein.

As the current reserve driver at Mercedes, Pascal Wehrlein seems to be prominently placed - especially as FO and SB are under contract for a further year at McLaren and Ferrari respectively...Smiley

--

"Things turn out best for those who make the best of the way things turn out."

olli:

What about Damon Hill?

I think NR was realistic in his asessment of the odds of being able to pull it off again in 2017, namely beating LH in the same car...rather than being the runner-up again, he wanted to leave on a high note.

Did he retire immediately after he won the championship? I do not remember anymore. Smiley

I think that many underestimate Rosberg but he made the right decision.

--

It is interesting to me that those who have praised this decision don't seem to care that he signed a contract to continue racing.

Greg A 

olli:

This.

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

He will not be missed.

--

J.Seven

MKSGR:
    Joost:

It is also true that neither of them (Rosberg, Hamilton, Alonso - even Vettel) will likely win 7 or more titles in total. I.e. it is very likely they all will remain below the benchmark set by Schumacher. Thus one could argue that it does not matter so much if they continue for a year or two...

+1

NR will not be missed very long time!

Cash wise very brave move from him to drop out of his contract and lose a lot of money, on the other hand he's a father and therefore I can fully understand him!

Carlos from Spain:
    olli:

This.

Nico got lucky this year. It was down to the wire anyway. Can he pull it off again next year? No.

He did signed an extension, but he is a racer at heart, he doesn't want to play second. With Hamilton as his teammate again, surely he is gonna fight for seconds. Not exactly a racer wants to do and he knows that. Pure speed, he is way behind Hamilton. 

He made enough already to live comfortably, and he will surely command a nice chunk for appearance fees whenever he gets an opportunity, so the potential in income is just paper numbers. I saw that first hand with Jacque, he is only a one time champion, but to get him to appear somewhere cost a shit load. 

Our track is lucky to have him onboard from the beginning, our competitor, the Island track, can get at most a Max Papis as their spokesman. Quite a difference in levels. 

--

Classy move from a classy guy, looks like a great and smart decision to me. The cry baby fans ("will not be missed" BS comments) will be happy 

Lewis needs a clear second driver, no equals or else he's crying too much. Great for the sport, not my cup of tea. Rosberg is cut from the same solid wood as Mark Webber, and picked his point to exit gracefully and with a clear direction for the future. I for one wish him all the best and hope to see more of him somewhere/somehow. 

Nummer 1 2016 wink

--

1986 BMW 325i Cabrio Alpine Weiss/Black Leather - German Spec 
    2006 Mercedes-Benz CLS 500 Black/Black Leather 

Ex: ''91 BMW 535i, '91 BMW 318i, '89 BMW 525i, '74 Mercedes-Benz 280E, '87 BMW 325is, '86 BMW 325e, '05 Ford Focus ZX4 S, '85.5 Porsche 944

Not sure why people say Rossberg can compete with Hamilton. There are plenty of races where Rossberg won fair and square. Both had issues in various races. It is what it is. With a good car they are competitive. Is Hamilton better? Probably. Is he so much better than he can just coast to the finish line over Rossberg? Not a chance.

As for retiring, good for him. Accomplished his goal, he's 31, married and has a kid, and had a $15M salary. He's probably worth in excess of $100M. Sounds like a nice retirement. And besides, racing is dangerous. You can die in an F1 race. Serious accidents still happen. How much money do you really need before just saying it's not worth it anymore?

Accidents can happened on and off the track, just look no further than Michal Schumacher...........

--

NR is a very intelligent and likable person. as lauda once said, there is more to life than racing around a track. also nico will be glad not to have to deal with the somewhat eccentric kid from stevenage.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689973 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409451 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255844 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235077 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65588 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4651 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858204 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774320 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM