Crown

Board: AMG Mercedes Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 2018 E63 from AMG is back

SUV is a modern interpretation of discredited minivan, no one wants to drive a soccer mom mobile so they get the truck/crossover to avoid the stigma.

Same money (lease) as you say and you get more car (in every regard) and unlike some said, the E will make you feel younger, not the SUV.  

Ferdie:
    RC:

This is going to be a company car, my wife will drive a lot in it, especially in the city to visit her patients (no issues with parking since she has a special permit). So most of the cost will be deductible but the lease cost isn't really that high (around 1450 EUR per month incl. VAT, no down payment) anyway.

If she is driving quite a bit in the city I assume the GLC is better choice. Apart from that, I second what many people have said above... you have always steered towards SUVs so I would be quite surprised if you go for the E-class this time. On the other hand something seems to attract you, it is quite surprising that the car has a similar lease rate as the GLC although the car is a notch above that one in terms of model category, size and power. 

GLC is in very high demand, the E63 is already almost a year old. At least this is what the sales guy told me.

Could get even a G63 AMG for basically the same money but the "old" (previous) model, not the new one. They still have a production slot for February or March...I think (if it isn't already gone). My wife hates the G63, she told me first she would be OK if I really like it but when some of our friends made stupid comments about the car, she wasn't really too happy with it anymore (and yes, she never liked the G class anyway, so I'm not surprised). The G63 is out of the question anyway because it would be parked in front of my business, a no go. E63 would be just another E class Mercedes, same with the GLC or the C63 convertible coming, no problem.

Yes, I am a SUV type of guy but I kind of like the E63...more than I thought I would. Will take another test-drive this Wednesday, wife needs to drive the car as well because she needs to feel good in it. Then, we need to decide. Still 80% inclined towards the GLC but who knows, if the wife likes driving the E63...

I need to be 100% I don't want the E63, otherwise I will always think about it.

From what I've gathered from early test drives, the suspension of the GLC63 seems to be on the stiff side, not sure how relevant that is for you.

I like stiff Smiley  The E63 is stiff as well, very unusual for such a car. A bit "bumpy" even on bad roads. Not that I care. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

absent:

SUV is a modern interpretation of discredited minivan, no one wants to drive a soccer mom mobile so they get the truck/crossover to avoid the stigma.

LOL, never heard this one but seriously, a GLC is considered a small SUV in Germany and most people don't have a clue about the AMG version and/or the engine inside. No problem with the image here.

Same money (lease) as you say and you get more car (in every regard) and unlike some said, the E will make you feel younger, not the SUV.  

In Germany, the E class is the typical taxi model. I'd say that half of the taxis in my town are Mercedes E class. See the problem here? The E63 is the only E class model which has kind of a positive reputation, especially with younger people. Older people wouldn't probably know what car this is, unless they are into cars.

My best friend, he is 60 years old and not too much into cars, will join me (and my wife) for my next test-drive in the E63 this Wednesday. He is a BMW guy but doesn't really care about high performance cars, he drives a 320 Diesel station wagon. Smiley When I told him that I am going to test-drive a Mercedes E class, he looked at me as if I'm insane (he knows my various cars and my passion for fast cars, so...). I told him that this E class has 612 hp and does 300 kph, he thought I am talking crazy stuff. A family car with 612 hp? Now he was so intrigued that he even googled it. Smiley He can't wait for the ride.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Lord_Driftalot:

@RC

go for the E63s, it's the better car for your needs and according to one of the latest Sport Auto issues that car was just mind blowing @Supertest!!

Christian Gebhardt was totally in love with it, the performance was just incredible, not only in straight line but as well in Nbrg and Hockenheimring:

"...Er brauchte lediglich 7:45,19 Minuten, um den über 2100 kg schweren, schwäbischen Pampersbomber über die 20,83 km der Nordschleife zu pilotieren. Das ist sogar schneller als ein Porsche 997 GT3 RS, der mit 7:48min über zweiSekunden langsamer ist...."

Link  http://www.evocars-magazin.de/2017/11/24/mercedes-e63-s-amg-t-modell-schnellster-kombi-am-ring/

His final comment about that car was that if money wouldn't be an issue he''d buy two E63s, one for the road and another one without all luxury gadgets, only one race seat, windows made of macrolon,...

This is exactly my problem. I always liked how the new E63 S AMG looks but never considered one, especially after my E55 and Panamera Turbo S experience.

Then, I drove it. Biggest surprise ever. Car is and feels amazing. Steering is amazing (sportier than C63), this car just feels "right" for me, I can't help it. Smiley On the other hand, it is a sedan and I always preferred SUVs as family cars for various reason. Maybe the E63 will be the first to change my opinion but I have to be very very sure before I risk it. This car needs to stay three years with us, there is no turning back, there is no special deal with the dealer or manufacturer, the only special deal is the lease cost but I cannot return it earlier (without a huge penalty) and I cannot exchange it easily with another car. So if I get it, I need to be 99% sure.

--

absent:

Actually that would be the wagons. People still want the capacity of a minivan but in a car package. Smiley

SUVs on the other hand build off that and add more utility, like going over snow deposits or mud or whatever stands in the way.

--

Whoopsy:
    absent:

Actually that would be the wagons. People still want the capacity of a minivan but in a car package. Smiley

SUVs on the other hand build off that and add more utility, like going over snow deposits or mud or whatever stands in the way.

Agreed. I feel much safer in a SUV when driving through snow or even rain, maybe it is just the higher seating position or some stupid make-believe but I really like SUVs. The E63 S is the first sedan I could see as an alternative because of the AWD system but I already did this with the Panamera Turbo S (also had AWD and was pretty sporty for it's size), so I am walking a dangerous path here. Smiley Smiley

--

Insane, just insane... 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTPaQHghgxw

Why get a sportscar? 

Street tires, Michelin PS4S. Impressive.

--

With all the E-Class taxis around E63 is even better as a daily driver in my book, very stealthy and almost "invisible".

Even here in US, most cops won't give it a second glance, with ingrained attention to more "flashy" cars or with more visible performance potential.

My driving record in  E63 and current S8 Plus was and  is much better then in 911s or Conti GTs, even though my driving is even more aggressive in the "stealthy" cars.

I am renting the new E63S next week in LA  for 5 days and looking forward to check it out myself. (half hour test drive does not do it for me).

RC:

Insane, just insane... 

Why get a SUV? 

Fixed it for you. Smiley

JoeRockhead:
    RC:

Insane, just insane... 

Why get a SUV? 

Fixed it for you. Smiley

Cause a SUV doesn't look like a hearse?Smiley

--

Whoopsy:
    JoeRockhead:
    RC:

Insane, just insane... 

Why get a SUV? 

Fixed it for you. Smiley

Cause a SUV doesn't look like a hearse?Smiley

Smiley Smiley

--

the E63 certainly is the better car between it and the GLC63

usually I always say 'stick to the first opinion/decision' as this is usually the emotional decision.

logic would say E class. the GLC has nothing that the E does not have....but the E has more.

in terms of cooler car, I would opt for the E....I like sleepers and the E is more of a sleeper than the GLC.

maybe this time you brake with tradition, and go for the E....if after some time you have the same thoughts as with the panamera then the sedan issue is sealed forever for you.

getting the GLC you will always doubt if you should have gone for the E....

most of us here like SUV's and most of us have one....yet still most of us say clearly the E63 is the better choice between your 2 options....

hope I didn't spoil your day indecision

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

Obviously the E is the better choice even for more money but if they are priced the same it is an easy choice. 

RC:

I'm begging you man, get the E63S instead of that mama mobile!

In case your wife hates it it afterwards, blame me and I will send her flowers......kiss

@RC for sure its almost one year old: indecision

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N21_3_iRHBI

E

absent:

RC:

I'm begging you man, get the E63S instead of that mama mobile!

In case your wife hates it it afterwards, blame me and I will send her flowers......kiss

Flowers won't cut it, my wife has expensive tastes. Smiley

--

martini964:

@RC for sure its almost one year old: indecision

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N21_3_iRHBI

6 months or so but doesn't matter, I haven't seen it yet, thanks. Smiley

Like I said before: The E63 feels and drives amazing, thats not the point.

The point is: Will I be happy with it and won't I miss a SUV? Also, will my wife like this car because in winter time, it will be her main ride.

Me and my wife will decide today, we take the E63 S for another test-drive, now including my wife. Unfortunately the dealer has only a station wagon available but it doesn't matter, interior and drive feel are the same.

If I choose the E63 S AMG, it will be the Edition 1 version in selenite grey magno. No ceramic brakes though, lease rate needs to stay the same (as GLC), tax advisor's orders. Same goes to Burmester, only the small package, not the big one (too expensive). What a shame, it sounds great.

--

The E63S wagon is the sleeper between the sleepers. Isn't love at first sight as it might happen with the RS6 but the design is growing more and more on me. I would go for it if I were in your shoes (practicality + performance + undertheradar).

All of us agree on which is the best car overall but also on which is the best car for you: GLC. If you liked the Macan size, the GLC is a similar concept with a proper engine.

Share pics and impressions of today's test drive!

Its a good solid car. But hey - its a sedan. For myself - my C43 is probably the last sedan I would ever buy. I always have back pain when driving. The seating position in an SUV is much better. Low seats - only in a sports car. For a daily driver, take whatever is most convenient. Its not a sports car, its not something which screams "here I am". Take the car you really like to drive on a daily base. 

I know couple of people owning an E63 and everyone loves it. Never heard anything bad or any complaint. Only good and positive feedback. So you can't go wrong either way. 

Regarding Lease - every car is calculated different. Even when taking a GLC and an E-Class with the same value, the E-Class will always have the bigger loss in value and therefore the higher lease. 

Follow your heart - both are amazing and adorable dream cars. 

I love fast estates as DD, like the C63 and the new RS4. Same goes with the RS6 and E63. These cars are even better than before as most of them are 4WD.

What I'm afraid though is home and car jacking. IMHO, these kind of cars can be targeted by dangerous individuals who want/need fast escape cars with 4 doors and lots of space at the back.

I've got a young child (2,5 years old) and a baby on the go (expected in late april) and even though I looked to buy one of these before as they are quite cheap, specially the C63 estate in Germany, I thing I would not be too comfortable driving one with my kids strapped in the back. Smiley

As Christian's children are older, I'd buy the E63 in a heart beat if I was in his shoes. This car is nothing like the E55 of a decade ago. Does mercedes still offer the option to make it look like a E220d ? 

Which are the odds that -in the "occidental" Europe- somebody assaults you while you are driving with your kids in the back? If your car is gonna be stolen, it'll be when parked. 99,9% of the times.

alexalex88:

Which are the odds that -in the "occidental" Europe- somebody assaults you while you are driving with your kids in the back? If your car is gonna be stolen, it'll be when parked. 99,9% of the times.

I have not said I was being rational with this. I was stopped by the Police last friday and they told me 8 home/car jacking occurred in my area recently. The car I'm driving right now was on their list of stolen vehicles and it's just a 435i GC. I tend to overthink things too much and pay too much attention to what other thinks. For instance, I understand perfectly Christian when he says that some cars are a no go for his business and so on. I feel the same way.

Indeed, when you have kids your see everything from a different perspective and one is never cautious enough. I totally respect and understand that.

All I'm saying is that you won't be robbed while driving with your kids. If happens, it'll be most likely when you're sleeping or out of home. Not a risk you are willing to take in your situation obviously.

alexalex88:

Indeed, when you have kids your see everything from a different perspective and one is never cautious enough. I totally respect and understand that.

All I'm saying is that you won't be robbed while driving with your kids. If happens, it'll be most likely when you're sleeping or out of home. Not a risk you are willing to take in your situation obviously.

The risk of that happening is probably lower than winning the Powerball jackpot (or any other lottery jackpot). Smiley

In my home? Well, I have a very sophisticated alarm system with hidden panic buttons in basically every room (I think I forgot the guest toilet Smiley), video surveillance (inside and outside the house) and I am armed. People in my neighborhood know that, words spread. Also, other than the cars, we have no real valuables in the house, this is what banks are for. Those four watches I own? Good luck with finding them. Smiley Luckily, we are no art, coin or stamps collector. One neighbor had his complete collection (coins and stamps, also some gold coins) stolen a year ago, culprits probably knew because nothing else was taken.

Most of my neighbors, some more wealthy than me, don't even have an alarm system. I kind of admire them, they live fearless and clueless, sometimes it is better not to worry. Germany is pretty safe though. Usually.

--

Some photos, not the best quality but I am quite busy today and had to "fit in" the test-drive somehow...

I will comment on the car later on.

In white, the car looks very stealth and if you remove the badges, I doubt that many people will recognize the AMG.

Car was on winter tires, drive feel was a bit weird, I will talk about it when get back to the driving experience later on.

IMG_0897.jpg
    IMG_0898.jpg
    IMG_0903[1].jpg
    IMG_0896.jpg

--

What a hideous spec for such a car yes Not even having the tinted windows in the rear mail Looks really super stealth. 

The drive should not be any different from the Limousine, shouldn't it?

Sorry but this is a quite ugly car... White makes it even worse...

alexalex88:

It happened to my sister in south of France, she was driving a Mercedes B class.... Honestly that’s a main factor of why we don’t even think of going back to Europe, look how many stories of burglaries and such... Is it worth hiding yourself at every second of your life? One of my good friend house was burglarized 6 times in 5 years, the last time they even took furniture and appliances... My mother in law had a break in last year while they were sleeping, they stopped at the garage though...

SciFrog:
    alexalex88:

It happened to my sister in south of France, she was driving a Mercedes B class.... Honestly that’s a main factor of why we don’t even think of going back to Europe, look how many stories of burglaries and such... Is it worth hiding yourself at every second of your life? One of my good friend house was burglarized 6 times in 5 years, the last time they even took furniture and appliances... My mother in law had a break in last year while they were sleeping, they stopped at the garage though...

Agree - that's one of the biggest problems in Europe. We miss good gated neighborhoods with 24/7 security. I have my cars and motorcycles in different places all around the city. My watches are at the bank and I go every week once to get some out and some in. It is hideous. Smiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689176 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409013 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255665 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234912 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65485 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4642 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857833 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773814 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM