Crown

Board: AMG Mercedes Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 2018 E63 from AMG is back

Gnil:
    pierre:
    nberry:
    Who is Frank?

Porker

A highly valued member of this forum Smiley

I echo Gnil's commentSmiley

To bring this whole discussion back on track: 

Unlike Porsche, AMG just confirmed to me officially that E63 S AMG cars manufactured until May 2018 will have no particulate filter. Cars manufactured in June 2018 will start to get a particulate filter (not all cars produced in June though) and from July on, all cars will have a particulate filter.

I was thinking about delaying the production of my car (May 2018) because of this whole emissions discussion in Germany (not only Diesel cars are threatened by a driving stop but also petrol cars) but I found out that even the current  E63 S AMG is Euro 6b, which means that it won't be affected by a possible driving stop for petrol cars.

Also, I was afraid that a particulate filter could impact the power/sound, so I didn't want to risk it.

I wish Porsche would be that forthcoming regarding the usage of a particulate filter in the new 991.2 GT3 RS for example.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

RC:
    absent:
    Porker:

What point did you try to make exactly?

He made a point that MB's Black Matte is completely different from the cheap and ugly paint seen on some ricer cars.

It looks like a metallic satin, very special indeed.

Smiley I think he was referring to a different point but let's put that to rest now. I think everything has been said.

Yes, the color of the car is some sort of metallic satin and looks special but unfortunately there are also wraps available now which can mimic this. Luckily, most younger wrap fans use those cheap ass matte grey or black wrap, so I'm good. Smiley

AMG cars are driven often by a certain "crowd" in Germany, especially in larger metro areas like Duesseldorf/Dortmund/Cologne/Essen and Hamburg and some people may not want to be associated to these crowds but luckily, in Bavaria things look a bit differently, even if it started here as well (incl. BMW M cars). To be honest, I couldn't care less since I'm 53 and don't look "exotic" but I understand why some people don't want to get an AMG Mercedes.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

SmileyOf course I knew his question was about different matter, I was only trying to gently bring this discussion back to topic.

This whole talk about E63 really got me excited about that car, thing myself about going that route now and replace the S8 that is getting a bit too close to the end of warranty.

Btw, one can always learn something new, like having a wife for 28 years and still have her called a "trophy"......Smiley

Thanks Amazon, Gnil, Rhino, Pierre, etc... I reluctantly echo RC’s words, let’s get back on topic. The man would indeed use his ‘power’ and ban me if given further resistance, so let’s not do that. 

E63, lovely, lovely thing! Honestly, good on you RC!

--

1992 Mercedes-Benz W124 500E  / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS (sold) / 2011 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Performance / 2014 BMW-Alpina D3 biturbo Touring / 2018 Porsche 911 GT3 Clubsport

Porker:

Thanks Amazon, Gnil, Rhino, Pierre, etc... I reluctantly echo RC’s words, let’s get back on topic. The man would indeed use his ‘power’ and ban me if given further resistance, so let’s not do that. 

You haven’t lived until you have been banned at least once.smiley

--

You have your way. I have my way. As for the correct way and the only way, it does not exist.

Porker:

Who has paranoia now? Smiley I would ban you if you insult me by getting personal.

You've zeroed in to me a while ago, when apparently I tickled your ego for whatever reason. If you have a problem with me, ignore me. If you cannot ignore me...bye bye. Simple. 

Yeah, I know...shady characters with migration background driving AMG and all. Oh wait... Smiley Smiley

Let me see what you are going to drive at 53... Smiley You are driving a station wagon now at your age, so... Smiley

--

nberry:
    Porker:

You haven’t lived until you have been banned at least once.smiley

I never banned anyone from this forum, neither did the moderators.

I could...easily. There is no authority I need to ask. Why I don't do it? Because I am 53 years old, have seen so many things in my life and I know how fast people get into a fight on the internet, anonymity is a bitch.

However, at some point, if I get annoyed, I will react. It is my hope however that people who don't agree with me or don't like me for whatever reasons, simply...ignore me. So easy. I do the same. Unlike others, I don't follow them around from thread to thread to provoke them. Maybe I should but then again...nobody is that important to me. Smiley Smiley

--

RC:

Having second thoughts regarding the color of my ordered E63 S AMG Edition 1:

I ordered Designo Selenite Grey Magno (first pic) but I am leaning towards Designo Night Black Magno (second pic).

The matte metallic grey looks great but the matte metallic black looks a bit more special in my opinion...not sure what to do. Any opinions? 

2018-Mercedes-AMG-E63-S-front-three-quarter-02-1.jpg

media.jpeg

Congrats!!

Both look awesome.  Won't go wrong with either color Smiley

--
    Happy Driving

Thanks, Ron. Smiley 

I agree with you but I think that the lighter grey is the better choice for a daily driver. Not easy though to choose. 

I also looked at some normal (non matte) colors again but they make the E63 look a bit too ordinary. Too many E class Taxis driving around here. Smiley White is nice for the E63 too but the C63 Cab is going to be white, so I prefer a different color for the E63.

--

ive:

Brabus 800 E63S

https://www.autoblog.nl/nieuws/brabus-800-e63-s-amg-is-nieuwe-koning-linkerbaan-107336

Thanks. Yes, easily tunable to 800 hp but unfortunately it is a lease and a factory rep lease, so no chance (unless I want to risk my warranty and also risk having to pay some sort of "compensation" at the end of the lease for the "extra wear" because of the tuning). Smiley Tempting though...indeed.

--

I wonder what acceleration advantages this upgrade gives to 200/300, imo more important numbers than 3s to 100

ive:

I wonder what acceleration advantages this upgrade gives to 200/300, imo more important numbers than 3s to 100

From past experience with tuning on various cars, I'd say maybe one second to 200 kph and maybe 2-3 seconds in the 200-300 kph range. They need to be careful with the torque and cooling, so I am pretty sure they are not going too crazy with the boost pressure and/or fuel pressure in that speed range. Just a wild guess only though.

All dyno tested new E63 S AMG customer cars had over 650 hp, some even around 680 hp, so the real life difference with that 800 hp tuning won't be that dramatic.

--

RC:
    ive:

From past experience with tuning on various cars, I'd say maybe one second to 200 kph and maybe 2-3 seconds in the 200-300 kph range. They need to be careful with the torque and cooling, so I am pretty sure they are not going too crazy with the boost pressure and/or fuel pressure in that speed range. Just a wild guess only though.

All dyno tested new E63 S AMG customer cars had over 650 hp, some even around 680 hp, so the real life difference with that 800 hp tuning won't be that dramatic.

--

680hp in a stock e63 is (very likely) a measurement error. One can be pretty sure that the German OEMs obey the laws very precisely after all the hype around the diesel software etc. A stock car with 680hp would be illegal to use on German roads...

RC:
    Porker:

Who has paranoia now? Smiley I would ban you if you insult me by getting personal.

You've zeroed in to me a while ago, when apparently I tickled your ego for whatever reason. If you have a problem with me, ignore me. If you cannot ignore me...bye bye. Simple. 

You just never let go, don't you ?  Smiley

I dont know you personally (I'll be happy to meet you in person), but I think you are the kind of person who argues endlessly about things that don't even matter like if your own life depended on it. I bet your wife must say to you from time to time those exact same words: "let it go", don't she ?   Smiley

That's what my wife tells me every day so I know. Smiley

MKSGR:
    680hp in a stock e63 is (very likely) a measurement error. One can be pretty sure that the German OEMs obey the laws very precisely after all the hype around the diesel software etc. A stock car with 680hp would be illegal to use on German roads...

No measurement errors and if you don't tell... Smiley Smiley

AMS, Autobild Sportscars, various tuners (Renntech, Brabus, Lorinser...), all cars had over 650 hp stock.

No, it wouldn't be illegal to be used on German roads.

Let me explain why: As long as the car is stock, no issues for the driver. For the manufacturer, actually the same thing. The most important thing is that the car meets the certified emissions standards. Excessive power? Not really a problem. There is that well known +/- 5% error margin but it doesn't really matter (unless you complain that your car doesn't have enough car, nobody will complain about too much power). From a certification point of view for the manufacturer, he needs to make sure that "most" of the manufactured cars meet the certified specs. So on paper, all cars could have 642,6 hp without any legal issues. Now count in the dyno error of let's say 2%, then we're already at almost 655 hp.

Here comes the best part: The certification process for the engine in the E63 S AMG requires that compared to the certified 612 hp engine, any randomly chosen engine out of the running production has no more than 5% power. Now the certified engine for the certification process may have had already 642 hp. So the engine chosen out of the running production can have another 5% more power. Smiley

As long as the car meets the same emissions standards, everything is OK. Top speed? It is limited to 300 kph anyway. Acceleration is not part of the certification process.

Also, like I said before: If you don't tell on Mercedes, nobody will accuse them. Smiley Who is crazy and complains about more power? Other manufacturers? They do the same (BMW...look at the M5 for example).

Never heard of any issues with engines with more power than claimed. Would be funny.

--

RC:

Yeah, I know...shady characters with migration background driving AMG and all. Oh wait... Smiley Smiley

Let me see what you are going to drive at 53... Smiley You are driving a station wagon now at your age, so... Smiley
    --

It's funny because Frank is already driving a C63 ...  so I guess you guys are a bit the same Smiley   

amazon:
    RC:
    Porker:

I dont know you personally (I'll be happy to meet you in person), but I think you are the kind of person who argues endlessly about things that don't even matter like if your own life depended on it. I bet your wife must say to you from time to time those exact same words: "let it go", don't she ?   Smiley

Would you please stop speaking for Porker, I think he is old enough to defend and/or argue himself. Smiley

I can't let it go? I clearly said let's go back to discussing cars but he had to make his final stand, so did I. Unlike him, this is my house, not his, not yours. Period. Don't like it? Bye bye. Simple. Smiley

--

amazon:
    RC:

--

It's funny because Frank is already driving a C63 ...  so I guess you guys are a bit the same Smiley   

That was exactly my point...since he tried to make his with his last post (I guess you didn't get the sarcasm in his last comment). Smiley

Can we please go back to discussion cars? Thank you. 

--

RC:

Would you please stop speaking for Porker, I think he is old enough to defend and/or argue himself. Smiley

I can't let it go? I clearly said let's go back to discussing cars but he had to make his final stand, so did I. Unlike him, this is my house, not his, not yours. Period. Don't like it? Bye bye. Simple. Smiley

What can I do I'm a belgian lawyer Smiley

On a more serious note, I respect every member and I accept the fact that not everyone will share my views on a subject. But contradiction is what makes discussions interesting. In that perspective, it's not really about defending someone against someone else but more about sharing an opinion on something, whatever that subject may be. 

Let's go back to the main discussion, you're right. Smiley

RC:
    MKSGR:

No measurement errors and if you don't tell... Smiley Smiley

AMS, Autobild Sportscars, various tuners (Renntech, Brabus, Lorinser...), all cars had over 650 hp stock.

No, it wouldn't be illegal to be used on German roads.

Let me explain why: As long as the car is stock, no issues for the driver. For the manufacturer, actually the same thing. The most important thing is that the car meets the certified emissions standards. Excessive power? Not really a problem. There is that well known +/- 5% error margin but it doesn't really matter (unless you complain that your car doesn't have enough car, nobody will complain about too much power). From a certification point of view for the manufacturer, he needs to make sure that "most" of the manufactured cars meet the certified specs. So on paper, all cars could have 642,6 hp without any legal issues. Now count in the dyno error of let's say 2%, then we're already at almost 655 hp.

Here comes the best part: The certification process for the engine in the E63 S AMG requires that compared to the certified 612 hp engine, any randomly chosen engine out of the running production has no more than 5% power. Now the certified engine for the certification process may have had already 642 hp. So the engine chosen out of the running production can have another 5% more power. Smiley

As long as the car meets the same emissions standards, everything is OK. Top speed? It is limited to 300 kph anyway. Acceleration is not part of the certification process.

Also, like I said before: If you don't tell on Mercedes, nobody will accuse them. Smiley Who is crazy and complains about more power? Other manufacturers? They do the same (BMW...look at the M5 for example).

Never heard of any issues with engines with more power than claimed. Would be funny.

--

I still don't believe it. Mercedes is very, very likely keeping a very strict eye on all regulatory issues these days. More likely wishful thinking of the owner Smiley

P.S.: Just imagine some ecological activists reading your post, doing a test series and then officially accusing Mercedes of delivering illegal cars. Forget it. Will not happen.

amazon:
    RC:

What can I do I'm a belgian lawyer Smiley

On a more serious note, I respect every member and I accept the fact that not everyone will share my views on a subject. But contradiction is what makes discussions interesting. In that perspective, it's not really about defending someone against someone else but more about sharing an opinion on something, whatever that subject may be. 

Let's go back to the main discussion, you're right. Smiley

I love a good discussion, even a slightly passionate one. What I do not like is someone zeroing in onto me, just because that person doesn't agree with me or doesn't like me or maybe because I stepped on his toes for whatever reason (in this case, I think he didn't like the fact that I said I am a good driver Smiley but I could be wrong, maybe he just doesn't like my personality, not that it really matters). Nick and me, we always fool around, no harm done, everything OK. Same goes to noone1 and others, no problem, this is the internet, no harm done. I get it, sometimes it is fun to rattle someone's cage, especially if that someone (in this case me) reacts to it. I could of course shut up but thats not me, sorry. I am Rennteam's Trump I guess. Smiley Smiley

I am not angry, I am not someone who keeps a grudge, I am just disappointed from time to time because I put a lot of time into this and I think I deserve a bit of respect (and credibility). 

I do not understand why people think they need to agree with me or that I want to be right all the time. This is not the case. I get the feeling however that I get accused of that all the time. Smiley If I would be that of an egomaniac or a-hole, I would just delete every account of each user I don't agree with and I'd be done. This is not the case, never has been. 

That said, I think I'm done explaining myself over and over again. We were a peaceful community lately and now, again, it got more heated than I bargained for. And why? Because I explained how my neighborhood and my life in Germany works and a Belgian tells me that his experience has been different. OK, so what? No problem but then, he says I have paranoia because I think people here in Germany are envious. There are BOOKS on the German envy culture, even various TV reports (check YouTube) and I live now almost 50 years here but I have paranoia. Got it. Smiley

Again, back to topic. PLEASE.

--

MKSGR:
    P.S.: Just imagine some ecological activists reading your post, doing a test series and then officially accusing Mercedes of delivering illegal cars. Forget it. Will not happen.

Markus, with all due respect but I don't think that AMS, Autobild Sportscars, Renntech, Brabus and Lorinser were all wrong. There are also reports in various AMG forums that owned dynoed their E63 S AMG and power was always above 650 hp. There is of course dyno error but ALWAYS?! Smiley Why should a tuner be interested in telling customers that their stock car already has 680 hp? Smiley 

The E63 S weights 2 tons. 0-100 kph in 3.2 to 3.4 seconds, 0-200 kph in 10.9-11.2 seconds. Do you really think you can achieve these values with 612 hp only? Well. Smiley

If you want, I can put my E63 S on a dyno once I get it. We can even meet there, if you want, could be fun. My former Mustang "guru" (mechanic) runs a nice tuning business near Stuttgart and has a modern dyno testing facility there. I get my car around end of May, will need about a month or so to run it in properly (apparently, this is really a "thing" with the E63 S AMG...very important) and then we can meet for lunch and some dyno fun. Smiley 

--

RC:
    Porker:

--

What the hell? I honestly love the E63, I'm not being sarcastic. Smiley

--

1992 Mercedes-Benz W124 500E  / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS (sold) / 2011 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Performance / 2014 BMW-Alpina D3 biturbo Touring / 2018 Porsche 911 GT3 Clubsport

Then, I honestly apologize. Smiley

--

Brabus is the most reputable of all MB tuners, almost on a manufacturer's level but it comes at a very, very steep price.

Personally, I turned to Renntech every time I had an AMG, very impressive gains at moderate prices.

Current E63S can be had with 770HP for just under $4k.

RC:
    MKSGR:

The E63 S weights 2 tons. 0-100 kph in 3.2 to 3.4 seconds, 0-200 kph in 10.9-11.2 seconds. Do you really think you can achieve these values with 612 hp only? Well. Smiley

Not sure - do you remember the 0-200 times of the RS6 plus etc. They were also in the 11s range, right Smiley

MKSGR:
    RC:
    MKSGR:

Not sure - do you remember the 0-200 times of the RS6 plus etc. They were also in the 11s range, right Smiley

12... Smiley Also, most RS6 Performance do over 605 hp as well. Dealer had dynoed one car because customer claimed it doesn't perform well. Result was 620 something hp, so no slouch either. I have to admit that you get used to this kind of power fast.

The car in AutoBILD did 0-200 kph in 10.9 seconds and had 660 hp...I think. The one in AMS had 650 or so as far as I remember (station wagon, a big heavier than the sedan though).

--

RC:
    MKSGR:
    RC:
    MKSGR:

12... Smiley Also, most RS6 Performance do over 605 hp as well. Dealer had dynoed one car because customer claimed it doesn't perform well. Result was 620 something hp, so no slouch either. I have to admit that you get used to this kind of power fast.

The car in AutoBILD did 0-200 kph in 10.9 seconds and had 660 hp...I think. The one in AMS had 650 or so as far as I remember (station wagon, a big heavier than the sedan though).

--

Smiley

RC:
    amazon:
    RC:
    Porker:

It is your house RC, but I also find that dropping a personal first name out of the blue on a public forum was out of line. I do not want to inflame this further and as such this is first and last post about this specific incident. As previously mentioned, I find the respect of privacy in this forum to be of a major importance. If I feel it is not there, I would quit posting immediately and ask for all my posts to be removed. 

Apology noted Smiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689950 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409441 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255839 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235074 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65582 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4651 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858187 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774298 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM