Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Downsides of Cab ownership?

I'm obsessing about the idea of owning a Cab and thought I should ask "What's not to like?" If you own a Cab what are the downsides of ownership vs. the Coupe?

MTIA

Re: Downsides of Cab ownership?

heavier, more vulnerable (Cloth top), lines are not as clean, bad rear three quarter view when roof up, less rear space, not as pretty, wind noise, wind turbulence with roof down without wind deflector.

Quote:
    Le Chef said:

I'm obsessing about the idea of owning a Cab and thought I should ask "What's not to like?" If you own a Cab what are the downsides of ownership vs. the Coupe?

MTIA

There is no real downside. The car is slightly heavier, and slightly less stiff in comparison to the coupe. However, you will probably only feel this on a track.
    I am not sure what the general observation by others is, but I got the impression that the roof and the seals sometimes produce squeaks and noises on uneven ground.

yah

Quote:
    yah said:
    I am not sure what the general observation by others is, but I got the impression that the roof and the seals sometimes produce squeaks and noises on uneven ground.

yah

My 996 did that, like 90% of cabs though, not that bad.
    Probably even stronger on the 997 so should be fine.
    The SL does it too.

996 cabs there's more not to like.
    The 997 cab's are amazing. I agree with the top up the coupe looks better but imo with the top down the cab looks much sicker exotic then the coupe. It's hard not to stare at a 997 cab on the move with the top down. From the back a cab with the top down looks wider then the coupe.

My 996 Turbo made more squeeks then my 997 S cab.

Other than that I guess a cab is easier to break into. It does have sensors that alarm if there's movement in the cockpit when the top is up. Also the top can potentially get stained.

Overall you get so much more with the cab. I love it because on nice days I don't feel guilty about being 'couped' up in a car. I can enjoy a nice day AND the sun doing what I love - DRIVING. Put the top down add sunshine, your wife or girl and ENJOY !

Sorry guys, IMO the Cabriolet is just not very nice looking in profile. Too humpy, reminds me of the old VW Kharman Ghia, with the big bulgy rear end. Cloth top always looks out-of-place on a sleek shiny, supposed-to-be-smooooth car. If you want a cab get a Boxster? Having both a 997S and 986S I can tell you the Boxster is more fun to drive.

other then dynamics of the car you will face a permenant dusty interior according to the town you live...

I have had the 997 coupe and the cab. The cab is amazing. it all looks best when you put the wind deflector up - makes it look like a 2 seat speedster. Onlt things I don't like, as someone has already mentioned, is the poor rear 3/4 vision when roof is up and also the fact that the rear seats have a fixed forward lean in the cab to create room for top.

As you drive through wooded areas you may be hit by falling debris, acorns, branches and anywhere else by bird droppings...

Hair management .....

throt..

I'll take a Yorkshireman's word any day!

Regardless of which "Riding" you're from.

My wife being ever so practical asked whether the rear parking sensors were a good idea when the cab roof is up, in view of the poor(er) rear visibility. What do you think?

Also what color is your car: is it Black, Basalt, or Atlas Grey?

Cheers! (A fan of John Smiths)

chronic sunburn and a very bad headach if you should crash and land upside down

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Sorry guys, IMO the Cabriolet is just not very nice looking in profile. Too humpy, reminds me of the old VW Kharman Ghia, with the big bulgy rear end. Cloth top always looks out-of-place on a sleek shiny, supposed-to-be-smooooth car. If you want a cab get a Boxster? Having both a 997S and 986S I can tell you the Boxster is more fun to drive.

You give the answer yourself: the boxster is more fun , not because it's a boxster, but while it's a cab...
    Owning a 997S cab, you would speak otherwise...
    And concerning the looks, that's very personal IMO

Re: I'll take a Yorkshireman's word any day!

Quote:
    Le Chef said:

My wife being ever so practical asked whether the rear parking sensors were a good idea when the cab roof is up, in view of the poor(er) rear visibility. What do you think?

Rear p-sensor are very useful IMO, my wife feels a lot more at ease with them.
    My p-colour is basalt

Quote:
    Le Chef said:

Don't allow yourself to be misled by the macho crap you read about parking sensors being unnecessary for "real guys who can judge the extremities of their cars".
    I wouldn't want to be without parking sensors even in a coupe anymore, especially since they are now flush-mounted and less obtrusive than on the first generation systems were on Porsches.

RC may remember a sad instance reported from his part of Germany about a year back when a guy let his wife and young child out of the car, the wife kneeled down to comfort the kid when it cried, and the driver reversed into them because they were below his field of vision. The child was killed.

Black vs. Basalt?

I saw what I thought was a very cool color combination on a new Boxster when I was over in England in the Spring - it looked like Basalt (seemed "sparklier" than black) with a Sand Beige interior. Thoughts?

can't get fixed antenna

can't get sunroof

PSE sounds louder with top down

hair gets messy with top down

can't operate top going faster than 30 mph

the list goes on...

Quote:
    beltar said:
    Quote:
    MMD said:

You give the answer yourself: the boxster is more fun , not because it's a boxster, but while it's a cab...
    Owning a 997S cab, you would speak otherwise...
    And concerning the looks, that's very personal IMO

Sorry, I did it again, wrote a post, suddenly got bizzy around here, hit the send button too fast.

Boxster is definitely more fun because it is a cab and handles more relaxed-ly. The top should always be down! Boxster is a compromise when the top is up IMHO.

The Cab 911 IS a compromise too. They have to put the top somewhere so the profile is messed up. No problem, they messed up the profile a bit in the coupe anyway; see photo outlining the hump. But Cab profile is way different.

The original poster was asking for views on the cab. assuming the coupe is the "ideal classic 911" my personal point of view is there's a compromise with the Cab which people should assess for themselves.

There are no drawbacks to 997 Cab ownership. Only the envy of non owners and useless random sniping by racer wannabees.

Get one, you will enjoy it.

I got my cab two months ago. Thought I would be very happy every day. WRONG. Not every day. I was often disappointed because the weather has not been very nice. You can have so much fun on the days you can put the top down. Some times even with the seat heater turned on. But, when the weather is not good, I have to leave my baby home and drive my BMW sedan to work. Now, I only wish I can have a coupe also. I believe my wife will divorce in a heart beat if I dare to mention this idea.

Quote:
    997 S Cab said:
    I got my cab two months ago. Thought I would be very happy every day. WRONG. Not every day. I was often disappointed because the weather has not been very nice. You can have so much fun on the days you can put the top down. Some times even with the seat heater turned on. But, when the weather is not good, I have to leave my baby home and drive my BMW sedan to work. Now, I only wish I can have a coupe also. I believe my wife will divorce in a heart beat if I dare to mention this idea.

You live in New Jersey for gawwds sakes, what did you think would happen? Sudden climate change with Palm trees on your street and a desert oasis blooming in Trenton just because you got a Cab? Hola! You live in New Jersey, not San Diego!

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    There are no drawbacks to 997 Cab ownership. Only the envy of non owners and useless random sniping by racer wannabees.

Get one, you will enjoy it.

Well said Jim !

Quote:
    Le Chef said:

Hi Le Chef.
    It's West Ridings and it's Atlas and defo on the sensors.
    Regards to you.

Quote:
    997 S Cab said:

True words.. some may say I'm not a 'purist' because I won't drive my cab in the sleet, snow or hail. It's my first convertible, I love top down driving, and can't wait to jump in every day. Luckily the weather here in Nor CA is very conducive to top down driving.. only disadvantage I see is that it's difficult to see when backing up. I'm not buying this whole 'side profile is different, looks too humpy from the rear' crap.. beauty IS in the eye of the beholder, and I think every beholder I have talked to LOVES my cab!

Have any of you fellow cab owners had anyone walk up and say, "your car has awkward lines from the side" or "that rear end looks too big"?

I'll let yall know the first time this happens to me.

i THIRD the intellectual genius of both JimFlat6 & ajcastaneda~~

there are NO downsides to cab ownership. period!

Another thing. Since Cabs are very commonplace in LA, nobody notices you. In most other places, maybe where you reside, when you're driving around the your neighborhood, your town, everybody will naturally or quite intentionally stare at you. Some are happy for you, keeping track of you and who you're with, most wanna know who's driving that way-too-nice car and enjoying it way-too-much. Your decision might depend how much MORE attention you can tolerate.

Also I think the cab is noisier at highway speeds.

If someones wants to be a total ******* with a simple pocket knife it can become a WMD on a canvas top.

While I agree that it is harder to see backing up my cab, I haven't really needed to utilize the rear sensors much. Perhaps this is becasue I don't live in a metro area. I do think it would be helpful to have the rear sensors if you do a lot of parallel parking.

With the 997 model I don't think you compromize much getting a cab. My thoughts are if you live in a warm climate definitely get a cab with pse and perpare to smile a lot.

Visibility is the biggest drawback so far in my 1 month of ownership, but I just use the side mirrors more and park conservatively.

Surprisingly, the cockpit is relatively quiet compared to my 01 boxster (could be the new side mirror mounts, but the cloth is definitely thicker). Even with the top down and no windstop, there's quite a bit less turbulence than the old boxster - I can actually have a phone conversation at highway speeds. Overall, it's easily the best convertible i've driven extensively (01 boxster, MB SLK).

Quote:
    igzaklee said:
    i THIRD the intellectual genius of both JimFlat6 & ajcastaneda~~

I will hold you to that when I run for office in California.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689981 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409457 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255848 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235077 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65588 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4651 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858209 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774331 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM