Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Guy's there is a new sheriff in town.

Interesting read, thanks Nick.

I have noticed that some of the guys that I know, in Houston area, are trying to get their hands on one. I'm talking the exotic car driver ones that own Porsches, Ferraris, and some more.

Look like the Z06 has created enough spark that is getting attention from these guys. A friend of mine that owns several exotics has his name in the list and the delivery seems to be around May or June of '06.

I'm not a Vette guy but this one seems really interesting, I'd like to test drive one but no dealer has it in their lots for more than couple hours and it's gone.

I drove a friends, it's a monster. Very impressive.

Quote:
    BluCamSS said:

Was there decent steering feel and feedback - I was disappointed with this aspect of the C6 Z51...

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    BluCamSS said:

Was there decent steering feel and feedback - I was disappointed with this aspect of the C6 Z51...

Forget the steering feel Grant. At its price performance delta you are not gonna get a German steering rack in a Chevy.

It has the best sounding exhaust and the best power to weight ratio of any car until you get into a CGT.

Its just fast as hell. Adapt to the steering or stay miles behind. Its quicker and faster than a GT2 for Cayman money.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    BluCamSS said:

Forget the steering feel Grant. At its price performance delta you are not gonna get a German steering rack in a Chevy.

Its just fast as hell. Adapt to the steering or stay miles behind. Its quicker and faster than a GT2 for Cayman money.

Jim - I understand its virtues - just need to check to see if they've addressed its vices. Unfortunately, I just can't get past the steering issue (if it's not improved from the Z51) - it really determines whether I'll enjoy the car. I'd like to have one otherwise...

Slightly off topic , but I haven't liked the steering feel in 911s since they added power steering starting with the '89 964 nor in the V8 Ferraris since they made manual ( non assisted ) steering an option in 348s , but what can you do since I prefer new cars with full warranties ?

Well, it can get even worse, I prefer a non power assisted clutch.

On a 911, I dont see any need for subframes, hydraulic motor mounts or dual mass flywheels except to cushion the cars inputs to suit the whiney, limp wristed and rich market segment. Maybe they should just all prance around each others cup holders and chatter about what color is best.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Its quicker and faster than a GT2 for Cayman money.

But it's slower than the Noble M400 I tested last weekend, and the latter has the handling abilities to suit Grant's (and Carlos'-see his good critique of the Bugatti Veyron on that thread) preferences.

Quote:
    Al Pettee said:
    Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

But it's slower than the Noble M400 I tested last weekend, and the latter has the handling abilities to suit Grant's (and Carlos'-see his good critique of the Bugatti Veyron on that thread) preferences.

I wasnt aware that the Noble had a 0-100 time of 8 seconds,
    but thats nice if it does and nicer if it can hit 198mph.
    FWIW, you can drive the Z06 anywhere, it costs less and you
    can take golf clubs and luggage with you. I admire the Noble, but its just a selfish toy for weekend lap days. Too much money for too little actual use.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

can take golf clubs and luggage with you.

I admire the Noble, but its just a selfish toy.

I agree Jim, but the golf clubs and luggage fit nicely into my 911 Turbo.

And "just a selfish toy?" THAT'S what I like about it.

Quote:
    Al Pettee said:
    Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

can take golf clubs and luggage with you.

I admire the Noble, but its just a selfish toy.

I agree Jim, but the golf clubs and luggage fit nicely into my 911 Turbo.

And "just a selfish toy?" THAT'S what I like about it.

Figure out the ratio of per hour driven vrs acquisition, then add in spares, maintenance,insurance and depreciation.

You will feel better if you just give it away or fund a new business.

If I think about that too hard, it takes all the fun out of it. . . .

BTW, I am not anti-Corvette. Indeed, if the rumoured supercharged Blue Devil comes to fruition, my interest is piqued.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Quote:
    Al Pettee said:
    Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

can take golf clubs and luggage with you. I admire the Noble, but its just a selfish toy for weekend lap days. Too much money for too little actual use.

One of the national car magazines tested the Ford GT, the new Viper and the Z06. The Z06 blew their socks off. They indicated it was the best car for street use and track use. The Ford GT was more exotic and the Viper was a torque monster.

Grant they did say the Porsche S had slightly better handling but also was clearly inferior from a performance standpoint. What a performance bargain.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Grant they did say the Porsche S had slightly better handling but also was clearly inferior from a performance standpoint.

Nick, with that statement you just proved once again that you don't understand what performance is really all about.

Here is a review from Watt who has owned several Porsche's (including several GT2's). I believe he has some credibility if you do not want to believe a national automobile magazine. Watt just took delivery on his. Enjoy or choke whatever your bias may be.

" drove it down the mountain on dry roads yesterday and over to my son's football game: what a blast. handling is awesome, grip unbelieveable, and when you acually use the pedal to the floor it is sickeningly fast. like a GT2, even hammering up the mountain, you really cant use all this car has for more than a few seconds.

drilling it on the freeway is highly amusing that whoosh push in the back that's even more immediate than GT2....

my 12 year old loves it, says it's the coolest car we ever had, much better looking than 430, and i must agree. when you see the thing it hangs together in unity rather than looking pieced together like the 430. the overall quality is excellent and the performance is the best you can buy up to what, 330 for a CGT with massive repair cost potential.

it makes me chuckle with glee, and recall what Mama used to say:

"son, ain't nothin' like horsepower just runnin' out the exhaus pipes"

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Quote:
    Al Pettee said:
    Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

Actually, where I live (Denver and drive in the nearby mountains), the Noble would smoke the Z06 due to the thin air (turbos keep making boost). Z06 would be reduced to the same power and torque of the Noble, but the Noble weighs 700 lbs less...

The Z06 gives owners tremendous value. Its not overpriced and its fast and handles well enough to seriously threaten the egos of ferrari, Lamborghini and Porsche drivers.

You have to applaud Chevrolet for pulling that off.

Its not as refined, as elegeant, or as prissy as the others, but it does deliver staggering performance at a
    fair price. Its a car for sportsmen, not ego mad elitists.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    The Z06 gives owners tremendous value. Its not overpriced and its fast and handles well enough to seriously threaten the egos of ferrari, Lamborghini and Porsche drivers.

You have to applaud Chevrolet for pulling that off.

Its not as refined, as elegeant, or as prissy as the others, but it does deliver staggering performance at a
    fair price. Its a car for sportsmen, not ego mad elitists.

Yes Jim, the Chevy boys did a really great job, congratulations to them

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Here is a review from Watt who has owned several Porsche's (including several GT2's). I believe he has some credibility if you do not want to believe a national automobile magazine. Watt just took delivery on his. Enjoy or choke whatever your bias may be.

Hey, I've "known" Watt from his posts here and on rennlist for a couple of years now, and in my book he always has more credibility than a national automobile magazine.
    In that time he has been thru (from memory) at least two GT3s, about three GT2s, a 360, a 360 CS, maybe a 430 as well, and now Corvette.
    He is always enthusiastic about his latest acquisition, and I always enjoy his posts.

Wonder what your bias might be, Nick.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthre...mp;forum_id=100

Apparently it makes 492HP at the rear wheels.

How do you say, Houston, we got a problem in German and Italian?

Its fun seeing how 505hp and 427ci can entice Porsche and Ferrari owners to cross shop into Corvette ownership. Is it knowing that RMS failures are unheard of in Chevy V8s?

Porsche has milked their heritage and legend as much as they can. They should bite the bullet, build a super efficient plant in the US for less currency and labor costs, and build a lengthened Boxster RS America using a stroked 6 liter V8 Cayenne engine with 500hp.

Piech has a 914 built for himself with a flat 8 from the 908
    race car, so Im sure he gets the idea.

Quote:
    nberry said:

One of the national car magazines tested the Ford GT, the new Viper and the Z06. The Z06 blew their socks off. They indicated it was the best car for street use and track use. The Ford GT was more exotic and the Viper was a torque monster.

Grant they did say the Porsche S had slightly better handling but also was clearly inferior from a performance standpoint.

That was the same Automobile mag. article (November 2005 pp.48-56) I read on my flight home from Cincy last Saturday on my return from my Noble M400 test drive. What they actually said was: ". . .it (the ZO6) blows the current Porsche 911 Carrera (my emphasis) S away, although the 911 has nicer steering, a slicker gearshift, and a much better interior." They also said the ZO6's brakes "do go away" on day 2 of Gingerman raceway testing in Michigan, supposedly due to the ZO6's front-heavy weight distribution. In other words, the ZO6 is a classic front-engine, American muscle car with awesome power and torque, but with "A-" steering, transmission, brakes and refinements.

But I agree, it's definitely a "bargain" (at least in dollars per horsepower).

Once again, hats off to Chevy for building this thing. It will walk all over almost anything in its price range.
    All this and now they're going to build a 650hp "Blue Devil" in a few years.

Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:

Hey, I've "known" Watt from his posts here and on rennlist for a couple of years now, and in my book he always has more credibility than a national automobile magazine.
    In that time he has been thru (from memory) at least two GT3s, about three GT2s, a 360, a 360 CS, maybe a 430 as well, and now Corvette.
    He is always enthusiastic about his latest acquisition, and I always enjoy his posts.

Wonder what your bias might be, Nick.

So, will watt keep this allegedly phenomenal GM car for <1 mo or >1 mo? And when will watt reacquire another copy of this GM product?

Such credible feedback.....US car mags that obtain a large percentage of their ever-diminishing ad revs from GM. And guys who have "interesting" patterns of car acquisition/disposition/reacquisition.......

i really like the new Z06 its a really nice car... for the price point its amazing! I have seen 2 in real life situations (once at an autox, not running, then again at gingerman raceway, not running) i would have to say its not the best looking car ever IMO but that doesnt really matter to me. But the post above about it looking better than the F430... are you serious? Anyway the z06 is awesome! Hopefully it will spurn porsche/etc into giving us something really special or whatever... i dunno

Quote:
    VKSF said:

So, will watt keep this allegedly phenomenal GM car for <1 mo or >1 mo?

Watt is the the current Terrence ( who even had a C5 Z06 for a few days ) .... well , I take that back, the latter used to flip cars every 2-4 wks .

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    BluCamSS said:

Better then the "regular" C6, but still not F or P like.
    BUT, for the $$$$ it's unbeatable....I was VERY impressed and I have driven many exotic cars....for 70 grand...wow.

Quote:
    Al Pettee said:
    Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

But it's slower than the Noble M400 I tested last weekend,

But in most counties the Noble isn't street-legal 'cause it doen't pass any crash tests....no thanks.

Quote:
    Grant said:

Actually, where I live (Denver and drive in the nearby mountains), the Noble would smoke the Z06 due to the thin air (turbos keep making boost). Z06 would be reduced to the same power and torque of the Noble, but the Noble weighs 700 lbs less...

We're not talking old carbs here. New cars ECU's in thin air compensate by adding timing or fuel. The power loses at high elevations are minimal now.

The Z06 is an incredible machine and fairly inexpensive. Bang for the bucks you can not beat it. I personally don't like the feel of American cars and their workmanship, bottom line no matter how fast they are, they don't quite feel like the germans or italian cars. I can drive a car with blind fold on and can tell right away it's American.
    Nonetheless Z06 is a car to be respected and whether it's a good car or not it's all about the bond between the driver and the car

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    761911 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435084 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260358 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257442 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80895 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5318 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

871945 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    807297 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM