Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Future of The Sportscarmanufactors?!

maybe some think after read that iam a dumb, but i have to say that.......

What do you think, my theorie is that, i hate it there is no (or maybe not few) of "TRUE" sportscarmanufactors more. Look at porsche, they building a SUV the Cayenne, i have nothing against it, but they are talking about a BMW X3 competitor, a Smaller version of the cayenne, WTF? Porsche also buys 20% of VW, if that means, porsche maybe using in future VW components in their cars, like transmission or engines and different things, that will be suck!!! I like porsche very much, ...but when i look in the future, i dont know...SEcond thing is Lamborghini, they got owned by Audi, ok i know the murcielago and gallardo are great cars and i realised that the job what audi on lamborghini done, was good. The cars drives even better and better, BUT they got heavier, look murcielago weight of 1800kg thats much as a SL55AMG. And then i must read in the news, that lamborghini is also making an SUV and a smaller sportscar (911carrera competitor) and the smaller sportscar maybe comes with an AUDI 4.2 V8 engine. THATS not the Tradition of Lamborghini.MAN that just sucks, lamborghini is famous for their great engines. Iam really shocked to read that at lambo-sites. And the third. A look far in the Future, is it possible, that maybe lot of Sportscarmanufactors are going to be bankrupt??? cause, The Hybrid and Electric (or different engines) will come. I dont know is porsche or lamborghini and ferrari able to built Hybrid, Electro..... Engines??? Porsche is planning an Hybrid engine in Cayenne in Cooperation with VW, that sucks too, When i wanna see a hybrid engine in a porsche, i want The Engine from Porsche not from VW. they sportscarmanufactors are going to be more and more owned by bigger companys, audi, vw, toyota......
    I hope, dont die and will go bankrupt, sorry, but i must say that.

thanks for all answers and sorry for my bad english

Re: Future of The Sportscarmanufactors?!

Hey TvrFan.
    No need to excuse your english. It works nicely

I think you have to realise that with today's markets and today's competition there is very little room for what you call "true sportscar manufacturers".
    Porsche, Lamborghini and others are using their well-known and acclaimed skills when it comes to building sportscars and extend their portfolio to include SUV and other types of cars - to be able to keep building sportscars.
    Look at Porsche for example. Without the Cayenne, it's doubtful we'd have ever seen a Cayman, let alone future 911's.
    Without WV it's doubtful Lamborghini would have continued making sportscars...and if they had, it probably wouldn't have been of a quality that they deliver today.
    Same with Ferrari. Their FIAT brotherhood is probably necessary for them to continue offering us great sportscars.

There will probably keep being smaller sportscar manufacturers like TVR, Lotus and others, but these will often be highly specialized cars meant for tracking and normally not durable or practical enough for everyday use.

I suggest you look at this in a different perspective: Look at the number of sportscars actually being produced and look at the build quality. It's getting better every year...and I'm pretty sure this was only possible because selling non-sportscars under the same brandname made it possible.

IMO this is not a matter of practicality but a matter of perception and branding.
    Is Porsche less of a sportscar brand because they produce the Cayenne?
    Some say yes, some say no.
    The moment Porsche produces only "regular" cars and make sportscars as a line-extention is the day I get scared.

My 2 cents

You might want to look at VW,Porsche et al in its totality
    and its historical context.

Porsche is now the single largest shareholder of VW. Its history doing a full circle.

If you look it at as "Peich AG" You get a interesting view.

Peich had Porsche lockup its biggest parts supplier(VW)and at the same time can cross team its engineering expertise with Lamborghini, Audi, Skoda, Seat, Cosworth, Bugatti, Bentley and VW.

Peich has created the worlds most unique automotive group and they can leverage platforms, engines and other parts for maximum profit and capabilities.

Peich loves Porsches, and he would be the last person to turn Porsche into a collection of rebadged Golfs. If anything, he will coerce, compell and kick Weidiking in the AXX to be less of a bean counter and to take risks with new and innovative sports car models.

Peich has created a certain power gravitus for himself, he will use it to drag Porsche out of its current market segment filler strategy and to build something new and exciting.

It even allows you to put Bentley emblems on an Audi R8 and tell everyone you won Le Mans.

hahahha yes,
    well i think that as Dr.Phil mentioned it is necessary for thses car manufactures to build other models next to their super sprot cars to survive.. besides it DID make the general quality of all models better.. besides when looking at Porsche one might say that the Cayenne changes the brands image, but i think its not so big of a deal at all because everyone thinks of the 911 when they think of Porsche.. besides the Ceyenne does own just as much in its segment as the 911 does in its, and the boxster in its, and the CGT in its..

Quote:
    LowPolarMoment said:
    It even allows you to put Bentley emblems on an Audi R8 and tell everyone you won Le Mans.

If Piech had his way, just his name would be on it. He did
    the engineering on the 911, Butzi did the styling, He did
    get Porsche its greatest racing victories with the 917 program, he did get Audi to mass produce 4wd cars, he did get the Bentley, Phaeton and Bugattis into manufacture.

Lets see what he can do with the new Kingdom he has created.
    Hes not really retired. Hes out to build a triumphant personal legacy.

Piech definitely seems to be a mastermind. Look at the automotive empire he has created. I have a great deal of faith in him and agree that we won't be seeing any "Porsche badged Golfs."

As long as Porsche (or any sports car manufacturer) keeps making relatively light weight and simple sports cars, then there shouldn't be a problem. Brand image aside, these other luxury models are only a good thing. 1) It allows the company to earn money for technology development. 2) Give the non-sports car drivers what they really want. For example, by building several tiers of 911s, you can build a racer or a GT. There are models like the C4S Cab Tip, and some prospective 911 buyers even jumped to Cayennes.

I would love it if Lotus had the resources of Porsche or Ferrari. Unfortunately Proton bought them primarily for their engineering sector and not the sports car side, so I don't see a lot of money going into it. Maybe VW will show some interest? Though they have bought shares in Proton mostly for the Asian manufacturing.

- J

Apparently you read too much and drive not enough...Porsche.

I'm always surprised by people asking the same questions over and over again. But I'm not surprised that car magazines write about such things over and over again, sex and crime sells and such articles pose a lot of questions actually nobody who is into Porsche cars really asked.

The truth is: I don't give a damn if Porsche builds tractors, Diesel or even buses or minivans. As long as they build fine sportscars, I don't care. Only people who didn't experience the "evolution" from the 993 to the 997 complain about the recent developments.

Maybe a last question: have you driven a 997 lately? I bet not.

Quote:
    DamienL said:
    Piech definitely seems to be a mastermind. Look at the automotive empire he has created. I have a great deal of faith in him and agree that we won't be seeing any "Porsche badged Golfs."

Ferdinand Piech is my "hero" as well.

IMHO, he's the only reason Bentley makes such powerful, fast, and secure cars these days. Not only is he smart, talented, and shrewd, he's got a ton of "want to" working in him.

If he truly is working behind the scenes on Porsche's behalf, I couldn't be more confident that Porsche will continue to make really great sports cars along with really great other kinds of cars. The common thread will be "really great cars".

"Lamborghini, they got owned by Audi"

iam scared that porsche is maybe gotta owned by a other company VW or some other bigs, look at lamborghini they got owned, i dont know if porsche is surviving in future, or lamborghini or some others, cause the future engines like electro or hybrid are very expensive and i dont know that the sportscarmanufactors can match that!? i hope so,

but Porsche is turning more and more to an Mass-Product-Manufactor like mercedes Bmw....... look at their new project, a mini-cayenne, WTF?? who need that?

Quote:
    tvrfan said:
    iam scared that porsche is maybe gotta owned by a other company VW or some other bigs, look at lamborghini they got owned, i dont know if porsche is surviving in future, or lamborghini or some others, cause the future engines like electro or hybrid are very expensive and i dont know that the sportscarmanufactors can match that!? i hope so,

but Porsche is turning more and more to an Mass-Product-Manufactor like mercedes Bmw....... look at their new project, a mini-cayenne, WTF?? who need that?

tvrfan,

Your thinking seems to be a little confused.
    On the one hand, you appear to be worried that sports car manufacturers like Porsche might not be able to survive because they are too small.
    On the other, you are complaining that Porsche is turning into a mass-manufacturer, which would also appear to be your recipe for survival.
    Where the "mini-Cayenne" is concerned, that ís an unconfirmed rumor anyway, so - to use your words - WTF?

As for being "scared" that Porsche might become owned by VW, you seem to be a little bit out of touch with current news, since Porsche recently bought about 20% of VW, and not the other way around.

I am desperately trying to resist the temptation to ask whether this state of confusion is the explanation for you referring to yourself as "tvrfan". Damn, I failed.

Porsche CEO says they saved VW from hostile takeover and that next they want to develop much closer ties , in so many words , with Daimler Chrysler , whatever THAT means for the future of Porsche, VW Group and DaimlerChrysler . More and more manufacturers are seeing Toyota making $10 billion a quarter as they themselves break even ( or VW US operations losing over $1 billion/year ) and are probably wondering if it isn't time to just band together even more .

Der Spiegel interview with Porsche CEO Oct 29 .

The '911 Carrera competitor from Lambo with an Audi 4.2 V8 engine' is the Audi R9 (Le Mans Quattro concept). With the 4.2L V8 Audi engine. Not a Lambo..

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690733 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409924 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256111 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235355 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65730 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858671 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774884 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM