Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Porsche Car Care Products

Anyone ever try Porsche's car care prodcuts, like the Porsche paint preservative or restorer, shampoo, etc.? Are their cheaper identical aftermarket products. Thanx.

Re: Porsche Car Care Products

Quote:
    chipper said:
    Anyone ever try Porsche's car care prodcuts, like the Porsche paint preservative or restorer, shampoo, etc.? Are their cheaper identical aftermarket products. Thanx.

I didn't even know they existed!

I like their wax because it's the easiest of all waxes to apply.

The interior glass cleaner is nice.

Other than that the black bottles/packaging go well with the inside of the closed trunk.

Let's see, these products are from Porsche with Porsche labels? I would guess that a 16 oz. bottle of wax would be, oh, somewhere around $350?

I have the polish, shampoo, leather cleaner, leather conserver, rag top conserver, alloy wheel cleaner and insect remover. All together was under 50 GBP if I remember correctly. I've used all of it except the rag top conserver (due sometimes this month) and the products seem to do their job just fine. The leather care set in particular leaves a nice deep finish on my full black leather interior (I use those constantly to battle the omnipresent make-up stains).

Supposedly Porsche took well known high quality brands of cleaning products and just labelled them.

Quote:
    Ente said:
    I have the polish, shampoo, leather cleaner, leather conserver, rag top conserver, alloy wheel cleaner and insect remover. All together was under 50 GBP if I remember correctly. I've used all of it except the rag top conserver (due sometimes this month) and the products seem to do their job just fine. The leather care set in particular leaves a nice deep finish on my full black leather interior (I use those constantly to battle the omnipresent make-up stains).

Supposedly Porsche took well known high quality brands of cleaning products and just labelled them.

In a way, they do. They can't take the actual products and re-label that's illegal but what they probably do is use a "Contract Manufacturer". Companies that want to market a product but want to do it more Efficiently go to C.M's. For example the company "Bath & Body Works" doesn't manufacturer any products. They have their own retail stores. They buy bottles from one supplier, fragrance oil from another, and have all the components shipped to a CM to mix the ingredients, bottle, pack and ship to their stores. Many times the C.M will also be the one manufacturing the main ingredient. Like if it were a body wash they would be the ones making the soap part of the body wash and then mix the rest of the ingredients. The same thing for WalMart. They have lots of their own different named product lines on their shelves but they're not the ones making candles, making sun-tan lotion or hair gel. They consult with C.M.'s to manufacturer the product for them. Same thing for some other big companies like Dial. They don't make the body wash and soap they sell they contract out to a specialty C.M to do it for them and then send to the retail stores like WalMart and Target that they have contracts with. If the product is an aerosol the majority of the time a seperate aerosol C.M Manufacturer gets invloved because of strict Federal Regulations. Caswell- Massy is another one. Their office in NJ is stricly a marketing and executive facility. They hire C.M's to mix all the ingredients they've choosen for their products. Works the same with most of the designer colognes and perfumes you buy. The designer doesn't make the glass bottle, alcohol, fragrance, or the packaging. Nor do they mix the ingredients to make the cologne, the C.M they hired does this then ships to retail stores.. The vast majority of household products (detergents), , personal care products (colognes/ perfumes, soaps, shampoos,lotions, deo) and air-fresheners (candles, aerosols) that you buy are made this way. Same thing with many care care products. There are some companies that do almost everything in house like Yankee Candle. Yankee makes their own candles but they still import their fragrance oil from fragrance oil manufacture's... I haven't looked into Porsche's products but I highly doubt they are the ones "compounding" and bottling the products. They probably worked out the packaging with one company specializing in packaging, another for the ingredients in the products and yet another another to put it all together and ship. Or they contracted for everything with a single C.M that works with comapnies that specialize in each. Formulations for leather cleaner, leather protectant, car and top shampoo, etc. are created by chemists that sell the formulations to companies looking to launch product lines. They are using quality materials but you're paying extra for the Porsche label on the bottle. If you look at the ingredient label the highest % is almost always listed first, down to the least amount -which many times is dye or fragrance. Nothing stops other companies from using the same ingredients in their products and re-labeling them. Just like you cannot copyright a fragrance or scent or even flavor/ taste. The trick is to figure out exactly how much of each ingredient is in the bottle. Usually it's just easier to develop your own formulation with a C.M.'s chemist. If you look on the bottle by the ingredient listing some times the distributor will be listed. Many times the "distributor" is the manufacturer/C.M. I doubt Porsche has chemists to direct the formulations of their care care products. Just like they don't manufacturer their own crystal 911 paperweight or Porsche hats or sweaters.

Sorry if that was really boring.

Did you buy the kit in the sort of briefcase? With all the products arrayed inside? Thanks for your helpful comments.

I've been usings P21S carnuba wax which is excellent, but tthe 997 manual mentions using Porsche paint preservative, or something like that. I wondered if it deepened the pigment and protected the paint, rather than just putting a shine on it like wax does. In other words, some special German product for German paint. If so, I might try it. thanks.

The case added costs for no reason, so I just got the cleaning products I wanted and stuffed them into a $5 Woolworth nylon bag which fits the Boxster trunk like it's made for it.

Thanks Stradale. P21S is exactly what I've heard being used as Porsche cleaning products but I couldn't confirm the information.

Griot's Garage has been contracted for some of Porsches products

Quote:
    chipper said:
    Did you buy the kit in the sort of briefcase? With all the products arrayed inside? Thanks for your helpful comments.

The nice aluminum case is there to raise the perceived value of the products and to give you the sense that the high price is justified (increase profit margin for Porsche).

My wife fell for it and now I have a bunch of messy bottles in a bag in the garage, and a nice, but completely useless, aluminum case somewhere in storage.

You can't "throw" the case in the car because it will dent and scratch. Can't take it to the office on a daily basis. What ARE you going to do with it?

Oh, one good thing about Porsche products is the leather maintenance supplies.

If you use the wrong stuff by another seller you MAY ruin your leather. On another board a BMW guy got his car detailed, they used the wrong leather contitioner and this leather turned into a permanent sticky mess.

How well do the Porsche products work? Have you tried the wax or paint preservative?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM