Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

If Bugatti Veyron has DSG, why not 997TT ?

This week's Autocar Magazine includes an article where they test drive the new Veyron. It has 1000 bhp. They also said that the Veyron will have DSG. If VW can make a DSG that can handle that much power and torque, then why can't Porsche develop one for the 997 range?

Seems to me like Porsche and VW might be collaborating on this one...

Re: If Bugatti Veyron has DSG, why not 997TT ?

because DSGs are for woman or girly-alike men who can't drive a 6MT.

Quote:
    Kevin 034 said:
    because DSGs are for woman or girly-alike men who can't drive a 6MT.

LOL I agree

I would take a DSG, in fact I'll probably wait to buy a 911 until they produce one with a DSG (like) trans. I like driving a manual transmission car, it would just be nice to be able to throw it in "auto" mode sometimes and not have to pay a penalty in shift speed, or overall performance.

I'm kind of suprised that a manufacturer has not produced a DSG equipped car that has a shifter more like a manual transmission car. You would think this would feel more natural to those that have driven sticks all of their lives, just no pesky clutch.

Because Dsg is only fot VW/Audi now ...
    wait ...wait ...
    rumors tells 2007 .....

They Veyron has to have DSG, if it wasn't semi-auto it would be torn apart

what is a DSG????

DSG is a dynamic shift gearbox. It is basically a very clever manual gearbox which has two clutches but NO clutch pedal. One clutch operates on gears 1,3 and 5, the other on gears 2, 4 and 6. The clever electronics preselect the correct clutch to engage the next gear. The driver has a conventional stick shift but it only goes forward to change up and back to change down instead of the conventional H type shift gait. As you change down gears the electronics match the revs by blipping the throttle to give perfect downshifts. It is a very slick system.

not so slick if the "clever" system guesses the wrong next gear, then you are looking at whole second between shifts. What they really need is a 3 clutch SMG system.

Kevin 034,

The DSG isn't for me either. I prefer a 6 speed manual gearbox.

However, there are some people out there who need a DSG e.g. people with a cardiac problem who get angina if they operate a manual transmission. This is especially a problem in the UK where we have right hand drive. The left arm (where most cardiac patients get angina) obviously operates the gears.

I feel sorry for them. Just because they developed a heart problem, doesn't mean they shouldn't enjoy driving. They shouldn't be forced to drive an automatic. That would take away a lot of the driving pleasure and interaction.

All of the road tests I've ever seen of the DSG box fitted to the Audi TT 3.2 or the VW Golf GTi have had nothing but high praise for it and the testers couldn't fault the speed or smoothness of the shift changes which they claimed were better than those the vast majority of drivers would achieve with a foot operated clutch.

Mike S,

I like your avatar man....really cooooool.

BTW more Veyron stats....

253 mph top speed, 8 litre engine, 16 cylinders, 4 turbos, weighs over 2 tonnes, 0-60 mph in 2.5 seconds!!!

Cost? A little under Pounds850,000

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    I feel sorry for them. Just because they developed a heart problem, doesn't mean they shouldn't enjoy driving. They shouldn't be forced to drive an automatic. That would take away a lot of the driving pleasure and interaction.

in that instance then ok, I agree, an auto-manual box would be the best. But, I've been driving a M3 w/ SMGII for the last 2 years, and I have decided that not only can I shift faster in a MT, I can shift smoother.

From what deemed through reading various DSG style gearbox info

Is the DSG gearbox not excessively heavy? Which partially removes some of its performance advantages?

...Add

Quote:
    Rapture said:
    I would take a DSG, in fact I'll probably wait to buy a 911 until they produce one with a DSG (like) trans. I like driving a manual transmission car, it would just be nice to be able to throw it in "auto" mode sometimes and not have to pay a penalty in shift speed, or overall performance.

I'm kind of suprised that a manufacturer has not produced a DSG equipped car that has a shifter more like a manual transmission car. You would think this would feel more natural to those that have driven sticks all of their lives, just no pesky clutch.

Never, ever, in my 38-plus years, have I even considered a clutch to be "pesky". How lazy is this society getting to be?? Shifting is like breathing, something you never consider as effort...... Or is it just me?

Leave the DSG's to the pinky-waggers and the F1 wannabe's and the techno-obsessed geeks, I'm a manual guy for life!!!

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    Quote:
    Rapture said:

Never, ever, in my 38-plus years, have I even considered a clutch to be "pesky". How lazy is this society getting to be?? Shifting is like breathing, something you never consider as effort...... Or is it just me?

Leave the DSG's to the pinky-waggers and the F1 wannabe's and the techno-obsessed geeks, I'm a manual guy for life!!!

Precisely , DSG OK option for the handbags though ..

throt..

Mike S,

I can't believe you changed your avatar to that, I am utterly disappointed.

I've heard that, new 997 turbo will be availeable with DSG.
    I think, that porsche havn't launched any car with DSG because porsche clients don't require it.

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    Quote:
    Rapture said:

Pesky may be the wrong adjective. I have a U.S Spec R32 which was not available with the DSG here, but I have read many positive articles about it. My friend also just purchased a new Maserati with the Cambio, and I had asked him after several months of ownership would he buy it again and if it feels natural, he said he would. I never quite felt a natural feeling with the steering wheel shift action on the SL55. I enjoy the six speed manual in the R32 quite a bit, but I have owned other vehicles that I have not enjoyed at all specifically because the clutch operation would aggravate a nerve im my left hip. Not bad if it's an occasional driver, but not a daily driver. I'll carry the handbag and drive the DSG in this case.

BTW one of the main reasons this is of current importance is that I was able to sit in the AM Vantage that happened to be at a Illinois dealer this past weekend, and I thought the clutch pedal was very heavy, and that damned pain came back. Maybe it was due to being a pre-production vehicle.

Wait a little longer...I'm sure we'll see it very soon.
    Manual transmission can become aggravating once stuck in very heavy traffic (or maybe I'm just lazy ), so DSG might be something to think about for those situations. Plus, I'm sure it would be much better than the tiptronic available now, so I think it would be a good option.

I would still have a manual though. There's something about the way you can interact with the car that I think DSG would lack.

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    This week's Autocar Magazine includes an article where they test drive the new Veyron. It has 1000 bhp. They also said that the Veyron will have DSG. If VW can make a DSG that can handle that much power and torque, then why can't Porsche develop one for the 997 range?Seems to me like Porsche and VW might be collaborating on this one...

They have one in the GT3 Cup cars. While DSG has advantages in a race car, it takes the sport out of a sports car.

Quote:
    madadd said:
    Is the DSG gearbox not excessively heavy? Which partially removes some of its performance advantages?

The weight difference between Audi A3 or TT with DSG and the same Audi with manual is 30kg. Therefore, the 0-100 km/h times are nearly identical. The DSG variant is just 0.1s faster, but it consumes less fuel and has less CO2 emissions than its manual variant.

I could test drive one of the first DSG equipped A3 3.2 Quattro's almost 2 years ago. That was pretty impressive. Incredible fast and smooth shifts giving the feeling of continuous acceleration.
    BTW, that car is the king of shift possibilities. It has shift paddles behind the steering wheel, shift buttons on the wheel and a shift stick (just forward/backward tipping possible if in manual position). If you don't shift the auto steps in and shifts at red line.

If DSG makes it into the next 911 I might buy my first non manual car ever.
    Hmm, and I bet that most drivers who write against DSG here will either get DSG after their first test drive or if the 911 DSG achieves better 0-100 km/h results than its manual variant

Porsche is probably playing it smart. By the 3rd or 4th model year when sales start to flatten, then they'll introduce DSG to spark sales. There are many individual who live in LA, like me that would prefer a system like DSG.

I agree, performance in the end will rule, and this will dictate which new options folks choose in the future to gain performance. Porsche will develop a DSG transmission and continue to enhance the software so that it will consistantly out perform a manual transmission (read clutch pedal) car. This shouldn't be considered bad, actually good and evolution. This is what those that rely on performance (Porsche) will use to continually enhance and market their product.

I enjoy the overall manual transmission experience, but also think that technology has the potential to benefit this.

I've driven paddle-shift on a BMW M3 on a road course.

What a snore that was, but I understand that BMW's equipment is far from the best....

The only way I could figure somebody would get giddy about it, is if they are simply so impressed/dazzled/starstruck by the technology and how much easier it makes their driving experience, and they never really had much of a love affair, or aptitude, for directly controlling torque conversion mechanically with their left foot in the first place.

But my experience screamed "more efficiency, FAR LESS FUN.."

If you're not in a money-race, then "fun", to me, is the TOP reason to own a Porsche. The fact that they are practical, refined, and all that good stuff, just enhances the car, and leaves you to be able to enjoy the fun yet even more.

I have no plans to buy a robot to have sex with my wife (I'm sure the robot could do it more "efficiently" and maybe even faster...., and certainly would represent technological progress..)

I have no plans to cancel my snow ski vacation in favor of a "virtual reality" computer game.

I have no plans to quit drinking beer, and opting for a much faster and more efficient pill to get me a good buzz.

And I have no plans to own a DSG equipped car.

One of the most visceral parts of driving a performance car, is being the solitary link between the horsepower and the road.

It's like holding a bat, and striking a ball, and feeling the power all through your body, and having the satisfaction of having made a sweet shot. DSG is like strapping a mechanism to your chest that holds a bat, and you press a button to swing it, and it nails the ball perfectly every time. More efficient, more modern, technologically superior, and absolutely lame if you're out on the field to have fun and test your skills.

I understand progress and technology, but there's a point where it REPLACES experience, rather than enhancing it. Technology should enhance and improve the overall experience. Otherwise, it's just gee-gaw stuff for folks who get a woody over such things.

O.K., that's my morning rant. Happy thoughts for the rest of the day!!!

Wow, Boss, nail on the head (as usual i might add). That's exactly one of the reasons that I bought an 88 Carrera just recently. It's just a driving experience as pure as it can get.

However, would you please elaborate on this one:

Quote:
    I have no plans to buy a robot to have sex with my wife (I'm sure the robot could do it more "efficiently" and maybe even faster...., and certainly would represent technological progress..)

On second thought though, I change my mind, please don't.

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    If you're not in a money-race, then "fun", to me, is the TOP reason to own a Porsche. The fact that they are practical, refined, and all that good stuff, just enhances the car, and leaves you to be able to enjoy the fun yet even more.

I have no plans to cancel my snow ski vacation in favor of a "virtual reality" computer game.

I have no plans to quit drinking beer, and opting for a much faster and more efficient pill to get me a good buzz.

And I have no plans to own a DSG equipped car.

One of the most visceral parts of driving a performance car, is being the solitary link between the horsepower and the road.

It's like holding a bat, and striking a ball, and feeling the power all through your body, and having the satisfaction of having made a sweet shot. DSG is like strapping a mechanism to your chest that holds a bat, and you press a button to swing it, and it nails the ball perfectly every time. More efficient, more modern, technologically superior, and absolutely lame if you're out on the field to have fun and test your skills.

I understand progress and technology, but there's a point where it REPLACES experience, rather than enhancing it. Technology should enhance and improve the overall experience. Otherwise, it's just gee-gaw stuff for folks who get a woody over such things.

I would not have been able to say it better...

"I have no plans to quit drinking beer, and opting for a much faster and more efficient pill to get me a good buzz"

Thats the part that I Love the most...

Interesting thread. A discussion about automobile transmissions touches on a little technology, considerable sociology, and a little amateur cardiology thrown in for good measure.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    763229 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435781 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260733 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257719 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    81006 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5323 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872666 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808149 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM