Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: The 997S sits for 3 weeks and starts on first turn of key

Florida, from Orlando south to the keys, is a dismally flat, ugly, and uninspiring place to drive. Orlando itself is quickly devolving into perpetual gridlock. There are some absolutely beautiful areas around the lakes, but.... you're not going to get any spirited driving done there.

NORTH of Orlando, is like a completely different country. Rolling hills, oak trees, and less congestion. I'm about 90 miles north of Orlando in Ocala, "horse country" where many thoroughbred Kentucky Derby horses are trained. There's alot of great roads to choose from around here, and alot of scenic ways to head for the Gulf Coast or the Atlantic. I'm a traffic-hater, so living in Orlando would likely cause me to chew on a gun barrel. I've got some very close friends there, so I visit frequently.

Bad food in Florida??? You've just gotta know where to go, as it is anywhere in the world.

I drove my 997S for the first time in 3+ weeks this weekend. Battery was strong as an oxe. I don't know why you guys are chewing up batteries, but mine, like Carlos's, is fine and dandy after sitting for weeks. Not the slightest inkling of low-charge.

I drink coffee in my P. I've got a cabinet full of leak-proof and insulated sip cups, gets the job done dandy. Anybody who can't drive with their knee, juggling a phone and a cup of coffee, probably can't drive worth a damn with both hands either!!! LOL!!!

I agree with you Carlos.... the helmet-less motorcycle riders are just flat-out idiots. American drivers are such an oblivious lot, that even though I'm a HUGE enthusiast, I don't ride a road going bike. I stick to the woods and MTX tracks on my KTM 520, where the only obstacles are stationary, and the only thing that might mow you over is just another 230 pound dirtbike....

Re: The 997S sits for 3 weeks and starts on first turn of ke

Quote:
    gradyex said:
    How true Carlos about how most Americans don't know how to drive. The only thing I can add to your list that just makes me livid is driving in the left hand lane to pass (what it was intended for) only to have some dip**** blocking it and not giving way. Here in CA. you might as well forget it because I think it like one out of 5 cars (at best) actually do it. Try that in Europe and see what happens if you plan to block the left lane and not let cars pass. Being Italian and driving in Italy many times light, horn, and fingers start flying (in addition to getting a ticket from law enforcement). I have yet to see one [censored] here in the US blocking the left lane and being pulled over by CHP for this. This is my BIGGEST PET PEEVE when driving my P car around the Bay Area and I'm sorry but it REALLY INFURIATES ME!

I'm with you 100%. In canada its exactly the same way. Ironically during my commute its the right lane thats faster!!! Its amazing how oblivious people can be to their surroundings when driving and this is unacceptable- far too many idiots have licenses which just causes problems for skilled drivers. Its so true that people here do everything except drive while they are behind the wheel, I drove past one lady last week driving 10km/hr under the speed limit (extremely dangerous on its own) reading a newspaper!!! Its come to the point where people think its a right to have a licenses and not a privilege-which it is.

Get this- Discovery Channel in canada just released "Canada's worst drivers"- web page . A show showing 10 or so absolutely horrible drivers. I say forget the show and just pull their licenses.

It doesn't take skill to use a steering wheel and a the pedals, but it takes skill to drive, and more skill to drive well.

Good to hear about the start after 3 weeks.

Regarding " it was a sportcar enthusiast's nightmare!! There were no curves, no hills, no nothing! just flat straights with 90* intersections with stoplights" I haven't read replies yet but I'm sure people have already commented that in most parts of Florida that is very true. Very flat with little in the way or turns. It is a real bore to drive but other areas of the country like the North East and West Coast it's very,very different if you haven't already visited.

You saw more Harley's then sportsbikes because guys in the US on sportbikes typically don't travel much further then out of their own neighborhood. Harley riders will come from all over the country to tour and visit Orlando (tourist location). The furthest I ever traveled on my sports bikes was 200 miles one way. On my Harley I've been on trips where we've covered 7 states in a day.

Last April I stayed at the Grand Floridian, right in the main park. Very nice Hotel. Would be my #1 choice for a return visit. What did you think of Disney ? (I assume that's why you were there.)

Regarding the NASCAR - ha ! ha! ha !
    You were so close to Daytona International Speedway. You would have gotten a real kick out of that even if NASCAR isn't your bag. 2.5 Miles,
    Banking Turns: 31 degrees. Back Straight 3,000 feet.

Thanks fer the report !

For the record, NASCAR has some road courses on it's schedule. Mark Martin, Ricky Rudd, Jeff Gordon, Boris Said, all very capable road-course drivers, although most of their time is spent in a constant LH turn. NASCAR, nonetheless, bores the hell out of me as well. From a race team's standpoint, and a driver's standpoint, it is said to be extremely challenging and extremely technical. I BELIEVE that. Jack Roush came from a highly successful road racing background, and he considers NASCAR to be the greatest challenge he's ever faced, by far. But from this fan's standpoint, from the outside looking in, it's like watching paint dry.

Quote:
    JP66 said:
    Yes, nice to have you back Carlos. It's also interesting to put a face to a screen name after seeing them online for so long. I pictured you with longer hair.....

Actually I did have my hair just like antonio's in the picture back in my college years but had to cut it when I started the clinic internship years.

Quote:
    Jim_in_Iowa said:
    Carlos, the next time you come back to Palmer, let me know and we'll do the best roads in in the upper Midwest. I did 700 miles in the last 2 days, and it was great.

On Saturday, I discovered I cannot keep up with a Gallardo once I hit 3rd, and against a 996 TT, well it disappears as if shot out of a cannon.

Jim

Jim, Many poeple don't realise it but Iowa has some great great roads for driving. I used to look foward when I had to drive out of state for seminars, hangliding, or whatever just to get on those roads

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    I agree with you Carlos.... the helmet-less motorcycle riders are just flat-out idiots. American drivers are such an oblivious lot, that even though I'm a HUGE enthusiast, I don't ride a road going bike. I stick to the woods and MTX tracks on my KTM 520, where the only obstacles are stationary, and the only thing that might mow you over is just another 230 pound dirtbike....

For different reasons, its very dangerous to drive bikes here on the roads as well, moratlity rates are crazy... I'm afraid I will have to hang my leathers sooner or later, and stick to the sportquad and the woods/trails like you. Its also so much fun and rewarding.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Last April I stayed at the Grand Floridian, right in the main park. Very nice Hotel. Would be my #1 choice for a return visit. What did you think of Disney ? (I assume that's why you were there.)

The Grand Floridian was my second choice the Polynesian and Grand Floridian are side by side and the best in Disney property IMO, but decided on the Polynesian due to the also proximity to the TTC, and the way its themed. Maybe next time

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Actually I did have my hair just like antonio's in the picture back in my college years but had to cut it when I started the clinic internship years.

You got tired of all the Hollywood talent scouts trying to lure you away from your medical career, right.

Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:

You got tired of all the Hollywood talent scouts trying to lure you away from your medical career, right.

Hey! I had my hair like that before he did!

Quote:
    Porsche-Jeck said:
    Quote:
    VKSF said:

I'd bet most of the car guys in Europe would be well-served by buying a house in the Munich region for autobahn runs, drives into the nearby mtns and for quick blitzes to more global playgrounds in S France/N Italy for arguably hotter chicks and better cuisine....

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Europe, ex-Germany, certainly doesn't sound any more car-friendly than CA....there are speed lims everywhere but Germany....

VKSF, your description about the advantageous location of Munich is absolutely correct, but regarding the driving-friendly legal and political environment here in Germany it maybe time to correct some myths: yes it is true that there is no GENERAL speed-limit on the Autobahn, but meanwhile the stretches with a speedlimit (in most cases 100 km/h or 120 km/h) are becoming more and more "popular" due to "green" politicians and other bureaucrats disliking so-called "racers" (= car enthusiasts) - in fact accident statistics do not support the idea, that speed limits on the autobahn would lead to a significant decrease of crashes, so it's more a thing of political correctness. Actually appr. 50% of the autobahnen are "spoiled" by speed-limits today already and this percentage is increasing every year. For example back in the eighties I could rush from Cologne to Bavaria (appr. 700 km) in just 4 hrs + 15 min, if taking off on a sunday early morning. Today I would run the risk of loosing my driving licence if driving at that pace.

Up to a couple of weeks ago I could enjoy at least two extended stretches of my daily commuting autobahn-route without any speed-limit (sort of nice concentration workout if you can rush to your office at a speed of > 200 km/h) - still way slower than Carlos' commute at > 300 km/h
    Then all of a sudden the party was over as these ugly signs for a 120 km/h speed limit have been installed.
    I hope that the rumors saying that there will be a general speed limit in the near future due to European "harmonization" will never turn into reality....
    But sometimes the autobahn-myth helps when driving abroad: my wife has had a friendly encounter with a police officer in California when riding a 911 (in the early eighties) way to fast. First the officer was admiring the 911 and then he looked at the old-style grey German Führerschein like it would be some kind of an official race-licence "I heard that you don't have those speed-limits in Germany, is that really true ?" so she was not charged with a fine. I experienced the same situation some 10 years ago on a Brazilian highway (between Rio and Sao Paulo).

I allways have been asking myself whether the success of the German carmakers actually is supported by the fact that the German cardrivers could enjoy the autobahn without a speed limit, forcing the carmakers to look for the best technologies in terms of suspension, brakes etc. - maybe an interesting topic for a new thread...

Enjoy the fantastic scenic routes in California (I envy you when thinking of the upcoming German winter)

I appreciate the clarification re: Germany's car culture ....the trend appears gloomy in Germany for sportscar drivers ...

But be optimistic: I recall back in the early '90s the fwys in the LA and SF regions had 55MPH speed lims and the traffic was incredibly slow and jammed-up even at supposedly non-rush hr times; but in the ?mid-'90s the speed lims were raised to 65MPH in both regions; more toll fwys were built in some areas; and the traffic flow around SF and LA today is relatively easy even in rush hr if one knows the traffic patterns(the 35 mi SF-Menlo Pk rush hr commute can easily be done in <30 mins...w/some well-known stretches of "Munich-like" speeds)......the improved traffic flow is even more impressive when one considers the population growth and sprawl of these 2 regions over past 15 yrs.

People also often tend to think the "grass is greener" elsewhere. Having survived a few yrs in NYC, I laugh when people in SF/LA claim that traffic/roads are bad.....esp b/c one of the fwys btwn SF and SilicVy (SF is just a suburb of SilicVy, which is the economic epicenter of the region) is arguably one of the most scenic and fast-moving (even in rush hr) urban fwys in the world....and the mtn twisties are only 30 mins from SF's financial dt or from SilicVy's major cos./office centers....just gotta know when/where to attack the fwys/twisties.....

Quote:
    VKSF said:
    I appreciate the clarification re: Germany's car culture ....the trend appears gloomy in Germany for sportscar drivers ...

But be optimistic: I recall back in the early '90s the fwys in the LA and SF regions had 55MPH speed lims and the traffic was incredibly slow and jammed-up even at supposedly non-rush hr times; but in the ?mid-'90s the speed lims were raised to 65MPH in both regions; more toll fwys were built in some areas; and the traffic flow around SF and LA today is relatively easy even in rush hr if one knows the traffic patterns(the 35 mi SF-Menlo Pk rush hr commute can easily be done in <30 mins...w/some well-known stretches of "Munich-like" speeds)......the improved traffic flow is even more impressive when one considers the population growth and sprawl of these 2 regions over past 15 yrs.

People also often tend to think the "grass is greener" elsewhere. Having survived a few yrs in NYC, I laugh when people in SF/LA claim that traffic/roads are bad.....esp b/c one of the fwys btwn SF and SilicVy (SF is just a suburb of SilicVy, which is the economic epicenter of the region) is arguably one of the most scenic and fast-moving (even in rush hr) urban fwys in the world....and the mtn twisties are only 30 mins from SF's financial dt or from SilicVy's major cos./office centers....just gotta know when/where to attack the fwys/twisties.....

Silicon Valley (San Jose) in the late 80's suffered from poor freeway bottlenecks. It seemed like every major freeway had a 2 lane bottleneck. Traffic was a nightmare back then.

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    Quote:
    VKSF said:

Silicon Valley (San Jose) in the late 80's suffered from poor freeway bottlenecks. It seemed like every major freeway had a 2 lane bottleneck. Traffic was a nightmare back then.

Alan, traffic moves in waves. Back in '99-'00 SilicVy traffic was becoming increasingly slow to point where many affluent guys were adopting (or contemplating) the NYC approach of getting an S-Class and driver to get them to the office/mtgs.....

But, post-Bubble, many of the lower wage jobs (and traffic) have been increasingly moved out of SF to lower-cost SD, Phx, Dall, Austin, etc....and traffic in SF region is prob fastest of any economically relevant urban region in world....

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/29/24 1:47 PM
    Enmanuel
    691173 1781
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410246 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256274 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235434 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65761 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4747 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858880 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775201 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM