Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

The Porsche family and Nazi Germany

I'm not sure this is a permitted topic, but a Jewish friend of mine whom I esteem and admire, and who lost family members in concentration camps during World War II, told me that she could never buy a German car "produced by the decendents of Nazis." While I can never fully appreciate her feelings about this, having not experienced her loss, I would like to report back to her that Ferry Porshce, who created the 356, and whose son created the 911, was not involved with the Nazis, but I frankly don't know my history well enough. I can do a web search, but first I thought I would ask here to see if anybody knows the family's history during the Nazi period.

Re: The Porsche family and Nazi Germany

I would keep quiet if I were you.

Porsche designed and built lots of vehicles for the Nazi regime. They missed out on the contract for the Tiger Tank.

You shouldn't blame the sins of the past on the future though.

america nuked hiroshima
    japan bombed pearl harbor
    Romans killed alot of people (that rules out the ferraris & lambos)
    & the french....
    I guess the only cars your friend can buy are french ones
    oh! she could prolly get a koenigsegg

Basically, the thinking of your friend is, in my opinion, pointless

Tell your friend she is a stupid bitch and if she is an American then right now she should feel a lot more ashamed of her own countries atrocities.

Quote:
    jjr1 said:
    Tell your friend she is a stupid bitch and if she is an American then right now she should feel a lot more ashamed of her own countries atrocities.

Owned...

BTW I'm Jewish and I have no problem with my parents owning their Audis...but she is entitled to her own opinion. I still know of a few people who hold similar opinions.

Firstly, I really think that topic doesn't belong into a rennteam thread.
    Secondly "decendents of Nazis" is an insult in its own and I'm not willing to accept such speaking. Things are not comparable, but we could easily blaim Israel for their treatment of the Palestinians and so on.
    And thirdly I really have to say that blaming the today's Germans for what has happened over sixty years ago is plain stupid and obviously a lack of knowledge.

An advice to your friend: if she doesn't want to drive German cars, well, she doesn't have to! She has the right to drive whatever she wants But if she's consistent, she'll better WALK in the future, as sdy284 and jjr1 already said.

Quote:
    jjr1 said:

Too bad you're too ashamed to say what country you're from although I suspect that country is ashamed of you too.

The Fuhrer commissioned Ferdinand Porsche to design a car for the people. You may recognize it, the Volkswagen Beetle? More history here: http://www.autoswalk.com/porsche356.html and here: http://www.speedace.info/volkswagen_and_porsche_history.htm

Anyone would have a hard time trying to circumnavigate their purchases if they were always trying to be politically correct. But hey, if she feels that strongly about it then have at it.

It's ironic your friend brings this up as the History Channel is running a program called "Hitler's Managers" with Ferdinand Porsche having his own episode. I found his contrubution derived from the direction of the ruling party more than a torch bearer for Adolf's screwed up philosophy. It did point out that even as a Colonel in the SS, Ferdinand was not interested in politics, but getting his ideas executed. It did say that Jews and other "undesirables" were taken from the concentration camps and set to work in the Wolfsburg factory. Many were actually saved from the gas chambers, but not until the end of the war. A disgusting era in history, yet the Nazi ideology has no place in Porsche's desire to build great cars.

I am half German and am ashamed at what occured under Hitler. But this will not keep me from purchasing my dream. Mussolini was no angel. Neither was Creitin who ran the occupational Nazi regime in France during WWII.

This is all a bit drab and dreary dredging up the past on a nice quiet Sunday evening.

But, seeing as someone declared this open season and the French and Germans are getting a pasting...

Q - Why are there trees on the Champs Elysees in Paris?
    A - Because the Germans dont like marching in the sun.

Smile, lighten up everyone!

To be fair, there are a lot of so-called leaders that committed atrocities against humanity. Regardless of what the cause is, civilian blood was shed under those leaders' instructions. Numerous examples are available in every region and every culture.

So let's not point fingers at the germans, americans or any other culture. There will always be a time when a nation regrets the waste of life, especially the lives of children.

It is sad to see that "collective punishment" in the name of nationalism and patriotism is very much evident in this thread. Isn't it time that we rise above it?

Quote:
    Oxonian said:
    To be fair, there are a lot of so-called leaders that committed atrocities against humanity. Regardless of what the cause is, civilian blood was shed under those leaders' instructions. Numerous examples are available in every region and every culture.

So let's not point fingers at the germans, americans or any other culture. There will always be a time when a nation regrets the waste of life, especially the lives of children.

It is sad to see that "collective punishment" in the name of nationalism and patriotism is very much evident in this thread. Isn't it time that we rise above it?

Here, here!

Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Firstly, I really think that topic doesn't belong into a rennteam thread.
    Secondly "decendents of Nazis" is an insult in its own and I'm not willing to accept such speaking. Things are not comparable, but we could easily blaim Israel for their treatment of the Palestinians and so on.
    And thirdly I really have to say that blaming the today's Germans for what has happened over sixty years ago is plain stupid and obviously a lack of knowledge.

An advice to your friend: if she doesn't want to drive German cars, well, she doesn't have to! She has the right to drive whatever she wants But if she's consistent, she'll better WALK in the future, as sdy284 and jjr1 already said.

Very eloquently said, Rossi.

I much prefer this forum when we tease each other about who has the faster car and the hotter wife or girlfriend, right PTM?

Quote:
    Oxonian said:

Thank you Oxonian, for showing some maturity and clear thinking in this thread. I can't think of a single culture that is beyond reproach with this issue. It is everyone's individual responsibility to be vigilant for intolerant thinking and behavior, and correct it when possible. I think a little "teasing" or humor is OK, but actual prejudices only create problems where none need exist.

mcdelaug

I'm probabbly the last person to speak about this subject (and dont ask me why please) but tell your friend that she should put this german country/german cars/nazi times thing behind her back, even when she is correct (and i dont question that, far from that) saying the nazis times were one of the bigguest cancers the world has even seen, specially for jewish people, because life is a really precious thing and there are things more important than that and i'm learning that the hard way.

I think every country has their black mark, my country due to their desire of conquering the world slaughted Africa in the 16th Century and most recently we did nothing for the people in East Timor.

There you go...

Please let's not get involved in this kind of topics in a car forum. We truely appreciate it.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/29/24 1:47 PM
    Enmanuel
    691198 1781
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410270 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256291 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235442 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65765 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4747 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858905 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775238 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM