Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayenne Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Mini-Cayennne on the cards

Pistonheads (c)

Rumours are floating around that Porsche plans to build a small SUV to compete with BMW's X3. It'll be about 20cm shorter than the Cayenne -- itself no titch at 4,786mm.

Speculation is that VW may build it, and that it may use more VW components than the Cayenne.

We also hear that Porsche shares jumped 1.3 per cent as investors heard that Porsche boss Wendelin Wiedeking was considering outsourcing the building of the forthcoming Panamera four-seater to VW.

This follows Porsche recent purchase of 20 per cent of VW, making it the largest single shareholder. Well, it keeps it all in the family: VW chairman Ferdinand Piech is the grandson of Porsche's founder, Ferdinand Porsche, and also sits on Porsche's supervisory board.

The Panamera is scheduled to go on sale in 2009.

Re: Mini-Cayennne on the cards

FFS, this is Porsche! Not friggin BMW or Merc, why do they even need to compete on the same level?! The Cayenne I can accept and have found to love, but this new mini-SUV... makes Porsche feel like any other common manufacturer. The day it is made official, I'm selling my Cayenne!

A german car magazine started this rumour recently. The same car magazine which called the "Roadrunner" a prototype for a possible lightweight Cayenne clubsport (which by the way is ridiculous, the "Roadrunner" is just a fun project created by some young mechanics at the factory in Leipzig).

I believe more in a Cayenne long version based on the Audi Q7. It is no secret that the Audi Q7 shares a lot of parts with the Touareg and the Cayenne.

I suppose if they are going bigger, it is fine. But to go lower porsche is meant to set the high standards, not drop down to the level of the competitors!

Re: Yeah for Mini-Cayennne in the cards

Think Big.

What better way for VW to compete against BMW and Mercedes but with a range of Porsche badged competitors.

Expect new models from Porsche with them having complete and unrestricted access to VW parts and platforms.

Since Porsche is now the singles biggest shareholder,we will see some interesting product realignment.

Panamera? Sure in a Porsche, Audi and VW Phaeton flavors.

SUV's, the same maybe as with the Treg and Q7 and Cayenne now, but in smaller versions maybe also.

Audi mid engine super car? Maybe that project will go to Porsche.

VW does have a lightweight 2 seat roadster in development. Porsche could make their own version of it.

Porsche dumped Toyotas hybrid technology and is going with Honda hybrid technology. Who knows we could see a Porsche Golf/Civic competitor.

Porsche is not interested in being a "sports" car company anymore. Now they control VW and tknow they can add huge bottom line results when the name Porsche is attached to any car.

Follow the Money, they are!

Hell,let them build 914s again.

I could stand the Cayenne because I looked at it as being a way for Porsche to put more money into R&D of its sportscars. Also, the Cayenne is a very high-end SUV. A smaller, cheaper SUV would be a big mistake. You see too many Cayennes as it is.
    I hope RC is right. We've heard a lot about the Panamera, which is due in '09, but this is the first time I've heard anything about this.
    I doubt we'll see it. At least that's what I'll tell myself to be able to sleep at night.

why do you need a small SUV? because its cheaper? Not for Porsche, if you want something small get the boxster or 911 or cayman, if you want larger 7seaters SUV, it makes much more sense, honestly my dad loves the Cayenne, just if its bigger, he would get it back home since he never drives one, driver is more worthed there. But the rear seats are just too tight, too straight

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Porsche is not interested in being a "sports" car company anymore. Now they control VW and tknow they can add huge bottom line results when the name Porsche is attached to any car.

That's what I was argueing about, if they keep doing what they're doing they won't be a sports car brand anymore. Just an expensive brand... but when that happens, is when I stop supporting the Porsche brand.

Quote:
    Mike S said:
    Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

That's what I was argueing about, if they keep doing what they're doing they won't be a sports car brand anymore. Just an expensive brand... but when that happens, is when I stop supporting the Porsche brand.

And all the time people were accepting Porsches lower cost motors, higher priced cars and hesitating Cayennes just to keep Porsche afloat. They fooled everyone and took their
    3 billion of customer goodwill and bought control of VW.

You are living through Porsches transition stage from a small production sports car company to a brand whose model lineup is designed to exploit opportunities across market segments in concert with Audi and VW.

If Porsche was still so serious about sports cars they would have launched a Cayman model with a 3.8 liter S
    powerkit motor. It probably would lap the Ring faster than a carrera S, Ferrari F430 or a Lambo Gallardo.

Porsche is all about product and brand hierarchy now. Wait until they integrate their product planning with VW and Audi to maximize platform investment and cost reductions from suppliers to compete with BMW and Mercedes. It might turn out to all be a good thing, we hope.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    ...to compete with BMW and Mercedes. It might turn out to all be a good thing, we hope.

I'd rather spend the money on a BMW or Mercedes if it comes to that. The only thing difference then would be you're paying a little extra to have the Porsche name.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    If Porsche was still so serious about sports cars they would have launched a Cayman model with a 3.8 liter S
    powerkit motor. It probably would lap the Ring faster than a carrera S, Ferrari F430 or a Lambo Gallardo.

Just a stupid question: what has the Cayman to do with Porsche being serious about building sportscars? I may not get your point...or maybe I get it and I'm a tease?!
    Why would Porsche build a car which would actually endanger 911 sales? Why not building a 911 lightweight version instead? The answer is simple: not many people really want it. I remember when the GT3 showed up. Hundreds of the so called hardcore Porsche customers bought one, hoping to put their hands on the most sporty Porsche model...back to "heritage" again. And what happened? Most of these people sold their GT3 and went for the 996 Turbo instead...they couldn't really drive the GT3, at least not as fast as they thought they'll be able to.
    Then, the GT2 came. Lots of 996 Turbo owners changed to the GT2...the most sporty Porsche model...bla bla bla..again.
    What happened? They sold their GT2 and went for a tuned 996 Turbo instead...or a SL55/SL65 AMG.
    Or look at the Carrera GT: so many people wanted it...Porsche still seems to have problems to sell the whole planned production, not to talk about the many sold CGT, some still sitting at dealers worldwide in the showroom.

I know what most people want who criticize Porsche for their current model range and prices: they want a lightweight, high power, inexpensive Coupe. Well, Porsche won't build that. Period. Why don't people get the point?!

If I want to buy a ripped off little racer without any comfort left, without any safety left and with two seats only, there are so many options out there. But surprisingly, many of those little inexpensive racers out there are...much slowlier than even a big butt heavy 911 and I'm not talking about top speed or straight line acceleration.

So maybe you could answer my question: why should Porsche build a Cayman with 381 HP? Well, I have news for you: you can get a car from Porsche with the same weight like the Cayman and with even slightly more power. You're surprised and you're asking: which one is it? Simple: 997 GT3. Welcome to the real world where quality has a price.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

Just a stupid question: what has the Cayman to do with Porsche being serious about building sportscars? I may not get your point...or maybe I get it and I'm a tease?!
    Why would Porsche build a car which would actually endanger 911 sales? Why not building a 911 lightweight version instead? The answer is simple: not many people really want it. I remember when the GT3 showed up. Hundreds of the so called hardcore Porsche customers bought one, hoping to put their hands on the most sporty Porsche model...back to "heritage" again. And what happened? Most of these people sold their GT3 and went for the 996 Turbo instead...they couldn't really drive the GT3, at least not as fast as they thought they'll be able to.
    Then, the GT2 came. Lots of 996 Turbo owners changed to the GT2...the most sporty Porsche model...bla bla bla..again.
    What happened? They sold their GT2 and went for a tuned 996 Turbo instead...or a SL55/SL65 AMG.
    Or look at the Carrera GT: so many people wanted it...Porsche still seems to have problems to sell the whole planned production, not to talk about the many sold CGT, some still sitting at dealers worldwide in the showroom.

I know what most people want who criticize Porsche for their current model range and prices: they want a lightweight, high power, inexpensive Coupe. Well, Porsche won't build that. Period. Why don't people get the point?!

If I want to buy a ripped off little racer without any comfort left, without any safety left and with two seats only, there are so many options out there. But surprisingly, many of those little inexpensive racers out there are...much slowlier than even a big butt heavy 911 and I'm not talking about top speed or straight line acceleration.

So maybe you could answer my question: why should Porsche build a Cayman with 381 HP? Well, I have news for you: you can get a car from Porsche with the same weight like the Cayman and with even slightly more power. You're surprised and you're asking: which one is it? Simple: 997 GT3. Welcome to the real world where quality has a price.

lol, yes quality does have a price

But, since the C7 Cayman is its own little wonderful world
    as Porsche claims Then why not a go fast version of it? So what if its priced 20K under a GT3, Porsche claims that the 911 is its own brand and that the Cayman is "special." Well, lets see them make a "special"
    car for those not wanting a GT3.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690098 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409520 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255869 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235109 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65605 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4651 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858264 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774427 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM