Crown

Board: Porsche - Carrera GT / 918 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 918 latest news Thread Closed

Different circuits make a big difference, the 918 has traction but not as much outright power and is heavier.  Horses for courses as they say.

The Nurburgring is for me the best test.

JAG007:

Different circuits make a big difference, the 918 has traction but not as much outright power and is heavier.  Horses for courses as they say.

The Nurburgring is for me the best test.

This is the same Portimao circuit, which C. Harris used for his test with the same factory cars. The results were much different... 

I can already hear the complaints that the fezzes' a ringer...

Another one for Stuttgart kiss

Guys I am on a 918 driving event by PCNA. It doesn't end till Sunday. I will post about it after. 

We did LA PEC grand opening then a leisure drive to SF from LA.

--

in your own car or theirs?

Probably theirs...I recall he was flying down but then again he could have had his car shipped down there. :)

My own. Here is a sneak peek.

IMG_1852.JPG

--

From that sneak pic you car looks the best! The Cayenne in the light blue looks good too, never saw a Cayenne in this hue, I believe it is Saphire Blue.

Whoopsy:

My own. Here is a sneak peek.

IMG_1852.JPG

Nice!

Ziggy:

From that sneak pic you car looks the best! The Cayenne in the light blue looks good too, never saw a Cayenne in this hue, I believe it is Saphire Blue.

That's actually a Macan

--

Anyway, so I flew down to LA on Tuesday to do a 918 Spyder Drive organized by PCNA, their first ever 918 owners event. It coincides with the grand opening of the new Porsche Experience Centre in LA.

The event was basically a drive from LA to SF, along the PCH. I shipped my own car down, so did 2 other customers from Texas and Florida. Another local LA owner also decided to bring his car. 4 more owners came but didn't ship their cars, so they got to use the Turbo S rentals. Porsche also send 2 Macans as lead cars for each group and finally a red 911 as the sweeper in the end and also do some camera and video footage.

We got picked up at LAX and driven to Terranea Resort. That's where the sneak peek pic was from. On arrival the cars were fuelled up, charged up, washed and cleaned, and under a car cover.

IMG_1784.JPG

No need to use the cars yet as at the evening we were shuttle to the PEC for the grand opening.

IMG_1793.JPG

IMG_1818.JPG

IMG_1836.JPG

Afterwards we were shuttled back to the hotel and rest up for the coming few days of driving.

IMG_1853.JPG

We headed off to Long Beach to get on a helicopter to Catalina Island, got a tour and lunch and then helicopter back to the mainland and heads towards Beverly Hills. Beverly Hills Hotel is our overnight destination.

FullSizeRender.jpg

Getting stuck in 405 traffic. We also have to dodge other motorists who were taking pictures videos of a train of 4 918s. 

--

Next morning we head off to the Petersen Museum for a private tour of the vault. No pictures but there are some amazing cars down there. 

Lunch at the museum and Porsche and also arrange a special gift for all of us. They had commissioned a local LA graffiti artist to do individual art piece for each of us, including the spouses that came along.

IMG_1900.JPG

IMG_1908.JPG

IMG_1913.JPG

IMG_1915.JPG

The artist's name is James Haunt, I believe the big piece will be going into the PEC LA and that last one is my piece.

After that we heading off to the Belmond Hotel in Santa Barbara. and a shuttle takes us to the Bouchon Restaurant for dinner. Amazing food!

--

Looks like a fun Event - no acid green 918 ? indecision

Next day we depart Santa Barbara for Big Sur. Ventana Inn is the destination. Those roads, wow, what a drive!

IMG_1938.JPG

initially we were suppose to visit Hearst Castle after lunch, but we decided not to and drive instead. So we basically drove past the hotel and all the way to Monterey and then back. 

IMG_1999.JPG

--

Day 5 is the big driving day, from Big Sur to SF. The sky did help and start raining. We were also under a tight schedule as we needed to arrive at the Fairmont SF by noon just so they can shuttle us back to the airport to catch a private jet to fly all the way back to Long Beach. They had scheduled us to drive the PEC test track that afternoon.

Of course this being California, they have no clue how to drive in the rain.

We saw 2 accidents, like back to back. One happened probably a couple mins before we arrived and another on the other side like moments later. Literally 100 ft down the road on the other side of the divider.

IMG_1992.JPG

IMG_1994.JPG

IMG_1990.JPG

PEC was fun. Porsche had recruited 3 professional drifters to get us drifting in addition to their own driving instructors for the modules and the 1.35 mile circuit.

We also had dinner at the PEC restaurant, 917. Excellent food again.

IMG_2027.JPG

Even the butter are 911 shaped!
    --

Day 6 is the good by day, 2 of the 918s got loaded onto transport, and some fly off to home, a few stayed in SF for extra days and me and another owner drives back to LA. Yes, we started in LA and drive to SF, only to fly back to LA and then fly back to SF just so we can pick up the cars and drive all the way back to LA again.

Someone snapped us and even found our instagrams and tagged us. This is like 2 blocks away from the hotel. 

Screen Shot 2016-11-21 at 12.03.50 AM.png

I have to say, it was nerve wrecking driving the 918 in SF. All those slopes and stuff. 

And with the boring drive down I5 back to LA, what do you do when there are 2 918s on the highway? 

Screen Shot 2016-11-21 at 12.02.18 AM.png

IMG_2038.JPG

We keep taking pictures of each others of course!

So now I am back in LA, gonna spend a couple days with my family here before heading home.

--

Cost for the trip per person is $5500. Unofficially, the cost at PCNA side is around $15,000. They lose money in dollar terms but the good will they gave us is priceless.

And yes, I am not a PCNA customer and I am not suppose to be there, but hey, I know them and they know me and they sort of adopted me as their +1 anyway.

--

Whoopsy:

Cost for the trip per person is $5500. Unofficially, the cost at PCNA side is around $15,000. They lose money in dollar terms but the good will they gave us is priceless.

And yes, I am not a PCNA customer and I am not suppose to be there, but hey, I know them and they know me and they sort of adopted me as their +1 anyway.

Smiley PCNA certainly is under good leadership. Smiley

Also, they really appreciate your posts here, I know that for a fact. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

@ Whoopsy

Thanks again for these great pics Smiley

What kind of sticker is on the right side of your 918 - the layout of your new racetrack?

Blueflame

Very nice. That white 918 looks surprisingly good with the heavy black accents...

Good opportunity to catch up on our increasingly thriving food scene in LA.  

Nick, thank you for sharing! kiss $5,500 per person does not sound expensive for such a first-class experience. 

Nick, what can I say? You know how to live. Envious.kiss

--

One of history's few iron laws is that luxuries tend to become necessities and to spawn new obligations.

SciFrog:

Very nice. That white 918 looks surprisingly good with the heavy black accents...

But the black one looks ten times betterSmiley

--

J.Seven

Thanks for posting your trip! Looks like it was an amazing event, very well organized. Love the passion, even the butter is 911 shaped haha. You guys must've turned a lot of heads on the road. 

--

1986 BMW 325i Cabrio Alpine Weiss/Black Leather - German Spec 
    2006 Mercedes-Benz CLS 500 Black/Black Leather 

Ex: ''91 BMW 535i, '91 BMW 318i, '89 BMW 525i, '74 Mercedes-Benz 280E, '87 BMW 325is, '86 BMW 325e, '05 Ford Focus ZX4 S, '85.5 Porsche 944

blueflame:

@ Whoopsy

What kind of sticker is on the right side of your 918 - the layout of your new racetrack?

Blueflame

Yup!

--

Whoopsy:
    blueflame:

@ Whoopsy

Blueflame

Yup!

SmileySmileySmiley

--

997TT RS Tuning stage II(sold),2011 Cayenne Turbo(sold),waiting 991 GT3 RS

When Will Porsche Build An All-New 918 Spyder?

Dr. Frank-Steffen Walliser is vice president of motorsport at Porsche AG and one of the driving forces behind the astonishing 918 Spyder. We sat down with Walliser to talk about his beloved hypercar, the state of Porsche motorsports, and how he thinks Porsche’s fastest cars will look in the not-so-distant future.

AM: What’s it like, looking back at the 918 Spyder project, seeing how people reacted to the hypercar and its competitors?

FSW: For sure with time and distance everything looks easier, like always. The past, everything looks better, but definitely I will not forget how difficult it was to make the car, to set up the team, to solve all the technical things we had to in a very, very short time with very limited resources. This was definitely the challenge, but it is the ultimate hypercar. I think also compared to our competitors it is the most extreme, the most useful, the most advanced hypercar of this astonishing period. We had been the first, and the others changed their concepts to our concepts. That’s the truth. The Ferrari did not look the same before Geneva 2010. I think we gave the direction and the others followed, and nobody had us on the list to have the fastest car. [We] had the best car with the best fuel consumption, which for sure makes you proud and makes the company proud. It wasn’t only a huge project but was also good spirit in the company to go through that storm. The development of the car was really a storm — a hurricane.

AM: How do you feel about the Adrian Newey–designed AM-RB001 joint project between Aston Martin and Red Bull? Or the Mercedes-AMG hypercar?

FSW: 10 years after the 918, if AMG’s doing a supercar, I’m relaxed. They are all talking about hybrids…fine. I am a little bit too much an engineer; if I see a fancy hypercar with super aerodynamics, 23-inch wheels, a 6,000-horsepower engine with six turbos, whatever…hot air. The Porsche way is if you do a show car, it’s proof that it can work. If we show a show car, normally we make a decision to make the street car.

AM: It’s clear motorsports holds a lot of engineering sway at Porsche. How involved in product development is Porsche’s motorsports branch?

FSW: For sure, I’m in the committees that decide the product decisions. There’s a lot of exchange. It’s not that we do the work or the others do our work, but there’s a lot of exchange. There’s an ongoing discussion all the time. Talking with the colleagues and traveling together and test driving together. It’s always a discussion. “How would you do this?” “Do you think your brakes are okay?” “Don’t you think it’s overdone on the brakes?” I prefer it more like this. I think this just shows the interest of people. If I talk to the guy who’s responsible for the Macan, it’s the same enthusiasm as if he’s running a GT3 as the guy who’s responsible for the Panamera and vice versa. If the 911 development is something a little bit more sporty, for sure we look at what [product development is] doing and say, “Hey, that’s very close to our car.” We have to stretch a little bit and bring it more to the limit and make it even better.

AM: Will motorsports always be an essential piece of Porsche’s business plan?

FSW: We had periods when it was not so important, when the company really had to focus on other products to grow, like the Cayenne. When we said, “OK, this is now for the company more important than motorsports,” but we never stopped, never had the situation where no motorsports were done. Maybe a project was not continued, but not “no motorsports.” And over the last 5 years I think we’ve tremendously grown with the LP1 program and all of our customer racing activities, offering more cars, selling more cars than ever, having a variety of 4 GT cars available now, is really, really cool. For sure there’s an ongoing discussion within the group board members to say what motorsports [we do], which brand is doing what. I think Porsche has a very good standing there. I would say our financial figures are OK…more than OK. If you have to decide which brand is racing, nobody would ever say Porsche is not racing, because who else? With this heritage, with this product portfolio, with this strong link to racing, it’s never doubted.

AM: Where do you see Porsche’s motorsport presence growing stronger? All-electric racing now that you’re building the Mission E?

FSW: We’re not saying a cup race is always based on a combustion engine. It could also be done with an electric motor. Why not? It’s just being open, taking everything that is going on in the company, and having a detailed look at the technology. They’re using new cells for the battery. That’s always interesting. Maybe we can use it in a race car. Definitely the electric drivetrain is an extremely interesting part. It opens you to the possibility of not only doing a full electric car but also a hybrid car, because it’s the same electric motor. Why not?

AM: Do people constantly ask you when you’ll do another 918 Spyder?

FSW: When the 918 project ended, people asked me what is the next car? What will change? I was like, “Nothing, because everything is right with the car”, and maybe it was a bit of a strong statement, but there was no technology on the horizon to say, “OK, we can improve the car tremendously.” We can make everything a little bit better, for sure, but not for a big step. At the moment, as long as we don’t have a technology that makes a big step, there is no need to make a car that is only a little bit better. It must be mind-blowing again.

AM: So that step isn’t yet here?

FSW: No. I can’t see it, but I know electric development and development of batteries and electric motors will bring it, but it’s too early at the moment. Only three years have gone [since the 918 Spyder]. Give us another 5-6 years and then we’ll see. We launched the Carrera GT in 2003, and then 4 years later there was a small team sitting together saying, “OK how will the next Carerra GT look like?” It was a downsizing concept, less fuel consumption, but there was no technology really on the cutting edge. Everything was really, really good, but at the end of the day we said, “Yeah, but it’s not this breakthrough technology.” Just 3 years later [the technological landscape] looked completely different with the introduction of the hybrid. We see some developments and some things are coming, but it’s too early to say what.

|AUTOMOBILE

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM