Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

How do you use yours!

Just sat at work thinking about my baby and how Ive not been able to spend time with her all week again! and I was wondering if I was the only one and how other guys were using their boxsters???

I'm definatly a weekend driver. During the week, the car is very rarely used and just sits there quietly waiting! Living in London and working in the city is not a good recipe for daily driving. Too expensive to park, too much traffic and too many idiots on scooters ready to scratch my baby!
    So the only time I take her for a spin is usually on a weekend morning out in the countryside. Get up early, get out of London, hit the twisties and have some fun!!!!!

Also put in a track day since getting it and next week I'm taking it to Santa Pod drag strip to chuck up the qtr mile!!!! Not really a Boxster scene this one but should be a laugh!!! (Assuming I dont waste the clutch!!!!)

Main point for posting this I suppose, is because I use the car so little that, "doing the sensible thing" and getting rid of it is always in the back of my mind!!!

But then saturday morning comes and its just me and my baby again!!!!!

So how do you use yours then?

Re: How do you use yours!

Daily driver.. commuting and shopping during the week and occasional fun drives through the countryside on weekends. I live and work in London but have dedicated offstreet parking both at home and at work. Winter is coming and I'm trying to get through it without winter tires.. that's gonna be interesting.

Sorry to change the subject, but im quite a new boxster driver.

What are winter tyres, do I need to change them or something??

Many thanks
    Russ

Winter or snow tires are useful during the cold months. They have a different profile and rubber mixture. Common misperception is that they are only needed in arctic winters with lots of snow. In reality, they also provide much better grip in rain and on dry roads at temperatures under 7 deg C, plus have reduced wear under winter conditions. Those tires are very common on the continent (Germany), but not exactly widely used in the UK. If I could afford a set and knew where to store my summer/allyear tires, I would go for it.

On previous cars, I used to have snow tires mounted in November and changed back in March.

Rich, you echo my thoughts! My car is my "sunny days and Sunday" car - mine has not been out since the Rennteam Weekend Meet of a couple of weeks ago. It's sat in the garage depreciating at the rate of Pounds500/month. I've also thought of selling and I've decided to keep the car until March and then review it on 6 months intervals.

Ouch!! Dont remind what its costing me!!!! You'll bring out the dreaded sensible side!!!!

Bad thing is that I reckon I'll use it even less during the winter....

Who knows what I'll do, hopefully I'll persuade myself to keep her... Thing is I know If I did get rid it would not be long until I was back in a showroom buying something else!

I know, I know! The main thoughts that stop me selling, after such a short time is that I find it a tonic, after a s****y week, like this week has been, (reflected by my latest Avatar ) to get the car out, drop the roof and go for a blast. Also, you've worked hard to be able to afford such a delightful toy, and in my own case, when I do eventually sell it, it is very unlikely I could ever justify doing it again.

Do you think Deprocoatioon willbalance out on these soon, like the old 80's 911's have stabilised at arounf Pounds13K - Pounds15K

Quote:
    RascalRuss said:
    Do you think Deprocoatioon willbalance out on these soon, like the old 80's 911's have stabilised at arounf Pounds13K - Pounds15K

I would think the older the car becomes the less depreciation becomes an issue, as soon as you drive your new car off the forecourt at a minimum you lose a most of the VAT element on your purchase, together with, I would guess, at least 50% of the cost of the options you've put on.

My girlfriend rests during the week, and I work her hard during the weekends (if there is less than 30% chance of precipitation forecasted).

Boxsters are mass produced. I would not count on depreciation balancing out much. Don't think about the money you spend on a mass produced car or a computer, especially if you want to use it... best to consider the fee flushed down the toilet and enjoy the ride.

I use mine daily and have racked up 1200 miles per month.

My personal veiw is that Pounds600 amonth is alot to spend on a car which is used at the weekend.

I thought Golf Gti for the week and an Elise for the weekend. Then I thought two cars, insurance servicing, parking ect.

The Boxster is a perfect solution.

I got my 987 back after some work which took a week and was lent a 986 2.7........wow have things moved on or what..I was pleasantly surprised by the power but the interior...yuck!

Got back in mine last night and Pounds600 per month is a small price to pay as far as I am concerned.

Funny looking back over my time on the Forum.....it was "6 weeks to go..can't wait.." etc etc...now it's "Pounds500...can't justify...might sell....."

DONT PLAY INTO THE HANDS OF THE DEALERS!!! "...mmmm 2nd hand 987.......not much demand at the moment...blah blah!!!

KEEP IT AND ENJOY IT!!!

Quote:
    newboxster said:

Funny looking back over my time on the Forum.....it was "6 weeks to go..can't wait.." etc etc...now it's "Pounds500...can't justify...might sell....."

It seems like a lifetime ago, doesn't it? In my case, over a year before the car was launched, badgering the dealer "what do you know" answer "only what you've read" to placing a letter of intent, (wouldn't accept a deposit for a car that officially didn't exist), to receiving a letter saying that I could place a deposit - excitement mounting it IS going to happen, then in September speccing the car based on the 986 spec and the 997 option list; then firming up after the car was announced, agonising over colour (arctic or seal?) selling the dealer our BMW 328i touring, arguing over the value saying I needed as much as I could get so I could have the 19" wheels, changing the options so many times the ever tolerant but enthusiastic salesman (Julian Esposti at Porsche Centre Bournemouth) = excellent (although Rich C might have a different view about the dealer)! must have got fed up with me. (PASM on, then PASM off then PASM back on again. Sport chrono on then off. Telephone module for PCM on, then off. Park assist on then drat! too late to change spec) - much to relief of salesman I'm sure! Even thought seriously about changing the colour having seen midnight blue / sand beige on the launch night. Then, in Feb, Rich C went down to see his car and told me that if my car had a certain plate it was there (it WAS mine!) the anticipation of collection day, and driving off not really believing it was MY car! Appreciating this was by some considerable number of light years the best car I'd EVER owned. And then to even seriously contemplate selling after only 6 months! Not likely! Now anticipating, job permitting, a blast in Germany to see my step-daughter in law in the spring, a two week holiday in the South of France in September! Now THAT'S what it will be all about!

Everyday to work, and at the weekend... Living in Northern California has its benefits

Thanks!

Shash

I'm using mine just about every single day around the year.
    I bought it thinking that it probably wouldn't rack up a lot of Kms, and that I would use it as my second car. Hmmm...My "main" car has basically been standing still ever since I got the Boxster, and an amazing indian summer and now very warm and sunny fall has made the choice of cars each morning an easy one.
    Girlie doesn't like driving the Boxey (I guess wifes generally don't like mistresses...hehe) so I'm forced to take it so she can use the other car. Poor, poor me

I have been to Italy in it and am going to track it for the second time this sunday.
    Come winter it will definately be used a lot less - simply because it's too lame to have two cars and not use the more economical one for everyday A to B transportation and commuting.

I don't see the point of being rational about owning a Boxster in any shape or form. That goes for the financial aspect as well.
    Sure, it can be a good investment of you dont buy a new one and sell it too soon, or get a used one at a fair price, but other than that it represents everything that makes no sense.

2-seater, too expensive, impractical, anything but anonymous, can be bad for business (too flashy), "you must be impotent", etc etc.

But ask yourself why on earth you own one in the first place, and then ask yourself how many lives you think you have.

If being rational turned your life into a party, I'm sure a lot more people would get into accounting.

Besides, 600Pounds a month?? Man!
    I think that's what we pay for a regular family car in Denmark. A new 987 would probably run you 1500-2000Pounds
    You guys have NO clue how fortunate you are to be driving a Porsche for that kinda money.

I drive my Boxster everywhere I can. I commute to work in it, rent movies in it, get groceries in it, visit family and friends in it and let my friends drive it around too. So far it is the perfect car for my 2 person family. It gets reasonable gas mileage, is fun on curvy roads, is stylish without being extravagant and since we never have snow in Houston, is a 12 month per year vehicle. While it's more than I've ever spent on a car before, the satisfaction I get driving it makes it worth every cent. Since I work a LOT of hours, finding ways to enjoy the mundane things I have to do everyday (commuting) makes a BIG difference in how my week goes. The Boxster makes me look forward to every trip I must make, no matter where I'm going or how brief it may be. For me, enjoying my life every day to the full is far more important than (almost) any amount of money. So the Boxster is going to stay until I find something more entertaining to replace it (is that even possible? )

Rich and Dream, I hope you guys keep those good times in mind when you start thinking about selling...it's easy to underestimate the value of happiness, even if it is only for a few hours a week!

mcdelaug

Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:
    My girlfriend rests during the week, and I work her hard during the weekends (if there is less than 30% chance of precipitation forecasted).

What about your Porsche?

Quote:
    mcdelaug said:
    Rich and Dream, I hope you guys keep those good times in mind when you start thinking about selling...it's easy to underestimate the value of happiness, even if it is only for a few hours a week!
    mcdelaug

That's good advice and what I try to do when the mood swings the wrong way

Quote:
    mcdelaug said:Since I work a LOT of hours, finding ways to enjoy the mundane things I have to do everyday (commuting) makes a BIG difference in how my week goes.

Couldn't agree more. I often had a long (1.5 to 2.5 hour each way) commute, so a large proportion of my day was spent in the car. I rationalised that I might as well be driving the car I'd been lusting after for years, rather than an old Golf.

So now the Boxster is my everyday car. Typically, my job (which is always variable) doesn't involve a long commute at the moment!

Obviously, the best sort of commuter vehicle from a cost point of view is a diesel hatch like RichC has got. But if you compare the Boxster to a BMW 5 Series or something... Why do you need something bigger if you're just carting you and a briefcase/laptop around most of the time?

And it does admirably for day-to-day chores too. It's surprising what will fit in the two trunks.

As you say, what price happiness?

(Whether you can BUY happiness is a different matter entirely!)

Quote:
    RichJ said:
    Main point for posting this I suppose, is because I use the car so little that, "doing the sensible thing" and getting rid of it is always in the back of my mind!!!

Thats ONE of the reasons I cancelled my 997S order , I felt that just weekend drives were not enough when taking into consideration my busy lifestyle which will be for the next 12 months , its just priorities I suppose ..

I dont care what anyone says if your not using your car it does take the shine off ownership , all cars lets face are there to be used and driven no matter how well off you are..

JMO..

throt..

Quote:
    LowPolarMoment said:
    Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:

What about your Porsche?

I was talking about my Porsche

Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:
    Quote:
    LowPolarMoment said:What about your Porsche?

Careful aj - that exhaust pipe gets hot

Quote:
    wtsnet said:
    Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:
    Quote:
    LowPolarMoment said:What about your Porsche?

Careful aj - that exhaust pipe gets hot

On tickover it tickles..

throt

Quote:
    throt said:
    I dont care what anyone says if your not using your car it does take the shine off ownership , all cars lets face are there to be used and driven no matter how well off you are..

JMO..

throt..

Not sure I totally agree with that - my daily drive is a Ford Focus Diesel - you can imagine how special the Boxster feels when I get to drive it. Maybe I wouldn't appreciate the Boxster quite as much if it I drove it all the time

Well its the weekend again, and Ive had a chance to blat my baby around the countryside for a few hours again and as expected its love again!!!

In fact today was a great day, took my buddys little 5 year old for a spin with the roof down and she loved it, faster faster she was shouting whilst she was checking the mirrors for the cops!!!! Good kid! Obviously I didnt actually nail it, just left it in gear so it made that sound!

Great car and I cant dream of selling it again!!! Amazin the difference a few days makes!!! No doubt I'll change my mind again after a few days of non-usage!!!

Stupid I suppose...

Some good points made though, the whole point of these cars is pure selfish pleasure! Completly impractical, silly but thats I love them..

Just great toys!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    762005 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435135 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260389 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257471 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80907 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5318 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872001 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    807355 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM