Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Carrera S without Sport Chrono

I am sure that the Sport Chrono will to a certain extent enhance the driving pleasure. However, please correct me if my understanding is wrong. The car is basically the same car with 355hp. The Sport Chrono just make the throttle response a bit more sensitive (and the suspension a bit firmer), right? so without it, the car should still runs the same way (except one may have to push the gas pedal a bit further down and change the setting of the PASM to sport)? Do you agree?

Quote:
    superfans said:
    I am sure that the Sport Chrono will to a certain extent enhance the driving pleasure. However, please correct me if my understanding is wrong. The car is basically the same car with 355hp. The Sport Chrono just make the throttle response a bit more sensitive (and the suspension a bit firmer), right? so without it, the car should still runs the same way (except one may have to push the gas pedal a bit further down and change the setting of the PASM to sport)? Do you agree?

Not entirely.

The change in throttle response with Sport Chrono on makes about as much performance difference as the sport shifter. I've heard many praises about the shifter option. And although peak HP may not change, average HP through each gear does with an increased redline. Right? 4.6xx sec.? Now take a TIP for instance... Shift points are delayed with this thing on. I know that's only if you're not using those thumbs but in regular auto mode, you'll be quicker to any speed over about 40 mph.

jjr1,

Isn't it a claimed engine remap which includes enhanced throttle response? I don't think any of us <on this thread> know everything it does to the engine. There are many ways of increasing the engine's performance without increasing the peak HP.

ps -Being Friday, I'm not sure what fraction of my logic was used to arrive at this post.

Maybe another way of putting it is to say that the sport chrono mode gives the car a different character at the push of a button. You might like to call it a heightened throttle twitchiness...as Jeremy Clarkson says it's like buying 2 cars for the price of one.

For Dillinger,
    I agree partially with your commment.
    The point is not to debate whether one person has done the right thing or not, the point is that the people like me who don't like the sport chrono or the pasm or other electronic gismos like that they actually do not like the direction that Porsche has teken lately.
    Too many silver cars with too much electronics in it.
    Remember the good old yellow, orange, green P.cars of the beginning?
    Ciao!
    Silvio

Gentlemen,

Can the Sport Chrono debate be summed as follows?

If the stopwatch were GONE the ONLY reason NOT to get the option would be to save us$850. Face it: we're all gadget and car freaks so having a "secret" button somewhere which makes the car behave differently in many "cool" ways is exactly what would please each and every one of us.

Having the direct throttle response of the sport chrono is great because when off it's perfect for my wife to drive. The throttle sensitivity is very noticeable. It's value is exactly like a sport shifter. Like a sport shifter there's less travel for the same result. It's worth it for that alone but throw in the added 200rpms and the suspension setting and it's a no brainer. I happen to be the only person who really likes the look of the clock, reminds me of the gauges I used to have on the dash of my muscle cars. And I use it at least once or twice a month. To answer your question I think it's an important option to have for resale. In a pre-owned Porsche anything that in the slightest way has something to do with added performance that cannot be retrofitted adds to it's attractiveness.

Quote:
    jjr1 said:
    I only belittle those stupid enough to think that because it improves throttle reponse it would make the car quicker? If that person used just a fraction of the logic they must surely have (ie clever enough to afford the car in the first place) then they would see what a ridiculous claim that is.

Does anyone seriously think that on a track for example that with 'sport' engaged because the throttle does not have to travel so far for a given increase in revs the car will be quicker? If so you clearly know nothing about driving !

You might be wrong but who will ever know.
    I mean there is a very, very small fraction of time between the time it takes to put the full amount of gas into the engine with the increased throttle response vs. a standard car without sport chrono. Must be a fraction of a second but say the driver with sport chrono needs 50% throttle and his foot has to travel X inches. The driver without sport chrono has to move his throttle foot X inches plus another what 20% more/further ? That's exactly what the throttle response on a sport chrono car does. You throttle foot travels less distance for the same amount of fuel. Would it amount to anything on a track ? I doubt it but if anything it could help.

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    "Sport button" on is what I use everytime I drive my 997S, which is everyday. Look at it from another point of view: would you rather have normal mode modulated such that the throttle response is retarded even more? It would require more effort on your foot to get the same response, of course. Imagine how that feels in a high-performance car.

I agree that the whole thing is a gimmick, but it is the setting I prefer (sport button on) because it gives you more immediate feedback. After getting use to "sport button" on, having it off reminds me of driving one of those old Mercedes 560SL's my ex-girlfriend use to have. It felt sluggish, even though I knew it had power.

I like it because it transforms the feel AND the sound of my car because I have PSE attached to it. I often drive a co-worker to the office when I do I leave the sport chrono off and PSE off. After driving the car like that for a while, when I'm driving alone I switch it on and the car takes on a whole nother personality. I also have my adaptive sport seats set so that I hit position #1 and the side bolsters get tigther. Is it quicker ? No but it definatly feels more lively, more responsive. Isn't that a good thing ? Hit that one button after driving with it off for a while and the car feels and sounds like a different animal. For anyone that's thinking about this option just drive a car with it and switch back and forth between sport. It's not subtle at all.

I even have my adaptive sport seats set so that when I hit the sport button I also hit position #1 and the side bolsters get tigther. Any option that is able to change the feel of the vehicle that much is well worth the price of sport chrono.

Yeah... so you get more leg room with it off.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Having the direct throttle response of the sport chrono is great because when off it's perfect for my wife to drive. The throttle sensitivity is very noticeable. It's value is exactly like a sport shifter. Like a sport shifter there's less travel for the same result. It's worth it for that alone but throw in the added 200rpms and the suspension setting and it's a no brainer. I happen to be the only person who really likes the look of the clock, reminds me of the gauges I used to have on the dash of my muscle cars. And I use it at least once or twice a month. To answer your question I think it's an important option to have for resale. In a pre-owned Porsche anything that in the slightest way has something to do with added performance that cannot be retrofitted adds to it's attractiveness.

Ok, I'll come out of the closet too. I actually don't mind the stopwatch.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:

...I switch it on and the car takes on a whole nother personality.

Is it quicker ? No but it definatly feels more lively, more responsive. Isn't that a good thing ? Hit that one button after driving with it off for a while and the car feels and sounds like a different animal.

Well put. Pressing that button transforms the car into a 'different animal' with a different personality. I like that!

...basically it improves the "PAR" of the car, the "Performance Appearance Ratio"

SPORT CHRONO, IS THE ONLY OPTION THAT SHOULD NOT BE DEBATED.

its so cheap, and guys dont get upset!!!

Doesnt matter that you DIDNT get it in you 997, you l get it in your next porsche.......

and as MMD said a "secret button" is welcome from most of us..

now go sleep and DREAM that you had opted for sport chrono !!!!!!!

SPORT CHRONO: THE BEST OPTION THAT SOME PEOPLE FORGOT TO GIVE MUCH CREDIT!!!!

PS: AND NOW THEY ARE MAD ABOUT IT !!

Couldn't give 2 hoots about it. It does nothing valuable and won't be missed by me nor will it be specced in my next car. It is the Emperors new clothes of the car world

I had my chrono watch replaced under warranty. It died in California heat this summer. Guess what that watch portion costs $650. I think that it too much but for ones like it so much, should get both Black and Silver versions. It is clip on so changeable for your mood of the day. lol

oh one more thing. You can get Boxster versions too. it's got different arabic numerals for younger feelings. P- should charge a lot for this feelings.

Quote:
    tori said:
    oh one more thing. You can get Boxster versions too. it's got different arabic numerals for younger feelings. P- should charge a lot for this feelings.

For us older drivers, they should offer Roman numerals....

Quote:
    964C2 said:
    Quote:
    tori said:

The decline and fall of the Roman Empire happened about 1500 years ago, so just how old are you?

Something like this, i'll get it installed immediately:

It will fit in the same place, and it loves the sun, can't break down...

Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    964C2 said:
    Quote:
    tori said:

The decline and fall of the Roman Empire happened about 1500 years ago, so just how old are you?

LIX

I love the Sport chrono gauge too

Quote:
    jjr1 said:
    Couldn't give 2 hoots about it. It does nothing valuable and won't be missed by me nor will it be specced in my next car. It is the Emperors new clothes of the car world

Good for you.

Porsche didn't design a feature that only changed the relation of pedal position to throttle valve position. It appears that you know very little about this option.

By the way, I only belittle those stupid enough to think that it takes logic to be clever enough to afford the car in the first place.

GA GA easy easy .

This is not the first time I have seen ol jjr1 speak strongly against Chrono ..

Its not for im innit .. ..

throt..

Quote:
    throt said:
    GA GA easy easy .

throt..

Hey throt

But it influences what people may or may not order.

My first impression was the same... "It only helps Tiptronic" "waste of $" I didn't want it until it was too late to change my order.

Just trying to correct a false statement... not trying to change a different opinion.

Quote:
    GA5656 said:
    Quote:
    throt said:
    GA GA easy easy .

throt..

Hey throt

But it influences what people may or may not order.

My first impression was the same... "It only helps Tiptronic" "waste of $" I didn't want it until it was too late to change my order.

Just trying to correct a false statement... not trying to change a different opinion.

Hi Bud ,,

Yes , for the price of it it was a yes for me and the same said from the large majority ..

throt..

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689549 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409227 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255735 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234990 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65524 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4646 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857969 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774025 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM