Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayman Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

November Road & Track tests Cayman S

R&T quote...."Imagine combining the fluidity of the Boxster S and the sharpness of the 911's turn-in, and what you have is an agile and responsive sports car......with the same HP it could easily outpace the Carrera"
    0-60MPH in 4.8 seconds, 0-100MPH in 11.7 seconds, 1/4 mile in 13.3 @ 106.2MPH

Re: November Road & Track tests Cayman S

My copy didn't arrive yet. What was the slalom speed?

Quote:
    LowPolarMoment said:

Outstanding....71.7MPH

Im happy to see the excellent numbers from R&T. Usually they dont hammer the cars and get the slowest numbers of all the magazine tests.

That quarter mile time is scorchin! What did they get for a 0-120 mph time?

Quote:
    964C2 said:
    Quote:
    LowPolarMoment said:

Outstanding....71.7MPH

Well, it ties the 997S but loses to the Lotus Elise, the Enzo and the Boxster S (which did 73.9mph). The Boxster S beat the Cayman S on the skid pad also 1.00g vs .96g. I'm surprised by those numbers. I expected it would beat the Boxster S. Apparently, it ran 0-60 in 4.8 vs 987S 5.0 and did the 1/4 mile in 13.3 vs 13.4 for the 987S. I love the looks of the Cayman but I think I'd rather be able to put the top down and save the $5k if that's all the difference between them.

Quote:
    LowPolarMoment said:
    Quote:
    964C2 said:
    Quote:
    LowPolarMoment said:

Outstanding....71.7MPH

Well, it ties the 997S but loses to the Lotus Elise, the Enzo and the Boxster S (which did 73.9mph). The Boxster S beat the Cayman S on the skid pad also 1.00g vs .96g. I'm surprised by those numbers. I expected it would beat the Boxster S. Apparently, it ran 0-60 in 4.8 vs 987S 5.0 and did the 1/4 mile in 13.3 vs 13.4 for the 987S. I love the looks of the Cayman but I think I'd rather be able to put the top down and save the $5k if that's all the difference between them.

Ummm...would'nt worrry about what the magazines get, it depends on the day the driver the everything. I really don't thing a boxster could in any way outhandle a cayman. Hoepfully someone will do a side by side test, then its a proper scientific experiement.

Your point is well taken. They always publish the temperature, humidity, wind speed and elevation but it's hard to factor in any differences. I always prefer when they do a comparison test between a bunch of cars at the same place on the same day.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Im happy to see the excellent numbers from R&T. Usually they dont hammer the cars and get the slowest numbers of all the magazine tests.

That quarter mile time is scorchin! What did they get for a 0-120 mph time?

They didn't show a 0-120MPH time....

Those are very impressive performance figures. I'm sure we'll see even better times from other magazines.

On the same day with equal drivers, I'm sure difference in the Cayman's performance compared to the Boxster S would be much more noticeable.

What wheels was the Cayman test car sitting on, the standard 18'' or optional 19''? Also, does it say anything about the tyres? If I remember correctly, when R&T tested the Boxster S it was equipped with the 19'' Carrera S wheels. That could be the reason why the Boxster S outperformed the Cayman in the slalom and skidpad...

Quote:
    JohnJohn said:
    What wheels was the Cayman test car sitting on, the standard 18'' or optional 19''? Also, does it say anything about the tyres? If I remember correctly, when R&T tested the Boxster S it was equipped with the 19'' Carrera S wheels. That could be the reason why the Boxster S outperformed the Cayman in the slalom and skidpad...

I just checked and I did remember correctly. And the rubber sitting on those 19'' wheels was Michelin Pilot Sport - if not the best, one of the absolute best tyres you can get without getting R-tyres.

Quote:
    JohnJohn said:

The R&T test car had PASM, PCCB and Sport Chrono...the wheels were the standard 18" and tires were Michelin Pilot Sport.

Quote:
    964C2 said:
    Quote:
    JohnJohn said:

The R&T test car had PASM, PCCB and Sport Chrono...the wheels were the standard 18" and tires were Michelin Pilot Sport.

Interesting that Porsche supplied the magazine with a car wearing 18's. The Boxster S they tested definitely had 19's and PASM. If that's the reason the Boxster S performed better than the Cayman S, it ought to answer a lot of questions around here about which size wheels to get!

Quote:
    LowPolarMoment said:
    Quote:
    964C2 said:
    Quote:
    JohnJohn said:

Interesting that Porsche supplied the magazine with a car wearing 18's. The Boxster S they tested definitely had 19's and PASM. If that's the reason the Boxster S performed better than the Cayman S, it ought to answer a lot of questions around here about which size wheels to get!

Not really. Ture, I believe the absolute best numbers were created on 19" wheels.....but a lot of people still prefer the feel of the 18"s including many Porsche test drivers.

There are just way too many people out there that go by the numbers too much.....if 19"s supposedly make the car a few seconds faster they have to have it.....even if they couldn't drive close to the limits of the 18" wheels. It's kind of like strange bragging rights....."Dude...I have the same wheels Walter Rohrl posted his best times with!"

I've seen Boxster drivers with 16" wheels drive the pants off owners with 19"s. For most, the $2k for 19"s would be better off spent on driver education.

I firmly believe that any version of the Cayman S put up against the same version of the Boxster S on the same track, under the same conditions, driven by the same driver, would post the same or most likely better numbers.

Is that because you own a Boxster S?

Quote:
    toplad said:
    Is that because you own a Boxster S?

Read carefully, then post.

Quote:
    MikeN said:
    Quote:
    LowPolarMoment said:
    Quote:
    964C2 said:
    Quote:
    JohnJohn said:

Not really. Ture, I believe the absolute best numbers were created on 19" wheels.....but a lot of people still prefer the feel of the 18"s including many Porsche test drivers.

There are just way too many people out there that go by the numbers too much.....if 19"s supposedly make the car a few seconds faster they have to have it.....even if they couldn't drive close to the limits of the 18" wheels. It's kind of like strange bragging rights....."Dude...I have the same wheels Walter Rohrl posted his best times with!"

I've seen Boxster drivers with 16" wheels drive the pants off owners with 19"s. For most, the $2k for 19"s would be better off spent on driver education.

I firmly believe that any version of the Cayman S put up against the same version of the Boxster S on the same track, under the same conditions, driven by the same driver, would post the same or most likely better numbers.

Well, Mike, that's what I was getting at. I agree completely with you. With the same wheels, tyres, driver, conditions etc, I believe the Cayman S would post the same or better numbers than the Boxster S.

I was surprised when I learned that the Boxster S had outperformed the Cayman S in a couple of disciplines. I immediately thought it might have something to do with wheel size and tyres. I just wanted to get a confirmation on that.

Personally I couldn't care less if my Boxster would be two seconds faster around a track with 19s instead of 18s. I prefer the 18s, but that's because the ride quality is better overall and it's easier to explore the car's limits with the smaller wheel size. If I wanted to post faster laptimes I'd spend my money on some R-tyres, that would make much more difference.

The mailman must have stolen my November Road&Track! But my son's Car&Driver came today. C&D also tested a Cayman this month though their tests are not as wide ranging as the tests done by R&T. C&D only got the Cayman from 0-60mph in 5.1, 3/10ths slower than Road & Track. If I remember correctly, C&D recorded 5.1 seconds for the Boxster S too. Let me read a sentence near the end: "Sorry, Porsche, we still don't see much reason to pick the Cayman over the open air Boxster-that is, unless you love the Cayman's shape or need more cargo space or you just want to save a bundle over the faster but no more thrilling 911".

Quote:
    LowPolarMoment said:
    The mailman must have stolen my November Road&Track! But my son's Car&Driver came today. C&D also tested a Cayman this month though their tests are not as wide ranging as the tests done by R&T. C&D only got the Cayman from 0-60mph in 5.1, 3/10ths slower than Road & Track. If I remember correctly, C&D recorded 5.1 seconds for the Boxster S too. Let me read a sentence near the end: "Sorry, Porsche, we still don't see much reason to pick the Cayman over the open air Boxster-that is, unless you love the Cayman's shape or need more cargo space or you just want to save a bundle over the faster but no more thrilling 911".

Of all the reviews that are out now on the Cayman, this is the only one that isn't glowing towards it. Not that I'm looking for every writer to be a "yes man", but this is the only magazine that just couldn't see the light IMO.

It's about time that somebody wrote a more muted review. The typical "why 911" hyperbole was getting tired. I still can't understand the debate about this car. It's a very nicely done closed coupe interpretation of the 98x mid-engine chasis with power commensurate to the position Porsche envisions for its models. The performance is entirely consistent (and predictable) based on the Boxster's well known dynamics, which itself would be a challenge to the 911 (or any other sports car) given sufficient motive force. If a Boxster or a 911 is your preference you shouldn't lose any sleep if others prefer the Cayman. I would not hold my breath waiting for an RS/CS or any other uber-Cayman unless Porsche decides to race the car since it makes no financial or marketing sense to do so. Otherwise, I think the Cayman is a welcome addition to the Porsche family.

Quote:
    DaveC said:
    It's about time that somebody wrote a more muted review. The typical "why 911" hyperbole was getting tired. I still can't understand the debate about this car. It's a very nicely done closed coupe interpretation of the 98x mid-engine chasis with power commensurate to the position Porsche envisions for its models. The performance is entirely consistent (and predictable) based on the Boxster's well known dynamics, which itself would be a challenge to the 911 (or any other sports car) given sufficient motive force. If a Boxster or a 911 is your preference you shouldn't lose any sleep if others prefer the Cayman. I would not hold my breath waiting for an RS/CS or any other uber-Cayman unless Porsche decides to race the car since it makes no financial or marketing sense to do so. Otherwise, I think the Cayman is a welcome addition to the Porsche family.

Well said

Quote:
    MikeN said:
    Quote:
    LowPolarMoment said:

Of all the reviews that are out now on the Cayman, this is the only one that isn't glowing towards it. Not that I'm looking for every writer to be a "yes man", but this is the only magazine that just couldn't see the light IMO.

Please keep in mind that Porsche has a ton of advertising dollars to spend. Their 2005 sales figures are not that great and most if not all the magazines are chasing those advertising dollars. Most will not pan any Porsche regardless of their findings.

This is not to say that the Cayman is not a worthy car. I am sure it is and more than likely the replacement for the aged 911.

Nick. I hope they quintiple their US advertising budget. Let some of that sport chrono money come back to the US.

So far I havent seen any numbers that the Cayman really performs much better than a Boxster S. Those tested with PCCB and the latest Michelin tires have better "turn in." No miracle there,just less unsprung weight because of another $8800 option called PCCB.

The Cayman S driven by Rohrl had 19 inch wheels,PASM,Sport Chrono and PCCB, All Options. It lapped the 'Ring a few seconds quicker than a Unwalter Rohrl driven standard Carrera on 18's.

Still think the Cayman S is a good deal??

Add up the options on Rohrls Ring lapper Cayman and voila! You are at the base price of a Carrera S! And that will lap the ring faster than a "Rohrl" optioned Cayman S.

They should have released the Cayman on April 1.
    Its a real hose job.

uh, yeah, OK. It's a conspiracy, a "real hose job". Every writer is in on it. Buyers are just stupid. Yeah, that's it. And Kerry could have stopped hurricane Katrina.

I'm reminded of an old saying that the camel doesn't see its own hump, which aptly describes some 911 enthusiasts' criticisms of the 911's siblings.

>>> Cayman articles <<<
    Incl. R&T - Cayman S Full Test

Quote:
    mark34 said:
    uh, yeah, OK. It's a conspiracy, a "real hose job". Every writer is in on it. Buyers are just stupid. Yeah, that's it. And Kerry could have stopped hurricane Katrina.

LOL.....The Cayman is all Bush's fault!

I think that Porsche should go the route that Mercedes has gone, which is to offer every engine in every model, it really doesn't cost more and you defintely keep the competition and tuners out. And so what, Porsche can make even more money. Give the people what they want. If they don't want it cancel it after the fact. Mercedes sells the 55 (476hp) motor in the E S SL CLS CL and even the G. So what if only 10 people buy the G55 but it might keep a driver in the fold. Mercedes got over the notion that the most expensive class only gets the high output engine along time ago. Porsche should learn something from this, if someone wants to put the GT3 motor into a Cayman or even Boxster and pay an extra $30000, why not? It is not like they are losing money on it and if they were concerned about having an expensive boxster, they don't seem to care about that either as they offer paint/leather to sample on those models as well.

Quote:
    AJ said:
    I think that Porsche should go the route that Mercedes has gone, which is to offer every engine in every model, it really doesn't cost more and you defintely keep the competition and tuners out. And so what, Porsche can make even more money. Give the people what they want. If they don't want it cancel it after the fact. Mercedes sells the 55 (476hp) motor in the E S SL CLS CL and even the G. So what if only 10 people buy the G55 but it might keep a driver in the fold. Mercedes got over the notion that the most expensive class only gets the high output engine along time ago. Porsche should learn something from this, if someone wants to put the GT3 motor into a Cayman or even Boxster and pay an extra $30000, why not? It is not like they are losing money on it and if they were concerned about having an expensive boxster, they don't seem to care about that either as they offer paint/leather to sample on those models as well.

Agreed. I've brought this up before.

Quote:
    AJ said:

I agree.

Comrade James, Porsche is using the cayman to test the waters for a future 911 midengine car. They could not come out with a Cayman powered to beat their beloved 911. For now you do not eat your own. You wait until it dies.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM