Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

How regularly do you have to wash your car?

My 997 is less than a week old, and has soot on the rear bumper and brake dust on the alloys, etc. My concern is damage to paint work/alloys, but how long can I leave this stuff on the car before I need to wash it off? Do I have to wash the car everytime I take it out for a long drive and it gets covered with dirt/dust (but not bugs)?!

Thanks

Re: How regularly do you have to wash your car?

No. Once every couple of weeks or so should be fine. It's a personal choice.

Thanks SrfCity - was begining to get stressed about having to wash that car too often!

Quote:
    SrfCity said:
    No. Once every couple of weeks or so should be fine. It's a personal choice.

I try and wash it every week, two weeks at the max. Of course if you haven't used the car, then you won't have to wash it....

Quote:
    eddie said:
    My 997 is less than a week old, and has soot on the rear bumper and brake dust on the alloys, etc. My concern is damage to paint work/alloys, but how long can I leave this stuff on the car before I need to wash it off? Do I have to wash the car everytime I take it out for a long drive and it gets covered with dirt/dust (but not bugs)?!

Thanks

I wash mine usually once a week (sometimes the weather determines the schedule-I try to avoid washing on or before rainy days (Duh)-obviously sometimes quite hard to predict! ). I also use a simple rub-on wax that works well once every week or two-some say this is overkill, but I notice the aesthetic difference when not done regularly.

The only major risk to your paint finish from the grime not being cleaned off regularly, I believe, would be if you or others took a dry cloth and "sandpapered" the grime into the finish. Perhaps the Boss-man or Stradale could jump in here, they are the Board's car-cleaning guru's.

Quote:
    eddie said:

Thanks

Dust and dirt will not hurt the paint as long as the paint is wax protected. Washing frequency is really a personal preference but I wouldn't leave the brake dust on too long. If left on a long time it becomes very difficult to remove from the wheels. The high heat can bake the brake dust into the finish if left on long enough. Even after a week or so it becomes harder to remove in some places on the inside of the wheel but not impossible. It's better to be able to wash the rims with soap and water then have to use wheel cleaners. One thing I will tell you I notice all the time is that cars where dirt is left sitting for long periods between washings are more difficult to get looking new again. Cars that are washed & waxed more frequently tend to look better as time goes by. But 1 week is no big deal as long as there's no bird or bug crap on the paint (which you should wash off immediately).. I wash my Porsche every week or 2, depending on the milaege/ type of weather I've been driving in. If I get caught in a rain storm where the car gets really dirty I usually will wash it right away or during the first weekend that follows.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    eddie said:

Thanks

Dust and dirt will not hurt the paint as long as the paint is wax protected. Washing frequency is really a personal .

Very very true the Mrs's car gets a 1 a yr wash and still it comes up good as new its just the damn thing never looks dirty ..

When I do do it I spend around 8 hrs though removing every bit/tar spot going..

Inside its like the inside of every womans handbag .. yes correct ..

throt..

Thanks Guys. Stradale i used your rubber squeezee to wipe of the water. I trust you, but it felt dangerous - that rubbing noise as I wiped the water off! Thanks for the tip on cleaning the alloys as I did use a wheel cleaner today.

When it gets cold here, dread the thought of having to wash the car!

Quote:
    eddie said:
    Thanks Guys. Stradale i used your rubber squeezee to wipe of the water. I trust you, but it felt dangerous - that rubbing noise as I wiped the water off! Thanks for the tip on cleaning the alloys as I did use a wheel cleaner today.

When it gets cold here, dread the thought of having to wash the car!

Steer clear of " Clean Wheels " , its the stuff your meant to leave on for 30 secs but if you leave it on alot longer your alloys will bubble later on its very corrosive just use hot soapy water and bundles of muscle..

throt..

I wash mine once a week.

Every morning

Quote:
    bluelines said:
    Every morning

No we meant your car ..

throt..

Quote:
    throt said:
    Quote:
    bluelines said:
    Every morning

No we meant your car ..

throt..

I believe he actually meant his car.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    throt said:
    Quote:
    bluelines said:
    Every morning

No we meant your car ..

throt..

I believe he actually meant his car.

Sorry about my weird sense of humor ( in case you did'nt know ) ..

throt..

Washing frequency is really a personal preference but I wouldn't leave the brake dust on too long. If left on a long time it becomes very difficult to remove from the wheels. The high heat can bake the brake dust into the finish if left on long enough.

I agree completely with Stradale about the wheels. In fact I sometime wash the wheels between car washes to prevent brake dust build up. If done regularly only soap and water are necessary. I tried the blade as well and didn't like it. I now use a 200mph echo leaf blower and it workd great particularly if the car has a good layer of wax. Its easy,quick and scratch free.

Thanks fror all the tips. Will wash regularly! (yes throt, the car and not me!)

Quote:
    krown05 said:
    I wash mine once a week.

same here

Eddie, check out the post "wash 997s", some great contributions by Boss69 and Stradale there. Also, the "Speed Shine" from www.griotsgarage.com works awesome, will keep it looking killer between washes, thus having to give complete washes less often. My cars black, and I swear by the stuff. Good luck

Once a week here too.

Quote:
    greggr107 said:
    Eddie, check out the post "wash 997s", some great contributions by Boss69 and Stradale there. Also, the "Speed Shine" from www.griotsgarage.com works awesome, will keep it looking killer between washes, thus having to give complete washes less often. My cars black, and I swear by the stuff. Good luck

THANKS !

Isn't the speedshine awesome stuff ? When you use it with these micro fiber cloths the combo is great :
    http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?L1=L1_1000&L2=L2_1004&SKU=11115

I know it says "polish removal cloths" but they work best with the speedshine. They're unbelievably soft. I keep a small bottle of speedshine and 1 of the above cloths in each of my cars. I re-fill the small bottles with the gallon container.

My speedshine and micro-fibre cloths (along with my entire order from Griots Garage is coming tommorow!

Stradale already knows he is my detailing guru!

The more frequently you wash (even with a mild shampoo - which is all you should use), the more frequently you have to wax as you are removing wax.

Also, wax the wheels frequently to make cleaning easier.

Thanks vtach. Ok no wheel sprays on the alloys. Does that also apply to the windows?

Quote:
    eddie said:
    Thanks vtach. Ok no wheel sprays on the alloys. Does that also apply to the windows?

eddie no WD40 either this is leathal ..

throt..

where would i spray that?!

Throt, what about the autoglym stuff for windows?

Quote:
    eddie said:
    where would i spray that?!

Throt, what about the autoglym stuff for windows?

No some people think it gives alloys a coat against road tar but it just slowly eats into the alloty . Autoglym I have used and yes I trust , the high resin wax is very non-abrasive..

throt.

If you coat your car with Rejex

then washing twice a year is plenty enough. The rest of the time a wet rag will get up all of the dust and dirt that accumulates.

Rejex is especially great on wheels. Brake dust does not stick to wheels that are coated with Rejex. Great for windshields as well. Bugs bounce off before they splat.

A wet rag is all that is needed for clean up. Rejex, click here.

Re: If you coat your car with Rejex

Any special advice on what to do to a ragtop, if anything?

Quote:
    eddie said:
    Thanks fror all the tips. Will wash regularly! (yes throt, the car and not me!)

Eddie,

I would definitely wash yourself regularly too.

Re: If you coat your car with Rejex

Quote:
    dweiser said:
    Any special advice on what to do to a ragtop, if anything?

Just hose it down with the water hose, there's no need for soap. Do this especially and even in between car cleanings if there are bird droppings or other stain-making spots. If you towel-wipe it dry, the ragtop acts like velcro that attracts lint. Just drop a towel on top to soak up the water or let it dry on its own-I've even used my Black and Decker leaf blower (as suggested by a rennteamer) to facilitate drying.

BTW, I have used the Armour All wax gel after cleaning, it's an extra 5 minutes of "elbow grease," and it looks great.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    752981 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    430650 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258563 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255445 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79499 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5256 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868260 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    801802 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM