Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

when will 997 TT be launched?

Is it Geneva motor show or later??

Re: when will 997 TT be launched?

Quote:
    alhurr said:
    Is it Geneva motor show or later??

Launch (when you can actually put your hands on a car as a customer) is around June 2006 in Germany, maybe at the same time in some other countries. Middle East launch may be around autumn like the US but I'm not sure about it.

Do you know anything about a possible tubro S version immediatly??

Quote:
    magu said:
    Do you know anything about a possible tubro S version immediatly??

Magu,

Other than RC stating in a thread on this forum in late August (see thread from Monday, August 29 at www.rennteam.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=997&Number=131903&page=118fpart=all for details) that he has "ordered" one, he appears to not know anything "new."

I was at my local Porsche dealer just last week and enquired as I am on the "waitlist" for a 997TT, when we may see them. They were adamant that we will not see the 997TT when we see the face-lifted Cayenne...spring 2006. Therefore, at the very earliest it will be the fall of 2006.

BUT according the my dealer's Porsche rep they really have not made any firm decision on that...it is a possibility that Porsche may wait to introduce the 997TT as a 2008 model which we may not see until 2007. Remember that there always seems to be a 2 year lag between introduction of the NA version and the appearance of the TT. The 997 C2 and C4's are coming out now in 2005, so the TT...(do the math).

It seems on this and other webpages that the opinions are split to be 50/50 on 2006 or 2007. If you say 2006 most are hopeful, if you say 2007 you just seem to p*** people off and get flamed for a while.

summer 06 is my prediction for USA delivery

Quote:
    BD 997 said:
    summer 06 is my prediction for USA delivery

Yup.

Quote:
    NeverFastEnough said:
    I was at my local Porsche dealer just last week and enquired as I am on the "waitlist" for a 997TT, when we may see them. They were adamant that we will not see the 997TT when we see the face-lifted Cayenne...spring 2006. Therefore, at the very earliest it will be the fall of 2006.

BUT according the my dealer's Porsche rep they really have not made any firm decision on that...it is a possibility that Porsche may wait to introduce the 997TT as a 2008 model which we may not see until 2007. Remember that there always seems to be a 2 year lag between introduction of the NA version and the appearance of the TT. The 997 C2 and C4's are coming out now in 2005, so the TT...(do the math).

It seems on this and other webpages that the opinions are split to be 50/50 on 2006 or 2007. If you say 2006 most are hopeful, if you say 2007 you just seem to p*** people off and get flamed for a while.

This isn't about being hopeful or whatever, this is about a FACT. The 997 Turbo is indeed coming spring/early summer 2006, unless there would be major problems with development/production shortly before the launch.
    So we're not discussing WHEN the 997 Turbo is coming but HOW it'll come, meaning how much power it will have, other technical specs, etc. Right now 480 HP are on the table, a few days ago I heard even 500 HP flat for the base version but unless I see it black on white (preliminary data sheet, whatever), I'm cautious to say I'm 100% sure. One thing is for sure: people who own a 996 Turbo or who recently bought a 996 Turbo S will be pretty disappointed because the jump in power AND performance will be substantial.
    Porsche needed to make this step to be able to cope with cars like the Lamborghini Gallardo, Mercedes SL55, Ferrari F430 and so on.

If the rumored introduction date period of June 2006 for the german market is right, the US market will get the first cars VERY LATE august or early september. I don't call that summer or late spring anymore.

The only real mystery remains the 997 Turbo S. Is it coming together with the Turbo at the same time or not. I get very very confusing information and honestly, I can't tell 100% sure, not even 80% sure that the Turbo S shows up immediately at the same time with the Turbo.

So to cut down to the point: yes, the 997 Turbo is coming around the middle of next year (2006 as a MY 2007 model). The REAL interesting remaining questions are:
    1. how much power and torque?
    2. how high the price increase over the 996 Turbo?
    3. does the Turbo S come at the same time?

So if somebody can reply to these three questions with 100% accuracy, he wins the Rennteam.com Smartass Reward Par Excellence

Quote:
    RC said:
    So if somebody can reply to these three questions with 100% accuracy, he wins the Rennteam.com Smartass Reward Par Excellence

Let me do some research then RC ..

throt..

I'm not worried about the performance of the 997TT anymore. I'm worried more with the looks.

I agree with SoCal Alan. When talking to my dealer it is pretty clear, as it always has been, that Porsche has Ferrari and Lamborghini in its' sights when building the TT, so I do not think performance will be the issue.

The looks, though...we can only hope that it looks better than the camoed pics. Maybe with the predominance of negative comments, Porsche has desided to "tweak" it a little more.

Hopefully the waiting to 2007 is just a nasty rumor Porsche is spreading to clear their lots of 996TT's to people who don't want to wait, or they are waiting for the demand to build so the price/profit margin is there.

Quote:
    RC said:
    The REAL interesting remaining questions are:

And the final question:

4. When will DSG be available?

NeverFastEnough,

We certainly don't want to come across as being p***** off on this forum, so if I get too sarcastic or smart-aleck-ey at times, I apologize, but it's usually out of frustration when it seems like the sports car manufacturing industry moves laboriously slowly.

Most of us car enthusiasts, of course, are cheerleaders for these toys, so pessimism tends to be discouraged.

But listen to RC, when he states something and repeats it, it usually means he is sure of its veracity. Although, as a new (2005 996 Turbo S Cabriolet) 911 Turbo owner, I will disagree with him on one smallish point: I certainly will NOT be disappointed with a 997TT with a big power and performance boost-particularly since I'm 3rd in line at my dealer for a 997TT (probably another TSCab-whenever it comes out , since currently I'm leaning toward the Noble M400 as my summer thrash turbo-coupe car ). And I suspect we will NOT be disappointed with the 997TT's looks either, even if we don't get every cosmetic detail for which we wish. Evaluating a new car's aesthetics from spy pics of test mules with camo. is sort of like choosing your wife based on how she looks and behaves in the dark basement of a crowded college fraternity beer blast. Oops, that counts as another smart-aleck-ey comment.

Quote:
    Al Pettee said:
    And I suspect we will NOT be disappointed with the 997TT's looks either, even if we don't get every cosmetic detail for which we wish.

I hope you're right. I haven't been disappointed with the looks of anything coming out of Porsche recently so I guess there's no reason to believe otherwise.

Quote:
    Al Pettee said:
    Evaluating a new car's aesthetics from spy pics of test mules with camo. is sort of like choosing your wife based on how she looks and behaves in the dark basement of a crowded college fraternity beer blast.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    NeverFastEnough said:

This isn't about being hopeful or whatever, this is about a FACT. The 997 Turbo is indeed coming spring/early summer 2006, unless there would be major problems with development/production shortly before the launch.
    So we're not discussing WHEN the 997 Turbo is coming but HOW it'll come, meaning how much power it will have, other technical specs, etc. Right now 480 HP are on the table, a few days ago I heard even 500 HP flat for the base version but unless I see it black on white (preliminary data sheet, whatever), I'm cautious to say I'm 100% sure. One thing is for sure: people who own a 996 Turbo or who recently bought a 996 Turbo S will be pretty disappointed because the jump in power AND performance will be substantial.
    Porsche needed to make this step to be able to cope with cars like the Lamborghini Gallardo, Mercedes SL55, Ferrari F430 and so on.

If the rumored introduction date period of June 2006 for the german market is right, the US market will get the first cars VERY LATE august or early september. I don't call that summer or late spring anymore.

The only real mystery remains the 997 Turbo S. Is it coming together with the Turbo at the same time or not. I get very very confusing information and honestly, I can't tell 100% sure, not even 80% sure that the Turbo S shows up immediately at the same time with the Turbo.

So to cut down to the point: yes, the 997 Turbo is coming around the middle of next year (2006 as a MY 2007 model). The REAL interesting remaining questions are:

The recent issue of AutoZeitung (a German car magazine) also confirms introduction of the standard TT in spring 2006. They state that the car will have 500hp.

More importantly: A picture in the above article clearly indicates that the ugly covers of the side air-intakes (as shown on all pictures of the car on rennteam.com) are just camouflage. Also, the whole rear of the car seems to be covered by some sort of camouflage too...

Quote:
    RC said:
    One thing is for sure: people who own a 996 Turbo will be pretty disappointed because the jump in power AND performance will be substantial.

The opposite is true! Why should I order a new 997TT if it was not substantially quicker than the 996TT? The more power and speed the better

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    NeverFastEnough said:

The recent issue of AutoZeitung (a German car magazine) also confirms introduction of the standard TT in spring 2006. They state that the car will have 500hp.

More importantly: A picture in the above article clearly indicates that the ugly covers of the side air-intakes (as shown on all pictures of the car on rennteam.com) are just camouflage. Also, the whole rear of the car seems to be covered by some sort of camouflage too...

Yeah - the last issue of Excellence (that I got here anyway) also clearly stated that the strakes were taped in. Here's hoping...

Hopefully those taped-in inlet strakes are NOT on the final product, but if they are, maybe they will have a "strake delete package" . Of course we will pay extra for that!

Like everyone else here I first heard the 997TT would originally come out in the spring/summer 2006. Sounds like my Porsche dealer and his rep are maybe playing some "mind games." Who knows .

Quote:
    PTM said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:

Yeah - the last issue of Excellence (that I got here anyway) also clearly stated that the strakes were taped in. Here's hoping...

The Excellence article states that

"Taped on strakes mean we don't know if Porsche will ditch the plastic inserts used on Turbo 996s, but we remain hopeful".

I'm confused. Are they talking about the side intakes? And if so, what do that mean by "plastic inserts" used on Turbo 996s?

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    Quote:
    PTM said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:

The Excellence article states that

"Taped on strakes mean we don't know if Porsche will ditch the plastic inserts used on Turbo 996s, but we remain hopeful".

I'm confused. Are they talking about the side intakes? And if so, what do that mean by "plastic inserts" used on Turbo 996s?

Look at the side intakes. See where it looks like a seam line ? That's the "plastic inserts" they're talking about.

SoCal Alan,

I believe they are referring to the rear "slats" behind the rear wheels, not the side intakes by the doors. I actually don't mind them on my 996TSCab, and wouldn't mind them on a 997TT. I do hope that the side intakes behind the doors remain clean and open though. . . .

They're hoping Porsche ditches those inserts in favor of using only metal in the shape of the fender like below

Although Stradale may be correct, now I'm confused. . . .

Quote:
    STRADALE said:

They're hoping Porsche ditches those inserts in favor of using only metal in the shape of the fender like below

I actually like those inserts. The Gemballa GTR 750 car comes without them and I really don't like it...

Ah,hah I see now....without inserts:

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM