Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

CDN vs US Pricing

Based upon numbers from the "Build Your Own Porsche" part of the Porsche NA website, I just realized that if you convert the US MSRP for a C2 or C2S into CDN dollars, that number is over $25,000 less than the CDN MSRP.

$25,000!!!!!

Comments?

Anybody have any experience with buying their 911 in the US and bringing it back to Canada?

Re: CDN vs US Pricing

I considered this, but was told that Porsche is considering voiding warranty in Canada on US cars. I'd look into this before proceeding further. Otherwise, it makes perfect sense to do this. Porsche is not alone in this though. When I was considering a C6 Z06, I noted that GM does the same thing. An equivalent car imported from the US would save about $17K if I recall correctly. With GM, there is no warranty for 6 months if you go that route, but it would only be a minor hassle for me to drive across the border.

Quote:
    PbPedis said:
    I considered this, but was told that Porsche is considering voiding warranty in Canada on US cars. I'd look into this before proceeding further. Otherwise, it makes perfect sense to do this. Porsche is not alone in this though. When I was considering a C6 Z06, I noted that GM does the same thing. An equivalent car imported from the US would save about $17K if I recall correctly. With GM, there is no warranty for 6 months if you go that route, but it would only be a minor hassle for me to drive across the border.

If it's a warranty issue, why can't you just bring it back to the US dealer to resolve, when/if that time comes?

Quote:
    Silver Bullet said:
    Based upon numbers from the "Build Your Own Porsche" part of the Porsche NA website, I just realized that if you convert the US MSRP for a C2 or C2S into CDN dollars, that number is over $25,000 less than the CDN MSRP.

$25,000!!!!!

Comments?

Anybody have any experience with buying their 911 in the US and bringing it back to Canada?

My local P dealer said for the Cayenne (where there is a huge market for resale in other countries), that P has strict rules re. out-of-country purchases. That issue might impact me if I purchase an AM (DB9 or AMV8), since my geographically closest dealer is in Toronto, Ontario (Canada) just on the other side of Lake Ontario. The next closest dealers are in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania or New York City (both 5-6 hours away by car), or I could go to Naples, Florida, where I frequent in winter and where I plan to go this January for test drives.

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    Quote:
    PbPedis said:

If it's a warranty issue, why can't you just bring it back to the US dealer to resolve, when/if that time comes?

Yes, that would probably work. I don't know if you would have to have the car registered at a US address though.

The price difference between Canada and the US is becoming outrageous for Porsche products. Most of the other car manufacturers have adjusted prices in a manner which makes the differences between the US and Canadian cars more equivalent. Porsche is maintaining the large differential, probably because Canadians are still buying the product. 2005 997s were sold out in the Montreal market by the end of March. With the supply constrained and the demand still strong, they have little incentive to lower prices.

Porsche will transfer the warranty from a US car to Canada if the car is transferred to the Canadian market in a legitamate fashion. If for example you purschased a Porsche in the US and moved to Canada 1 year later, they will transfer the warranty without an issue. They probably will have a problem though if you purchased it in Detroit and live in southern ontario. You can call the Porsche customer service line and ask them the question. They will respond to the question.

In the Montreal market, the standard purchase agreement for automobiles strictly prohibits the purchase of a car for export to another market. I am not sure of the consequence, but the car manufactures probably can cancel the warranty based upon the breaching of the sales agreement. US sales agreements may or may not be different.

As a current owner of a a Canadian purchased 997S, I can not say that I would like to see the prices lowered. If Porsche were to lower the selling price for 2006 model year cars, it would destroy the resale value of my car. The same goes for every other late model Porsche in Canada. If Porsche were to bring US and Canadian cars into price allignment, a lot of owers and leasing companies would take a bath on the value of the car at trade in time. There would be some winners, but a lot of people would lose out, creating a 'brand' value problem long term.

If it makes you feel any better, we still pay a little bit less than our friends in the UK!

Some dealers have actually refused to sell me a new 05 987 even though PCNA told me its not a problem.

This seems to be an individual dealer issue but they may be catching on to the idea that more of us are going to be purchasing in the US and bringing cars back, esp with the exchange rate the way it is.

Quote:
    andre may said:
    Some dealers have actually refused to sell me a new 05 987 even though PCNA told me its not a problem.

This seems to be an individual dealer issue but they may be catching on to the idea that more of us are going to be purchasing in the US and bringing cars back, esp with the exchange rate the way it is.

By saying that some dealers have refused, are you implying that some dealers have been willing to sell to you?

Can you elaborate more on who you were in touch with at PCNA about this and what exactly they said?

Quote:
    andre may said:

They are probably afraid of their future allocations. Obviously P is not too hip on blowing cover on this price difference and affecting sales of the Canadian dealers.

Ellis Porsche in Atlanta was more than willing to sell new to me but they didn't have the right options. Brandywine would not sell me the car I wanted, only pre-owned.

Quote:
    Al Pettee said:
    Quote:
    Silver Bullet said:

$25,000!!!!!

Comments?

My local P dealer said for the Cayenne (where there is a huge market for resale in other countries), that P has strict rules re. out-of-country purchases. That issue might impact me if I purchase an AM (DB9 or AMV8), since my geographically closest dealer is in Toronto, Ontario (Canada) just on the other side of Lake Ontario. The next closest dealers are in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania or New York City (both 5-6 hours away by car), or I could go to Naples, Florida, where I frequent in winter and where I plan to go this January for test drives.

For you - What about Miller Motorcars in Greenwich CT for AM ? I was in there last week. Still pretty far but closer than the others you mention in PA or NYC.

Quote:
    TheOldMan said:
    The price difference between Canada and the US is becoming outrageous for Porsche products. Most of the other car manufacturers have adjusted prices in a manner which makes the differences between the US and Canadian cars more equivalent. Porsche is maintaining the large differential, probably because Canadians are still buying the product. 2005 997s were sold out in the Montreal market by the end of March. With the supply constrained and the demand still strong, they have little incentive to lower prices.

Porsche will transfer the warranty from a US car to Canada if the car is transferred to the Canadian market in a legitamate fashion. If for example you purschased a Porsche in the US and moved to Canada 1 year later, they will transfer the warranty without an issue. They probably will have a problem though if you purchased it in Detroit and live in southern ontario. You can call the Porsche customer service line and ask them the question. They will respond to the question.

In the Montreal market, the standard purchase agreement for automobiles strictly prohibits the purchase of a car for export to another market. I am not sure of the consequence, but the car manufactures probably can cancel the warranty based upon the breaching of the sales agreement. US sales agreements may or may not be different.

As a current owner of a a Canadian purchased 997S, I can not say that I would like to see the prices lowered. If Porsche were to lower the selling price for 2006 model year cars, it would destroy the resale value of my car. The same goes for every other late model Porsche in Canada. If Porsche were to bring US and Canadian cars into price allignment, a lot of owers and leasing companies would take a bath on the value of the car at trade in time. There would be some winners, but a lot of people would lose out, creating a 'brand' value problem long term.

If it makes you feel any better, we still pay a little bit less than our friends in the UK!

Good point.

Stradale,

I might stop by there-my sister's family is moving near there this month, so a stop in to check them out would make a good excuse to visit my relatives.

My dealer just told me the following:

"The warranty is good anywhere in North America"

I therefore don't see how a sale in the US could end up without warranty in Canada. I do not think the warranty is an issue.

I just bought a slightly used, highly optioned 997S from Chicago. I found a local high end car dealer to help import the car into Canada for me. The total money saved is close to CAN $40000. I spoke with the local Porsche dealer whom I know very well (bought two new Porsches from them). They said no warranty problem as the warranty is provided by PCNA (Porsche Cars North America) and it covers both Canada and USA.

$40K? Now that's a lot of loonies.

Quote:
    SrfCity said:
    $40K? Now that's a lot of loonies.

... for the same ponnies I might add.

I do not think that it is juat Porsche that has the price discrepancy. My brother just ordered a M3, and the sticker was 60K US and for fun he checked the Canadian prices (we were from Canada), it was 90K CND. (the current exchange rate is 0.86, therefore the Canadian car costs 77.5K. Similarly my parents who live in Montreal were looking at Altima's, same cars were 22K US, 32K CND. I think there is a problem with the exchange rate, as the Canadian dollar has done better in the last 1 year, the prices in Canada look worse because foreign products have not been priced down according to the weakness in the US dollar. This means that buying things in the US has now become significantly cheaper for Canadians becauase of the strong Canadian dollar.

Which Chicago dealer did you purchase from?

Quote:
    Targa Tim said:
    I just bought a slightly used, highly optioned 997S from Chicago. I found a local high end car dealer to help import the car into Canada for me. The total money saved is close to CAN $40000. I spoke with the local Porsche dealer whom I know very well (bought two new Porsches from them). They said no warranty problem as the warranty is provided by PCNA (Porsche Cars North America) and it covers both Canada and USA.

Wonderful!

COuld you elaborate on what was required to import the car? Did you pay taxes in Illinois on the car? What duties did you have to pay? Did you require a letter from Porsche AG regarding the emissions for Canada, or did you have to have the emissions tested? How did you get past the daytime running lights requirement?

Sorry about all the questions, but this only becomes possible when it's reallistic. Your experience is very valuable.

I bought the car from foxvalleymotors (a lambo dealer). The 997S is cobalt blue with options similar to the launch car, including PCCB. It was lightly used with less than 2000 miles, in service date May 2005, clean carfax. I do not need to pay any US taxes. The fee that I pay includes:
    - the actual car price at foxvalleymotors
    - freight and PDI
    - a 6.2 % import tax (to Canada Customs)
    - the usual 17 % sale tax (to Canada Customs)
    - US $2000 transportation fee (to ship car from Chicago to Vancouver)
    - CAN $2000 broker fee payable to the high end car dealers that help me import the car, get the title, bring to local Porsche service center for inspection, all the paperworks, etc.
    - some misc. documentation fees

The MRSP of this 997S was US 103K, the asking price at foxvalleymotors was US 92.9K, I negotiate it down to US 87.8K
    The total price I pay to this Canadian dealer to buy the car from him is CAN $135K
    If I order a brand new car with same spec., the new car price will be CAN $175K
    There is the cost saving of CAN $40K, and yes, mine is a slightly used one, but still a significant saving.
    Daytime driving light is not a problem as Porsche service tech. can just use the OBDII to program the light to work without the need for wiring.
    My brother imported a 2001 996TT few months ago and need to pay CAN $600 for wiring of the daytime driving light.
    Hope the above information helps.

Thanks for the info Targa Tim.

What is OBDII?

Do you think I could do the same by just buying the car in teh US and driving it back to Canada and just paying the 6% and 17% at the border? Do you think you could put me in touch with the broker you used (feel free to PM me)?

OBDII is just some computer thing that the Porsche dealer hook up to a new Porsche (997 or Cayenne) to change some of the car's setting.
    My local dealer is Westport Motor Cars and they do a lot of these kind of US importing. Check their website at www.westportmotorcars.com
    You can buy the car in US and drive to the border, but I was told by the dealer that there is a lot of paperworks and waiting at the border. The car may just sit at the border for days to wait for this kind of paperworks. Afterwards, there are several inspections to do. To save your time and trouble, it is better to find a local dealer with experience in importing and pay them a fee to do everything for you.

Quote:
    Targa Tim said:
    I bought the car from foxvalleymotors (a lambo dealer). The 997S is cobalt blue with options similar to the launch car, including PCCB. It was lightly used with less than 2000 miles, in service date May 2005, clean carfax. I do not need to pay any US taxes. The fee that I pay includes:
    - the actual car price at foxvalleymotors
    - freight and PDI
    - a 6.2 % import tax (to Canada Customs)
    - the usual 17 % sale tax (to Canada Customs)
    - US $2000 transportation fee (to ship car from Chicago to Vancouver)
    - CAN $2000 broker fee payable to the high end car dealers that help me import the car, get the title, bring to local Porsche service center for inspection, all the paperworks, etc.
    - some misc. documentation fees

The MRSP of this 997S was US 103K, the asking price at foxvalleymotors was US 92.9K, I negotiate it down to US 87.8K
    The total price I pay to this Canadian dealer to buy the car from him is CAN $135K
    If I order a brand new car with same spec., the new car price will be CAN $175K
    There is the cost saving of CAN $40K, and yes, mine is a slightly used one, but still a significant saving.
    Daytime driving light is not a problem as Porsche service tech. can just use the OBDII to program the light to work without the need for wiring.
    My brother imported a 2001 996TT few months ago and need to pay CAN $600 for wiring of the daytime driving light.
    Hope the above information helps.

tim,

i imported an S2000 a couple of years ago.

there is hardly any paperwork involved and there are no border hassles.

i cleared both US and CN borders in 30 minutes.

neither country inspected the vehicle or anything (they didn't even look at it). both CN and US customs have special "vehicle" counters and officers that only process vehicles (importing and/or exporting).

btw, the duty is only 6.1% for any vehicle built outside of North America or built outside of NAFTA.

i saved $12K (on a $30K car).

i recently helped my cousin import an '05 M3...he saved $17K. he had to take a 1/2 day off from work....he was back in the office by 2:00pm - with his new car.

it's easier than getting a reservation at a fine restaurant.

PLYRS3:

So you mean that there is no 17% "sales tax". I would imagine that that is a combination of GST and PST. One does not pay GST on a used vehicle, so I was confused by the 17% number. I would imagine that you still have to pay PST though, and that that might be in addition to some sort of duty (presumably what the 6.1% is).

PLYRS3,

Good for you for doing the importation yourself. Maybe it is different doing it in Ontario. My car sat at the border for few days waiting for the title. Then there is inspection and activation of daytime lights by an appointment at Porsche dealer. Then there is emission inspection, etc.

SB,

yes, I have to pay the usual 17% sale tax plus the extra 6.1% import tax. Like when you buy a preowned car at any dealer, you have to pay 17%. Only if you buy from someone personally, then you can save GST. Again maybe it is different in Ontario.

Quote:
    Targa Tim said:
    PLYRS3,

Good for you for doing the importation yourself. Maybe it is different doing it in Ontario. My car sat at the border for few days waiting for the title. Then there is inspection and activation of daytime lights by an appointment at Porsche dealer. Then there is emission inspection, etc.

SB,

yes, I have to pay the usual 17% sale tax plus the extra 6.1% import tax. Like when you buy a preowned car at any dealer, you have to pay 17%. Only if you buy from someone personally, then you can save GST. Again maybe it is different in Ontario.

A) GST = 7%
    Does PST in B.C.= 10% (for a total of 17%) ?!?!

B) 6.1% import tax - so much for the Free Trade Agreement huh? On a used Porsche - some American will already have paid an import tax to the US authorities. iF we have "free trade" with the US, why should we have to pay an import tax again?

17% = 7% GST + 7% PST + 3% luxury car tax (extra tax on vehicle costing more than CAN$40000.)

I think the 6.1% import tax was meant to discourage this kind of cost border shopping. I guess they would have never guess that the exchange rate difference has more than make up for this penalty.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/16/24 3:13 PM
    watt
    754303 1797
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    431218 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258777 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255714 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79725 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5260 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868693 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    802492 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM