Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

PASM or not?

Hi all

I'd like to canvass opinions of the benefits of PASM versus standard suspension in the Boxster.
    I intend to drive a PASM car before I consider the option on my new Cayman, but I haven't had time yet and wondered what you guys who've driven cars with PASM and standard shocks thought about the feel and road holding differences in the two suspension setups.

I don't see me ever tracking the car, but I'm a keen 'wheels man' given the chance and want the best driving experience, does the PASM feel a bit numb and unnatural?

Any thoughts?

Re: PASM or not?

I am super satisfied on my standard set up.
    I want to keep the car long, and would buy it after the lease end. ANd i worried about the cost of fixing the PASM...
    anyone has any idea how expensive and how reliable of the PASM?

Quote:
    toplad said:
    Hi all

I'd like to canvass opinions of the benefits of PASM versus standard suspension in the Boxster.
    I intend to drive a PASM car before I consider the option on my new Cayman, but I haven't had time yet and wondered what you guys who've driven cars with PASM and standard shocks thought about the feel and road holding differences in the two suspension setups.

I don't see me ever tracking the car, but I'm a keen 'wheels man' given the chance and want the best driving experience, does the PASM feel a bit numb and unnatural?

Any thoughts?

If you're not gonna track the car, you don't need PASM. There are some people on this board that absolutely swear by it in a non-track environment but I have an S with 19" Carrera Classics (for me, the larger wheels mattered more than PASM) and the ride is more than fine, it was smoother than I thought.

You'll really reap the benefits of PASM on the track environment where you can distinctly notice the difference with the throttle and cornering at super high speeds. For city driving, non-hard, I wouldn't bother.

You really have to try them both. I personally think the PASM has benefits in normal use, but you might be fine without. Have had no problems whatever with my PASM.

Erm, and PASM doesn't interact with the throttle, AJ.

Also, the difference between 18s and 19s isn't as big as you think. Save loads and get standard suspension with 18s.

Money is not a factor?
    should get it.

Was it only me or did I not notice a different throttle once in Sport mode?

I also have a 19'' set up with standard suspension. I find the ride excellent. Firm (the way a sports car should be) but never harsh except over the very worst bummps. Ona twisty back road at high speed the handling and ride is exemplary.

I test drove the car on 18's with PASM, but can't really say I have felt a significant difference. For me, the standrad tuned Porsche chassis setup is every bit good enough. There have been a few complaints about a rolling motion on the back with PASM. Obviously the standard (and improved on the Cayman) suspension should be superb.

Cheers,

JZ

Re: PASM or not? Article in Porsche Post Oct 05

"After signing off the Carrera 4 cabriolet article for the last issue of PP, I came across an exhortation by a "muttering rotter" not to buy a PASM equipped 911. Presumably his notes applied to Boxster purchasers as well. The writer was Steve Sutcliffe, aand this eas not the first comment I have sen to the effect that the active chassis option actually detracted from the 911 experience, On this occasion Sutcliffe's opinion was that the basic 3.6 Carrera was the better car, Hadf I got it all wrong in my review?

Hopefully not, I decided. But I also recalled the story of someone who had actually returned their PASM equipped 911 and replaced it with one equipped with the standard suspension. Like Sutcliffe, he is a racing driver and the common factor must be significant, If your reference point is a stiffly sprung competition car, then the intervention and potentially variable response from an actively managed suspension system set-up could be disconcerting. On "normal" it is too soft or, it has automatically stiffened up as you press on. In Sport mode, it is possibly too hard most of the time. That, at least, is my opinion. I find Sport unhelpful on many roads in the UK, but on the track it is another matter. So, no, I do not feel the need to change my opinion. I believe PASM is still the better option for most drivers in normal use on all surfaces in all weathers, where its automatic reactions usually give me what I need for the conditions and the way I am driving. Of course, others are entitled to their opinion and I would be interested on the views of people with the experience of both set-ups. The letter page "incoming" is there. And I am reminded that, in the hands of Porsche's test drivers at least, PASM equipped cars are quicker round the Nurburging Nordschliefe."

Stephen Mummery, Editor.

Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:
    Was it only me or did I not notice a different throttle once in Sport mode?

That'll probably be the Sport Chrono....? (Separate to PASM)

Having tried the std suspension on 19" wheels on a variety of fast A and B roads recently i wouldn't bother with PASM. Plu you get the extra 10mm of wheel travel by not having the sports suspension.

Plus if you want to keep the car for a long time, think about the cost of replacing the dampers, and future faults with the ontrol systems

I admit that if I had to spec again, I might not put PASM on the list. Personally, I don't think it's quick enough to step in to control body movement when in Normal mode. But that's probably made worse by the rubbish roads around here, and to be honest, you get used to it, it's not really that bad.

The best thing about PASM though (and it's main selling point in my opinion) is that you can have the choice of Hard or Soft at the flick of a button. And I don't think that Sport mode PASM (particularly with 18s) is too harsh. It's just not quite as relaxing as Normal mode.

You have to test both really, for long drives if possible.

Quote:
    wtsnet said:
    You have to test both really, for long drives if possible.

I've not driven the Boxster without PASM but with 19" wheels. But I have driven the 997 3.6 with 18" wheels without PASM and the 997 S 3.8 with 19" wheels and PASM. The latter, on the same roads had by far the better ride and the more composed handling. As I've said here before, my 987 is probably the one and only time I could justify spending this much money on my "dreamcar". I've not regretted my choice of PASM at all. Would I change anything with the benefit of hindsight? Yes - I would probably have been more imaginative with my colour choice, but I would keep PASM.

PASM is fantastic - I wouldn't consider another Porsche without it. The standard mode is superior to a stock 986S suspension, and the sport mode is utterly fantastic, equal probably to the ROW030 - best of both worlds.

If you are on the fence about PASM and money is not a huge deciding factor just do it! I have a 987S with PASM and 19's, but have driven a 987S without PASM as well. Here are my thoughts.

1) PASM in normal mode gives a much more compliant ride over rough surfaces than the standard suspension. There is no question in my mind about this. Your wife or girlfriend will thank you for having this option when they are not being jarred over rough pavement.

2) PASM in sport mode with the 19's feels noticeably more agressive than the standard suspension. The ride can be a bit jarring over rough pavement, but on smooth twisty roads it is pure heaven.

3) PASM equipped cars ride slightly lower than than cars with the standard suspension. This reduces the gap between the fender and the tires. While this is a cosmetic reason, it is still one to consider.

4) Finally, the ability to change your suspension settings is just so damn cool!

One final thought, I would make sure to combine PASM with the Sport Chrono. The more aggressive throttle settings in sport mode and the tighter suspension turn the car into a different animal when really pushing it.

PASM set in Sport mode is exactly the same suspension as with Sport chrono 'on'.

Sport chrono will not make your suspension even tighter if added with PASM, only it will sharpen throttle response, push back PSM interaction and save you the trouble of having to press the PASM button as well. It automatically turns PASM onto it harder Sport setting.

PASM with or without Sport chrono is exactly the same.

IMHO, sport chrono is a gimmick, unless you order a TIP. Just push the pedal further!!

Cheers,

JZ

Quote:
    JZ said:
    IMHO, sport chrono is a gimmick, unless you order a TIP. Just push the pedal further!!

Cheers,

JZ

Agreed. I tried it in a 997S and could really notice the shorter/sharper throttle response, but I couldn't tell any benefit whatsever when I tried it in a Boxster S manual.

Sport chrono is not a gimmick - you notice it in spirited or track driving, where throttle response (already quick) is INSTANT. You only notice it if you really are testing the throttle response, and the perfect place to test it is out of a corner on a track. It's no gimmick.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    766172 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    437615 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261529 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    258395 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82952 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5339 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

877752 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    810216 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM