Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayman Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Cayman vs BMW Z4 M Coupe

Have you guys seen the Z4 Coupe concept that BMW showed in Frankfurt? I think that when the M Coupe is launched it'll give the Cayman (even the CS model) a serious run for it's money.

I spoke with a BMW official in Munich about a month ago, he confirmed that the next M-product to be released is the Z4 M Roadster. So it's a no-brainer that there will be an M Coupe too. And it's also a safe bet that it will have more power than the Cayman CS. According to speculation BMW will use either the current M3 engine or a small V8, so we are talking at least 340-350 hp.
    And it will probably be very competitively priced. A Z4 3.0 Roadster is more than $3 000 less than a plain Boxster. And back in the day of the Z3, the Coupe cost slightly less than the Roadster (at least here in Sweden); hopefully that will be the case when the Z4 Coupe is officially launched, but I wouldn't bet on it.
    Another thing indicating that BMW will be pushing for the Z4 Coupe as a serious driver's car is the tyres that the concept car was sitting on. If you look closely you can see that they are Michelin Pilot Sport Cup - probably the best streetlegal tyre available (except in the wet), and the same tyres that came with the M3 CSL.

So my conclusion is that the Z4 M Coupe has the potential to be one hell of a car -engine, price and tyres.

What do you guys think?

Re: Cayman vs BMW Z4 M Coupe

I think you're right...
    I grew up with BMW's, so I have quite alot of experience woth them. Their M cars are always a cut above the rest (besides Porsche). This new car is sure to give the Cayman a run for its money.

I actually think that all this new competition is good for Porsche. It's just gonna push them to make their cars even better.

If history is any indicator of the future I don't think Porsche puts much stock in what BMW M and Mercedes AMG are up to. M and AMG have had much more power than Porsche prior to the 996 and 997 introduction and the E46 M3 still has more HP on paper than the 997 C2 let alone a 986/987S. Whether its arrogance, hubris, or excellence, Porsche competes only with itself.

My issue with the later model sporty BMW's is the ride, it's to firm, if the beemer rides like a Porsche it will be brilliant.

Quote:
    toplad said:
    My issue with the later model sporty BMW's is the ride, it's to firm, if the beemer rides like a Porsche it will be brilliant.

My 330i (w/ perf pkg) on 18" wheels and 35-series tires rides beautifully. It has a more comfortable ride than either (non-PASM) Boxster.

I think BMW's problem is weight, having the engine in the front, crappy brakes, little torque, and electronics getting in the way of fun.

"My 330i (w/ perf pkg) on 18" wheels and 35-series tires rides beautifully"

I bought one of those too. I found the ride very harsh and swapped the wheels for 17" which helped a bit. After 2,000 miles I gave up and bought a 997 instead which I thought much better (I still have it). Although firm it has more resilience.
    Which just goes to show we are all different.
    I still have the BMW's 18" wheels with only 500 miles on the tires!

Quote:
    KenH said:
    "My 330i (w/ perf pkg) on 18" wheels and 35-series tires rides beautifully"

I bought one of those too. I found the ride very harsh and swapped the wheels for 17" which helped a bit. After 2,000 miles I gave up and bought a 997 instead which I thought much better (I still have it). Although firm it has more resilience.
    Which just goes to show we are all different.
    I still have the BMW's 18" wheels with only 500 miles on the tires!

Interesting. I just test-drove a Boxster S on Sunday. My 330i felt like a luxury car when I drove it 5 minutes later. My wife even commented on this. And the 987S I drove had 18" tires with a lot more side wall than the 330i.

I know a guy who got a 330i (w/PP) after having an E46 M3 and thinks the 330i's suspension is far better in terms of comfort and everyday driving.

Quote:
    mbr129 said:
    Quote:
    toplad said:

My 330i (w/ perf pkg) on 18" wheels

I said sporty

We I say sporty, I mean stuff like 996, 997, M3, RS4. The car companies ultimate sports car in that price band. The top Z4 is to harsh and doesn't soak up the bumps well

Sounds like a very nice car, but although it will probably out-horsepower and perhaps even straightline outrun the Cayman, i very seriously doubt it will be any real competitor to the Cayman on a track.
    Mid-engine masterpiece versus frontengine driving machine:
    If you were on a track, both cars standard trim and you could have your pick. Your goal: Set the fastest lap you can.
    Which would you pick? Without even knowing the Beemer, and admitting to the fact that I havent even driven a Cayman yet - I'll trust the automotive press and cram my a$$ into the Porsche.

Design, BHP and brand preference is a totally different story. That's all a matter of preference.
    But performancewise i don't believe BMW has any model that can compare to, let alone beat, its Porsche counterpart.

Those of you who read my trackday report, know that I have a newfound respect for a cars setup and engine layout. A lot more so than BHPs.
    Handling is king, and the Cayman seems to be king of handling.

Quote:
    Dr. Phil said:
    Sounds like a very nice car, but although it will probably out-horsepower and perhaps even straightline outrun the Cayman, i very seriously doubt it will be any real competitor to the Cayman on a track.
    Mid-engine masterpiece versus frontengine driving machine:
    If you were on a track, both cars standard trim and you could have your pick. Your goal: Set the fastest lap you can.
    Which would you pick? Without even knowing the Beemer, and admitting to the fact that I havent even driven a Cayman yet - I'll trust the automotive press and cram my a$$ into the Porsche.

Design, BHP and brand preference is a totally different story. That's all a matter of preference.
    But performancewise i don't believe BMW has any model that can compare to, let alone beat, its Porsche counterpart.

Those of you who read my trackday report, know that I have a newfound respect for a cars setup and engine layout. A lot more so than BHPs.
    Handling is king, and the Cayman seems to be king of handling.

BMW Z4 in any incarnation = P.O.S.

I agree with Dr. Phil about the handling of a car being very important.
    Look at the 987S against the SLK55 AMG. The AMG has what, about 75hp on the Porsche, but in almost every track test I've read, the Boxster came out ahead.
    I'm sure the Z4M will be a lot sportier than the SLK, but I highly doubt that it will be able to match the upcoming Cayman CS (if they actually build it).
    As to brand preference, I won't lie, I am very biased towards Porsche and have never really been into BMWs.

Didn't the Z4 3.0 beat the Boxster (non-S) on a track when Tiff tested it on 5th Gear?

I think the Z4M coupe will be a hard match for the Cayman. The Z4 is not a bad car at all and +100hp over the Cayman is a quite serious advantage. I have a hard time believing the Cayman's mid-engine configuration can compensate those +100hp. But we will all know soon...

I never saw that Fifth Gear video. If it was a base 986 rather than a 987 being tested, the Z4's victory wouldn't be surprising. With the 987, I could see it going either way.

I had the M coupe and it was such a fun car. It was faster than the 996 Carrera. A real drift machine too.

Then I traded it in to get the E46 M3. The M coupe is miles better than the M3. No comparison, the M coupe rocks. I just hope they would do it.

And if they do, I bet you it would be hanging with the 997 Carrera not Cayman or Boxter.

Quote:
    DamienL said:
    I never saw that Fifth Gear video. If it was a base 986 rather than a 987 being tested, the Z4's victory wouldn't be surprising. With the 987, I could see it going either way.

It was a 987 2.7. So around the same sort of price point, but the Z4 had a bit more power, so had the advantage powering out of the corners. It should be noted that they had to stop (racing the cars together on track) in the end because the Z4 started to suffer from brake fade.
    The 987S would probably have kicked the Z4 3.0's butt, but then again, it's more expensive.

Addendum: I apologise - checking the specs, the Z4 only has 231hp.

I've driven several M models including the last version of the M Z3, M3, M Coupe. Also extensively driven a Z4 3.0.

While the Ms are pretty nice cars and are usually outstanding in 1 or 2 areas, they still aren't the complete package a Porsche is. Sure the current M3 and past Ms will power slide all over the place and slam over bumps all day long if that's what you like and to some that may be "fun".

A co-worker of mine just got rid of a 315HP Z3.....couldn't stand the pounding, rattles, electrical and top problems, broken seats, and others.

If BMW does decide to build an M Z4, lets hope they make it a little more refined, with better brakes, and a more thought out suspension. Then it might have a chance against a Cayman.

Interesting how we can compare a car that has not yet been launched with another that also hasn't been launched.

Quote:
    KenH said:
    Interesting how we can compare a car that has not yet been launched with another that also hasn't been launched.

interesting? it is sad and pathetic

Quote:
    wtsnet said:
    Quote:
    DamienL said:

It was a 987 2.7. So around the same sort of price point, but the Z4 had a bit more power, so had the advantage powering out of the corners. It should be noted that they had to stop (racing the cars together on track) in the end because the Z4 started to suffer from brake fade.
    The 987S would probably have kicked the Z4 3.0's butt, but then again, it's more expensive.

Thanks for the info wtsnet.
    The base 987 and Z4 3.0 are so evenly matched, the style of track they were racing on was probably more suited to the Z4.

Quote:

That will change with the facelift due early next year. The Z4 will get 268 HP then.

Quote:
    DamienL said:Thanks for the info wtsnet.
    The base 987 and Z4 3.0 are so evenly matched, the style of track they were racing on was probably more suited to the Z4.

You are most welcome. I agree, at that price point they are well matched. I think they (Jason Plato BWM, Tiff Needell Porsche, both racing drivers) were playing for the cameras a little on that test.

I still think the Boxster is the better car, but the Z4 is pretty good for the price. We'll see how things go when BMW ups the power.... wonder how long before Porshce do the same to retaliate?

let me tune my 987s to 400hp and then ill find someone with z 4mcoupe to do a full fledged track and 0-60 run with me.

Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:
    BMW Z4 in any incarnation = P.O.S.

Couldn't have said it better myself. And I suspect the more power the Z4 gets, the more its inherent deficiencies will be highlighted. I'd rather have a 2.7 Boxster than a Z4 with any amount of power, thankyou very much.

Howdy y'all. I'm not trying to end the discussion, but I just want to thank everybody for all your input.
    I'd like to agree with someone's post and say that: Yes, it's a bit silly to discuss the competition between two cars, neither of them even launched yet (Cayman CS and Z4 M Coupe). But I love to speculate and go into nerdy discussions with other fellow nerds =)

I still feel that the Z4 M can give the Cayman a good run for it's money, and in everyday driving I'm convinced it will give you more bang for your buck. I have to admit that when it comes down to laptimes around a race track, the Cayman will get my vote, but if it's faster I don't think it'll be by very much. One important factor though is tyres, and if any one of the cars come with R-tyres in standard spec, I can pretty much guarantee that the other less fortunate car will be had for breakfast.
    Also, I'm not so sure we should put too much faith in the Cayman's mid-engined layout in advance. A well balanced front engine rear drive car can be just as fast, if not faster, around a track.
    Let me give you an example: Remember Porsche's 968 CS? A sports car magazine here in Sweden has a 10 year old one as their project car. They recently drove it round their track and it was 2,8 seconds faster than a Boxster S (987)!! The laptimes: 1:38.0 for the 968 and 1:40.8 for the Boxster S. An important factor was the tyres, the 968 was sitting on Michelin Pilot Sport Cup. But still, it's 10 years old, lacks 40 hp and is only about 75 kg less than the brand new Boxster S.
    FYI: A 997 Carrera S laps the same track in 1:36.6 (sitting on Michelin Pilot Sport, not the R-tyres).

Frankly the M Z4 track times are of no interest to me. The Z4 coupe is extremely unattractive to my eye, worse than the convertible, and that is enough to pass on it regardless of its attributes or its competitors shortcomings. Hopefully for BMW others may disagree and find the car's aesthetics to their taste.

Quote:
    DaveC said:
    Frankly the M Z4 track times are of no interest to me. The Z4 coupe is extremely unattractive to my eye, worse than the convertible, and that is enough to pass on it regardless of its attributes or its competitors shortcomings. Hopefully for BMW others may disagree and find the car's aesthetics to their taste.

Amen to that.....as I have always said.....no amount of horsepower can overcome ugly!

The above mention of that 968 project car reminds me of how superbly balanced the front engine/rear transaxle Porsches are. The fundamental difference between the 968's layout and the Boxster's is polar moment of inertia. Ultimately (all other variable equalised) the mid engine car will turn quicker (low polar moment of inertia) but will also spin like a top whereas, the high polar moment car might be catchable. For average drivers (like myself) a transaxle car is more forgiving, but for very good drivers, mid engine layouts are typically the best. Excellent design and engineering can make any layout work well (911...) but in the extreme, mid engine is the performance maximizer.

Quote:
    MikeN said:
    Quote:
    DaveC said:

Amen to that.....as I have always said.....no amount of horsepower can overcome ugly!

I actually like the looks of it. It's different. But my wife hates it so we will never see one in our garage. I was thinking that maybe I could convince her to get a Z4 3.0 coupe as her next car, but upon showing her the pics all hopes of that dissapeared.

Quote:
    WAY said:
    Quote:
    MikeN said:
    Quote:
    DaveC said:

I actually like the looks of it. It's different. But my wife hates it so we will never see one in our garage. I was thinking that maybe I could convince her to get a Z4 3.0 coupe as her next car, but upon showing her the pics all hopes of that dissapeared.

I do like the looks of the older Z3 coupe very much....the new one for some reason just went over the edge though....maybe its because there are a few other economy cars that have the same backend treatment today. One thing for sure......my wife hates all of them two!

I think the Lotus Exige will be a better competitor for the Cayman. Though the Cayman is likely to be a better all arounder.....hey, much like the Z4 Coupe may be a better all arounder than the Cayman....

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776715 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441517 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262676 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260817 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85086 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5497 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880525 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815657 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM