Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Bugatti Veyron

Schumi's F2005 must be much quicker than that. If an Enzo can go from 0-100mph in 6.6 seconds, how can an F1 car only go from 0-124mph (200kmh) in 7.3 seconds? The F1 car weighs about 1/3 of what an Enzo weighs and has 50% more power.

Quote:
    Mike S said:
    Quote:
    BluCamSS said:
    It has 987 bhp......
    But does that matter when it's so damn UGLY!!!!

you know when you are walking down the street and you see this couple that walk past you. the guy is decent looking and the girl is just DOG ugly. and you wonder how on earth someone can been seen in public with somebody like that! then you start thinking, well maybe it goes past looks and she's got a great personality and the inner beauty shines through more than physical beauty for that guy. well in this case with the veyron, I'M THAT GUY! with perfomance figures like that i'd drive the car through the middle of milan

You stole the words right from my mouth.
    If people see you they wont be "mmm, that car is ugly", they'll be " Oh [censored] there goes a Bugatti!!!" And the driver will be "mmm, I wonder if that Enzo over there will be able to keep up...Naaaa, i wont waste my fuel on him...mmm, how about that Nascar over there???"

Personally I can't see how the Bugatti can be quicker than Schumi's F2005 which weighs about 550kg and must have about 850bhp vs. the Bugatti which has 1,000bhp yet weighs 1,950kgs. However torque is a huge contributor in this calculation. The magazine is obviously getting its information from somewhere, although from where remains a mystery.

wtf 0-400 in 55 seconds.... no comment

Quote:
    ACP said:
    Personally I can't see how the Bugatti can be quicker than Schumi's F2005 ...

It isn't. 0 - 100 kph for the F1 is about 2.5 sec., 100 - 200 kph is 2.5 sec. as well. It's rather due to traction in first gear. You shouldn't forget though that the Veyron will have better traction of the line - still 2.5 sec. are very, very good numbers. Curious for the first AMS article - I suppose they are amongst the first if they will allow official press articles incl. testnumbers at all!

Absolutely no way the Veyron is "even close" to a F1 car in acceleration to 200kmp. The Veryron is a pig with 1000HP, an F1 weighs 600Kg inc driver and 900HP, but also much much much more traction than a Veyron for several reasons:

- first, the F1 has super soft and sticky F1 race tires, which offer much more traction,

- second, the F1 has less than 3 times the "mass" of the Veyron which really matters when trying to lauch a vehicle, take a sportbike or a Go-Kart for example. The Veyron has got to "move" 2 tons with street tires, its AWD only helps it in gaining some more traction but its a drop in the ocean comparatively speaking.

- third, the F1 has much more sophisticated and driver programable traction control and power delivery.

- and lastly the F1 has a much faster and sophisticated secuential transmision and gear ratios set not for top speed but for acceleration.

From 0-10kmh, everything is similar becuase physics does not allow bigger differences; Veyron, F1 car, Radical SR3, Go-kart, or GSX-R1000 right out of the box, etc are all in the same numbers... but in longer acceleration tests like 0-200km/h the F1 will leave everything like standing still.

0-200km/h in 7.3sec for the Veyron is OK (is what a moded GSR-1000 needs in street tires, 7.9sec in stock form) but I believe a Ferrari F1 just needs 5 roughly seconds.

How does this thing handle though, seems a bit pigish...

I agree, this car is about straight-line performance, a bit sad IMO, what good is 1001HP if it weighs 2 tons? I can't help wonder who will pay the ridiculous sticker price for such a car...

Re: Bugatti Veyron acceleration numbers from CAR Magazine

Believe it or not - it IS faster than the Ferrari F1 car. They said it's on another plane. Here you go:

0-62 2.5s
    0-125 7.3s
    0-188 16.7s
    0-250 55.0s (that's f'ing amazing!!!)
    At top speed, it gets 2.8mpg and empties its gas tank in 20 minutes. They say the combustive energy of the engine adds up to 3,000hp: 1,000 for the engine, 1,000 gets absorbed by the cooling system, and 1,000hp goes through the exhaust apparatus.

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Absolutely no way the Veyron is "even close" to a F1 car in acceleration to 200kmp. The Veryron is a pig with 1000HP, an F1 weighs 600Kg inc driver and 900HP, but also much much much more traction than a Veyron for several reasons:

- first, the F1 has super soft and sticky F1 race tires, which offer much more traction,

- second, the F1 has less than 3 times the "mass" of the Veyron which really matters when trying to lauch a vehicle, take a sportbike or a Go-Kart for example. The Veyron has got to "move" 2 tons with street tires, its AWD only helps it in gaining some more traction but its a drop in the ocean comparatively speaking.

- third, the F1 has much more sophisticated and driver programable traction control and power delivery.

- and lastly the F1 has a much faster and sophisticated secuential transmision and gear ratios set not for top speed but for acceleration.

From 0-10kmh, everything is similar becuase physics does not allow bigger differences; Veyron, F1 car, Radical SR3, Go-kart, or GSX-R1000 right out of the box, etc are all in the same numbers... but in longer acceleration tests like 0-200km/h the F1 will leave everything like standing still.

0-200km/h in 7.3sec for the Veyron is OK (is what a moded GSR-1000 needs in street tires, 7.9sec in stock form) but I believe a Ferrari F1 just needs 5 roughly seconds.

Remember though, as speeds climb, the F1 car's weight advantage rapidly declines because of the significant downforce it generates. By 100mph the F1 car weighs at least as much as the Veyron.

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    I agree, this car is about straight-line performance, a bit sad IMO, what good is 1001HP if it weighs 2 tons? I can't help wonder who will pay the ridiculous sticker price for such a car...

Why does the Veyron weigh so much??? Is it just a huge car?

This thing is fast, believe me, I've ridden in it. The acceleration is relentless, non-stop push push push. Of course, with 1001 hp, you would expect this, but the DSG transmission plays a major role in this too. There's absolutely no lag when shifting. Granted, I don't know how well this thing corners, couldn't do it on public roads. However, I thought the CGT was fast, but this thing is on another planet.

For someone who asked if this car is going to be on sale in the US, the answer is yes. The production run is 300 cars worldwide. MSRP is not set yet, but if we go by the exchange rate, the price translates to roughly 1.3 million USD. If my memory serves me correctly, 5 dealers across the nation have gained exclusive rights to sell the car: New York, Chicago, Arizona, California and (forgot the last one). A $300,000 deposit will start the buying process. You will be flown first-class to France to see the car with seat fitting, pedal adjustment, etc.

If anyone is interested, let me know. hehe. Rusnak in Los Angeles is the dealer in California granted the exclusive right to sell the car. If you put a deposit now, you will be #1.

Cheers,
    -Nick

P.S.: My friend posted pix here: Veyron pix. Most of the pictures are at the bottom.

Wow A430v, you're one lucky bastard.
    Seeing that you drove in one already, do you think the performance justifies the price?? (Although you dont know about its cornering abilities) Just straight line performance, is it really THAT fast?

I rode in it with one of the chief test engineers as the pilot, couldn't drive it. (Just like at Leipzig, you couldn't drive any of the CGTs, even though you're an owner). FAST, YES, it was that fast. Sounded like a jet when the 4 turbos spooled up. However, for that price, hard to say. IMHO, I don't think the car justifies that price. Just my 2 cents. I mean, sitting in it, I didn't feel that special. I feel more special in my CGT seeing all that carbon fiber. hehehe. The Bugatti was all trimmed in leather. And you know what turned me off? The chief engineer was like, this car is easy to drive with the DSG system, anyone can drive it. In my heart I was like, uh huh, yeah...that's what makes the CGT special, NOT anyone can just get in and drive it.

To add more fuel to the fire, just to give you a hint of the car's cornering abilities, since many are wondering...I asked the engineer what times the Veyron was turning at the Ring. Now again, I'm just spreading what I was told, but he said, without trying to smash any record or push the car to 100%, they easily lapped the Ring in about 7:30 mins. Again, just what I heard.

Cheers,
    -Nick

7:30 without pushing...wow
    Then again, like you said, they're only rumours.
    BTW i agree with you about not feeling special in that car. I saw saw pics off the inrerior and i was very dissapointed.
    Then again potential buyers wont be thrown off by that though IMO.

7:30 without pushing...wow
    Then again, like you said, they're only rumours.
    BTW i agree with you about not feeling special in that car. I saw saw pics off the inrerior and i was very dissapointed.
    Then again potential buyers wont be thrown off by that though IMO.

Quote:
    Jeff (in SF) said: Remember though, as speeds climb, the F1 car's weight advantage rapidly declines because of the significant downforce it generates. By 100mph the F1 car weighs at least as much as the Veyron.

I think that's a bit in accurate. The downforce generated by an F1 car varies a bit according the track it's set up for but, on average, generates downforce equal to the cars weight somewhere in the 125mph to 150mh range. Above that speed, the car could be driven on the ceiling, upside down. An F1 car is limited to 600kg including driver so the empty car weighs somewhere around 1170 lbs. F1 cars are currently generating around 950 hp. Now guys, how can a car that weighs 4000 lbs and has 1001 horsepower be as quick as on weighing 1170 with 950 horsepower? I don't think that makes sense.

Quote:
    LowPolarMoment said:
    Quote:
    Jeff (in SF) said: Remember though, as speeds climb, the F1 car's weight advantage rapidly declines because of the significant downforce it generates. By 100mph the F1 car weighs at least as much as the Veyron.

I think that's a bit in accurate. The downforce generated by an F1 car varies a bit according the track it's set up for but, on average, generates downforce equal to the cars weight somewhere in the 125mph to 150mh range. Above that speed, the car could be driven on the ceiling, upside down. An F1 car is limited to 600kg including driver so the empty car weighs somewhere around 1170 lbs. F1 cars are currently generating around 950 hp. Now guys, how can a car that weighs 4000 lbs and has 1001 horsepower be as quick as on weighing 1170 with 950 horsepower? I don't think that makes sense.

I doubt it as well, but lets look at it like this:
    Standing start: F1-lots of launch control electronics etc
    Veyron- 4wd + some electronic aids??

What are the torque figures for the cars?? That can also play an important role

When you look at torque figures, you have to realize that the F-1 engine turns 19,000 rpm (I think they idle at 6,000)and the torque is multiplied by the gearing.

Quote:
    LowPolarMoment said:
    When you look at torque figures, you have to realize that the F-1 engine turns 19,000 rpm (I think they idle at 6,000)and the torque is multiplied by the gearing.

OOOOoooops, never thought about that... Why do they idle so high, isn't it a 'waste' of rpm??

Its not even close to a F1. The F1 has race rubber, 2-3 times better power to weight, 3 times less mass, etc... F1's 0-200km/h(125mph) = 5 secs aprox... compare that to the Bugatti.

The Veyron probably can't even beat an Ultima GTR (which pulls over a second advantage over the Enzo in just 0-100mph), imagine a Formula One car.

Look guys, don't you think that the mere fact we're comparing the Bugatti to a F1 car is a HUGE accomplishment in itself???

Quote:
    BC997J said:
    Look guys, don't you think that the mere fact we're comparing the Bugatti to a F1 car is a HUGE accomplishment in itself???

No, it is a sign of ignorance

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    BC997J said:

No, it is a sign of ignorance

How So???

Quote:
    Mike S said:

I'll pretend I have a flat and pull over

you can't win em all

Isn't it still true that VW is having trouble keeping the quad-T-charged engine, with that >1000HP and near 1000lb-ft torque, properly cooled, with Krakatoa threatening to blow again if the car is operated for more than a few hours? And that the 7-speed DSG gearbox is having trouble handling all that torque?

So Mike, in your SL65AMG, up against the Veyron, maybe it'll be like the tortoise and the hare, as you catch up to the Veyron, parked on the shoulder, hood up, in full eruption.

BTW, is it true Bugatti plans a convertible version? I'd love to see the wind tunnel tests on that baby, top down at >400km/hr!

I also remember articles about the McLaren F1 when it was tested as being quicker than an F1 car once you're above a certain speed (i.e. from maybe 100 to 175 or something like that). In any event, I'm just the messenger - you can read CAR yourself.

16 have been ordered so far by US customers. Both Dave leno and Nicholas Cage have ordered one.

The cars 0-180 mph time is one half that of a Porsche CGT.

Even a Enzo with nitrous injection and a Arizona rocket kit would be left behind.

407 kph Top Speed
    0 to 200 kph in 7.3 seconds
    0 to 300 kph in 16.7 seconds

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    16 have been ordered so far by US customers. Both Dave leno and Nicholas Cage have ordered one.

The cars 0-180 mph time is one half that of a Porsche CGT.

Even a Enzo with nitrous injection and a Arizona rocket kit would be left behind.

LOL
    Lucky Bastards

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777237 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441702 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262780 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260956 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85224 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5571 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880656 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815959 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM