Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

OT: Mac OSX and porsche car configurator

Does anyone else use a MAC and find that the car configurator always crashes half way through the process - often after wheels are chosen and other options are selected.
    I've tried various browsers - Safari, netscape and internet explorer - all seem to suffer from this problem, some even fail to load the initial 'model selection' page.
    Any suggestions as to an alternate browser to use, or browser set up to avoid this problem?

NB: please no suggestions in the vain of "use windows instead"..

Re: OT: Mac OSX and porsche car configurator

I have a G4 and that is correct.
    I don't use the configurator anyway as I find the colors to be misleading.
    Can't think of a solution although I am sure there is one.
    Sorry.

Running an iMac G5 and I find that you have to go through all the tabs in succession (no going back in changing things, which kinda defeats the purpose of the configurator) and it will run okay. However, the interior bits and panoramic views will not work. I just use my Windows PC in the office, works far better.

Sorry, but Windows is the way to go for the PCC.

thanks guys, but still no joy running on an imac g4...

I have the G5 iMac at home and it cannot run the configurator. Windows platform is most certainly how Porsche's IT people created it for reasons we Mac folks will just have to live with.

try firefox

ime, pcc crashes in safari all the time, but it never _crashes_ in firefox (it just doesn't show the pictures) -- this is not a safari bash -- safari is my main browser -- but try firefox on pcc and see if you can get through a configuration:

http://download.mozilla.org/?product=firefox-1.0.6&os=osx&lang=en-US

Re: try firefox

thanks brett - i'll try it

tried firefox, it crashed when i selected the options tab on the configurator.
    guess i'll have to go old school and use the price list, a pencil and calculator!

It doesnt even load on my G4 OSX laptop. Not in Safari or Explorer! Got the car now anyway though!! Not a great marketing tool as there are more Mac users than ever before!

Quote:
    Steve R said:
    It doesnt even load on my G4 OSX laptop. Not in Safari or Explorer! Got the car now anyway though!! Not a great marketing tool as there are more Mac users than ever before!

We're taking over the world slowly but surely :-D

If it's any consolation, I've got Windows NT Professional and Firefox, and I've never been able to "save my configuration." Even worse, some of the items are incosisent -- as one possible example, unless they've fixed it for MY06, you can select the windstop, and then later Bose with windstop, and be charged twice. Similarly, you could select individual items in a deluxe package, then select the deluxe package, and be charged double. But hey, the cars aren't that technologically complicated, right?

well that sucks that firefox didn't work for you guys -- keep hope alive, tho, it can "work" (again, it still doesn't show any pictures of the car):

// i forgot to include the sport steering wheel!

Quote:
    NM said:
    Does anyone else use a MAC and find that the car configurator always crashes half way through the process - often after wheels are chosen and other options are selected.
    I've tried various browsers - Safari, netscape and internet explorer - all seem to suffer from this problem, some even fail to load the initial 'model selection' page.
    Any suggestions as to an alternate browser to use, or browser set up to avoid this problem?

NB: please no suggestions in the vain of "use windows instead"..

Safari sucks, Firefox sucks, Opera sucks and Camino sucks too. I tried them all and always have problems with various websites, including the official Porsche website or their press site. No problems at all with Windows and the IE or even Firefox (Windows version). Strange.

It was my first and my last MAC, never again.
    Based on Unix, it may safe but I had so many problems.
    I use it only for working on videos/pictures now but it was actually a waste of money.

And before somebody starts bragging about Linux: my business webserver is running using Linux, I my private internet webserver runs on Linux, my company server runs on Linux, even the counters. And did I mention that my satellite receiver runs on Linux too?

Believe it or not: I'm still a Windows lover, Windows XP Pro SP2 works great, just make sure you're using the latest drivers and not that old hardware.
    Just can't wait for my Technet Plus Beta of Windows Vista, should arrive soon.

RC,

I think you need couple of more computers .

Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:
    RC,

I think you need couple of more computers .

You should see what is under the left office desk on the picture. Not to forget about my office at the company. I love computers and gadgets and I even started to repair/build them for friends and relatives.
    It is fun but right now I don't have much time.

Cars and computers, that's my thing. Others love alcohol, women and gambling. I think my wife is happy I've chosen the first one.

Nice set up RC - whats all the kit? Gon on, you know you want to tell us

Good choice for the Logitech keyboard- rechargeable mouse Combo...you can upgrade now to the LX700 or the newest BT keyboard with LCD and the laser mouse...

Ok, ok, I have a little vested interest in that..but our customers helped me to purchase the Boxster after all...

Nice setup too, I have a lot of PCs at home, but not that many...

Maxime

Firefox is great - the Porsche Config still is rubbish - must be a software issue?

As many of you guys have Mac pc's G5's etc...can you post your opinions so far of the apple 20" or 23"cinema screen???'...I look forward on having buying one, but only the screen!

I have a 23 HD and it's really cool. I personally thought the price difference is too much from 20 to 23 but when the sales guy demonstrated the HD on 23 and not being able to see the sharp resolution on 20 I decided to opt for the 23.

I'm very happy with it, recommend it strongly.

I sent a note to the contact on their site and this is the non-answer I got back about three weeks later:

"Hello
    We are constantly working to improve our website functionality, and your feedback is of great help to us. Right now, the Car Configurator is not optimized for Apple's Safari browser. While we are constantly optimizing for new browsers, we recommend Internet Explorer for the best experience.

Should there be anything else, please don't hesitate to contact us at 1-800 Porsche

Warm Regards
    The Porsche Response Team"

I sent them a detailed note listing at least six browsers I tried and how they were failing. It is very frustrating to me that they did not even bother to actually respond to my note. The above is obviously a canned response to a complaint they don't see enough to actually do anything about.

Quote:
    Roy (in NH) said:
    I sent a note to the contact on their site and this is the non-answer I got back about three weeks later:

"Hello
    We are constantly working to improve our website functionality, and your feedback is of great help to us. Right now, the Car Configurator is not optimized for Apple's Safari browser. While we are constantly optimizing for new browsers, we recommend Internet Explorer for the best experience.

Should there be anything else, please don't hesitate to contact us at 1-800 Porsche

Warm Regards
    The Porsche Response Team"

I sent them a detailed note listing at least six browsers I tried and how they were failing. It is very frustrating to me that they did not even bother to actually respond to my note. The above is obviously a canned response to a complaint they don't see enough to actually do anything about.

It's simple math. The combination Mac users + potential Porsche buyers is apparently too small for them to bother.
    I'm a Mac freak too, and it pisses me off that I cant configure a car on their site. Think u need Virtual PC 7.0 to make it happen.

RC, that looks like some james Bond villains headquarters.
    You sure you don't have a white persian cat and an urge to take over the world??

Quote:
    Dr. Phil said:
    RC, that looks like some james Bond villains headquarters.
    You sure you don't have a white persian cat and an urge to take over the world??

We've got the same keyboard & mouse Dr. phil
    (the logitech elite keyboard & MX700)

An update:

I tried this again today, and found that they did something to it.

It now works with the following browsers (no 3D stuff though):
    Firefox
    Camino
    OmniWeb (but very slow)

It is now broken in a new way (but still unusable) with:
    Safari
    Opera
    Shiira
    iCab (completely unusable)

The 4 above are browsers based on Apple's webkit.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688440 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408658 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255499 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234748 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65366 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4634 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857536 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773287 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM