Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Porsche short shifter

Well, after 2700 miles on the 06 c2s and completing the break-in (more or less ), the best feature of the car, aside from being a bitchin car, is the PSE. Thank you to all who convinced me to put it on the order!!! Yes the bumb blah blah blah, but the sound.... heaven. The one thing that I think that i miss however is the short shifter. On my boxster I put in the B&M short shifter and loved it. After test driving the 997 I could feel the shorter throw relative to the 996 and my pre mod boxster so I figured that that would be enough for me. Well, I have the feeling that it is not short enough. Does anyone have the 997 porsche short shift option (it is supposed to be better now than when I chose the B&M 3 years ago, right?) or do you recomend the B&M? Thanks all

Re: Porsche short shifter

i have the porsche short shifter and its a blast!!

Sport shifter is a must!

Quote:
    mikekenzo said:...the best feature of the car, aside from being a bitchin car, is the PSE. Thank you to all who convinced me to put it on the order!!! Yes the bumb blah blah blah, but the sound.... heaven. ...

i believe this is the part where we say...

WE TOLD YOU SO glad you're enjoying it!

I have tried both ...... and I much prefer the short shifter,even if it's slightly harder.

I just had the short shifter installed on my 2005 997 Cab --after having read all the posts and having driven the car 2800 miles with the standard shifter. It cost me about $1K (NYC dealer), but it's worth every penny. A major difference. Frankly, I don't understand why the shorter shifter isn't standard.

Short shifter rocks. I drove both, it is very 'notchy' and that is a good thing. You can work the gears hard with confidence, I never get the feeling I may not be fully in gear, etc.. IMO, effortless.. maybe my second favorite option after PSE

The only "bad" thing about the short shifter is that it's so easy to get use to having that you don't realize you have it anymore. The PSE, on the other hand, you notice long after you get the option. The short shift, you have to pay attention that you have it to notice it. Hope that makes sense.

Quote:
    am said:
    I just had the short shifter installed on my 2005 997 Cab --after having read all the posts and having driven the car 2800 miles with the standard shifter. It cost me about $1K (NYC dealer), but it's worth every penny. A major difference. Frankly, I don't understand why the shorter shifter isn't standard.

You paid $1000 for a $200 part + an hour labor?????

Boy, what color is your turnip truck?

I think the short shifter is a must have mod, but it is not worth $1000, maybe $300 for the mechanically inept, and $200 for those that know what a screwdriver is.

If you paid that much, you probably would pay $1000 for the 15K oil change.

Any idea where I could find installation instructions on-line for either the porsche short shifter or the B&M version? Also, between the porsche part and the B&M, any recommendations?

Porsche vs. B&M short shifter

Both the B&M and Porsche parts are essentially the same item. B&M is the supplier for the Porsche part. The main difference between the B&M and Porsche assembly is that the B&M shifter reuses the shifter carrier bracket, while the Porsche part comes installed in a new carrier bracket and costs twice as much (That is because of overhead and cost of sales, not that it is any better). I have the B&M part, and installed it in under an hour. I highly recommend it.

Here is the install PDF for the B&M part. The instructions list only up to 2003 models because the PDF has not been updated with newer model years.

Lastly, some people recommend the Porsche shifter because they are concerned that their warranty will be compromised by using the B&M shifter. Using the B&M shifter will in no-way void the new car warranty on your Porsche. That rumor is along the same lines of the one about getting pregnant by sitting on a public toilet seat.

Re: Porsche vs. B&M short shifter

Wow, you did all of that in an hour!! While handy, I just have this underlying fear that I will take it apart, get it all messed up and then have to have the car towed from my garage... . I am surprised to hear that not only does B&M produces the part for porsche, but that they are the same part in different boxes (minus the bracket) because the two cars that I drove, one with B&M (mine) one porsche (friends) that they were quite different. Also, they both had similar amounts of use at the time the comparison was made.

OK, Ok, No offense guys, really. Buuuut, the 997 shifter is supposed to be vastly superior from 996 and 986 according to experts. My 986S does NOT compare to my 997S shifter-wise. 997/S is great.I seem to remember the 997 shifter described as a "dream come true" and "perfection" by car mag reviewers who know more than I do.

So while the raves for the change between shifters in "old" cars were justified, I wonder if current raving for "upgrade" of the 997 shifter is warrented. Maybe it's a psychological, consumer loyalty effect; i.e. once guys get the expensive unit they're gonna be ardent supporters of it.

Again, I don;t want to mess anybody up.I just can't imagine that the differenc is THAT impressive; as it was on the 996.

Hey -- Handyman. Even assuming you are correct that: (1) the Porsche shifter is only $200; and (2) it only takes an hour to install, (and you are wrong on both points), I still don't feel like I paid too much. There is only 1 Manhattan dealer, I'm not about to have anyone else touch my car, and for 1K I'd rather not deal with the loss of my already-limited free time and all the aggrevation. But thank's for your input. Now go take your meds.

Quote:
    am said:
    Hey -- Handyman. Even assuming you are correct that: (1) the Porsche shifter is only $200; and (2) it only takes an hour to install, (and you are wrong on both points), I still don't feel like I paid too much. There is only 1 Manhattan dealer, I'm not about to have anyone else touch my car, and for 1K I'd rather not deal with the loss of my already-limited free time and all the aggrevation. But thank's for your input. Now go take your meds.

Am,

Who did you deal with at Manhattan Motorcars?

Matthew Bechard -- I think he may be new. It was the first time I've dealt with him. Prior to that, I've dealt with Mike Ghiris.

Are you guys talking about the shifter that's optional for $765 or something different?

Am I only one who likes std shifter more than short one? I've tried both and happy that I use std one. I enjoy moving the shifter, if it is too short no time to enojoy.

I had even shorter one on other car before, it was great for track days. But for my C2S, I try to enojoy "slow" life. lol

Quote:
    am said:

I am glad to see that the NYC types are still so busy that their fiscal sense has not caught up with their sense of self-imprortance. You sound just like the kind of guy that would also be interested in a $1000 oil change. (Make sure your dealer gives offers you the complimentary gold chain cleaning too! )

And you don't have to assume that I am correct, you can be assured of it.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    OK, Ok, No offense guys, really. Buuuut, the 997 shifter is supposed to be vastly superior from 996 and 986 according to experts. My 986S does NOT compare to my 997S shifter-wise.

So while the raves for the change between shifters in "old" cars were justified, I wonder if current raving for "upgrade" of the 997 shifter is warrented. Maybe it's a psychological, consumer loyalty effect; i.e. once guys get the expensive unit they're gonna be ardent supporters of it.

Again, I don;t want to mess anybody up.I just can't imagine that the differenc is THAT impressive; as it was on the 996.

To your point about the difference in feel in the shifting between the stock 997 and 996 or 986, remember the 997 now has a Japanese Aisin transaxle with different shift cables, not the old Gertag unit. And believe it or not, even though the shift lever assembly on the 997 has a 997 P/N it is essentially the same as the 996 shifter (they are interchangeable). So if there is a better feel to the stock 997 shifting, it is probably because of the new transmission and shift cables, not the shift lever. I have not yet driven a 997 with the short shifter installed, but am very interested in trying one.

Quote:
    tori said:
    Am I only one who likes std shifter more than short one? I've tried both and happy that I use std one. I enjoy moving the shifter, if it is too short no time to enojoy.

No, you are one of at least three: MMD, you and me
    And I also tried both. The force needed to get first and second gear in during the first 5 minutes was a catastrophy when I tested the short shifter on a cold day back in April. That's not tolerable for a daily driver and frequent traffic jams. Later on and for higher gears I liked the short shifter but like you I prefer longer throws. It feels more like actually doing something. If the throws are getting shorter and shorter it finally is like pressing the shift button of a tip

Quote:
    mikekenzo said:
    I am surprised to hear that not only does B&M produces the part for porsche, but that they are the same part in different boxes (minus the bracket) because the two cars that I drove, one with B&M (mine) one porsche (friends) that they were quite different. Also, they both had similar amounts of use at the time the comparison was made.

mikekenzo, what do you mean??

B&M and Porsche short shifter are the same ??

After i installed the Porsche short shifter, i kept wondering if B&M was shorter or even if Techart's short shifter was shorter...

Did you drive both cars one with B&M and other with Porsche short Shifter??

What is your opinion ???

Had my car in for some bits and bobs, oil change, etc, etc and whilst it was in I enquired about the Sport Shifter I saw in the latest christophorus mag.

Before I knew it, I'd decided to go for it.

Anyway my thoughts after having had the excellent standard manual shifter for 9 months (4000 miles) going to the sports one...

Firstly, despite what Porsche officially say, the sport shift does not increase shifting effort when cold. In fact the box feels smoother and I no longer get the notchy feeling I sometimes had when going into first gear on the standard box.

The shorter throw definitely makes it more fun to drive, even more so if you're in a "spirited driving" moment, as the slightly faster gear changes means you are back on the gas that little bit sooner. Bottom line is I recommend it.

Cost me Pounds380 all inclusive of labour and tax.

Dilinger, Orient Express stated that B&M produced the part for Porsche previously (and that, according to him, they were the same). As to what was shorter, I thought that the B&M was shorter than the Porsche short shifter in the 996. Not the 997. My question is the same as yours at this point, what is smoother/shorter in the 997; the B&M or the Porsche. I personally do not think that the B&M SS is the exact same as the Porsche SS, but that has no real basis, particularily in the 997.

Quote:
    mikekenzo said:
    I personally do not think that the B&M SS is the exact same as the Porsche SS, but that has no real basis, particularily in the 997.

According to common knowledge on Porsche boards it *is* the exact same unit in the 996 and 986 era.

Meaning: Porsche gets the units from B&M and installs them at the factory.

Quote:
    ewi said:
    Quote:
    tori said:

No, you are one of at least three: MMD, you and me
    And I also tried both. The force needed to get first and second gear in during the first 5 minutes was a catastrophy when I tested the short shifter on a cold day back in April. That's not tolerable for a daily driver and frequent traffic jams. Later on and for higher gears I liked the short shifter but like you I prefer longer throws. It feels more like actually doing something. If the throws are getting shorter and shorter it finally is like pressing the shift button of a tip

LOL!! Infinite shortness DOES equal a Tip!

FWIW, I never compared SS vs. stock on a 997. I do know from experience that the 997 shifter is waaaaay nicer than the 996/986. I also "know" from reviews by guys who know more than I do that the 997 stock unit is an extremely good unit.

Though the SS is waaaay better than stock for the 996/986 (I actually owned one); that was because the 996 units sucked.

So, if the 997 unit is superb, how can it be improved upon? I said before that this need to "upgrade" the 997 may be some sort of atavism from the 996/986 era where the upgrade was quite justified/warrented.

Quote:
    wmondo said:
    Any idea where I could find installation instructions on-line for either the porsche short shifter or the B&M version? Also, between the porsche part and the B&M, any recommendations?

Yes, I have installed both the B&M and later the porsche short shifter (dealer did not like the idea of the B&M shifter because it is not OEM on the 997). Conclusion: the B&M has a MUCH shorter throw (too much for some folks) but real fun to use. I had issues with 3rd to 4th throw and had to enter 4th at just the right angle when shifting quickly but it was an early model B&M shifter and rumor has it that the newer ones are improved. Stick with the OEM Short shifter (not the same) even though its got plastic parts, it is much smoother and I beleive the plastic is used instead of metal for good reason (not just cost). Also give both shifters time to break in before passing judgment (about 1000 miles). If something goes wrong with your tranny and the shifter is the culprit (namely the B&M) prepare to shell out big$$$$$$ because warranty might be compromised. This is direct advise from PCNA, so take it for what its worth. For me, its not worth the hassles so do the OEM unit and be done with it. Its a little shorter throw than stock and should be standard in my opinion, at least in the "S". If I were a track guy and warranty issues not a problem, choice would be the B&M unit. By the way the B&M unit is the SAME OEM part used in the 996 SS model so PCNA might have reason to think that the new tranny from Japan shifts differently than the German one in the 996???? I don't have any answers but just pass on their advise (almost 1 year ago).

Quote:
    mikekenzo said:
    Dilinger, Orient Express stated that B&M produced the part for Porsche previously (and that, according to him, they were the same). As to what was shorter, I thought that the B&M was shorter than the Porsche short shifter in the 996. Not the 997. My question is the same as yours at this point, what is smoother/shorter in the 997; the B&M or the Porsche. I personally do not think that the B&M SS is the exact same as the Porsche SS, but that has no real basis, particularily in the 997.

Remember, while the B&M SS is the same as the Porsche unit, and both units will fit the 996 and 997, the transmission and the shift cables on the 997 are different, thus the different feel.

i have the porsche short shifter on my 997S its great and u SHOULD fix it , go 4 it man

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777658 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441875 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262852 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261070 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85333 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5620 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880733 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816180 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM