Crown

Board: AMG Mercedes Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Sl facelift & 63Amg infos?????

Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:
    Quote:
    Mike S said:
    Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:
    You know, you were a nice guy until you brought that up.

LOL

hahaha, what about this one?!

Here's a better idea, take a picture of the sticker with the car that indicates its curb weight

bleah!

at least i've got the noble! that car is only 2300 lbs!

i would drive an sl65 any day, if and only if, i had the balls to buy one. For its price id rather buy a ferrai or gallardo.

I gotta give it to you mike, sl65 is the ultimate luxury GT car. It demands respect

i would drive an sl65 any day, if and only if, i had the balls to buy one. For its price id rather buy a ferrai or gallardo.

I gotta give it to you mike, sl65 is the ultimate luxury GT car. It demands respect

Quote:
    amir sarmad said:

reason why i took this one amir was because i have a 430 spider on the way anyways, not much else I could go for

plus i really like SL's, very comfy and fast!!! plus you don't see many SL's around here as you would other places in the world. the base SL500 costs $150,000 USD here

Quote:
    amir sarmad said:

reason why i took this one amir was because i have a 430 spider on the way anyways, not much else I could go for

plus i really like SL's, very comfy and fast!!! plus you don't see many SL's around here as you would other places in the world. the base SL500 costs $150,000 USD here

Quote:
    Mike S said:
    Quote:
    amir sarmad said:

Lincoln Towncars are comfortable

Quote:
    Mike S said:
    Quote:
    amir sarmad said:

Lincoln Towncars are comfortable

yeah, but not insanely fast on a straight line

yeah, but not insanely fast on a straight line

Think the Sl63 will be naturally aspirated, same as ML63.

I've got an SL500 which the wife mainly drives, pop the abcsport button to reduce the body roll, handles fine, ironically most porsche drivers would be quicker in one of these as it's easier to drive hard.

An Sl500 may only have 90% of the performance of the porsche, 95% of the grip and be a bit slower through a slalom due to the weight transfer, but it's much easier exploit nearly all of its abilities than the porsche.

We had two porkers in a row but picked this over a 997, as it was 90% of the fun, 150% as comfortable, more forgiving particularly in bad weather and more practical too.

997 is the better for the track or the winding alpine road (as long as you know what your doing), but for the other 95% of the time you own the car the SL's a better car to drive and you'll still get 90% of the fun down that alpine road.

I've got an SL500 which the wife mainly drives, pop the abcsport button to reduce the body roll, handles fine, ironically most porsche drivers would be quicker in one of these as it's easier to drive hard.

An Sl500 may only have 90% of the performance of the porsche, 95% of the grip and be a bit slower through a slalom due to the weight transfer, but it's much easier exploit nearly all of its abilities than the porsche.

We had two porkers in a row but picked this over a 997, as it was 90% of the fun, 150% as comfortable, more forgiving particularly in bad weather and more practical too.

997 is the better for the track or the winding alpine road (as long as you know what your doing), but for the other 95% of the time you own the car the SL's a better car to drive and you'll still get 90% of the fun down that alpine road.

Quote:
    McJumJum said:

I think your percentages are way off, for the Benz, it's more like 40% of the performance, 10% of the grip, and 50328452% of the weight. A Porsche is also 500%+ more fun to drive, 1000% better to look at over that conservative Daimler styling.

While I am picking up models, the Mercedes driver in the other lane is picking up 50 year old single mother divorcees with 4 kids. The only thing I'll give you is the comfort factor. Porsches have a stiff ride, but in the a winding road environment, I wouldn't feel comfortable in a Mercedes at all.

Mercedes feel comfortable at 30mph going from apartment to apartment in the city, and that's it.

Quote:
    McJumJum said:

I think your percentages are way off, for the Benz, it's more like 40% of the performance, 10% of the grip, and 50328452% of the weight. A Porsche is also 500%+ more fun to drive, 1000% better to look at over that conservative Daimler styling.

While I am picking up models, the Mercedes driver in the other lane is picking up 50 year old single mother divorcees with 4 kids. The only thing I'll give you is the comfort factor. Porsches have a stiff ride, but in the a winding road environment, I wouldn't feel comfortable in a Mercedes at all.

Mercedes feel comfortable at 30mph going from apartment to apartment in the city, and that's it.

Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:
    Quote:
    McJumJum said:

Highly doubt either P/Merc is very useful for picking up models....

However, a topless Gayman (aka Boxster) may attract all the male models.....not that there's anything wrong w/that....

Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:
    Quote:
    McJumJum said:

However, a topless Gayman (aka Boxster) may attract all the male models.....not that there's anything wrong w/that....

Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:

i disagree with you there we are talking about the SL here, not C or S class Mercs! the SL-AMG's performance can be as good as any porsche. Grip and weight... well I can't argue there, but it's not worlds apart!

the SL(the AMG models of course) is one of the most beautiful cars out there IMO - titanium grey rims with the silver slits on the bonnet and the side of the car is a bit on the far side of conservative(so long as the car isn't silver ), don't you think? it turns way more heads than the carrera

Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:

i disagree with you there we are talking about the SL here, not C or S class Mercs! the SL-AMG's performance can be as good as any porsche. Grip and weight... well I can't argue there, but it's not worlds apart!

the SL(the AMG models of course) is one of the most beautiful cars out there IMO - titanium grey rims with the silver slits on the bonnet and the side of the car is a bit on the far side of conservative(so long as the car isn't silver ), don't you think? it turns way more heads than the carrera

Quote:
    Mike S said:
    Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:

Here in NY, Mercedes are everywhere, I mean everywhere - chauffer driven cars, limosines - they are all the same (it doesn't help that Mercedes makes it so that every car in their line up looks almost the same on the front end). The only Mercedes that would probably turn heads here would be a SLR McLaren. You see an S Class here, you automatically assume the license plate says "T&LC" or "Livery", you see a CLK here, you almost always see a club meathead driving it with techno music, an E class is as ubiquitous as yellow taxi cabs, and don't even get me started on the C classes that get converted into rice rockets by morons from the Bronx. The point is, nobody can tell the difference (for the most part) between Mercedes' models. If they do manage to turn their head and notice that it's an SL, it's usually for about a second, and then they hear a loud SPORTS-CAR (read: Porsche) and they turn their head away from the tank-cruiser sports-car wanna be.

Porsches are drawn up from the first day they are conceived to be sports cars, AMG models try and make their models "sporty" by jacking meaningless horsepower up and putting on larger disc brakes and putting on that AMG badge which can be found on NON-AMG models with AMG styling packages! Lots of room for pretension.

As for my percentages, multiply them by two, that may make more sense

Oh and Mike, for God's sakes just turn your avatar into that American Three-Pointed Star, or better yet, make it a picture of Daimler's "Just as Good as Germany" American manufacturing plant in the Carolinas. <--- that's me waving in my rear view mirror at a Mercedes

Quote:
    Mike S said:
    Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:

Here in NY, Mercedes are everywhere, I mean everywhere - chauffer driven cars, limosines - they are all the same (it doesn't help that Mercedes makes it so that every car in their line up looks almost the same on the front end). The only Mercedes that would probably turn heads here would be a SLR McLaren. You see an S Class here, you automatically assume the license plate says "T&LC" or "Livery", you see a CLK here, you almost always see a club meathead driving it with techno music, an E class is as ubiquitous as yellow taxi cabs, and don't even get me started on the C classes that get converted into rice rockets by morons from the Bronx. The point is, nobody can tell the difference (for the most part) between Mercedes' models. If they do manage to turn their head and notice that it's an SL, it's usually for about a second, and then they hear a loud SPORTS-CAR (read: Porsche) and they turn their head away from the tank-cruiser sports-car wanna be.

Porsches are drawn up from the first day they are conceived to be sports cars, AMG models try and make their models "sporty" by jacking meaningless horsepower up and putting on larger disc brakes and putting on that AMG badge which can be found on NON-AMG models with AMG styling packages! Lots of room for pretension.

As for my percentages, multiply them by two, that may make more sense

Oh and Mike, for God's sakes just turn your avatar into that American Three-Pointed Star, or better yet, make it a picture of Daimler's "Just as Good as Germany" American manufacturing plant in the Carolinas. <--- that's me waving in my rear view mirror at a Mercedes

Quote:
    VKSF said:
    Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:
    Quote:
    McJumJum said:

Sadly, that has happened on more than one occasion when leaving the gym and uhh, homosexual men seeing me walking to my 987S, it's an odd feeling. But it works well with women too - I always get them on the proper pronounciation of Porsche, and where the word Boxster is derived from.

Models are so easy to please.

Quote:
    VKSF said:
    Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:
    Quote:
    McJumJum said:

Sadly, that has happened on more than one occasion when leaving the gym and uhh, homosexual men seeing me walking to my 987S, it's an odd feeling. But it works well with women too - I always get them on the proper pronounciation of Porsche, and where the word Boxster is derived from.

Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:
    Quote:
    VKSF said:
    Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:
    Quote:
    McJumJum said:

The Gayman/Boxster may be a great handling car, but it's a secretary's car in SilicVy/hairdresser's car in SF/16 yo chick's B-day gift in Woodside/Greenwich.....

Lots of guys who have 430/CGT/Enzo as wkend toys choose to commute via S65/600 and driver in NYC/Greenwich or SL65 in SilicVy....

Gotta personally drive SL55/65 vs 996TTS vs 430 hard and back-to-back in curves to really draw rational conclusions; don't rely on preconceived notions/car mag reviews....just as many are amazed how a 4300lb 612 drives as well as it does in the curves, many jaded guys (who also own every F/P they want) have been similarly amazed by the 4300lb+ SL55/65's.....thus, many SilicVy/Greenwich billionaire car nuts are most often seen driving around in their 55/65's, despite the Merc being one of the cheaper, more plebeian cars in their fleets....

What's always funny is what cars guys w/sub-$100K cars envision driving in their fantasy world of the uber-rich and what cars actual uber-rich car nuts often choose to own and most often drive, despite having any orgasmic, "exclusive" car they want in their garage.....

Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:
    Quote:
    VKSF said:
    Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:
    Quote:
    McJumJum said:

The Gayman/Boxster may be a great handling car, but it's a secretary's car in SilicVy/hairdresser's car in SF/16 yo chick's B-day gift in Woodside/Greenwich.....

Lots of guys who have 430/CGT/Enzo as wkend toys choose to commute via S65/600 and driver in NYC/Greenwich or SL65 in SilicVy....

Gotta personally drive SL55/65 vs 996TTS vs 430 hard and back-to-back in curves to really draw rational conclusions; don't rely on preconceived notions/car mag reviews....just as many are amazed how a 4300lb 612 drives as well as it does in the curves, many jaded guys (who also own every F/P they want) have been similarly amazed by the 4300lb+ SL55/65's.....thus, many SilicVy/Greenwich billionaire car nuts are most often seen driving around in their 55/65's, despite the Merc being one of the cheaper, more plebeian cars in their fleets....

What's always funny is what cars guys w/sub-$100K cars envision driving in their fantasy world of the uber-rich and what cars actual uber-rich car nuts often choose to own and most often drive, despite having any orgasmic, "exclusive" car they want in their garage.....

Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:
    Here in NY, Mercedes are everywhere, I mean everywhere

Forgive me, I don't live in a 1st world country, I'm from a 3rd world. We still see Mercedes here, but not all that often(remember that the SL's base price starts at 150k US dollars here) and with a 150k you could buy a ferrari/lambo in the states, so technically everytime i see a SL i should imagine it could've been worth a ferrari/lambo in NY...

Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:
    they are all the same (it doesn't help that Mercedes makes it so that every car in their line up looks almost the same on the front end).

Can't the same be said for Porsche's front end? To the untrained eye they all look the same too. Same vice versa for Mercedes. Although I can distinguish both marques different models from the front pretty easily.

Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:
    The only Mercedes that would probably turn heads here would be a SLR McLaren.

We can't get the SLR here due to LHD cars being illegal, although some people here have them in their homes overseas.

Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:
    You see an S Class here, you automatically assume the license plate says "T&LC" or "Livery", you see a CLK here, you almost always see a club meathead driving it with techno music, an E class is as ubiquitous as yellow taxi cabs, and don't even get me started on the C classes that get converted into rice rockets by morons from the Bronx.

Once again, that's because cars are cheap as dirt. For the same money people pay for a E class here, they could buy a S55 in the states

Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:
    If they do manage to turn their head and notice that it's an SL, it's usually for about a second, and then they hear a loud SPORTS-CAR (read: Porsche) and they turn their head away from the tank-cruiser sports-car wanna be.

You said "loud" sports car, well please forgive me, but my 997 sounded nothing near a sports car until I had the PSE retrofitted after a couple months.

Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:

Well, I highly doubt a Cayenne was drawn up to be a sports car, but then I also find nothing wrong with Porsche going into another market. Now why can't, Mercedes do the same? Go into the sports car market? Ever heard of something called evolution?

Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:
    Oh and Mike, for God's sakes just turn your avatar into that American Three-Pointed Star, or better yet, make it a picture of Daimler's "Just as Good as Germany" American manufacturing plant in the Carolinas.

So you are saying that America can't manufacture things as well as they can in Germany? So much for having pride in your own country. My old X5 4.4 was made in the states and I was very very happy with it, I don't see anything wrong with cars being made out of the place of origin, so long as the quality is as good.

Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:
    <--- that's me waving in my rear view mirror at a Mercedes

I'd like to see you try wave at me in your 987 when I'm in my 65

My conclusion, I have nothing wrong with specifically the "SL" class, I wouldn't dare buy another type of Merc. I also love my Porsches just as much. Why can't you just have peace of mind with both?

ps. no hard feelings, just good old fashion debating

Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:
    Here in NY, Mercedes are everywhere, I mean everywhere

Forgive me, I don't live in a 1st world country, I'm from a 3rd world. We still see Mercedes here, but not all that often(remember that the SL's base price starts at 150k US dollars here) and with a 150k you could buy a ferrari/lambo in the states, so technically everytime i see a SL i should imagine it could've been worth a ferrari/lambo in NY...

Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:
    they are all the same (it doesn't help that Mercedes makes it so that every car in their line up looks almost the same on the front end).

Can't the same be said for Porsche's front end? To the untrained eye they all look the same too. Same vice versa for Mercedes. Although I can distinguish both marques different models from the front pretty easily.

Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:
    The only Mercedes that would probably turn heads here would be a SLR McLaren.

We can't get the SLR here due to LHD cars being illegal, although some people here have them in their homes overseas.

Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:
    You see an S Class here, you automatically assume the license plate says "T&LC" or "Livery", you see a CLK here, you almost always see a club meathead driving it with techno music, an E class is as ubiquitous as yellow taxi cabs, and don't even get me started on the C classes that get converted into rice rockets by morons from the Bronx.

Once again, that's because cars are cheap as dirt. For the same money people pay for a E class here, they could buy a S55 in the states

Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:
    If they do manage to turn their head and notice that it's an SL, it's usually for about a second, and then they hear a loud SPORTS-CAR (read: Porsche) and they turn their head away from the tank-cruiser sports-car wanna be.

You said "loud" sports car, well please forgive me, but my 997 sounded nothing near a sports car until I had the PSE retrofitted after a couple months.

Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:

Well, I highly doubt a Cayenne was drawn up to be a sports car, but then I also find nothing wrong with Porsche going into another market. Now why can't, Mercedes do the same? Go into the sports car market? Ever heard of something called evolution?

Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:
    Oh and Mike, for God's sakes just turn your avatar into that American Three-Pointed Star, or better yet, make it a picture of Daimler's "Just as Good as Germany" American manufacturing plant in the Carolinas.

So you are saying that America can't manufacture things as well as they can in Germany? So much for having pride in your own country. My old X5 4.4 was made in the states and I was very very happy with it, I don't see anything wrong with cars being made out of the place of origin, so long as the quality is as good.

Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:
    <--- that's me waving in my rear view mirror at a Mercedes

My conclusion, I have nothing wrong with specifically the "SL" class, I wouldn't dare buy another type of Merc. I also love my Porsches just as much. Why can't you just have peace of mind with both?

Quote:
    Mike S said:

Now if I switched cars to my 911 Turbo where would you be?

And also, FYI - I'll place my money on a 987S on a twisty road vs. any Mercedes except the SLR.

Debating is cool.

Quote:
    Mike S said:

And also, FYI - I'll place my money on a 987S on a twisty road vs. any Mercedes except the SLR.

Debating is cool.

Quote:
    VKSF said:

nuts are most often seen driving around in their 55/65's, despite the Merc being one of the cheaper, more plebeian cars in their fleets....

My family has an extensive collection of AMG models, most notably the S65 and SL55 and I don't know how to put this...but it's like having sex with a condom on. Dull, numb, and devoid of any fun

I'll stick to the true sportscars - Porsche and Ferrari. I'll send the maid to the Mercedes dealership to pick people up at the train station. LOL

No hard feelings

Quote:
    VKSF said:

nuts are most often seen driving around in their 55/65's, despite the Merc being one of the cheaper, more plebeian cars in their fleets....

My family has an extensive collection of AMG models, most notably the S65 and SL55 and I don't know how to put this...but it's like having sex with a condom on. Dull, numb, and devoid of any fun

I'll stick to the true sportscars - Porsche and Ferrari. I'll send the maid to the Mercedes dealership to pick people up at the train station. LOL

No hard feelings

Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:

Debating is cool.

911 turbo will not leave a 65 behind

And why is it that "twisty" roads must always come into the equation? It's like saying "Oh um... your pe**s bigger than mine, BUT it's more how you use it that counts", bottom line, bigger is bigger who cares if you know how to use it or not. In urban driving, hardly any of the roads are twisty. So who gives a crap if the 987 might be able to pull away from the 65 on a "twisty" road

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    774537 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    440165 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261976 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260247 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    84797 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5442 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

879252 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    814041 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM