Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: the Ferrari F430 and Porsche Carrera S

Quote:
    BC997J said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    bostonmini said:
    ...the benchmark is the gallardo. any 911 is a different type of sports car, heavily swayed more towards a ferrari mid engined..but with a hint of traditional 4 seat coupe:)

Love the Gallardo but it's hardly the benchmark imo.
    Not nearly as fantastic looking and exciting to drive as the 430 and not nearly as useable as an everyday sports car like a 996 Turbo.
    Have to admit with the way the Gallardo PRE-owned prices have fallen I've been toying with the idea of buying one instead of a 997 Turbo to use everyday. This week on F-cat some guy offered his E-gear w/ a couple of thousand miles for $145k. Said he was offering at that price because that's what he is being offfered in trade. The Gallardo for the price of a Turbo S. If only the Gallardo Spider was already out and out long enough to buy cheaply.

WHAT!? Not nearly as fantastic looking!??? Look, peoples opinions differ greatly but the the F430 looks positively pedestrian compared to a Gallardo!

I don't know if you've seen them side by side in person or driven next to them in person but imo it's the other way around. In person the 430 makes the Gallardo look very short and stuby. And the Gallardo is no where near as wide looking as the 430. Don't know the dimensions off hand just an observation when they're parked next to one another. Besides the overall appearance the curvaceous,
    swooping style of the 430 is mountains above the Gallardo's cut and slash angular body lines. But looks is higly subjective. It would be an interesting poll to see what other people think. It's obvious by the market that the 430 is a more highly sort after car.

I created a poll on the Sports car board.
    F430 vs. Gallardo - which do you like better ?

please vote your preference.

BC997J,

How do you compare the looks/styling of the interiors of the 430 vs. the Gallardo ?

Carrera S is the way to go imo.

Looks only (haven't driven the F430 yet, enjoyed the passenger seat though ; haven't been inside a Gallardo):

1. 996TSCab (I hope P doesn't "blow it" cosmetically with the 997TT )
    2. F430 (a very close second, I might add, with the Spider 2a.)
    3. Gallardo-just personal tastes, the lines are TOO exotic, too otherworldly for my buttoned down tastes.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    BC997J,

How do you compare the looks/styling of the interiors of the 430 vs. the Gallardo ?

Hey Stradale.. Sorry for taking so long to reply.
    Yes, I've seen the two stand side by side. I have to agree with you, next to the Italian Stallian the Bull does looks very short, 'stumpy', if you will, and not as wide. But Boy, in yellow(the F was red) the Gallardo looks worlds better. The Ferrari looks much more feminine (which apeals to some), while the Lambo looks so much more aggresive, and more Muasculine. I personally love the slashes, cuts, sharp edges that makew the Gallardo. Yes, this is all in my oppinion, many will differ, but to me it's a no brainer. The Lambo is a better looking car.
    When I saw the F430 for the first time, I was really dissapointed. A Stradale, like your's, looks better to me.(And sounds way better)

As far a sound comparo between the two, even while idling(??), the Gallardo is better. I have not heard the F430 at full cry, but I have heard the Gallardo...AMAZING. The Gallardo was driving just in front of a Murci, and to hear the 2 going full steam down a track is a experience you'll never forget.

One thing about the Lambo that I hate...The fact that some of the switchgear is from Audi A4 parts. In a car that expensive, you MUST feel special. Besides that, the Gallardo is perfect IMO.

Quote:
    When I saw the F430 for the first time, I was really dissapointed.

Sorry... About the interiors... I wish i could say the Lambo, but the Ferraris is better. More special. Like I said in my previous post, the Gallardo uses some A4 parts, It's not that special inside as well. The Ferrari, well if you sit in one, you know you're sittimg in a Ferrari. It's a experience all on it's own. It's better designed, looks better and even smells better.(seriously)

So yes, I dont want to say this, but as far as interiors go, the F430 has a (much) better one...

Quote:
    Al Pettee said:
    Looks only (haven't driven the F430 yet, enjoyed the passenger seat though ; haven't been inside a Gallardo):

1. 996TSCab (I hope P doesn't "blow it" cosmetically with the 997TT )
    2. F430 (a very close second, I might add, with the Spider 2a.)
    3. Gallardo-just personal tastes, the lines are TOO exotic, too otherworldly for my buttoned down tastes.

Hope they don't blow it too. Kinda worried about that. It's the EXACT reason I've been looking at the Gallardo as plan B for an everyday car.

Quote:
    BC997J said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    BC997J,

Hey Stradale.. Sorry for taking so long to reply.
    Yes, I've seen the two stand side by side. I have to agree with you, next to the Italian Stallian the Bull does looks very short, 'stumpy', if you will, and not as wide. But Boy, in yellow(the F was red) the Gallardo looks worlds better. The Ferrari looks much more feminine (which apeals to some), while the Lambo looks so much more aggresive, and more Muasculine. I personally love the slashes, cuts, sharp edges that makew the Gallardo. Yes, this is all in my oppinion, many will differ, but to me it's a no brainer. The Lambo is a better looking car.
    When I saw the F430 for the first time, I was really dissapointed. A Stradale, like your's, looks better to me.(And sounds way better)

As far a sound comparo between the two, even while idling(??), the Gallardo is better. I have not heard the F430 at full cry, but I have heard the Gallardo...AMAZING. The Gallardo was driving just in front of a Murci, and to hear the 2 going full steam down a track is a experience you'll never forget.

One thing about the Lambo that I hate...The fact that some of the switchgear is from Audi A4 parts. In a car that expensive, you MUST feel special. Besides that, the Gallardo is perfect IMO.

Regarding in yellow - I agree it's cool to look at but would you really buy a yellow Gallardo ? There were 2 yellow Gallardo's at a charity rally that I attended sponsered by Ferrari of Long Island. The ride was from middle Long Island out to the Hamptons. I have some better pictures of the yellow Gallardo's at home but found this one below. You can see one of the Gallardo's is on the end. The other yellow one was parked 2 spots down from my Stradale. IMO they're cool cars but their boxy look isn't as stylish as the 430. I really, really like the Gallardos front. The nose and the angle and shape of the winshield is sick. It looks really aggressive. But the 430 is nicer all the way back. Wish Lambo would have done the rear of the Gallardo differently. More like the Murci maybe. The Ferrari's design is more timeless where as the lambo's design reminds me of the wrong direction Cadillac has taken with it's edgy body panels. Like the Countach it looks cool for it's time but after some time the design will look strange. I still like the car a lot, I just don't think it's a better looking car inside or out.

Regarding the Stradale vs. the F430 - Looks & sound. - Thanks ! How can I not agree with you there ?
    I've yet to hear anything sound like my CS. The 430's sound is nice but not like a CS's. In terms of looks I like the CS's front a lot better but like the rear of the 430 and it's scoops better. Wish they would have just modified the Stradale's front for the 430.

I do agree with you that the F430 is more stylish Stradale, but the Lambo will definately be the one to get AND keep your attention longer(IMO). The Gallardo just looks so different from everything else on the road. I agree that the Ferraris design is also more timeless, and will PROBABLY be more attractive as time goes by.(Back when the Countach came out, it was nice but now its butt ugly+the Gallardo was designed to resemble it).
    I'll still have the Lambo over it though. 'Cause it looks better to ME (MUCH).
    BTW: I wont have it in yellow though. Yellow's very nice, but Mike posted these Pearl pics a couple of weeks back...

mmmmm.....

mm..

In terms of our conversation from the other day about which car was better looking. 85 people voted for the 430 vs. 49 for the Gallardo.

The pearl is nice but my favorite for the Gallardo would either be black or this color.

I think the Gallardo desighn is almost like it is trying to hard for attention . For example the way the doors open ... the whole car is like " hey look at me " .

Quote:
    OCEAN said:
    I think the Gallardo desighn is almost like it is trying to hard for attention . For example the way the doors open ... the whole car is like " hey look at me " .

That what an Italian supercar is precisely designed to do. It aims to awe the competition with sytle. Ferrari dan Lambo are very sucessful in that.

They can awe the competition with sytle but can they do this ?

Quote:
    OCEAN said:
    They can awe the competition with sytle but can they do this ?

LOL thats brilliant!!

Quote:
    Al Pettee said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    However, many putative potential buyers often rationalize themselves out of buying a Ferrari based on old and inaccurate quality maintenance issue. In my view, that is good for those of us who own and will buy future Ferrari's. The less people buying Ferrari's, the more available to those of us who appreciate the car.

Nick,

Maybe I'll do my part to decrease the availability of a Ferrari to you with a future purchase of my own.

One question, my disadvantage is the nearest dealer to me is 300 miles away. Others have pointed out that this is not as bad as it seems. Do you have experience or knowledge of Ferrari service in terms of distance from a shop, parts and routine maintenance difficulties? My work/family life is busy enough, so I have limited time for getting cars fixed (don't we all? ). Many thanks in advance.

Al

Ferrari will pay to flat bed your car to the nearest dealer on warranty repairs if the car is undriveable or unsafe to drive. These are liberally interpreted.

However, basic service may cause some concern unless you have a prior agreement with the dealer.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777912 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441968 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262909 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261140 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85395 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5673 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880819 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816348 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM