Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Christophorus Makes Me Want to Puke

Is it just me or is the writing in Christophorus just completely intolerable? I mean, I get this magazine every month and I usually get excited about seeing the latest pics. But then I get to actually reading the articles and find myself wanting to puke at every sentence. How can writing be this banal? Here's an example from Christophorus No. 313 in an article about the 997 Cab:

"Porsche purists love the Eleven coupe with a passion and smirk with condenscension at those fellow Porsche animals who've raised convertible driving to cult status, and who thank the sports car builder for having raised the option strategy to an art with such virtuoso-like dedication. Enthusiasts of automobile nudism can share the Porsche fascination--that's the moral of the story of a trip along the plains below the Sierra, where the proud Spanish vaqueros heard their gigantic heards of cattle, vagabonds of liberty and adventures."

Come on! Putting the run-on sentences aside, who are these "fellow Porsche animals" and what the hell is an "Enthusiast of automobile nudism"? Really, I would prefer if they just filled up the magazine with more pictures perhaps of different color and option combinations for the various cars. Then a little techical data or information about new options would be nice. Perhaps the latest testing information wouldn't be bad as well. As it is, this magazine has the usefullness of a Playboy or Penthouse . . . look at the pics but forget about the articles.

I don't know why Porsche even bothers. It's not like the Christophorus articles make me want to buy another Porsche. In fact, it may be just the opposite. If they really want to sell more cars, just include a bunch of sweet looking pics of the cars, perhaps with some of those Playboy models, and that ought to do the trick for me.

Re: Christophorus Makes Me Want to Puke

Who's the editor?

Porsche Publishing is the publisher and the editor is a homely looking chick named Karen Schulze. I think she should be fired. She clearly knows zilch about writing a magazine about cars and marketing.

Sounds like it's written by a bot.

br d

Hey br d ,, hows it hanging ..

throt..

To me, the writing invariably sounds like a machine generated translation to English. I am reasonably certain that the original language of the articles is German and marginal translation skills may contribute to the often weird seeming prose.

Actually "Car" magazine write most of the articles for Christoforus. Just read some of their articles regarding any Porsche and it will make you want to vomit.

Quote:
    grecomfs said:
    To me, the writing invariably sounds like a machine generated translation to English. I am reasonably certain that the original language of the articles is German and marginal translation skills may contribute to the often weird seeming prose.

Perhaps. But the weird sounding prose is really only a small part of the problem. To me, the biggest fault is that the information provided in either completely useless or just plain weird. Really, who do they think their audience is? How about the article entitled "Convertible Chic" in the latest issue, which to my delight informed me that "the good news is that there is no rigid dress code" while driving in a convertible. What would I do for fashion advice with Christophorus?

What a stupid magazine.

Quote:
    U Boat Commander said:
    Is it just me or is the writing in Christophorus just completely intolerable? I mean, I get this magazine every month and I usually get excited about seeing the latest pics. But then I get to actually reading the articles and find myself wanting to puke at every sentence.

Christophorus is a LIFESTYLE magazine, not a magazine for the Porsche enthusiast, this is nothing new to me.
    I remember I wrote a few years ago a pretty harsh letter to Porsche about Christophorus, together with some other complaints I had regarding my car. Never actually got a reply regarding my Christophorus comments.

Christophorus sucks. It doesn't provide ANY interesting information for the Porsche enthusiast, it is more some sort of half rich-wannabees lifestyle magazine and half advertisement for painters/musicians/hotels/restaurants/etc.
    I HATE it, it is disgraceful for such a sportscar.

BUT: most people seem to like it, the Porsche Club Germany club magazine isn't much different. I think it is because of the "typcial" Porsche owner over here in Germany. Most of them have the same arrogance most dealers have over here. They actually don't care about the product itself but about how it looks and how people look at it. The funniest experience regarding this "typical" type of german Porsche owner is the Kindergarten (pre-school) of my daughter: I brought her every day and NEVER saw a Porsche there. Then, we started to make some friends and I was invited to their homes and they came to my place. NEVER saw a Porsche among them. Over the past few months, more and more surprises: one owned a 996 Cab for some time, the other one a 993 Turbo and one a 996 Targa. They ALWAYS saw me in my Porsches, two wifes even asked how satisfied I am with my Cayenne. They NEVER mentioned they own a Porsche too. Why? Because for them, a Porsche is like a nice dress for special occasions when you want to show what you have.
    Usually, they drive in their Volvo/Mercedes/VW station wagons/Minivans, not Porsches.

WE here at Rennteam.com and on other car forums are real car nuts, we LOVE cars and enjoy driving them. WE are NOT the target customers for Christophorus or even Porsche, this is something I had to learn the hard way. Like this guy from quality processing management said: "you are among 3% who make these complaints...", meaning: I give a damn what you say.

Try to get used to it: Porsche builds very nice cars and some of their engineers really put their heart and soul into developping and building these cars but when it comes to marketing/sales department, it is all about target customers and money. We should consider ourselves lucky that BMW and Mercedes put THAT much pressure on Porsche. Otherwise we would have another german car maker of luxury cars but not sports cars.

What is even worse about that magazine is that the technical data they present contains severe errors. German version of Christophorus No. 316, the article about PCNA, p.54, they claim that the X51 for the 50 club coupes increases max. torque to 535Nm. That is so far off for a non-turbo 911, that even someone not knowing the correct data should have noticed that there definitely is something wrong here.

---------
    ewi

Anyone care to comment on "Excellence" magazine?

RC's lifestyle comment makes sense. I'll bet the mag is a money maker as they sell advertising to those companies trying to target this more affluent customer base. If that's it then you can understand why it's nothing more than a "nice and fluffy" sales brochure. I usually just look at the pics

Interesting RC! Thank you!

I like it. I enjoy the pictures and some of the articles too. It seems to have better pictures than most other magazines. It's more of a lifestyle magazine and I accept it for what it is.

Quote:
    dweiser said:

A disappointment so far- too many ads.

Re: Christophorus Is What It Is!!

I LOOOOOVE that Mag! Nice thick paper, glossy perfect color pictures, no controversial opinions or predictions, all upper class, all priviledged living and nothing to apologise for. Clean, tidy, problem-free:"life is good!"

It's not like I read it from cover to cover, I just might take a fifteen minute vacation by flipping thru the pages.

Would I BUY a subscription? Heaven's NO! Am I happy when it lands on my desk? YUP!

I also subscribe to, and enjoy Excellence and the PCA Publications, so I do know what a "real" Porsche mag is supposed to be.

Isn't Christophorus P's free propaganda to help married dudes in lobbying the wife for early trade-in of the 997S for 997TTS, etc?....all those pics of romantic wkend getaways in a 997S Cab to Napa, Montecito, etc and info on the latest spas, what else is it for?...and given the audience and the purpose, isn't that why P avoids using any potentially "inflammatory" pics in the mag?....

my magazine comes with spanish text. and since I don't read spanish very well, I just ignore the articles and look at the purrty pictures of the purrty women, cars and scenery. Glad i'm not missing much in terms of content.

rc is absolutly right...this mag su.ks and even for porsche product ,its always late they put pics of the cayman for example several months after everybody saw them on other mags. it just goes directly to the waste bin when i receive it..

Quote:
    Christophorus sucks. It doesn't provide ANY interesting information for the Porsche enthusiast, it is more some sort of half rich-wannabees lifestyle magazine and half advertisement for painters/musicians/hotels/restaurants/etc.
    I HATE it, it is disgraceful for such a sportscar.

exactly. it's just for the coffee-table, much like amex departures and centurion magazines.

Quote:
    dweiser said:

"Excellence" is very good.

These are the car mags I get. (that I can remember off-hand) "Rosso" I just started getting unsolicited. It's a gorgeous Ferrari magazine from F of NA. I think they started sending it when I signed up at the Ferrari Owners site.

If anyone has any good recommendations please let me know.

Excellence
    Christophorus
    Panorama (pca)
    Car & Driver
    Motor Trend
    Road & Track
    Du Pont Registry
    Rosso
    Forza
    Ferrari Market Letter - funny intro:
    http://www.ferrarimarketletter.com/
    Celebrity Car
    EVO
    Car
    Automobile
    Auto Week
    Sports Car
    European car magazine

Well said RC. All in all, Christophorus is easy enough not to take seriously, and the price is right. It would be interesting to know how many sales of expensive watches and jewelry are made through such magazines. I'm sure that if you just pay a little more attention the next time Christophorus arrives you'll want a tourbillion watch for those high g-force turns!!

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    dweiser said:

These are the car mags I get. (that I can remember off-hand) "Rosso" I just started getting unsolicited. It's a gorgeous Ferrari magazine from F of NA. I think they started sending it when I signed up at the Ferrari Owners site.

Excellence
    Christophorus
    Panorama (pca)
    Car & Driver
    Motor Trend
    Road & Track
    Du Pont Registry
    Rosso
    Forza
    Celebrity Car
    EVO
    Car
    Automobile
    Auto Week
    Sports Car
    European car magazine

Stradale, have you checked out CAVALLINO mag? It's all Ferrari; I think it's six issues/year...not a lot of content in each issue, but what's there is very high quality.

Every issue has 'The Market'-- which I always found amusing-- value appraisal chart for every Ferrari ever built, nicely scaled to the high end (deservedly in most cases) to keep owners feeling fine . I let my subscription expire a few years ago when I sold my old '78 308GTS, but I still see Cavallino at Barnes&Noble. http://www.cavallino.com/

Thanks Damian !
    I'm going to check it out.

I'd say Christophorus has lost a bit in the recent months - or is it just me getting older?

I do appreciate that the majority of articles is NOT about the cars themselves but about the surroundings. In some articles though - and those are exactly the ones dealing with the Porsche products themselves - a certain knowledge and desire for details are lacking.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    dweiser said:

Excellence
    Christophorus
    Panorama (pca)
    Car & Driver
    Motor Trend
    Road & Track
    Du Pont Registry
    Rosso
    Forza
    Celebrity Car
    EVO
    Car
    Automobile
    Auto Week
    Sports Car
    European car magazine

Strad, may want to also get Autocar (wkly, so get early tests vs the mthlys) and Top Gear (often has interesting features previewing upcoming cars, w/detailed pics...like '07 S-Class in 8/05 issue).

Don't know if subscribing makes as much sense as buying at a good mag stand, given only 50% of issues seem to have relevant content....I've found good places in NYC/SF that get the Brit mags about 4 days after my London pals...

Quote:
    VKSF said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    dweiser said:

Excellence
    Christophorus
    Panorama (pca)
    Car & Driver
    Motor Trend
    Road & Track
    Du Pont Registry
    Rosso
    Forza
    Celebrity Car
    EVO
    Car
    Automobile
    Auto Week
    Sports Car
    European car magazine

Strad, may want to also get Autocar (wkly, so get early tests vs the mthlys) and Top Gear (often has interesting features previewing upcoming cars, w/detailed pics...like '07 S-Class in 8/05 issue).

Don't know if subscribing makes as much sense as buying at a good mag stand, given only 50% of issues seem to have relevant content....I've found good places in NYC/SF that get the Brit mags about 4 days after my London pals...

I'm on the Top Gear and AutoCar sites now looking to subscribe. Getting an error message for the AutoCar/can't subscribe to the USA - any help ?

On the Top Gear web-site, Top Gear is 85 lbs Sterling = $151 US. Any other site where it's less expensive ? If not I'll buy it anyway but maybe you have a tip to buy from a distributor or something ? $151 is a lot for a magazine.

Even for a 'lifestyle' magazine, Christophorus is really poor. 'BMW Magazine' is slightly better and 'Mercedes' is better for the 'lifestyle' stuff. However, even 'Mercedes' has a vomit-inducing letters page where proud owners mention how their car saved their life in an accident or how their car has done 400,000 miles and is still going strong or how this is the 23rd Mercedes they have owned etc etc...

Strad, I've never bothered subscribing to Autocar/Top Gear, as their email responses/subscrip costs for US customers seem inefficient.

Know a couple of mag stores around NYC that get these mags within 3-4 d of release....Union Sq Mags in Manhattan; recall a store in Ft Lee, NJ that also carried these...would suspect there are similar extensive mag shops in Nassau/Westchester/Fairfield....hope that helps...

Is Christophorus about cars?
    I thought it was a magazine for people wanting to buy watches.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776761 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441531 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262690 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260825 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85104 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5506 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880538 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815669 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM