Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Our Aston Vantage vs Porsche 997S "Shootout" (Large Images)

The Seattle ADD Vantage event was today so we took my wife's brand new Porsche 997S down for a live comparison. This is her third Porsche and she's a die-hard Porsche fan, not one so easily swayed away from her preferred ride.

Let's begin with the reigning champion. A 2006 Porsche 997S equipped with sports chrono/suspension package, sport shifter, sport adaptive seats, full leather, navigation, etc - basically everything except ceramic brakes.

It's so new that we don't even have the tags yet. Can we stack the deck any more?

I think she makes even a Porsche look good, but we're paying attention to the cars.

The 997S' interior is improved over her old 996S. She likes the 997S' gearshift, particularly the short throw of the sports shifter (optional of course).

Upon arrival at Aston Martin of Seattle, we see a Tunsten Vantage out front. Immediately, it already looks much better than in pictures.

She was worried about the front looking too curved in pictures. Live and in person, it esthetically flows from side to front.

A black and a light silver vantage were also on display inside, but we preferred it in tungsten. Tungsten was a good match to the Vantage's size and form. It really showed off the shape of the car rather than hiding it as black can do. It also gave it appropriate weight - something that the light silver didn't lend enough on a smaller car.

She didn't even notice the stinger antenna!

She didn't get to drive it off the lot, but she did get to fire up the engine and critique the shift system. She liked the clutch throw being shorter than the 997's and found the shifter engaged gears cleanly. What was the crowd pleaser was the sound of the engine when she pushed down the throttle. The crowd begged, "Do it again!" NEVER have her Porsches made such an attention demanding and threatening growl as the Vantage. There is a beast in that bespoke suite.

Interior has an intuitive layout. Steering wheel and seat feel ergonomically pleasing. Remember she has sports adaptive seats in the 997 and she still likes the Aston.

I had to make certain that her getting a Vantage means that I also get my Vanquish. Phew! Okay I guess it's okay from my end then.

Since we had the 997S there.... We just had to do a head to head comparison of looks. Drew plenty of attention with this. We think there isn't even a competition. Just one look and the beetle is immediately identifiable.

It's true from another angle. No competition at all.

Finally, here is a stereo pair of the Vantage. Cross your eyes to fuse the two pictures together and you'll get a better idea of how it looks live. I wish everyone could see it already. In person, the Vantage exudes a dynamic sense of motion - even standing still. Much much better in person than in photos.

It is going to seem a very long wait for hers to arrive......

Re: Our Aston Vantage vs Porsche 997S "Shootout" (Large Images)

Thanks for the pics Guy!
    Nice comparo.
    She might want to review her driving position though!
    Good luck!

Thanks a lot Guy!

997 all the way !

IMHO, the Vantage is the better LOOKING car, and the 997S is the better CAR.

Gary

Quote:
    tdf360 said:
    IMHO, the Vantage is the better LOOKING car, and the 997S is the better CAR.Gary

The solution is to get a 997S plus a picture of a Vantage.

Re: Our Aston Vantage vs Porsche 997S "Shootout" (Large Imag

We think that the 997S may be a better track car, but we want a better overall car for real life driving. It will be absolutely sensational to have a the Vantage in the garage. Around here, Porsches are as common as Hondas - nothing special to look at.

We've reached the next level in our desires. It's hard to go backwards after experiencing in real life the sight and sound of the Vantage along with knowing it is has virtually the 997's drivability for non-track conditions. An AM Vantage is certainly not the choice for the typical cost conscious Porsche driver, but we think it is going to be nice step up from the 997S, even one as highly configured as hers.

Sounds like you're fairly sensitive to image/looks of any car...why not just get a new 430? Know a few 430 owners who own DB9's as their everyday beater car for the city ; 430's both an ideal wkend sportscar and a very GT-ish car (in fact, I'd argue 430 is ironically more comfortable and practical than a DB9)....and F's high-impact touches/features like unique key fob, leather/stitching quality, carbon fiber around engine in a glass display case, big CCM calipers in red/yell, cf sport seats, cf shift paddles, etc are prob world's best automotive "jewelry" for both guys who are very image-conscious and want the world to see them in their car....and guys who simply appreciate these details themselves, while not relishing the inevitable attention/jealousy the car draws.....

Agreed. A F430 would be quite "acceptable." :-)

Quote:
    Guy Kuo said:
    We think that the 997S may be a better track car, but we want a better overall car for real life driving. It will be absolutely sensational to have a the Vantage in the garage. Around here, Porsches are as common as Hondas - nothing special to look at.

We've reached the next level in our desires. It's hard to go backwards after experiencing in real life the sight and sound of the Vantage along with knowing it is has virtually the 997's drivability for non-track conditions. An AM Vantage is certainly not the choice for the typical cost conscious Porsche driver, but we think it is going to be nice step up from the 997S, even one as highly configured as hers.

Welcome aboard, Guy,

Lovely photos, lovely cars-and wife. Order the AMV8 and wait for the 997TT (ready by next summer).

Great photos! How long did they say the waiting list was for the AM V8?

As of early in the event at the Seattle dealership, late 2006 still looked possible. Don't know what it is now. It's not three years by any means.

Guy Kuo,

I was at the event earlier. I bought a DB9 from the Seattle dealership (I had a lot of troubles with that dealership, eventually with the threat of the lemon law they bought my DB9 back, but I still went to the event to check out the Vantage). I had Michael fire up the Vanquish they had there, and that thing sounded meaner then almost any car that I have heard (besides probably the CGT and possibly 959 that I saw at Barrier).

From my experience with both Barrier Porsche and Aston Martin Seattle, I feel Barrier is much more prepared to handle any problems. Good luck with the V8 Vantage, hope you have better luck with AM then I had.

If you have any questions you can email me k@kdub.net

Kunal

Yes, we give kudos to Barrier as well. We had problems with her 9964S. Porsche NA was of little help and essentially left us without substantively solving any issues. It was a classic illustration of how a manufacturer's indifference to a customer can end blind devotion to a brand and open themselves up to competition. My wife, who would never even have considered anything other than another Porsche is now going elsewhere. Porsche NA short sightedly shot themselves in the foot by telling her to seek arbitration after they didn't correct her Carrera 4S. Love of the Porsche name was turned into disdain. It became obvious that Porsche wasn't a special brand that would take better care of her. It was just another car manufacturer. Meanwhile, I knew that she requires a particular level of drive and placed her AMV8 order as a backup plan.

Eventually, Barrier Motors came through and helped get us into her new 997S. It was fantastic of the dealership and I cannot speak more highly of their decision to stand by the customer even though Porsche was clearly leaving both us and themselves out to dry. She liked the 997S much more, but by then I had spoiled her with a glimpse of the Astons.

So yesterday's event WAS pivotal. It was her time to decide whether to keep her new 997S or move on to the AMV8. Whichever one made her happier will be be her ride. It didn't take long once she saw the Vantage. It is absolutely thrilling to see her gleefully enthusiastic about a car again.

We're awaiting the AMV8 with anticipation and hope it works out well. It's also a baby step testing the waters for a Vanquish later. How well the AMV8 and the dealership take care of my wife will greatly determine whether a Vanquish for me follows.

love the "shoot-out" Guy!!

great pics, analysis and conclusion~~~~

i understand you and your wife's perspective, and wish you both great success and enjoyment driving the AM!

...now about that 430 spyder addition...

Guy,

Make that a Vanquish S.

Very nice comparison pics!!!!

Did the 997S was equipped with the pse???, if not that's why the aston sounded better!!

Very nice the Vantage, but those rims don't match the car perfectly, I'll take the 997S!!!!!

Great pics, enjoy them in good health!!!

Very nice pictures, great post

I have been loking for a real-life comparison picture of the Vantage and 997, and you delivered

And wow is all I can say. I think the 997 is a good looking car. But next to the Vantage, which looks like a spaceship from the Star Trek Voyager series, the 997 looks like something from the original 60's Star Trek series. Or dated to sum it up in one word.

i can say one thing comfortably, the 997's interior looks much nicer

i love the Vantage!!

Guy,

Thanks for the pics and the subtitles, loved them .

The Houston event is on Oct 7. Haven't received my invitation yet but looking forward to it.

DEFINITELY go see it in person. I can't begin to relate how much better it looks when it is actually in front of you. Pictures very badly flatten its proportions. In particular, front view images tend to make the hood look short and bulbous. In reality it is long, sleek and has additional curves that aren't appreciated from a photo.

Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:
    Guy,

Thanks for the pics and the subtitles, loved them .

The Houston event is on Oct 7. Haven't received my invitation yet but looking forward to it.

hey ron! glad to see you're OK! nice to see you on the boards again so quick!

Mike,

In Houston, when I went for DB9 event last year I was told waiting would be about a year and the dealer rep. was ready to take my deposit then (made a mistake not putting one down).

Talked to the same gentleman and I was told the waiting is close to 3 years now. Of course if anyone cacel their order I'd be moving up but he said he seriously doubts if anyone would.

Should have done it a year ago .

you talking about the DB9 or the V8 Vantage?!?!

ps. how are things in houston, was there any major damage?

Makes you go - Ymmmm ???

Sorry Mike I was talking about AMV8 at DB9 event.

No major damage but some of the neighborhood around me were out of power for couple days but we are all fine, thanks for asking.

I'm still tired of driving back from Dallas last night took 8 hours vs. 3.5 hours of regular driving. Going to Dallas from Houston took us 14.5 hours though so 8 ain't that bad .

damn ron and you still have energy left to come post here you're a legend!

Quote:
    Mike S said:

I beg to differ. Having compared both side by side, the amv8 interior is not only more visually appealing, but also feels a lot more luxurious. The 997 in comparison felt very plasticky, especially the area around the handbrake.

Quote:
    stanwan said:
    Quote:
    Mike S said:

I beg to differ. Having compared both side by side, the amv8 interior is not only more visually appealing, but also feels a lot more luxurious. The 997 in comparison felt very plasticky, especially the area around the handbrake.

I agree that the AM is much nicer inside and out, IMHO. I'm just not sure it has the driving dynamics and sensations...

Quote:
    Guy Kuo said:
    Agreed. A F430 would be quite "acceptable." :-)

LMAO !

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    778898 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442185 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263057 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261337 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85573 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5778 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881030 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    817218 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM