Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

997S on a long boring drive. Did I chose the wrong car!?

Was on strange section of I5 far from home. Lots of cops preying on other cars. Very nerve wracking. Would have much rather been driving my M3 insted of leaving it home. What's my problem?

Every cool to hot car was on my tail thinking the I in the 911 know where the cops are or they think I'll be *their* ticket magnet rabbit.

The engine's drone, rasp and buzz started getting on my nerves since there was little hope of opening it up with the traffic and state police having a nail-a-thon.

The suspension got on my nerves for the 55 mph numb and dumb drive.

I'm not even close to 50 years old and I started wishing I decided to take my SMG-equippd M3 with me insted of the Carrera. More comfort (!!)less ticketable and less annoyingly rabbit-esque. The "old" 7 series BMWs I saw looked pretty inviting too.

Do you guys ever feel this way (wishing you decided to drive your other car) when the highway driving gets frickin' stupid?

One one amazing thing though. The adaptive seats are great: extreme gratitude is owed to Porsche. By the time I got checked into the hotel and in my room I felt physically great; almost felt like I wanted to go out for a drive!!!

Re: 997S on a long boring drive. Did I chose the wrong car!?

MMD you are seriously depressed. i know the correct drug.

2 days in the "Ring" will justify to your mind that your purschase was wise

For me and my commute of 97 miles daily (round trip, I-15 in so-cal) I find that I feel that the cops ignore me and choose to stop the "beaters" on the road with the expectation that once pulled over they will have the opportunity to write more than just a speeding ticket. Obviously this is very region specific, but all in all i feel better driving beyond the speed limit in my 997 than in my honda (beater)

great purchase...absolutely!!but you must have a really hard time using cars overthere!!!!!come over here to europe, go to the ring for some days, some driving in the german autobahn, and then down to italy where, if traffics allows, it's still funny to drive, especially in the mountains, and try to find some track days.
    or more simple drive trough tuscany in the beautifull hills.
    You have to know that from BOLOGNA to FLORENCE there the old road called FUTA where on saturday and sunday mornings there is a lot of motorbikes and cars having really fun.
    You have to drive slow in the small villages but outside everybody drives like hell.......TO FUNNY....

Quote:
    MMD said:The suspension got on my nerves for the 55 mph numb and dumb drive.

Sorry, I forgot - what suspension did you get?
    I find the PASM on mine great at smoothing the bumps. I know what you mean though. 55mph!

MMD ,

Your more negative than me and that takes some beating..

throt..

Quote:
    throt said:
    MMD ,

throt..

LOL!

Nah, my guess is we're moody b*ast*rds. I feel alot better today. Just relating what went thru my mind during most of the trip yesterday. My wife keeps reminding me of this, "You'll feel better in a few hours." "The problem will probably solve itself." "Relax, life is good!" etc etc.

Re: 55mph There's a price we pay for the "sports car" feel of the Carrera.

MMD,

I think a track day will cure what ills you.

Quote:
    MMD said:

The engine's drone, rasp and buzz started getting on my nerves since there was little hope of opening it up with the traffic and state police having a nail-a-thon.

I'm not even close to 50 years old and I started wishing I decided to take my SMG-equippd M3 with me insted of the Carrera. More comfort (!!)less ticketable and less annoyingly rabbit-esque.

MMD, you were temporarily, albeit annoyingly, relegated to being a regular commuter drone! It's no fun in ANY car when you have to keep a watchful eye out for the cops, driving is just not as fun. But you did NOT make a mistake, I know you still have that passion in you, you are a huge contributor on here and I have read many many of your posts.. I agree with Mike above, the police are less interested in cars like ours unless we are being incredibly stupid in traffic! They realize that most P-owners are for the most part law abiding citizens who have achieved their status in society through hard work. Now, get out and take your car through some twistys to clear your head!

Perhaps...

But maybe for that particular journey. I had the same feeling last weekend where I felt like a "naked" target for cops despite having a radar detector. I followed a minivan doing 90 for a long time and thinking to myself that being so conspicuous in a Porsche is not neccessarily a good thing. Maybe my anonymous gray Audi allroad would have been a better choice...

I sometimes wonder whether having a car for short distances that can be fun at low speeds (Miata, Elise, Mini Cooper S etc.) might not be a better choice, and having a bigger luxo-barge in a neutral color would be the better way to go for comfort on long distance journeys.

Re: Perhaps...

Somehow i feel the same sometimes, then i hate driving through cities and trafic on autobahns with my gt3, but on empty nice roads it all starts to make sense

On the other hand the gt3 is different again...

Quote:
    MMD said:

Do you guys ever feel this way (wishing you decided to drive your other car)?

No.

Guys, Porsches are very small targets for radar and laser guns. I'm much more concerned in my Yukon.

Everyone knows the "being targetted"-feeling , on my trip to germany last weekend it was a relief to drive as hard as the cab wanted and not to feel guilty about it...
    Just got a ticket in my mail today for speeding: 58km/u instead of 50km/u= Euro 50 amount

MMD, buddy, I just don't see any of that stuff at all! OMG! On the bait thing, you might be right though, but I have a tactic that should help. Pick a young kid in a wannabee sports car and bait him like you want to race. Then let him win. He will plow the road for miles for you. Equally so, pick a middle-aged man in an SUV and you'll get the same results.

Maybe it's time to put the NAV to use and find some off beat roads.

In these revenue generating times it requires us to be extra alert. I can understand how you feel, it's like holding back a thoroughbred as it's chomping at the bit.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Quote:
    throt said:
    MMD ,

throt..

LOL!

Nah, my guess is we're moody b*ast*rds. I feel alot better today. Just relating what went thru my mind during most of the trip yesterday. My wife keeps reminding me of this, "You'll feel better in a few hours." "The problem will probably solve itself." "Relax, life is good!" etc etc.

Re: 55mph There's a price we pay for the "sports car" feel of the Carrera.

LOL , She still cant get over me pulling the plug on my P , she says its a sign of age , 10 yrs ago it would of been full steam ahead .. ..

What a boring fart..

throt..

Quote:
    Le Chef said:
    But maybe for that particular journey. I had the same feeling last weekend where I felt like a "naked" target for cops despite having a radar detector. I followed a minivan doing 90 for a long time and thinking to myself that being so conspicuous in a Porsche is not neccessarily a good thing. Maybe my anonymous gray Audi allroad would have been a better choice...

Nah, I love my slate grey S in its own right, but I think one reason subliminally that I picked the color is the stealth aspect (see below--finally a pic worthy of posting ).

MMD, life IS good!! You gotta remember to take your Geritol. Seriously, I get the same frustration frequently-- it just ain't right to put a racehorse behind a plow. In fact, I reduced frequency of my 997 drives to work to one day a week because of the average ~30 mph speeds, plus makes the car that much more spectacular when you jump into it in the evening or weekend.

Pick a weekend day, get up early and think of a reason to take a 50-mile cruise to check out the 997's at the dealer across town or out of the city and into the hinterlands, pick up roses for the wife on the way home and you'll be a new man.

Thats a good Slate pic , you've caught it well light wise .

Very nice..

throt..

Quote:
    throt said:
    Thats a good Slate pic , you've caught it well light wise .

Very nice..

throt..

Thanks, throt... don't want to hijack thread from
    12-step support group for MMD...but yes Slate is tricky color to depict accurately, I really favor the metallic 'burnished pewter' quality of it.

Driving long distances on an interstate is relatively boring no mater what vehicle your driving. Driving fast in a straight line is boring as well. No matter what the drive I find the 997 to be great, on a x-country drive I will cover 6-700 miles in a day.
    Where the fun begins is off the highway and on a closed circuit where I can explore the handling capabilities of the 997, be it track or autox.

80% of Porshe owhers may get to 50% of the cars capabilities

I'm happy to be in the 20% who has

this is call independence age!? u are stepping into 50years old and will get more moody like my dad used to be! hahahahha!

Quote:
    throt said:

LOL , She still cant get over me pulling the plug on my P , she says its a sign of age , 10 yrs ago it would of been full steam ahead .. ..

What a boring fart..

throt..

You're right throt, you are a boring fart, but even that pales into insignificance next to MMD being such a miserable fart. Get a grip man!!! You have a piece of machinery that represents one of the pinnacles of our species long journey to our supreme abilities. Sure, it's boring on a slow freeway, but you could be pulling a handcart across a swamp and hoping to live long enough to have children. You live in one of the most privilidged societies on the face of the earth dude!!! Lighten up!!!!!!

Apologies to MMD, I'm just poking you with a stick, but face it mate, things could be a whole lot worse.

br d

Quote:
    br d said:
    Quote:
    throt said:

What a boring fart..

throt..

You're right throt, you are a boring fart, but even that pales into insignificance next to MMD being such a miserable fart. Get a grip man!!! You have a piece of machinery that represents one of the pinnacles of our species long journey to our supreme abilities. Sure, it's boring on a slow freeway, but you could be pulling a handcart across a swamp and hoping to live long enough to have children. You live in one of the most privilidged societies on the face of the earth dude!!! Lighten up!!!!!!

Apologies to MMD, I'm just poking you with a stick, but face it mate, things could be a whole lot worse.

br d

LOL , miserable fart . Well this boring fart is up early and I'm off to hit the sack .. Beauty sleep here comes ..

Hopes all well br d ..

Easy lads ..

throt..

Quote:
    Holminator said:
    MMD, buddy, I just don't see any of that stuff at all! OMG! On the bait thing, you might be right though, but I have a tactic that should help. Pick a young kid in a wannabee sports car and bait him like you want to race. Then let him win. He will plow the road for miles for you. Equally so, pick a middle-aged man in an SUV and you'll get the same results.

Isn't it amazing how many guys in rusty/ricer/rapper/family-hauling cars are willing to Vmax out their car in the left lane and serve as your unpaid "radar detector"? I guess they don't hand out those cars to just anybody....

When it gets dicey though is when some of these geniuses persistently tag alongside you at these autobahnish speeds while the driver (not a passenger) captures images of your car in-motion on their cameraphone....

Quote:
    MMD said:

Where on I-5 is it only 55MPH???

Yes. Not only might it be the wrong car for you, its a expensive one.

All 911s since the jurassic era have been awful at slow highway speeds. Noisy, grumbly and wierd feeling because there is no torque loading up the chassis to make the car feel planted. But the 997 is like a velvet Cadillac compared to the rest of the 911 world.

If you cant enjoy this car what can you enjoy?

Maybe it isnt the car for you, maybe it was the wrong choice. If you need a car with less real world daily
    involvment and more isolation, trade it for something
    more sedate and detached, or learn how to take risks
    in traffic. Its a fast car, it beckons you to go faster,
    do it or get rid of it.

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    Quote:
    MMD said:

Where on I-5 is it only 55MPH???

Excellent catch, Alan.

I guess when one can't figure out the speed limit and starts having paranoid hallucinations re: CHP radar traps on I-5 in the middle of nowhere (where the minivans tend to casually cruise along at 80MPH+), it's time to trade in the fancy imported car for a good ole Crown Vic/Grand Marquis and sit in the passenger seat while the wife/caretaker drives you to your doctors' appts.....

MMD,
    Your always complaining about something . Are you really a woman?

Quote:
    JP66 said:
    MMD,
    Your always complaining about something . Are you really a woman?

Isn't the politically correct term "transgender" in this context? The women's rights groups surely demarcate their turf very carefully vs the transgender rights groups.....

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776957 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441614 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262738 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260885 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85147 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5538 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880593 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815781 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM