Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

997 out of use for 6 weeks - advice wanted

I have broken my wrist and cannot drive for 6 weeks!!!!

How should I look after my car? e.g. start engine every so often, charge battery etc.

Re: 997 out of use for 6 weeks - advice wanted

6 weeks is NOTHING. Take it from a guy who's got over 150 cars that don't move that frequently. Your tires will be a bit choppy for the 1st couple miles (shoot, they get that way virtually just by sitting overnight), but once they warm up, they'll come right back to true. Your battery should be fine, and there's no need to start it. It won't hardly know the difference between the 6 weeks, and 6 hours.

Boss, what do you do with 150 cars!!

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    6 weeks is NOTHING. Take it from a guy who's got over 150 cars that don't move that frequently. Your tires will be a bit choppy for the 1st couple miles (shoot, they get that way virtually just by sitting overnight), but once they warm up, they'll come right back to true. Your battery should be fine, and there's no need to start it. It won't hardly know the difference between the 6 weeks, and 6 hours.

The only reason that you have 150 cars better be because you have 150 women to give them to, to keep them around heh

I'm not sure what bugs me more - the fact that the Boss has 150 cars or 150 women!

150 women? I shudder at the thought. They would organize, unionize, and force me to sell all my cars, so they could collect more shoes.....

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    150 women? I shudder at the thought. They would organize, unionize, and force me to sell all my cars, so they could collect more shoes.....

hahahaha i love 69bossnine's sense of humor

Put a BatteryTender on it at least. BTW, I'd bet you could be driving after about a week Shifting with a cast on should be no big deal.

Inflate tires to max pressure to prevent flat spots on the tires. Porsche does that when shipping. I do it every time I travel for more than a week with the car in the garage doing nothing. Also buy and use the Porsche battery maintainer. If you're more than half way to your next oil change, I would change the oil now. That should be good enough for 6 weeks. Get well soon!

DRIVE it ! I took Drivers Ed. w/a cast up to my SHOULDER !

A broken wrist is no big deal. It will improve your shifting b/c you'll have a nice delecate touch !! I say DRIVE !!!

p.s. - I got an A- in Drivers Education

Quote:
    rh997 said:
    How should I look after my car? e.g. start engine every so often, charge battery etc.

Hey ship it over to Florida, I'll look after it for you until mine comes.......

Porsche battery maintainer??? How much jingle to they get for those? Just buy a cheap-o Battery Tender Jr. if you're so inclined, but I really don't think your battery will shrink that much in just 6 weeks, and just one drive after you're back in it, and the alternator will have it right back onto peak. Battery tenders cost only $30 bucks, but you really only need it if months are involved, not weeks... The tire inflation is a good idea, but either way, in that short amount of time, you're not going to permanently flat-spot anything. Get well!!

..I think we trust what 69Bossnine is saying! He must be the most experienced with his 150 cars sitting in his garage, some, I'm sure for month.I guess he knows what he talks about

Thanks for all advice . As a starting point I will leave it 1-2 weeks and then see if I can drive a short distance. If not then I will inflate the tyres and maybe check battery voltage.

After 6 weeks if you don't have a trickle charge it's likely the battery will be dead. I keep my motorcycles and my Ferrari on trickle charge all the time. It's better for the battery if it's not drained down to be re-charged.

There's a bunch of places you can buy the "battery-tender". If you google "battery tender" you'll find distributers. I did hear the company had a large fire so you may want to get one while they're available. Or buy the Porsche one.

My Porsche service manager said the battery would last longer if you don't hit the alarm with the key but instead lock the doors manually. I haven't had the time to look up in the manual what this does to the alarm system, if it disables it in any way.

ps : Get better soon.

I was unable to drive for six weeks earlier this year, following an operation. The car was left unused with the alarm active for the entire time.

It started first time when I eventually got back to it. I wouldn't worry too much if I were you.

Quote:
    Gaz said:
    I was unable to drive for six weeks earlier this year, following an operation. The car was left unused with the alarm active for the entire time.

It started first time when I eventually got back to it. I wouldn't worry too much if I were you.

Sure, many times it will start after that time but many times it wont. I bet more batteries will be dead after six weeks then not. Especially w/ the 997's alarm etc. A couple of guys have even complained about dead batteries after 2 weeks. And from the years I never used to trickle charge my cars and bikes I've found that the batteries that are maintained last a lot longer then the ones that die and are re-charged. For the $30 buck investment I like not worrying about whether it's going to start or not.

My battery in my S351 is its original battery. It's almost 9 years old now. I start that car....oh.......twice or three times a year to drive it and get it some exercise?? It still cranks strong...

The 997S might have some more electrical things running when it's idle, but six weeks is simply nothing. Many new cars sit on dealer's lots for far more than six weeks without a start. If a battery dies in that short amount of time, it's a battery that already had one foot in the grave to begin with. The longest I've allowed my 997S to sit between starts has been 3 weeks, and I observed no difference in cranking speed.

Another car that's got a bunch of electrical gizmos securing it is my Dad's '05 Caddy XLR. I think he's driven it 3 times in the last year. No problems, no trickle-charge.

Not trying to start an argument, just relating my experiences as well.

One thing about battery tenders on modern cars. I wouldn't feel comfortable hooking one up with the battery cables connected (I'm no electrical engineer, but it makes me nervous), and disconnecting the battery basically resets most all of your settings on your car.

Anybody more educated on that? I use battery tenders, but I use them for my "battery bank", a row of shelves where we maintain over 50-60 batteries, as we don't leave batteries in cars for loooonnnng term storage.

All batteries lose power over time. A car like the 997 with it's alarm will drain a lot more juice than an old car without an alarm. My guess is most new batteries will start a car without an alarm after 6 weeks but with the alarm and other gizmos in the 997 I bet many if not most will not start if left for 6 weeks. Haven't you ever been to a Porsche dealer and the car you're looking at has a dead battery ? I've seen it happen more than a dozen times over the years to brand new cars. It's probably why my service manager gave me the unsolicited and rehearshed advice about not keeping the car alarm locked for a long time. Actually he said "if you go on a long vacation". So I would guess that would be a few weeks. He probably sees more than his share of dead Porsche batteries. With Ferrari's you almost have to have a tender connected. That's why the charger is offered in the option list. And I often see the dealer with battery tender wires connected to cars on the showroom floor. I have friends that couldn't start their cars after only a week wthout use.

On my Ferrari and motorcycles I don't have to hook the battery tender clamps to my battery. Before I picked up the car the service department connected the terminals to the wire that hangs just outside the battery box. The salesman told me it was something I should do and gave me the "battery tender" as a gift when I picked up the car. All I have to do is plug that wire into the battery tender wire. No more than a 2 second job. Pic below is out of focus but should give you the idea.

See the blue and red terminals ? That gets hooked up to the battery so all you have to do is plug the female/male wire into the male/female wire of the battery tender.

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    One thing about battery tenders on modern cars. I wouldn't feel comfortable hooking one up with the battery cables connected (I'm no electrical engineer, but it makes me nervous), and disconnecting the battery basically resets most all of your settings on your car.

The Tequipment battery charger/maintainer plugs into the 12V power outlet (cigarette lighter socket), so you're saved from that dilemma. Battery clamps for connecting the charger right to the battery are offered as an option, though. For safety reasons I would also disconnect the battery cables if using the clamps. A clamp just falls off too easily. And that danger would make me nervous . Apart from that it is no problem to keep the cables connected, if there are no consumers active that draw huge currents. The charger is like a second power supply running in parallel to the battery. The rest of the system sees that as one big power supply. If there are heavy power consumers active the charger cannot correctly determine the state of the battery and might overcharge.

------------
    ewi

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    778834 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442177 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263045 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261331 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85564 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5774 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881013 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    817154 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM