Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

This one is for Mike S: Noble M400 test

What a beast!

http://www.sci-mag.com/art2/art2p1.html

Re: This one is for Mike S: Noble M400 test

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    What a beast!

Is this available in the US? Anyplace where I could test one?

Quote:
    Al Pettee said:
    Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    What a beast!

Is this available in the US? Anyplace where I could test one?

Yes, see www.1gracing.com for the US distributor. We have a dealer in Denver and there may be others too. 1G is in Cincinnati...

So is it true that Tiff Needel worked on the suspension?

Remarkable job, I must say. Should consider this as a weekend car - just not sure how good resale value might be... We might be better of with a GT3 - even if not as fast in the straight line!

Quote:
    Ferdie said:
    So is it true that Tiff Needel worked on the suspension?

Remarkable job, I must say. Should consider this as a weekend car - just not sure how good resale value might be... We might be better of with a GT3 - even if not as fast in the straight line!

Resale value is quite strong, even for the earlier 2.5L versions. Better than nearly any newer Porsche. There is a considerable wait period (several months) to have an M400 (at least in the US). They only import 100 cars/year.

Okay,

than I just assume that I have to buy AND sell it in the UK. It is a rather rare vehicle in Germany so far!

I noticed an error in the article. It does have power steering (article said manual). From what I hear, the steering is superb though with excellent precision and feedback.

Thanks Carlos!

Yes, all the reviews I've seen of the Noble are positive. Quote from the article:
    Quote:
    The Noble achieves performance the old-fashioned way, with small size, low mass, high power and meticulous development. In road-going trim, the M400 weighs in at just 2,376 pounds, nearly 1,000 pounds less than the carbon fiber-tubbed Porsche Carrera GT and Ferrari Enzo. Its shattering acceleration, fierce grip, powerful braking and forgiving nature are the result of human thought, intuition, dedication and craftsmanship, rather than the engineering expediency of corrective computer aids such as traction control and ABS brakes; the M400 doesn't even have power steering.

let me tell you the acceleration and everything is exactly how they say. very hard to believe until you climb into one i just need to correct them that there is power steering, air conditioning(optional) and a stereo system

There are some things that we Brits don't want you lot to get your hands on on the other side of the pond, and Noble is one of them

Take a look at the brochure for the upcoming M14.

http://www.noblecars.com/images/m14-brochure.pdf

Quote:
    ElTonioni said:
    There are some things that we Brits don't want you lot to get your hands on on the other side of the pond, and Noble is one of them

The M14 has less power and more weight than the M400

If you didn't want us to have Nobles on this side of the pond, they shouldn't have made them with left-hand-drive and devised a clever way to evade the US crash and emissions regulations

Quote:
    Grant said:
    I noticed an error in the article. It does have power steering (article said manual). From what I hear, the steering is superb though with excellent precision and feedback.

Well, the driver still steers with his hands, even if steering is power-assisted, so i guess it is "manual".

isn't that the case with all cars?

BTW, as a curiosity, the Noble has some Porsche DNA in its genes... anybody know what it is?

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    BTW, as a curiosity, the Noble has some Porsche DNA in its genes... anybody know what it is?

um, you got me there... pls do share

The engine it uses is a turbocharged version of the Duratec 3liter V6, this engine was designed by Porsche for Ford (it was use in the Ford Mondeo/Taurus/Contour for example and other cars)... and two of those put togetehr make the current Aston Martin's V12 as well

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    The engine it uses is a turbocharged version of the Duratec 3liter V6, this engine was designed by Porsche for Ford (it was use in the Ford Mondeo/Taurus/Contour for example and other cars)... and two of those put togetehr make the current Aston Martin's V12 as well

i knew it was a ford engine and the mondeo uses it, but didn't know about the other details you just mentioned AM v12 engine

Yeah, I knew that was the source of the AM V12's (also the Jaguar V6), but I didn't realize that Porsche designed it.

Yes, Ford commissioned Porsche to design it

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:

and for a moment, i almost though ford could design something reliable and original on their own...

Quote:
    Mike S said:
    Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:

and for a moment, i almost though ford could design something reliable and original on their own...

They could-the Model T!

I a link to another review thumbs up there too

http://www.fast-autos.com/Noble_M400.html

Quote:
    Mike S said:
    I a link to another review thumbs up there too

http://www.fast-autos.com/Noble_M400.html

Nice, Mike! Have you ever had the opportunity to run the M400 on a road course?

Grant,

I just spoke to the contact at 1gRacing in Hamilton, Ohio just outside Cincinnati. He said he was not aware of outside US distributors (such as you mentioned in Denver). I wonder if there is a way to find out from other sources if there is a western New York distributor. He said he heard of a group in Connecticut (which could work also since my relatives are moving there). Any knowledge of this?

Thanks. That M400 looks like it could be a fun summer car for me for Watkins Glen days or just some good, fast cornering around town. And from specs. and ordering to delivery would be only a 4-month wait, just in time for next spring. And in case you can't tell, I love turbocharged engines.

Al

Quote:
    Al Pettee said:
    Grant,

I just spoke to the contact at 1gRacing in Hamilton, Ohio just outside Cincinnati. He said he was not aware of outside US distributors (such as you mentioned in Denver). I wonder if there is a way to find out from other sources if there is a western New York distributor. He said he heard of a group in Connecticut (which could work also since my relatives are moving there). Any knowledge of this?

Thanks. That M400 looks like it could be a fun summer car for me for Watkins Glen days or just some good, fast cornering around town. And from specs. and ordering to delivery would be only a 4-month wait, just in time for next spring. And in case you can't tell, I love turbocharged engines.

Al

Al - I highly recommend that you check out these cars. They seem to be very impressive (especially at the Glen). Build quality is not quite Porsche, but I think the driving experience should be better than everything but a CGT (maybe). The local guy here is Bernd Lutz of www.ebmmcorp.com

His email is bernd@ebmmcorp.com

Cars are usually displayed at http://www.paragonmotorcarsdenver.com/

I don't know his exact relationship to 1G, but I know that's where all the US cars come from. They are having a track day this Monday in Denver and they're giving test drives for $500 (refundable on purchase). I'm going to pass on that "deal", but I am curious to watch from the sidelines (or from my own track car) . Unfortunately, I think I need to work Monday and probably won't be there.

I know 1G has a similar deal where they will apply your travel expenses to a purchase (to Cincy) and pick you up at the airport for a test drive.

I've sat in an M12-3R, but never was able to drive it. I think with 2,400 lbs and 425hp, it would be quite a hoot!

Let me know if you decide to visit Denver or Cincy...

Thanks,

I'll keep you posted. 1gRacing is sending some brochures next week, and I'm supposed to speak to a Dean Rosen from 1g afterwards. Imagine a road-worthy ("almost production"-okay, so the engine still needs to be inserted: "Batteries not included" ) car for nearly under $100K that can smoke a 911 Turbo!

Glad some fellow rennteamers have decided to climb on the noble-train with me

Quote:
    Al Pettee said:
    Thanks,

I'll keep you posted. 1gRacing is sending some brochures next week, and I'm supposed to speak to a Dean Rosen from 1g afterwards. Imagine a road-worthy ("almost production"-okay, so the engine still needs to be inserted: "Batteries not included" ) car for nearly under $100K that can smoke a 911 Turbo!

Yeah, I was told around $95k already assembled (there are 3 shops in Denver that are certified to do the install). The cool thing about this car is the low weight. Few cars out there that weigh under 2,500lbs with such amenities and capabilities. This thing weighs 700 lbs less than the new Cayman S, but has 130hp more and a ton more torque, with racing AP brakes, integrated roll cage, racing harnesses, etc. Cost is about the same as a well-optioned 997S...

Lap times are somewhere between a GT2 and CGT on most tracks...

Quote:
    Mike S said:
    Glad some fellow rennteamers have decided to climb on the noble-train with me

Mike,

I understand the rolling chassis is from High-Tech in Port Elizabeth, SA. What kind of wait is it to get one ready to drive in SA?

Grant,

Do you know anything about the turbo's they use? I also read in one of the reviews someone questioned the durability of the modded Ford engine. I wonder if that was a low blow from a writer who couldn't honestly criticize the car's performance.

Quote:
    ElTonioni said:

ElTonioni,

Don't worry, the M14 is Noble's "GT" car. I'll be content with my P996TSCab for GT-type applications, and with the 997TT in my future plans. That M400, on the other hand, man, that car looks hellacious. I could seriously be doing my part to buttress the British automotive industry in the next several months. Aston who. . . ?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777588 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441850 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262832 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261042 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85318 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5611 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880724 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816137 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM