Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: New 997TT spy shots

Amen

RC,
    my mom always tells the story that as a little 2-3 year old kid as i wasnt yet able to read and hardly to speak, i used to ask her what kind of car it was and she always had to check it out. and I would aks for every exotic car!
    guess your wife will have to do it this way too if your son has inherited only half the passion you have!!

BTW: the expertise my mum aquired by checking car names helped her one day: an armed robbery took place in the very early seventies at a bar in our house in Milano where we lived. she was the only person able to tell the police what kind of car the robbers had used and that was a maserati! the carabinieri were very doubtful about the judgment of that young blond and german lady with long legs, but when the gang got caught it was a maserati indeed!! she's still proud about that (and I'm proud of her!)

Quote:
    turbolite said:
    ...BTW: the expertise my mum aquired by checking car names helped her one day...

Great story. So, where does your Mom live now - just in case I'd be... you know... hiding from the police...

RC, there are worse addictions than the car virus - I'd say a high percentage shares it with you. I don't think there is a cure - maybe except for driving a Lada in St. Tropez.

Quote:
    Honestly, I love the F430 but it wouldn't be the car for me. I want something which doesn't attract too much attention but still outruns almost everything out on the street. Not that I really need it but it is a good feeling to know that you can...if you want to.

maybe something is genetically wrong with me... but each time i've got the feeling there's a driver in a fast car who wants to compete... i slow down and let him pass. i love to drive fast, i love twisty B roads... but traffic racing isn't my cup of tea.

Quote:

I owned a 996 Turbo with 543 HP on the paper. After driving such a monster, only a Enzo would be a real upgrade. The 997 Carrea S was some sort of VERY nice interlude to have fun without spending too much money. The 997 Turbo S is exactly what I was waiting for, my car for the next four years without having to regret it or to want something else.

you are that sure yet? i don't know what the 997 TT will look like yet (well, obviously ) but i guess it'll get the 997 old school-headlights (with added LED indicators) and this generic boxster interior. even 700 HP couldn't compensate this lack of distinctiveness IMO. the sense of occasion i get when just sitting behind the F430 steering wheel... i've never experienced anything like it yet.

Quote:
    I never understood why you sold your GT3 RS to get a F430 but at the same time I don't understand why somebody would own a F430 Spider and 996 Turbo with lots of cohones but love to drive around in a BMW 7 series Diesel (hi... ).

definitely the perfect fleet!
    (and a big hello from me as well!)

...about the GT3 RS: you are correct in a way -- the F430 is not an alternative to the GT3 RS, neither an upgrade... it's different. but since i'm not tracking cars and more into the "emotion" factor about sports cars, it was the logical next step for me. it would have been perfect to keep the GT3 RS, but... monetary limits...

Quote:
    I can't even drive my wife's Boxster S relaxed, this is me. And the funny thing is: people who know me, know that I'm actually the most relaxed person in the world. Maybe I just need that car thing like some sort of balance therapy to keep my engine (body/brain/etc.) up and running.

same with me... but not in the F430! i'm completely relaxed in this car... i feel kind of out of this world, detached, not belonging to the traffic around me (and i used to be a slightly choleric driver )

Quote:
    For me, my car isn't a car. It is a toy. When I look at my two year old boy who loves his toy cars and carries them around with him all the time...this is ME. I love cars because I love playing with them. And even if they aren't always stylish (my son rips off the wheels, doors, mirrors, etc. from his toy cars but still loves to play with those wrecks), I love playing with them.

i'm a late bloomer. cars did not interest me up to my early 20's when i got a 3 series convertible, then the virus broke out -- as a kid i was only into space ships i even did not want to get a driver's license, my father kind of forced me to... strange...

1. no, I didn't drive myself a F430, I just drove IN it as a co-pilot. I like the F430 a lot and if I had the money to own several sports cars at the same time, I would surely own a F430 too. But it is too flashy for me, a bit too stylish, I'm more into that semi-aggressive technical Porsche 911 style thing.
    2. the 911 has a certain drive feel, almost no car on this planet has. Even the Boxster feels completely different, although they share a lot of parts. I drove a F355, a F360, none of these cars was even close to the typical 911 feel, especially my Carrera S with 20 chassis. I'll get the chance to drive a F430 sooner or later but I don't think this will change my decision. When the 996 Turbo showed up, the 360 was a pretty new and "revolutionary" Ferrari model at that time back in 2000. My first trip was to South France one month after I picked up one of the first 996 Turbos built to specs on this planet. Two days after dealer presentation. Like I said: built to my specs. I smoked every car in South France, including two F360. I was so disappointed with the F360 but at the same time so proud of the 996 Turbo.
    3. I've seen the 997 Turbo, not the S though. Imagine a 996 Turbo changed to 997 style with a few Cayman elements and some improvements here and there. Nothing spectacular but very very nice. I WANT it. Definetely.
    4. I heard about a possible Turbo S a few months ago. When I heard that the 997 Turbo gets 480 HP, I was sure that the Turbo S gets over 500 HP. Now the rumor is 525 HP which makes this car a "monster". The 996 Turbo was 8(!) seconds faster from 0-300 kph than the 360 Modena. Now can you imagine how the difference between the F430 and 997 Turbo S will be? At least the same.
    5. the best part: quality. Since Porsche increased production, quality has been brought to a new level. You guys may not realize it because you read about problems here on the forum but Porsche really NEVER had such a GOOD quality in their entire history. I doubt Ferrari will ever hit that quality level.
    6. Fiat: Ferrari stands and falls with Fiat. Right now, Fiat seems to struggle for survival, even more than before. So what is going to happen to Ferrari? The money from mother Fiat already seems to flow slowlier, it may even have come to an stop. How can Ferrari develop and build their cars without the engineering and supplier capacity of their mother Fiat? I have some doubts and I think that sooner or later, Ferrari will be a perfect candidate for being taken over. This may not be a bad thing but I really don't want to be caught in the middle of such a situation.
    7. Resale value? I never cared. I buy the cars for me, not for selling them. Of course it is important how much you get for a used car when you want to sell it but even if my Porsche would be worth nothing after 5 years, I would still buy one.

This is me, can't help it. I'm not a Ferrari type of guy, maybe I don't have the money or the guts or the right neighbors or the right job to be one. But one thing I know for sure: when I drive one of my Porsches, I'm feeling good. And this is ALL I need.

Quote:
    RC said:
    But one thing I know for sure: when I drive one of my Porsches, I'm feeling good. And this is ALL I need.

Amen!

Quote:
    RC said:I heard about a possible Turbo S a few months ago. When I heard that the 997 Turbo gets 480 HP, I was sure that the Turbo S gets over 500 HP. Now the rumor is 525 HP which makes this car a "monster".

Yeah, wasn't that rumor started by me? See my post on this forum from August, 25, 2005.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Imagine a 996 Turbo changed to 997 style with a few Cayman elements and some improvements here and there. Nothing spectacular but very very nice. I WANT it. Definetely.

You mean the circular fog lights in the middle of the front grill and the side grills from the Cayman will be on the turbo?

Thanks RC great post !

Yes! Thank you RC- great.

RC You are right about many ownership aspects.

Ferrari driving is peculiar. Everyone wants to race you, cut you off or gawk and parking creates a circus.

Driving one you really do miss Porsches lower center of gravity, better traction and aggressive spirit.

Ferrari ownership is another issue. Its usually dealer only for service. Pricing on parts and simple fixes is often ridiculous.

Resale gets difficult if you put Porsche like mileage on them.

In the states I think more people buy 430's so the "other" guy cant get one then actually buy them to drive them.

The entire Ferrari owner subculture is a pretty strange stew
    of arrogance and a "look at me" mind set. Most normal people
    prefer discretion over being a rolling tribute to perceived excess. In some neighborhoods they are no big deal, but when you leave your own bit of residential paradise it gets dicey and they draw cops like flys on sh$t.

Enjoy the 997 Turbo S! Since the GT3 is built from the C4S body, have you considered getting one instead and having rear seats fitted?

RC I agree with all you say and always felt with Porsche there was no substitute ... but when I look at the 430 Spider it really has a strong visual appeal like no other Ferrari has ever had for me , does anyone feel the same . If there was no added markup that you must pay and could just go in and get this car at sticker it would be a hard choice . I bet a 997 turbo cab with all the options will be close to the sticker of this .

It is like the Porsche is the practical choice but the 430 looks like it may be more fun ... I wonder if the Turbo will bring big money over sticker like the 430 Spider .

RC, why extra 40-50kg?? on the 997 tubro vs 996 turbo
    3.6 vs 3.8 ? more airbags ?

Quote:
    OCEAN said:
    RC I agree with all you say and always felt with Porsche there was no substitute ... but when I look at the 430 Spider it really has a strong visual appeal like no other Ferrari has ever had for me , does anyone feel the same . If there was no added markup that you must pay and could just go in and get this car at sticker it would be a hard choice . I bet a 997 turbo cab with all the options will be close to the sticker of this .

It is like the Porsche is the practical choice but the 430 looks like it may be more fun ... I wonder if the Turbo will bring big money over sticker like the 430 Spider .

Of course the 430 is more fun.
    Go with your heart OCEAN.

************Resurected Thread:*********************

Everyone hated this last time! What's going on? Now the new pics are out - everyone loves it!

Quote:
    mish said:

Everyone hated this last time! What's going on? Now the new pics are out - everyone loves it!

Because these pictures are photoshopped and there are some significant differences with the "real" pictures.

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    Quote:
    mish said:

Because these pictures are photoshopped and there are some significant differences with the "real" pictures.

Nah, the real reason is that all the Lambophiles and Ferrariphiles like to mock the P test mules/camo-ed models.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776694 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441509 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262673 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260810 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85083 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5497 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880520 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815648 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM