Crown

Board: Motor Sports Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Porsche 963

And the win goes to Porsche. #7.

What a race, within a second for the last 45mins or so after such a long race.

The 963 held up. #5,6,7 all on the lead lap. #85 also finished.

Next up will be to see if they can do the Daytona Le Mans double. 

At least one of the Fords finished the race, pretty good effort after they come back to sports car racing. That sports car field is diverse !! so many different brands racing, that's lovely.

--

Porsche vs. Cadillac and Cadillac is one of the few automakers to offer a manual in a sedan. 

What does manual has to do with racing?

BMW also have manual cars yet they finished dead last in class. 

Ferrari don't have manuals anymore yet they won their class, over Porsche, Ford, BMW who all have manual cars, and Aston who only just recently got rid of theirs. Not to mention Corvettes. 

--

Poor baby, did that upset you with the mention of a manual transmission for Cadillac?  It was posted as a bit of irony as  Cadillac almost won that race and while the marque is seen as an old person’s luxury car, they do make some cars aimed for the driving enthusiast. 

Still don't see the relationship between having manual cars and winning races🤔

Old people are attached to manuals however, they are afraid of progress, perhaps that's why Cadillac are still putting manuals in their sedans, they know their demogpahics well. These people still think it's the 1960s where manuals are the faster car and automatics are clunky slush boxes. We are long past that. 

Semis are all manual too, forgot last time I heard someone calling them driving enthusiast's cars.............

Did I get your panties in a bunch by not blindly worshiping manuals? 

I can drive manuals, however I don't demand manuals, it's a period correct thing. Older driver's cars are all manuals, I don't mind having them and using them. New current driver's cars don't have manuals, there are some oddities but most are dual clutch, which is the performance option, it keeps the driver hands on the steering wheel at all time for maximum control, enjoyment and feedback. 

--

Nice win for Porsche. Can’t believe that I’ve been watching Porsche race for well over 50 years and still get anxious to see the final result. Pretty impressive that an auto maker can remain devoted to hard-core racing for so long. Proud to be a Porsche owner and a Porsche fan.

Got the noise out of the way and now back on topic.

The race between Blomqvist's Cadillac and Nasr's Porsche came down to a sprint final in the last 30 mins. Literally nose to tail the whole time. Porsche Penske's pit crew wont them the race with a slightly quicker stop to gain that track position. Bravo. 

Thompson's car fire and yellow flag did caused Blomqvist a chance at the win however. Also caused Thompson to lose 2nd place in class. But that's racing, anything and everything can happen. It's what makes endurance racing exciting. 

Nasr really drove the wheels off the 963 in that last stint, driving 105% of that car entering turn 1 a few times. What car control! 

A black eye for IMSA however, cutting the race short by just under 2 minutes. They seemed confused about the timing clock.

Could Nasr hang on for 1 more lap at the end? Very likely, that 963 has the slightest of edge on top speed, no matter how hard Blomqvist tried, he just can't quite get close enough. The 963 also have a secondary advantage coming out of corners, it just exit corners that little bit faster than the Caddy and staying ahead. 

Porsche has a proper race car now with this year's 963. All 4 cars survived 24 hours, and at least a couple if not 3 of them are quick enough to challenge for the win. Now it's up to the BoP gods. And also how they will stack up against the Ferrari. 

The 919 had teething problem the first year also, so things could be looking good. 

--

Amazing race! Congratulations to Porsche Penske!

However, if the ACO/FiA do not correct the BoP between the LMH and LMDH, then Le Mans is going to be a very long one for Porsche.

Condesed highlights.

--

Spyderidol:

However, if the ACO/FiA do not correct the BoP between the LMH and LMDH, then Le Mans is going to be a very long one for Porsche.

BoP will always be a big issue, but I means, FiA do try to put on a good show, last Le Mans it was Ferrari's return to Le Mans, that holds a higher ground than Porsche trying to win 'again'. Porsche didn't do themselves any favour by having an unreliable car. This year I see the BoP will go back to Porsche's favour. 

Honestly, I don't think FiA want to lose Porsche again. Le Mans was dismal when Porsche took time off after the 919. It is/was/will always be the big draw there at Le Mans, they have a freaking giant permanent building there for christ sake.

--

I honestly think FiA should bring back those LMP2 cars during F1 races. Like, have them in the same field and running at the same time as F1 cars. That will be FUN!

LMP2 drivers have zero driving standard, it will be pure chaos when they fight among themselves and also being passed by F1 cars, they wouldn't care if that's Verstappen passing or Yuki or Stroll, they will not give a fuck. That's gonna be great fireworks for entertainment!

--

Whoopsy:
    Spyderidol:

BoP will always be a big issue, but I means, FiA do try to put on a good show, last Le Mans it was Ferrari's return to Le Mans, that holds a higher ground than Porsche trying to win 'again'. Porsche didn't do themselves any favour by having an unreliable car. This year I see the BoP will go back to Porsche's favour. 

Honestly, I don't think FiA want to lose Porsche again. Le Mans was dismal when Porsche took time off after the 919. It is/was/will always be the big draw there at Le Mans, they have a freaking giant permanent building there for christ sake.

You are more optimistic than me.

The BoP for yesterdays race was not perfect (Porsche not benefitted - very high weight), but at least it was relatively reasonable.

Fingers crossed for WEC

Fantastic win for the 963 - this should motivate for Le Mans 2024kiss.

A perfect end to my "Porsche" weekend at Zell am See for the "FAT ICE RACE" with the whole Porsche Family - I will post pics later in my other thread.

Blueflame

Whoopsy:

Old people are attached to manuals however, they are afraid of progress, perhaps that's why Cadillac are still putting manuals in their sedans, they know their demogpahics well. These people still think it's the 1960s where manuals are the faster car and automatics are clunky slush boxes. We are long past that. 

Semis are all manual too, forgot last time I heard someone calling them driving enthusiast's cars.............

I can drive manuals, however I don't demand manuals, it's a period correct thing. Older driver's cars are all manuals, I don't mind having them and using them. New current driver's cars don't have manuals, there are some oddities but most are dual clutch, which is the performance option, it keeps the driver hands on the steering wheel at all time for maximum control, enjoyment and feedback. 

Once again, the comment about Cadillac and manuals were to provide some information about Cadillac to readers in the rest of the world that might not be aware of these models.  Cadillac in Europe offers only a tepid little crossover, not the high performance Blackwing models.   Manuals, outside the race venue, are still preferred to a wide swathe of motoring enthusiasts as noted in this very recent Autocar article.  https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/manual-showdown-bmw-m2-vs-honda-civic-type-r-vs-mazda-mx-5

Whoopsy:

I honestly think FiA should bring back those LMP2 cars during F1 races. Like, have them in the same field and running at the same time as F1 cars. That will be FUN!

LMP2 drivers have zero driving standard, it will be pure chaos when they fight among themselves and also being passed by F1 cars, they wouldn't care if that's Verstappen passing or Yuki or Stroll, they will not give a fuck. That's gonna be great fireworks for entertainment!

I'd watch that  Smiley

Spyderidol:
    Whoopsy:
    Spyderidol:

You are more optimistic than me.

The BoP for yesterdays race was not perfect (Porsche not benefitted - very high weight), but at least it was relatively reasonable.

Fingers crossed for WEC

I had a chat with one of the drivers, this year's 963 behaves much better than last year's. It is more predictable, not perfect yet, the hybrid energy system still needs tuning (energy usage), but overall they can trust the car more, and that's a big plus for racing drivers. 

That was the knock for last year's 963, it was difficult to drive, drivers aren't getting the most out of it and it's not reliable to boot. 

Porsche already extended an invite to me to go to Le Mans this year before the Daytona weekend, last year the invite didn't come till March. Guessing they are a bit more confident.

--

CGX car nut:
    Whoopsy:

Once again, the comment about Cadillac and manuals were to provide some information about Cadillac to readers in the rest of the world that might not be aware of these models.  Cadillac in Europe offers only a tepid little crossover, not the high performance Blackwing models.   Manuals, outside the race venue, are still preferred to a wide swathe of motoring enthusiasts as noted in this very recent Autocar article.  https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/manual-showdown-bmw-m2-vs-honda-civic-type-r-vs-mazda-mx-5

Written by a manual lover. So?

Like I said, transmission choices is a period correct thing, not unlike fuel injection vs carburetors. There are still diehards who swear by their carburetors and their 'ability' to tune a carburetors too.

Having a manual or not does not make a car a 'driver's car'. That is independent of how a car is tuned and designed. There are cars with manuals that's not a driver's car, and there are cars that are driver's car without a manual. 

--

We must mention Porsche's latest Motorsport success after winning the Daytona 24 hours.

Last weekend, the 963 won a triple podium at Qatar 6 hour race, the inaugural WEC race of the season.

Moreover, Manthey won the new LMGT3 category with the GT3 R. No RSR's this year.

https://www.fiawec.com/en/race/result/4861

Go Porsche kiss

--

"Porsche....and Nothing else matters"

Fantastic news, looking forward to Le Mans, will be present again this year.

--

1988 Peugeot 205 Rallye / 1991 Mercedes-Benz 500E / 2004 Porsche 996 GT3 RS  / 2022 BMW M5 CS

kisskisskiss

Blueflame

blueflame:

Fantastic win for the 963 - this should motivate for Le Mans 2024kiss.

A perfect end to my "Porsche" weekend at Zell am See for the "FAT ICE RACE" with the whole Porsche Family - I will post pics later in my other thread.

Blueflame

It was a great performance by Porsche. The BoP looked to be OK. I continue to be very suspicious of both Ferrari and Toyota. I'm willing to bet my left testicle that when Le Mans (the actual race) comes around, they will "suddenly" find an "unexpected" burst of speed. Once politics is introduced into racing, then its very difficult to quell suspicious minds.

In the meanwhile, we can sit back and enjoy some great racing.

IMSA- 12 Hours of Sebring this weekend!

Hope Porsche is luckier this year. I was at Sebring last year, and Porsche was leading in positions one and three with 17 minutes to go. Albuquerque, who was running second, made what I thought was a reckless move and took all three leading cars out of contention. 

Wonderbar:

Hope Porsche is luckier this year. I was at Sebring last year, and Porsche was leading in positions one and three with 17 minutes to go. Albuquerque, who was running second, made what I thought was a reckless move and took all three leading cars out of contention. 

Indeed! It was a shame. Fingers crossed for this year.

Very poor qualifying.

More than half way done, the 963s aren't sitting pretty. 

--

Whoopsy:

More than half way done, the 963s aren't sitting pretty. 

ugly

Just as I typed that, the leading Caddy took itself out of the race.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776836 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441572 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262702 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260846 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85124 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5520 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880567 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815723 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM