Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Need your expertise & advice - cars to buy??

Hi all -

Thanks for the many great responses! First some specific answers:

69bossnine - If TX is the destination, a pickup will likely be in the mix. Different kind of fun, and I agree very useful.

Ferdie - Yeah, the pickup is pretty American. But I don't know, there is something fun about Saturday morning runs to the local hardware store in a pickup. Male Americana yes, but I don't know, enjoyable. Living in Asia for the last two years, I kind of miss it.

STRADALE - I like your thinking. Love Turbos and Cabs. Never tried the Turbo cab but I imagine it is much fun. Normally it would probably blow the budget, but there is that lease option. Hmmm. As far as Mercedes, I have never owned one, but I am sure she would love it.

wtsnet - Brave I don't know. But I have been relishing the opportunity to go through the selection process and knew that there would be a lot of good advice. Plus it's fun!! Yeah, I must admit that Range Rovers are very sexy, but I have heard they rank very low in JD Powers Initial Quality survey. As far as fairness, please consider what I have been commuting in for the last two years (below). I have paid my penance and the automitive universe owes me a carmic debt!

RC - Option one sounds very nice indeed. But then again, so does option two. As far as fuel consumption, it isn't for the money, just for environmental consideration. After living in a major Chinese city, I have seen the future of environmental degredation (or maybe past) and it isn't pretty. Or maybe I'm just personally trying to compensate for US non-compliance to the Kyoto Accord...

I don't think I can do the Cadillac. For me it is a bit too suburban ganster/thug, and I am not sure the quality is there. Plus, at $55K, Mercs and BMWs are viable alternatives. I'm a sucker for German cars. I would love a GT3, but maybe you're right.

Texas911 -

VKSF - Good point about the S-Class, but my wife is 25 and maybe a bit short. She might look really silly driving it.

FSU-997S - Yeah a nice old sailboat is in the plans for the weekend - supposing we end up in Vancouver or California.

Al Pettee - Awesome suggestions, but now I am $50K? over budget. My wife has been very understanding that buying these cars is of some considerable importance, but there is a limit.

MMD - I kind of agree about not driving a 997 everyday, but on the other hand, life IS short. I lived in Colorado before moving to China, and remember that one of my neighbors had a C4 with snow tires and a ski rack. I gave him huge credit for taking it up skiing every weekend. Something very sexy about a Porsche driven that way. I am sure Dr. Porsche was smiling. On the other hand, yeah parking lot damage sure sucks, and I am not wealthy enough to disregard $5000 scrapes.

schmuy - Thanks for the insight to Vancouver. In many ways it is my first choice, and it is definately #1 for my wife. If that's where I end up, I'll PM you.

Thoma - Very reasonable choice. BMW X? is high on the list of considerations.

Ente - Lot's of recommendations for A6s. Do you have one? How are they?

So for the general, here are my current thoughts (though they are eveolving as I read more):

I am not sure about the Cayenne/S/Turbo. I just don't quite like the way it looks. I've never driven one, and maybe that would compensate?? I have read that the X5 has great safety ratings, but they are starting to look dated. Anyone have experience with X3s? Someone mentioned a 2007 X5 - are they being refreshed or all new? I would love to get her an ML or Range Rover, but the prices are higher, and for the money I would want safety, style and reliability. Are AMG models reliable? Anyone know anything about the Range Rover Sport?

For me, a Porsche would be nice. The one car model could include:

997S, C4S, TT or Cabs of said. X51 would be nice. TT would be a great option, but not sure about the timing. I guess I could buy a 996TT, maybe even used, and hang on to it for 6-12 months until the 997TT is available?? Any AMG worth considering, or an Aston Martin?

Two car model daily: BMW, Audi, Merc or a pickup are all possibilities. I'd love to try an AMG sometime.
    Two car model sports car: Preferably a cab of some sort...? Ariel Atom 2 to a Boxster S, to a 997S to ??? A Z06 and a Diesel F350 Crew Cab Dually? (I know wrong message board!)

Anyway, thanks for the great ideas - please keep them coming. If you were spending $150-$200K for 2 or 3 cars, what would you get?

Kindest regards,

Paul

My current daily driver, btw.

I just like Audis, and have driven my share. My family is hooked on the brand where the budget allows... anything from the A3 to A/S8. Having driven an A6 Avant TDI for 6 weeks last year myself on a Europe tour (3000+ miles), I can only recommend it. The TDI wasn't overly exciting but worlds more responsive than the Merc 220 CDI I drove a few months later in comparison. The 3.2/4.2 engines available in the US should provide decent power, and the car as a whole feels just solid. Besides, the quattro AWD gets you anywhere and there's enough room for a family (though not as much as in a Durango ).

I know that there's a huge difference in European vs North American tastes. That's fine.

But, honest query: Why is NA so into having sedans? (ie cars with trunks). A hatchback or an estate/touring/avant/station-waggon is much more practical, surely. I've always been a little bemused. Over here, small sedans like the Jetta don't sell well, only favoured by pensioners who must equate having a trunk with security.

Still not convinced by the pickup-as-perfect-allrounder. What do you do when it rains?
    Don't people steal stuff from the back of it?
    What stops your dogs jumping out?

The main reason why people over here got double-cab pickups as company cars a few years back was that they were classed as commercial vehicles, and hence taxed much much less.

I know you all must conversely think that Europeans are nuts for not loving trucks.

And just as a comparison:
    F150 - 5.4l V8 - 300hp,365lb/ft@3700rpm (from ford.com)
    VW Touareg - 5.0l V10 Diesel - 313PS (308hp?), 553lb/ft@2000rpm. (from vw.co.uk)

Quote:
    PTM said:As far as fairness, please consider what I have been commuting in for the last two years (below). I have paid my penance and the automitive universe owes me a carmic debt!

You've earned it! Hope you have loads of fun choosing. That's what I'm really jealous of!

Quote:
    PTM said:I am not sure about the Cayenne/S/Turbo. I just don't quite like the way it looks. I've never driven one, and maybe that would compensate?? I have read that the X5 has great safety ratings, but they are starting to look dated. Anyone have experience with X3s? Someone mentioned a 2007 X5 - are they being refreshed or all new? I would love to get her an ML or Range Rover, but the prices are higher, and for the money I would want safety, style and reliability. Are AMG models reliable? Anyone know anything about the Range Rover Sport?

Landrover reliability used to be worse, but is now better after BMW and Ford ownership. I know what you mean though. Mercedes quality seems to have slipped a lot recently. Many people reporting faults, so be wary. X3 vs X5 ... I'd go X5, though it's getting a little long in the tooth. X3 is just a little too small and costs almost as much as the X5.
    Audi Q7 nearly out. Plus the VW Touareg. Both German, both safe, decent handling and well built. Also consider Volvo XC90.

Range Rover Sport, while looking good in previews now seems like a white elephant, just a lower Range Rover, not too sporty unless you go for the Supercharged version. I think it's based on LR03 platform, but I'm not sure. I think if you can get over the Cayenne looks, it's the best handling. But that might not be a priority, and you'd have to get one of the gas-guzzling high-powered ones to complement the handling.

Quote:
    PTM said:...or an Aston Martin?
    ...Two car model sports car: Preferably a cab of some sort...? Ariel Atom 2 to a Boxster S...

Ooh, Lotus Elise? Or they're bringing out a new bigger one (New Esprit?) soon. Cheap, resonably practical, soft-top, excellent fun. Smaller and frailer than a Boxster though, though Toyota engine they now use should be more reliable than the old Rover one. Atom? You're having a laugh! Fun, yes. Practical no!

Defintely consider Aston AMV8. Very nice.

Hi PTM,
    For an SUV I would suggest the new ML or the new Audi Q7.
    American SUV are not as good quality and safety wise.
    The X5 is dated and the Cayenne is fat, but that's just my opinion.
    Q7 is very large but not a problem in Oncle Sam's country.
    As a sports car, 911 of course. It seems you can afford it and it's the sort of sports car everyone should own at least once in his life!
    Daily driver, Audi.
    Better quality than Merc and BMW, will drive nearly as well as the Beemer but you won't like a wanker in it.
    Plus for the great drive feedback you'll have the 911.
    I don't know about BMW in the States, but here in the UK, they're all driven by morons. Some image thing I guess, pretty similar in France, voiture de racaille!

Quote:
    Fanch said:I don't know about BMW in the States, but here in the UK, they're all driven by morons.

I would concur! Sweeping generalisation perhaps, but if you're going to get overtaken recklessly by an exec trying to squeeze into your braking zone to make sure he gets there 30 seconds before you, you can bet it's going to be a BMW! probably the main reason I've never bought one. Good cars though, apart from that and the Bangle factor.

Quote:
    wtsnet said:
    Quote:
    Fanch said:I don't know about BMW in the States, but here in the UK, they're all driven by morons.

I would concur! Sweeping generalisation perhaps, but if you're going to get overtaken recklessly by an exec trying to squeeze into your braking zone to make sure he gets there 30 seconds before you, you can bet it's going to be a BMW! probably the main reason I've never bought one. Good cars though, apart from that and the Bangle factor.

Indeed, very good cars as an all round package but similar experiences here.
    It's a detail but one thing I like in the UK is the way driver's are so courteous to eachother (at least where I live in Northern Scotland).
    Some streets or roads are narrow and one always stops and flashes his lights to indicate the oncoming drivers he can come through, the latter raises his hands as a thank you sign as he drives by, it's a minor details but IMO very civic.
    Well dig that, everytime I've had a car storm past me and not waving his hand, everytime time, I promised, it was a BMW driver.
    I love the brit proverb: "BWM, made by Germans, driven by wankers" So true!

Please note that everytime I've been to Houston which is a lot, they have no idea about waving to each other to say thank you or whatever. Pretty much the worst drivers I've ever encountered in the sense that they are not civic and the general driving skills are awful. Having said that, they don't have narrow lane issues and they drives so slow that it's not really an issue.
    In Italy for examples, they are ruthless and fight their way in but at least they know how to drive.

My wife had an ML. It was the worst vehicle I've owned in 41 years of driving and the new ones dont even have frames any more. There's no logic to buying a small SUV. Get a Linclon Navigator or something that size. You can carry an ML in the back if you really want one.

Sorry to hear about the ML. Was it 2005?

Anybody have an X3?

Thanks,

Paul

Quote:
    PTM said: Sorry to hear about the ML. Was it 2005?

No, it was a 2001, if I remember correctly. Besides the mechanical failures, the wheelbase is too short and the ride suffers for it. There's more room in an average sedan. We're going on vacation in an hour and you'd need two ML's to pack everything I just put into my wife's Navigator.

Quote:
    Still not convinced by the pickup-as-perfect-allrounder. What do you do when it rains?
    Don't people steal stuff from the back of it?
    What stops your dogs jumping out?

Man, that's all EASY stuff!!!! First off, N. American dogs must be a hell of alot smarter than Euro dogs. They don't jump out, they hang their head over the bedside and enjoy the wind!!! And if you've got a little psycho dog that wants to jump, they just ride up front with you, after all, it's just a truck.... For the rest, I'll post you some photos...

1st, my Roll-n-Lock retractable bed cover, closed position, lock on the cover, AND lock on the tailgate latch. Aluminum cover with vinyl membrane:

Now open, fully-retracted. Got my swivel load extender, got my motorcycle tie-downs, ready for anything!!!

Plasticy interior? I think this is pretty damned posh for a $31K 4X4 pickup!!

And one more. I've even got tush heaters...

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    It looks kinda cool but why buy an suv if you can't fit more people or stuff comfortably and cant use it off road or the snow ? And it's the size of a car but drives like an suv. Don't get it but guess it sells okay because I see a lot of them around.

Because wives insist upon owning an SUV, even if there is zero logical purpose to it. End of story.

Can't imagine why you would buy a 997, and then buy some other totally useless vehicle like a 3-series for daily driving. If that's the case, there's no reason not to just drive the 997 daily. If you're going to have a 3rd vehicle to do the brunt of your driving, it should be like a utility knife. Versatile. The "beater" that you use when you don't want to foul up the good cars. Hauling the dogs to the vet, going to the beach, hauling yard trash to the burn pile. Otherwise, I don't understand the justification of having a 3rd vehicle. I have my 997 because I want it. I have my truck because I need it. I would buy a little mid-sized sedan, just..... to...... hate it?? And wonder why I'm plucking around in it while I've got a 997 at home?? My 997S gets pretty decent mileage as it is. To spend $35K for a different car that would only maybe save me $5K in fuel costs for the next several years sounds a bit backwards, financially. If you're going to spend the money on a 3rd car, it oughta serve real needs.

Just random thoughts....

I found the following works perfect for us

997 S cab - My everyday car

Ferrari CS - My weekend fair weather car

Mercedes ML320 - My wife & kids everyday vehicle

Dodge Durango Limited Hemi - My bad weather car & Our beater. Kids & grandparents all get in for trips/dinner together using 1 vehicle. (seats 6 adults and our 2 kids perfect. DVD playing for the kids in the back while adults talk etc. Works great. Very little stress about public /NY City parking. Plus - Trailer tow package Hauls our Motorcycle Trailer & bikes to events etc.

Quote:
    VKSF said:
    Quote:
    GA5656 said:
    Hey! I've also got a new F150 and feel safer in it than any other thing I've driven. Granted it's only for the mass of the thing. The interior, while mostly plastic, is a vast improvement from earlier trucks. Descent audiophile stereo though the acoustics require better speaker placement to sound really good. Agree w/ 69, can't do without a pickup (own 3 houses and NO apartments). Big Blazing Yellow FX4 SCab (not cabriolet) w/ 5.5' bed. ha.. have S Cab truck and getting S Cab 997!

Amazed that any sportscar/risk-reward-conscious guys would put wives and rugrats (that they cared about) in any SUV's/minivans/pickups...most engineers would prob agree that SUV-type platforms are fundamentally flawed from a safety perspective...high center of gravity/rollover risk, weak brakes/handling capabilities, uncertain roof strength, and who wants to put possible missles (sorry, vital storage crap) in the back of any SUV for launch in severe deceleration?....common sense, right? I guess if a near-term divorce is anticipated, an SUV for the wife (and future litigant) may have value, but otherwise?

Seriously, only drive P/F sportscars...and when I rarely drive a "normal" sedan/SUV, I tend to drive much slower (and w/much trepidation) as these vehicles (incl AMG/M cars, ex-SL55) feel much less safe than a P w/their sloppy steering/handling/brakes, etc, no matter how much heavier they may be....

And, if I wanted to possibly injure my back, I'd rather do it w/activities not remotely related to carting crap back to a house from Home Depot....life's too short to spend doing stuff that a maid/gardener/chef/other tradesman can do a lot better than most amateurs who would prob do better focusing on their day jobs....

It sounds logical, I often thought the same thing until I went from putting my 4 and 5 year olds in a car from an SUV. I looked at my wife and my kids in their child seats on the same level (height) as everybody else and way lower then Tractor Trailer bumpers with much less protecting the back and sides and said - Noo, don't think so. In my area every other vehicle is an suv. I much rather have them in an suv then a car. I didn't realize how strongly I felt about this until I saw them so low and unprotected in a regular car.

Quote:
    PTM said:
    Hi all -

Thanks for the many great responses! First some specific answers:

69bossnine - If TX is the destination, a pickup will likely be in the mix. Different kind of fun, and I agree very useful.

Ferdie - Yeah, the pickup is pretty American. But I don't know, there is something fun about Saturday morning runs to the local hardware store in a pickup. Male Americana yes, but I don't know, enjoyable. Living in Asia for the last two years, I kind of miss it.

STRADALE - I like your thinking. Love Turbos and Cabs. Never tried the Turbo cab but I imagine it is much fun. Normally it would probably blow the budget, but there is that lease option. Hmmm. As far as Mercedes, I have never owned one, but I am sure she would love it.

wtsnet - Brave I don't know. But I have been relishing the opportunity to go through the selection process and knew that there would be a lot of good advice. Plus it's fun!! Yeah, I must admit that Range Rovers are very sexy, but I have heard they rank very low in JD Powers Initial Quality survey. As far as fairness, please consider what I have been commuting in for the last two years (below). I have paid my penance and the automitive universe owes me a carmic debt!

RC - Option one sounds very nice indeed. But then again, so does option two. As far as fuel consumption, it isn't for the money, just for environmental consideration. After living in a major Chinese city, I have seen the future of environmental degredation (or maybe past) and it isn't pretty. Or maybe I'm just personally trying to compensate for US non-compliance to the Kyoto Accord...

I don't think I can do the Cadillac. For me it is a bit too suburban ganster/thug, and I am not sure the quality is there. Plus, at $55K, Mercs and BMWs are viable alternatives. I'm a sucker for German cars. I would love a GT3, but maybe you're right.

Texas911 -

VKSF - Good point about the S-Class, but my wife is 25 and maybe a bit short. She might look really silly driving it.

FSU-997S - Yeah a nice old sailboat is in the plans for the weekend - supposing we end up in Vancouver or California.

Al Pettee - Awesome suggestions, but now I am $50K? over budget. My wife has been very understanding that buying these cars is of some considerable importance, but there is a limit.

MMD - I kind of agree about not driving a 997 everyday, but on the other hand, life IS short. I lived in Colorado before moving to China, and remember that one of my neighbors had a C4 with snow tires and a ski rack. I gave him huge credit for taking it up skiing every weekend. Something very sexy about a Porsche driven that way. I am sure Dr. Porsche was smiling. On the other hand, yeah parking lot damage sure sucks, and I am not wealthy enough to disregard $5000 scrapes.

schmuy - Thanks for the insight to Vancouver. In many ways it is my first choice, and it is definately #1 for my wife. If that's where I end up, I'll PM you.

Thoma - Very reasonable choice. BMW X? is high on the list of considerations.

Ente - Lot's of recommendations for A6s. Do you have one? How are they?

So for the general, here are my current thoughts (though they are eveolving as I read more):

I am not sure about the Cayenne/S/Turbo. I just don't quite like the way it looks. I've never driven one, and maybe that would compensate?? I have read that the X5 has great safety ratings, but they are starting to look dated. Anyone have experience with X3s? Someone mentioned a 2007 X5 - are they being refreshed or all new? I would love to get her an ML or Range Rover, but the prices are higher, and for the money I would want safety, style and reliability. Are AMG models reliable? Anyone know anything about the Range Rover Sport?

For me, a Porsche would be nice. The one car model could include:

997S, C4S, TT or Cabs of said. X51 would be nice. TT would be a great option, but not sure about the timing. I guess I could buy a 996TT, maybe even used, and hang on to it for 6-12 months until the 997TT is available?? Any AMG worth considering, or an Aston Martin?

Two car model daily: BMW, Audi, Merc or a pickup are all possibilities. I'd love to try an AMG sometime.
    Two car model sports car: Preferably a cab of some sort...? Ariel Atom 2 to a Boxster S, to a 997S to ??? A Z06 and a Diesel F350 Crew Cab Dually? (I know wrong message board!)

Anyway, thanks for the great ideas - please keep them coming. If you were spending $150-$200K for 2 or 3 cars, what would you get?

I just helped a co-worker buy an X3 (3.0) in May. I talked him into getting the 3.0 because another co-worker that I helped buy an X3 decided on the 2.5. The 2.5 is ridiculousy slow. I wouldn't recommend buying either X3. The ride is really harsh, they're really bare bones and overall fun is nill. Plus they're made in Austria not Germany. Would highly recommend AGAINST an X3.

Regarding the ML - You should look into pricing. The ML350 is very reasonable. For approx $42k you get more than most at that price. If you get a base ML350 it's not too much more than a X3.
    That's why I said Turbo Cab - $150 k plus the ML and you're under budget w/ a 997 Turbo cab instead of a 997 S. I know timing of the cab might be an issue, the car might be a couple of months after you need it but couldn't see getting another Porsche except the Turbo/Turbo cab (if you have the scratch) in the Sping.

Kindest regards,

Paul

I just helped a co-worker buy an X3 (3.0) in May. I talked him into getting the 3.0 because another co-worker that I helped buy an X3 decided on the 2.5. The 2.5 is ridiculousy slow. I wouldn't recommend buying either X3. The ride is really harsh, they're really bare bones and overall fun is nill. Plus they're made in Austria not Germany. Would highly recommend AGAINST an X3.

Regarding the ML - You should look into pricing. The ML350 is very reasonable. For approx $42k you get more than most at that price. If you get a base ML350 it's not too much more than a X3.
    That's why I said Turbo Cab - $150 k plus the ML and you're under budget w/ a 997 Turbo cab instead of a 997 S. I know timing of the cab might be an issue, the car might be a couple of months after you need it but couldn't see getting another Porsche except the Turbo/Turbo cab (if you have the scratch) in the Spring.

Quote:
    PTM said:
    Sorry to hear about the ML. Was it 2005?

Anybody have an X3?

Thanks,

Paul

I have a 2005 X3 we picked up via European delivery earlier this year and couldn't disagree more with Stradale. After trying out at all of the other competitors (and coming very close to choosing the pepper turbo), it seemed to be the perfect choice for us. The others were either too big, too soft, too ornate, or too...Japanese. None of them seemed to be made for driving and utility.

With the sports package, it is actually more fun to drive than my M3. Cargo room is great - it holds about 20 cu. ft. more than the X5 and it's much more nimble. The internal bike rack option is fantastic, interior is easy to clean, the nav and adaptive headlights are great and it's just the right size. The bumpers that everyone criticizes are even a selling point for me since parking in SF is like guerilla warfare.

It is perfect for runs to Home Depot, cleaning out the garage projects, heading to tahoe or on muddy backroad hiking trips - it actually regularly sees snow and mud. It is a great vehicle to complement the 997 arriving in a few weeks.

After driving 1200+ miles through the mountains and snow of the Austria and Germany and comfortably doing 130 on the Autobahn earlier this year, the X3 rocks.

Quote:
    PTM said:
    My current daily driver, btw.

Uah,

great! May I ask what you do for a living in Shanhai?

I am not sure if we could enlighten your view on your future car choice...

You - 997S
    Wife - Range Rover Sport if you only need 5 seats ML350 or wait for Audi Q7 if you need 7 seats

Quote:
    LowPolarMoment said:
    My wife had an ML. It was the worst vehicle I've owned in 41 years of driving and the new ones dont even have frames any more. There's no logic to buying a small SUV. Get a Linclon Navigator or something that size. You can carry an ML in the back if you really want one.

Linclon Navigator-
    Too big for her to have to park where she has to park everyday.
    Almost a lock to get stolen in my area.(my uncles was stolen 3 times before he decided to buy an ML)
    Good chance we'll be laughed at by friends for trying to look homeboy.
    Rides like a big water bed, handles like crap and you might as well have a waterbed full with gas in the back because of the fequent
    $75 fill ups.
    Ugly.
    Most of all it's image problem

My Dodge Durango Hemi is a smarter purchase then a Navigator. It drives and handles better, has as much/more room, is much faster with better gas milaege, you don't look like a wanna be rapper. Can handle off road better and for much less money. Also won all the contests with similar sized suvs including the Navigator.

Sorry to hear you didn't like your ML. Obviously based on ML sales you're in the minority. Our 2003 Mercedes ML with 45,000 miles did not have one problem the whole time we owned it. And the new model ML350 rides even better. The new one is awesome. All the magazine articles I've read agree too.

I would have choosed the Cayenne Turbo over the X3.
    Both guys in my office that bought the car wish they didn't and I tried to tell them before hand. Honestly I don't want to get into how bad I think the X3 is.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Both guys in my office that bought the car wish they didn't and I tried to tell them before hand. Honestly I don't want to get into how bad I think the X3 is.

To each their own. I actually own one and couldn't be happier...well, I'll be happier once the 997 arrives. One family member and two other friends have also purchased them and are just as enthusiastic about theirs. One even switched from an X5.

As with all tools, I guess it depends on how you use it.

Love the Ford pickup.

Quote:
    tnunnery said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:

To each their own. I actually own one and couldn't be happier...well, I'll be happier once the 997 arrives. One family member and two other friends have also purchased them and are just as enthusiastic about theirs. One even switched from an X5.

As with all tools, I guess it depends on how you use it.

How many suv's have you owned ?

My daily driver = 997S
    Wife's vehicle/SUV = Volvo XC90

Bought the XC90 because a) its as safe as an SUV can be (more airbags than the Bush administration) b) has tons of space and 3 rows of seats which comes in handy when family are in town and c) has a pretty well sorted drive with reasonable performance (0-60 in 6.9s) and handling (for an SUV).

I think the Volvo is often overlooked in this segment, and I did look at the X5 and ML but neither worked for us (personal thing I know but I dont like the styling on the ML, even the new one, and think Merc has a long hill to climb to get quality back up to where it needs to be). Downside of the Volvo is that it is heavy on fuel, but nothing new there where SUV's are concerned.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    LowPolarMoment said:

Linclon Navigator-
    Too big for her to have to park where she has to park everyday.
    Almost a lock to get stolen in my area.(my uncles was stolen 3 times before he decided to buy an ML)

That's interesting. The thieves don't even like the ML's.
    Good chance we'll be laughed at by friends for trying to look homeboy.
    They drive Escalades here.
    Rides like a big water bed, handles like crap and you might as well have a waterbed full with gas in the back because of the fequent $75 fill ups.
    Well, you can take some of the $20k you save by not buying a Cayenne and buy gasoline. If you can't afford the gas, get something else.
    Ugly
    An ML is pretty?
    .Most of all it's image problem

My Dodge Durango Hemi is a smarter purchase then a Navigator. It drives and handles better, has as much/more room, is much faster with better gas milaege, you don't look like a wanna be rapper. Can handle off road better and for much less money. Also won all the contests with similar sized suvs including the Navigator.
    Never taking my 2wd Gator off road.

Sorry to hear you didn't like your ML. Obviously based on ML sales you're in the minority. Our 2003 Mercedes ML with 45,000 miles did not have one problem the whole time we owned it. And the new model ML350 rides even better. The new one is awesome. All the magazine articles I've read agree too.

There are a lot of reasons for high sales like, for instance, low price. Here's what you don't get in a Cayenne or an ML. You get a 5800 pound (2wd) body on frame vault for your wife and kids to ride in. Look under a Navigator and check out the frame. Do you see one on the other SUV's?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    779339 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442268 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263124 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261407 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85635 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5814 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881103 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    817610 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM