Crown

Board: AMG Mercedes Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: [2022] Mercedes-AMG SL

CGX car nut:
    RC:
    CGX car nut:
    Whoopsy:

Full hybrid is a new term coined to differentiate mild hybrid cars that can be driven on battery alone vs mild hybrid cars that cannot. Not unlike the term CUV vs SUV, still an SUV at heart but wanted to stress the crossover part. 

In government terms, there is only plugin hybrids and then the others, doesn't matter the term used. Plugin hybrids re treated the same as EVs, while the others are treated like any other normal petro cars. Benefits that applies to EVs are also applies to plugins but not the others. Make sense as mild hybrids can only gets it's power from petro, while plugins can get it from the wall like any other EVs. 

My province here draws a clear line separating plugins from the others. 

Stop parsing in an attempt to dig yourself out of the hole you have created.  Full hybrid is not a new term as it predates mild hybrid.  The term full hybrid is almost thirty years, if not longer, in use.  Mild hybrid has been used by the major automakers for around twenty years to describe systems that include an electric boost mode within the stop-start system.  

Actually, hybrids were called...hybrids...not full hybrids. So I guess you are both right, in a way. Smiley

To the layman yes but for regulations at the manufacturing and governmental levels no.  Recall this lengthy discourse began when someone wanting to call the Corvette e-ray a mild hybrid not a (full) hybrid when that simply isn’t true. 

Every hybrid car is a full hybrid. Care to name a 'half' hybrid offering? 

At the end of the day, the e Ray isn't a plugin hybrid hence it is a mild hybrid. There is no shame in being a mild hybrid dude, it's just lacking a charge port. 

--

waiting for PDK:
    spudgun:

Good way to kill a thread. 👌🏼 

Yes.  Can we please bring it back to RC's R8 forever car?Smiley

Sorry, don't have it anymore. Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), BMW Z4 M40i (2022), Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk (2019 EU)

CGX car nut:
    waiting for PDK:
    spudgun:

Good way to kill a thread. 👌🏼 

Yes.  Can we please bring it back to RC's R8 forever car?Smiley

Think of it as filler until Christian posts a full review and images of his new SL63.  

Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), BMW Z4 M40i (2022), Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk (2019 EU)

Whoopsy:
    CGX car nut:
    RC:
    CGX car nut:
    Whoopsy:

Full hybrid is a new term coined to differentiate mild hybrid cars that can be driven on battery alone vs mild hybrid cars that cannot. Not unlike the term CUV vs SUV, still an SUV at heart but wanted to stress the crossover part. 

In government terms, there is only plugin hybrids and then the others, doesn't matter the term used. Plugin hybrids re treated the same as EVs, while the others are treated like any other normal petro cars. Benefits that applies to EVs are also applies to plugins but not the others. Make sense as mild hybrids can only gets it's power from petro, while plugins can get it from the wall like any other EVs. 

Stop parsing in an attempt to dig yourself out of the hole you have created.  Full hybrid is not a new term as it predates mild hybrid.  The term full hybrid is almost thirty years, if not longer, in use.  Mild hybrid has been used by the major automakers for around twenty years to describe systems that include an electric boost mode within the stop-start system.  

Actually, hybrids were called...hybrids...not full hybrids. So I guess you are both right, in a way. Smiley

To the layman yes but for regulations at the manufacturing and governmental levels no.  Recall this lengthy discourse began when someone wanting to call the Corvette e-ray a mild hybrid not a (full) hybrid when that simply isn’t true. 

At the end of the day, the e Ray isn't a plugin hybrid hence it is a mild hybrid. There is no shame in being a mild hybrid dude, it's just lacking a charge port. 

Yes, half hybrids are either called micro or mild hybrids because the vehicle cannot operate in EV mode for any duration.  Here’s another primer with some pictures so it is easier to comprehend. https://x-engineer.org/micro-mild-full-hybrid-electric-vehicle

Adding a U.S. Department of Energy link explaining the differences two as these are the official regulatory classifications. https://afdc.energy.gov/vehicles/electric_basics_hev.html

So what type of hybrid will the next 911 be? I suspect only mild? So the car won’t get too heavy?

Probably a 48V battery coupled with a small electric motor to help with emission and range.

Also this solution it’s the cheapest for Porsche Smiley

And make the Turbo a hybrid….
    --

There is no try. Just do.

Great timing for this to come out. 

Pentium:

So what type of hybrid will the next 911 be? I suspect only mild? So the car won’t get too heavy?

Probably a 48V battery coupled with a small electric motor to help with emission and range.

Also this solution it’s the cheapest for Porsche Smiley

And make the Turbo a hybrid….
    --

There is no try. Just do.

Porsche is planning, according to what is being reported publicly in their sustainability report, on having mild hybrid models, most likely being the Carrera and Carrera S variants.  The company also announced another hybrid variant, probably a PHEV, as a higher performance model.  There’s also a rumor that the GTS variants will receive the normally aspirated 4.0l motor found in the 718 GTS and GT4.  It wouldn’t be a stretch to project that the GTS could be the higher performance hybrid or the Turbo (S) for that matter.  There could be a bit of component sharing with the Bugatti given that Rimac is known to be working with Porsche on the Taycan and some PHEV models.  We’ll learn more later. 

Enmanuel:

And this is why originally mentioned the Corvette e-ray as another more sportive competitor.  That car has the V8 and all-wheel drive via the hybrid system, meaning it is more an all season driver than the Z06.  As the two noted, the SL looks and sounds great but that interior is too garish to be taken seriously especially with those quality glitches.  So much potential but coming across as bipolar. 

Enmanuel:

I do not agree though, at all and I drove two SL63 on different occasions.

Yes, the interior quality impression could be better for a 200+k car but performance/chassis setup is amazing.

Look here…faster than Cayman GTS 4.0 on the race track, only 2 seconds slower than M3 CS (with semi-slicks, SL had street tires) and we are talking about a 4 km long track here, not that it really matters.

IMG_3487.jpeg
    IMG_3485.jpeg
    IMG_3484.jpeg

--

People need to drive the SL to appreciate it. This is a car developed by AMG, not Mercedes.

The only reason why it is heavier than the former GT Roadster (and still faster on the track) is that AMG had to “accommodate” the hybrid setup into this for the recently presented E Performance version with 816 hp.

Of course the SL63 is no super car but it is a very sporty fast  GT with very good daily driver capabilities and fun to drive.Also it sounds better than any 911 Carrera.

--

CGX car nut:
    Whoopsy:
    CGX car nut:
    RC:
    CGX car nut:
    Whoopsy:

Yes, half hybrids are either called micro or mild hybrids because the vehicle cannot operate in EV mode for any duration.  Here’s another primer with some pictures so it is easier to comprehend. https://x-engineer.org/micro-mild-full-hybrid-electric-vehicle

Adding a U.S. Department of Energy link explaining the differences two as these are the official regulatory classifications. https://afdc.energy.gov/vehicles/electric_basics_hev.html

Hahahaha. One cannot have a 'half' hybrid. It's either full or none. Pretty black and white when talking about hybrids, either it's a mixed drivetrain or it's not. One cannot have 'half'. 

So you want to define another new category, half hybrid? Like, a car has electric motors but it isn't used so it can be called half hybrid? Smiley Or a EV that has a petrol motor but it isn't used? So like a Tesla carrying a Honda generator will be a 'half' hybrid? Jesus get a grip.

For hybrids, there really is only 2. Plugins where one can charge up the battery from the wall, and then there are the others, where the car cannot be charged up from the wall. That's it. It's a pretty black and white separation. Doesn't matter what one want to call 'the others'. 

Chevy wants to use the marketing term 'performance hybrid' for their e-Ray. Cool. But the press had been using that term since, well the 918 came out, when it was the first car to use electric power to augment the car's performance instead of fuel economy, hence the 918 is the OG 'performance' hybrid. But the 918 is a plugin, a different category of hybrid. 

No shame however, Porsche's original Cayenne hybrid wasn't a plugin either. I drove one as a rental in Vegas before. Without the wall charging part, it wasn't really useful, that's why Porsche quickly changed it to a plugin hybrid. 

There is another term, 'strong' hybrid, where manufacturers wanted to differentiate them from the original Prius and be viewed as different from mild hybrid, the original term for non-plugin hybrids, which basically means all non-plugin hybrids. Some do try to micro classify it even finer to distance from the Prius even more, like using the operating voltage, and whether a hybrid can be driven on electric power or not. But at the end of the day, it's still all just marketing jargons. 

Putting a pink Barbie dress on a pig and also put lipstick and eye lashes on a pig, but it's still........a pig. 

Am I being too blunt?

Nothing against the e-Ray, even with it being a mild hybrid, it still remains a very attractive package for me, I like it a lot. But what prevent me from actually ordering one will be the lack of wall charging. Big no no for a 'hybrid'. it defeats the whole purpose of having a hybrid system and gaining governmental and regulation benefits. At the end of the day, such cars are being grouped with regular cars. 

I will buy one when GM decided to finally put a charge port on it.

Or maybe not when the SL63 e-Performance arrives. Such an attractive package. The SL63 is already a winning package, and with the addition of plugin hybrid technology, it gets all the benefits also, zero downside. Well maybe the price.......

--

Enmanuel:

I have my own test road for all cars, every car I have owned done this one road as my benchmark, including my pickups. The Sea to Sky Highway from Vancouver to Whistler. 

Granted my SL63 only did it on winter tires right now, but even on those factory winters, I can comfortably say it rank quite a bit above my Vantage V12 manual in the summer, which I rank above my 911R (That V12 sounds soooooo much better). Just the dual clutch transmission means it is comfortably much higher in rank than manuals, even my 911R, which has a perfect manual that even monkeys can't fuck up a shift. I am very connected with the car through corners as my hands are on the steering wheel, very unlike where I have to take one hand off the wheel to shift every now and then, that's a joy killer. It is not nearly as good as my Exclusive for sure, but it doesn't mean it's bad, hard to match up with a turbo S anyways. And I am not even comparing it with the Exclusive on summers, it can't match it even on winters. Mercedes has too many settings, there isn't a combination of all those settings that I think is comparable to a stock Porsche setting. One don't 'win' with numerous settings, when a car is set up perfect, ONE setting is enough.

The SL is a sporty GT car, and for that category, it is quite accomplished. I would say it's better than my F12 before, which, normally would try to kill me anyways. By the same token, it's better than my FF before. The front-mid engine layout is super nice, even with the 'weight', it still eager to turn. it's a joy to drive once I accepted what it's intended role is. 

Can't take my 992 GT3RS up the same road yet, but I did with my GT4RS in summers. This is no match, but it isn't suppose to.  Don't have a 992 turbo to compare, nor any 911 turbo really; I think it's a match to my 996 turbo S however. The SL's rear wheel steering is just too 'active'. Mercedes do need to tune it down. Which I believe will happen for the new GT. Strangely, I think it just barely edge out the Panamera turbo S........that means the Panamera is REALLY good. 

It's a shit car at its MSRP, no sugar coating that. But at a discount price, it's a fantastic car. 

About the ONLY complaint about the SL I can do is the fuel consumption. Nitpicking. Yeah I know. But it does comsume more fuel for the same distance than just about anything else I have driven over the same road. Even thirstier than the V12 in the Aston, that's saying something. And yes, the Ferrari giant V12s in the F12 and the FF are sipping compared to the Aston V12. NOT EVEN CLOSE. Ferrari is just that much better in utilizing the same amount of fuel. 

I have driven over 100 different automobiles on the same stretch of road for the last 33 years, I would put the SL63 in the top 15% for pure enjoyment. That's saying something about 'a Mercedes'. 

--

Whoopsy:
    CGX car nut:

Hahahaha. One cannot have a 'half' hybrid. It's either full or none. Pretty black and white when talking about hybrids, either it's a mixed drivetrain or it's not. One cannot have 'half'. 

So you want to define another new category, half hybrid? Like, a car has electric motors but it isn't used so it can be called half hybrid? Smiley Or a EV that has a petrol motor but it isn't used? So like a Tesla carrying a Honda generator will be a 'half' hybrid? Jesus get a grip.

For hybrids, there really is only 2. Plugins where one can charge up the battery from the wall, and then there are the others, where the car cannot be charged up from the wall. That's it. It's a pretty black and white separation. Doesn't matter what one want to call 'the others'. 

Is it really so difficult for you to understand?! There are even linked articles above if one is ignorant... 

RC:
    Enmanuel:

I do not agree though, at all and I drove two SL63 on different occasions.

Yes, the interior quality impression could be better for a 200+k car but performance/chassis setup is amazing.

Look here…faster than Cayman GTS 4.0 on the race track, only 2 seconds slower than M3 CS (with semi-slicks, SL had street tires) and we are talking about a 4 km long track here, not that it really matters.

IMG_3487.jpeg
    IMG_3485.jpeg
    IMG_3484.jpeg

First question I ask is the suspension settings the same between North America and Germany since the German driving conditions are different from the slower speeds seen here?

I have no clue to be honest but since you can choose different drive modes, I kind of doubt it that AMG chose a different suspension setup for North America. Can‘t exclude it though… 🤷🏻‍♂️

--

RC:

I have no clue to be honest but since you can choose different drive modes, I kind of doubt it that AMG chose a different suspension setup for North America. Can‘t exclude it though… 🤷🏻‍♂️

Suspension settings even differ countries in Europe, for example.  The British press always stresses that fact when testing a car on the continent versus on the U.K.  There’s a paucity of data on the overall settings for that car. 

Ferdie:
    Whoopsy:
    CGX car nut:

Is it really so difficult for you to understand?! There are even linked articles above if one is ignorant... 

And I already told you I don't fall for marketing buzz words and gimmicks. I call a horse a horse and a dog a dog. 🤷🏻‍♂️

This isn't even 'against' GM, I treat all manufacturers the same. Porsche says something stupid? I call them out too. 

--

RC:

No manufacturers is going to be that stupid to waste so much money and resources tuning for country by country. Just imagine all the different suspension parts they need to stock. Common sense. 

They all have test tracks with different surfaces that mimic roads around the world, smooth concrete, grooved concrete, cobble stones, asphalt, etc. 

Outside of LHD RHD and emission equipment, all cars are the same for all markets. 

Your SL is going to ride exactly the same as my SL. 

--

Whoopsy:

And I already told you I don't fall for marketing buzz words and gimmicks. I call a horse a horse and a dog a dog. 

This isn't even 'against' GM, I treat all manufacturers the same. Porsche says something stupid? I call them out too. 

These are commonly used terms instead of marketing gimmicks. You tell us in plenty of paragraphs how it looks in your unicorn phantasy world but ignore the phrases and classifications commonly used. 

And as I said above, the differentiation between mild and full hybrids is even linked in the government article. 

I do know though that you will come up with some rubbish response trying to tell us that you were right all along the way... even if you weren´t. Smiley

Whoopsy:
    RC:

No manufacturers is going to be that stupid to waste so much money and resources tuning for country by country. Just imagine all the different suspension parts they need to stock. Common sense. 

[...]

Of course there have been differences, even at Porsche. Remember the suspension on the 996 Turbo for North America? Different and higher suspension than ROW...

With the electronic dampers used nowadays it would even be easier, just implement a different suspension programming for the particular market.

AMG GT coupé pricing announced for the United States. https://www.motor1.com/news/712649/2024-mercedes-amg-gt-pricing/

Ferdie:
    Whoopsy:
    RC:

[...]

Of course there have been differences, even at Porsche. Remember the suspension on the 996 Turbo for North America? Different and higher suspension than ROW...

With the electronic dampers used nowadays it would even be easier, just implement a different suspension programming for the particular market.

Absolutely correct.  It’s laughable that one would consider an automotive, in terms of specifications, as fungible for totally different markets with differing rules, regulations, and driving conditions as well as market-specific packages.  A car certified for sale in the United States can not be sold new, or even used sometimes, for example, in Canada let alone the EU.  There are even specific rules and regulations for cars sold in California and a handful of other states that follow CARB standards than the rest of the United States.  

One major difference is bumper height standards where U.S. models tend to have higher ground clearances than its European counterparts.  Then there are rollover standards that are more stringent in the States whilst the EU have more stringent pedestrian impact standards. The insurance industry’s crash tests include a small overlap front impact test that has added structural members in front of the vehicle that are not found in the EU counterparts.  In this test, Ford, among other automakers, initially only added the necessary structural components on the driver’s side but was caught by the insurance institute.  

All of these modifications alters natural frequencies of the vehicle as well as weight distribution necessitating revised spring rates and damping settings.  Many European cars sold in the states are fitted with 130 mph speed limiters because consumers want all season tires as well as the States having much lower speed driving conditions that Germany.  This too alters suspension settings. 

Finally, the United States is updating its lighting standards that date back to 1965!  That’s why the migration to the dynamic lighting systems found on European luxury cars is taking so long. 

CGX car nut:

Finally, the United States is updating its lighting standards that date back to 1965!  That’s why the migration to the dynamic lighting systems found on European luxury cars is taking so long. 

Exactly,

about any major region has their own rules and regulations, North America and Europe being the most significant ones. Regarding lighting, there are so many differing regulations between these two institutions alone. The admission of adaptive lighting in the US is overdue.

Interesting video on collusion in the German auto industry.  Given the discussions above this seems like a suitable place to park this link. https://youtu.be/TOEbs2SzYBo?si=XveuXksH20gGhq8c

CGX car nut:

AMG GT coupé pricing announced for the United States. https://www.motor1.com/news/712649/2024-mercedes-amg-gt-pricing/

I still think the pricing of the AMG GT and the SL is wrong... Smiley

Also interesting: When I configure the new SL63 E Performance in Germany, I automatically get 9% discount from the start.Smiley New AMG GT cars are available for immediate delivery at the Mercedes Online Germany store with a 3% discount. I bet we are going to see 13-16% by next year... Smiley

The new AMG GT and the SL are amazing cars, I also love how they look (the rear lights of the AMG GT are a piece of art in my opinion) but these cars are overpriced, so are the 911 Carrera and Boxster models in my opinion.

--

RC:
    CGX car nut:

I still think the pricing of the AMG GT and the SL is wrong... Smiley

Also interesting: When I configure the new SL63 E Performance in Germany, I automatically get 9% discount from the start.Smiley New AMG GT cars are available for immediate delivery at the Mercedes Online Germany store with a 3% discount. I bet we are going to see 13-16% by next year... Smiley

The new AMG GT and the SL are amazing cars, I also love how they look (the rear lights of the AMG GT are a piece of art in my opinion) but these cars are overpriced, so are the 911 Carrera and Boxster models in my opinion.

--

Mercedes and AMG need to fire that product planning team for the SL and GT pricing.  Why would they ever consider a four cylinder engine appropriate especially with the history of the inline 6 cylinder engines from the beginnings of the line?  Yes, there were four cylinder variants but it’s the six that is the most remembered.  I doubt Mercedes is making much on this car in virtually ever market.  Porsche, to its credit, can’t produce enough 911s meaning its pricing it’s too distorted, unlike the SL. 

Pricing is done by the management (gain margins, etc.) and it worked for a while...

Not sure Porsche pricing is right, there is a lot going on behind the curtains, especially if you want to get a GT model. The Carrera models are available quite fast over here and prices are dropping.

I think people consider Porsche cars to hold their value better than Mercedes/AMG cars, so they prefer to get a Porsche instead. This has nothing to do with driving dynamics and stuff like that, most buyers couldn't care less. Sadly. 

--

WhatsApp Bild 2024-03-20 um 11.02.19_f7afa1fd.jpg
    WhatsApp Bild 2024-03-20 um 11.02.18_bb60d96a.jpg

First pics of my car sent to me by the sales guy...

Pick up is tomorrow. devil

--

I like it RC and I look forward to hear your opinion when you finally get it. Enjoy wink

tso:

I like it RC and I look forward to hear your opinion when you finally get it. Enjoy wink

Thanks, T.  Smiley Smiley

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776761 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441531 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262690 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260825 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85104 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5506 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880538 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815669 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM