Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Need your expertise & advice - cars to buy??

Hi everyone -

I am moving from Asia back home to North America in about six months. Before we came here, my wife and I sold our house, our cars and most of our worldly posessions. When we get home, we have to start over, and one of the fun things about that is that we have to buy all new cars.

We might live in California, we might live in Texas, we might live in Vancouver, or maybe somewhere else. Haven't decided yet. In any case, my wife wants an SUV - preferably something pretty nice - maybe a BMW or Porsche??

For me, a sportscar and a daily driver, or just one car that does it all are the options. We are pretty young, and as yet have no kids, but that might change in a year or three. I will have to drive to work everyday, but it shouldn't be more than 30 minutes in the car each way. Safety is very important - especially for my wife's car. I love her too much to take any chances. Reasonable fuel economy is a plus - mainly for the environment. I will not drive something that gets 9 miles to the gallon.

The only other requirement is that the cars are available to buy around about March/April 2006. In the three car model, one could come later.

So, with a total budget of $150,000 to $200,000, what do you recommend? What would you buy? Why?

Thanks in advance!

Paul

Re: Need your expertise & advice - cars to buy??

Wife - Porsche Cayenne S - $70K nicely loaded up

Your sports car - Porsche 997S - $90K nicely equipped.

Your daily - Toyota Tundra, Ford F150, Nissan Titan, any of which are fantastically comfortable to drive, and refined, and luxurious, PICKUP TRUCKS. Every family needs a truck, for bringing home appliances, for landscape materials that you would DIE seeing dumped into the back or the wife's Cayenne, for towing a boat, for tailgating at football games, etc.etc.etc.... Good mileage?? Not really, but decent enough, certainly not 9 mpg. You can always get a smaller truck, but the amount of utility with those weenie trucks goes down exponentially.

I just sold my F150 Lightning (13.20 second 1/4 mile times with half-ton truck utility!!) because with our new baby, we've got too many kids for me to own a standard-cab truck, and bought a new, FULLY DECKED TO THE GILLS, 2005 F150 Lariat 4X4 Super-crew. It's so nice, quieter inside than a Mercedes, with the Audiophile soundsystem, heated seats, memory seating, etc.etc.etc.... for only $31K with this employee pricing deal combined with $3K cash-back on '05 models. $10K less than the sticker price. A TON of truck for the dough, 4-wheel-drive, and it's as nice as a BMW inside (well, it's close ).

So that's my recipe!! You need a great SUV for the wife, there's no substitute for the 997S for you, and lastly, every home-owning family needs a pickup truck, make it a good one that you enjoy living in during your commute. Heck, the sound system in my F150 is alot better than the Bose in my 997S!!

1.) 997S (C4S if Vancouver)

2.) Audi A6, Infiniti G35 (2006 models @ 298hp)

3.) Nissan Pathfinder (w/full complement of airbags option)
    or sweeten it a little with Land Rover LR3 or Cayenne S.

Land Rover LR3 and a 997S (or C4S).

The LR3 is a fantastic SUV, and very safe (having been in a few biggish accidents in Range Rovers I know Land Rover makes a stout truck)

The 997 is just a great everyday car. Though if you want to be a little different, maybe look at a new M6...

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    ... and lastly, every home-owning family needs a pickup truck, ...

I'd say you've got an American point of view. I can live without...
    I'd say you've got a ton of options to chose from, since Japanese brands are even more into the Sports Utility market than in Europe. Makes a good competion to find the right one:

Wife: Cayenne S, Infinity FX 45 (?), X5 or new ML

You: 997 is definately a great choice, though a bit pricey if you are looking for a second car as daily driver

For you - 997 Turbo Cabriolet
    &
    For your wife/you/family - Mercedes ML 350

Mercedes new ML available now. Turbo available approx. Summer 06

997 Turbo Cab - Reasons - One of the Best sports car in the world. Brand new model. With the cab it's almost like having 2 different cars in one. With the convertible the journey is even more fun then the destination. The best sports car in the world with 2 back seats period. Planning on kids so it's a huge plus. Great everyday vehicle, reasonable on gas compared to other approx. 490hp vehicles. A do it all very high end sports car that would keep you happy for a long time.

Mercedes - Reasons - Very,very safe. Easy to control. Comfortable ride. Good gas milaege. Brand new model is really nice. It's a Mercedes. Resonable price. Great 3 year- 39 month lease deals with little or nothing out of pocket. No maintance costs. One Porsche one Mercedes is very nice combo. It's the vehicle I'm leasing my wife when I trade in her ML320 this January. Had a very good experience with our ML last 3 years. Rather have one VERY high vehicle (Turbo cab) and one nice vehicle (ML) then two high end vehicles (997 S &Cayenne S)

Keep in mind the "all-new" Cayanne is in the process of being finalized - you may find the new model on the road in the very near future and a bit of depreciation on yours. If this doesn't bother you, Cayanne is an excellent choice for your wife.

The SUV with the most clever styling and reasonable gas mileage is the Inifiniti FX 35 2WD (about $40K). But it doesn't appeal to everyone, so see what your wife thinks. As for the remainder, I'd order a 997 Turbo or Turbo S and lease something generic for the interim.

mcdelaug

I never understood the FX. It's very small inside, it's like a car yet it doesn't drive as good as a car. So you can't fit stuff inside like a normal suv and w/ the 2WD or the FX45's 20 inch wheels you cant use it in the snow or off road either. It's got the disadvatages of both a car and a suv at the same time.

I think it really depends on where you live (no snow here) and how much stuff you carry around. It's really more of commuter vehicle in Texas.

mcdelaug

It looks kinda cool but why buy an suv if you can't fit more people or stuff comfortably and cant use it off road or the snow ? And it's the size of a car but drives like an suv. Don't get it but guess it sells okay because I see a lot of them around.

Gees! You're a brave man asking us for car advice!

If you're tempted by a LandRover, I'd possibly take a Range Rover over a Discovery LR03. Classier design inside and out, and old enough for bugs to have been ironed out and to get a good discount.

Other than the obvious choices perhaps also consider a VW Touareg V10 Diesel. Please don't laugh too hard! I know Diesel isn't a popular choice in NA, but loadsa Torque for getting up mountains, not too pretentious though twinned with the Cayenne, safe, and decent(ish, for the performance) mpg. Actually looking at the vw.com site, I don't think they do the diesel over there, do they?...

I agree that if you're gonna get an SUV, you might as well get a full-size one. The only reason to get a small one would be mpg. Height advantage counts for a lot in a car vs car collision, so I can see why you'd want one for your wife.

Did you also know that it can be better to get run over by an SUV than a car too? Something to do with spreading the collision force over a bluff front, head hitting the bonnet rather than the wiper mounts... And Hondas are pretty pedestrian friendly AND economical AND reliable. Still wouldn't want one though!

Audi Q7 just coming out? (SUV)

997 of some sort for yourself, of course.

Audi or BMW avant/touring of some sort for a 3rd car. I'd probably go for a 3 series touring. Good all rounder for drive, mpg, safety, performance, practicality, price.

I wish I had $200k to play with! No fair! Happy shopping.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    It looks kinda cool but why buy an suv if you can't fit more people or stuff comfortably and cant use it off road or the snow ? And it's the size of a car but drives like an suv. Don't get it but guess it sells okay because I see a lot of them around.

Because wives insist upon owning an SUV, even if there is zero logical purpose to it. End of story.

Can't imagine why you would buy a 997, and then buy some other totally useless vehicle like a 3-series for daily driving. If that's the case, there's no reason not to just drive the 997 daily. If you're going to have a 3rd vehicle to do the brunt of your driving, it should be like a utility knife. Versatile. The "beater" that you use when you don't want to foul up the good cars. Hauling the dogs to the vet, going to the beach, hauling yard trash to the burn pile. Otherwise, I don't understand the justification of having a 3rd vehicle. I have my 997 because I want it. I have my truck because I need it. I would buy a little mid-sized sedan, just..... to...... hate it?? And wonder why I'm plucking around in it while I've got a 997 at home?? My 997S gets pretty decent mileage as it is. To spend $35K for a different car that would only maybe save me $5K in fuel costs for the next several years sounds a bit backwards, financially. If you're going to spend the money on a 3rd car, it oughta serve real needs.

Just random thoughts....

Quote:
    wtsnet said:Audi or BMW avant/touring of some sort for a 3rd car. I'd probably go for a 3 series touring. Good all rounder for drive, mpg, safety, performance, practicality, price.

NOT a sedan. Estate car. Whatever you call it over there. Good for trash, dogs, not causing a fuss, taking places you wouldn't want to take your posh car to, but good enough to not feel bad about driving. To be honest, if I wanted a relaxed no-fuss commute every day without worrying about racking up loads of miles, or whether someone's gonna deface it in the carpark out of spite while I'm at my desk, or at the mall, I'd take the beemer. But each to their own. Personnally a driving a plasticy Ford pickup anywhere doesn't tickle me.

I find it ironic to call a 5,900 pound durable anvil of a vehicle that can tow cars, boats, go off road, and is built to last decades longer than any wagon could wish, "plasticy", considering BMW and Audi don't use any less plastic than anybody else. I sense a bit of boutique-premium-brand snobbery afoot. And why would they need TWO wagons? His wife's SUV will be just a glorified tall wagon. You can't bring a BBQ grille home from the store in a wagon, it won't fit.

A Bimmer wagon, to me, is like a buying a Louis Vuitton wheelbarrow. A bit ridiculous and vulgar, considering the purpose at hand.

I'm afraid we'll have to agree to disagree, no blood no foul!!

just get an SUV for the wife and a 997 /997S for you

No need for a 3rd car..if there's snow issues etc just get
    a c4/c4s

the extra money for the third car u can use to get a better version/options for each of the two cars

I think it's just European vs US tastes. like I said, each to their own. Over here, stores deliver stuff. Hired an Explorer while on holiday, and found the leather and interior plastics a little low-rent. Maybe they've improved, I don't know. No brand snobbery. I don't consider a 3-series BMW to be anything more than an above average family car. For most people's usage, they don't need a pickup. I'd honestly prefer the BMW. You like your 150. Thats fine. Horses for courses.

1. 997 Turbo for you
    2. new Mercedes ML 500 for the wife

Unfortunately first 997 Turbos show up in the US around Sept./Oct. 2006 but it should be worth the wait.
    I'm not quite sure why somebody who pays 150-200 grand for cars would care too much about fuel consumption but maybe this is some sort of psychological thing. Personally, I couldn't care less as long as I have the fun I expect from such a car.

Another alternative:
    1. 997 Carrera S Cabriolet with powerkit for you
    2. ML 63 AMG for your wife (and of course for you too ).

The Cayenne S is nice but the facelift should come soon.
    Fuel consumption isn't that good on the Turbo, this is why I left it out.
    In the US, buying a Cadillac Escalade may be a nice thing too, I don't know too much about the safety of this SUV though.

Whatever SUV you're buying, think about YOUR fun too. Because from time to time, you have to drive the SUV too, especially when kids are showing up sooner or later.

Don't buy a 997 GT3 or a Ferrari F430, when kids show up, you're gonna hate these cars and want to sell them.

Good luck!

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    A Bimmer wagon, to me, is like a buying a Louis Vuitton wheelbarrow. A bit ridiculous and vulgar, considering the purpose at hand.

Best simile of the day award

997S for you.
    Range Rover for her, and you get lucky a lot!

Quote:
    wtsnet said:
    I think it's just European vs US tastes. like I said, each to their own. Over here, stores deliver stuff. Hired an Explorer while on holiday, and found the leather and interior plastics a little low-rent. Maybe they've improved, I don't know. No brand snobbery. I don't consider a 3-series BMW to be anything more than an above average family car. For most people's usage, they don't need a pickup. I'd honestly prefer the BMW. You like your 150. Thats fine. Horses for courses.

Know many parts of US where pickups are less common....and where all these mundane household things can be delivered, etc.....

Can't think of any SUVs or pickups w/acceptable active and passive safety systems, offering comparable safety to a 997S/Merc E/S/CL/SL55....consider emergency handling capabilities, brakes, rollover risks, less developed stability ctrl&air bag systems, body shell/roof integrity, etc of any SUV....Cayenne comes closest to being a safe SUV, but it has that troubling throttle delay safety issue.....

Would advise 997S and '07 S-Class (S-Class is arguably world's safest and most comfortable "SUV"/people carrier/family sedan/limo)....

Hey! I've also got a new F150 and feel safer in it than any other thing I've driven. Granted it's only for the mass of the thing. The interior, while mostly plastic, is a vast improvement from earlier trucks. Descent audiophile stereo though the acoustics require better speaker placement to sound really good. Agree w/ 69, can't do without a pickup (own 3 houses and NO apartments). Big Blazing Yellow FX4 SCab (not cabriolet) w/ 5.5' bed. ha.. have S Cab truck and getting S Cab 997!

Quote:
    RC said:
    1. 997 Turbo for you
    2. new Mercedes ML 500 for the wife

Unfortunately first 997 Turbos show up in the US around Sept./Oct. 2006 but it should be worth the wait.
    I'm not quite sure why somebody who pays 150-200 grand for cars would care too much about fuel consumption but maybe this is some sort of psychological thing. Personally, I couldn't care less as long as I have the fun I expect from such a car.

Another alternative:
    1. 997 Carrera S Cabriolet with powerkit for you
    2. ML 63 AMG for your wife (and of course for you too ).

The Cayenne S is nice but the facelift should come soon.
    Fuel consumption isn't that good on the Turbo, this is why I left it out.
    In the US, buying a Cadillac Escalade may be a nice thing too, I don't know too much about the safety of this SUV though.

Whatever SUV you're buying, think about YOUR fun too. Because from time to time, you have to drive the SUV too, especially when kids are showing up sooner or later.

Don't buy a 997 GT3 or a Ferrari F430, when kids show up, you're gonna hate these cars and want to sell them.

Good luck!

Agree!

I think the new ML is very nice, probably the best looking SUV - I'd go for the ML 500 too! Porsche 997 and Mercedes S, SL or ML - the perfect combo!

How about a 997S for the first $100K, a Lexus GX470 for the next $50K and a $50K boat for the weekends.....

1. 997 Turbo S Cabriolet for you (and the wife and kids-she'll think it looks sexy, and when the future kids are old enough to sit in the back seats, they'll go gaga when the turbo spools up to 27 psi at 2,000 rpm with the engine just behind their ears with the cabriolet top down, and the car shrieks loud enough to awaken the neighbors ); okay it's not clear exactly when it will be available, but to drive a rented Kia until it's released will be worth the wait.
    2. There is no such thing as a safe SUV with good gas mileage, but to please your wife with an SUV, get her the Cayenne Turbo. If she's willing to consider a 4-door sedan for the "family" car, my family car is an Audi S4, the Audi Quattro's are great for winter traction-might come in handy in the "Great White North." I live 50 miles from Canada on the other side of Lake Ontario in New York State, and the AWD Audi is excellent in the snow-recall too, the 911 Turbo's are AWD (I have a 2005 996 Turbo S Cab, and on the list for its 997 replacement ), so that 997TSCab for you has potential advantages in the winter, as well.
    3. I agree with 69bossnine, if you really "need" a third vehicle, get a pickup, but the 997TSCab and Cayenne Turbo SUV or a good 4-door sedan should be sufficient.

Update us on your selections.

Sorry guys, but I can't imagine having only the Carrera to drive on a daily basis.

Good points: it's too special and should be appreciated fully by driving it only when you feel in the mood.

Bad points: parking it is enough to give you a chronic anxiety disorder.

The cockpit is small and fits like a glove. Not really easy to get into and out of.

The ride may be somewhat harsh for city roads where you live (pothole awareness must be at a very high and sustained level).

Not much room for your stuff (groceries, briefcase, luggage, the new desk lamp you just bought).

something to consider... .

PTM,
    Can I put in a word for Vancouver- Its a great city and if you plan on sticking around for a while i'm sure you'll get a great seat for the 2010 winter olympics.

If vancouver is your choice there are a couple things to keep in mind: its a relatively mild climate with its fair share of rain. our snow in the winter is generally minimal and mostly slush however all of north vancouver is on the side of a mountain which can be a traction problem if you don't have the right vehicle.

While I don't drive a 997 I'd have to agree that it would be an amazing car for you. not sure if you need the C4. It would be perfect for the drives to whistler and about.

Only thing i have to say about the SUV for your wife is don't go with an ivory escalade or H2 with 24" spinners on it- we have WAY too many of these already.
    If you are into the winter sports we have many great mountains in the area so find something that you can put your skis/snowboard in, still drive around town, and have fun with.

as for a "daily driver"/ other car I would assume that a 997 would suffice. I see many P-cars commuting (even a Merc - SLR!!!). If you don't feel comfortable commuting with a 997 personally I would recommend a VW Jetta TDI. I've heard great praises about the reliability, mileage, torqueyness of these cars. If your budget 150k-200k a Jetta would be cheap extra car that would also look nice.

997 & X5 2007

Quote:
    GA5656 said:
    Hey! I've also got a new F150 and feel safer in it than any other thing I've driven. Granted it's only for the mass of the thing. The interior, while mostly plastic, is a vast improvement from earlier trucks. Descent audiophile stereo though the acoustics require better speaker placement to sound really good. Agree w/ 69, can't do without a pickup (own 3 houses and NO apartments). Big Blazing Yellow FX4 SCab (not cabriolet) w/ 5.5' bed. ha.. have S Cab truck and getting S Cab 997!

Amazed that any sportscar/risk-reward-conscious guys would put wives and rugrats (that they cared about) in any SUV's/minivans/pickups...most engineers would prob agree that SUV-type platforms are fundamentally flawed from a safety perspective...high center of gravity/rollover risk, weak brakes/handling capabilities, uncertain roof strength, and who wants to put possible missles (sorry, vital storage crap) in the back of any SUV for launch in severe deceleration?....common sense, right? I guess if a near-term divorce is anticipated, an SUV for the wife (and future litigant) may have value, but otherwise?

Seriously, only drive P/F sportscars...and when I rarely drive a "normal" sedan/SUV, I tend to drive much slower (and w/much trepidation) as these vehicles (incl AMG/M cars, ex-SL55) feel much less safe than a P w/their sloppy steering/handling/brakes, etc, no matter how much heavier they may be....

And, if I wanted to possibly injure my back, I'd rather do it w/activities not remotely related to carting crap back to a house from Home Depot....life's too short to spend doing stuff that a maid/gardener/chef/other tradesman can do a lot better than most amateurs who would prob do better focusing on their day jobs....

Two cars:
    1. 997 (4) S cab for you, both fun car and daily driver - 100k
    2. Audi A6 quattro Avant or SUV/Q7 for your wife and family - 50k

Three cars:
    1. 997(4)S cab for your fun - 100k
    2. Audi A6 quattro as alternative daily driver - 50k
    3. Not sure on the SUV, sorry (never liked SUVs).. maybe the new Audi Q7? - 50k

Don't quote me on the prices; they're rough guestimates.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776814 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441560 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262698 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260842 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85113 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5519 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880555 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815709 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM