Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Launching?

U Boat... Londondude's original post was asking for advice for a street-race launch. IMHO your "safest way" was over-the-top safe, and slow. You may have a good street record going, but I know 1st-hand how different launches result in much different 60-foot times in a controlled and timed environment. Analyzing the 1st 60-feet by 100ths of seconds was my weekend hobby for a decade. There's nothing controlled about street racing. Suffice it to say, your perfect record would have been shattered badly, and early in the race, if I had been the pilot of that 400 h.p. Corvette. The only reason you beat him with a much slower car (which a 996 is, period) was his absolute ineptitude, because there's nothing quick about a 996 floored off idle in 1st gear. Heck, there's nothing quick about my 997S floored off idle!!! Any time you've got a car with weak torque (in the world of performance cars, the low-end torque of a 997S is meager), the worst thing you can do is force the thing to pull off of idle. Every road test of the 997S attributes it's ability to best the 400 h.p. Corvette to it's rear-weight bias, and its ability to shoot like a gun out of the hole with a hard high-rpm launch. That's how ALL of the Corvette-beating numbers have been accomplished. Otherwise, beating the Vette is a mathmatical impossibility. If you took a new C6 Corvette, and a new 997S, and raced them from a slow ROLL, in 1st-gear, right off idle speed, simple mathmatics alone tell you what would happen. The Corvette would gain an enormous lead in the 1st 60 feet, by virtue of it's vastly superior and lower-range torque powering almost identical weight. By the time the 997S gets past its weaker low-range, and starts to spin into its power-band, it can hold-check with the Corvette fairly well, but it could never make up the lost ground unless you had a little shot of N2O up your sleeve. Curb weight, plus h.p. and torque curves, plus gearing, tell that tale. We've all got David slaying Golliath stories to tell, but those stories are more about the men than the machines. A fast car in the hands of a hapless driver, is no different than when Anna Nicole Smith was married to Howard Marshall II!

Considering C&D and MT both accomplished 4,000+ rpm launches that resulted in some violent axle-tramp, but no clutch slippage, I think a fresh under-10,000 mile 997S clutch is up to the task if you're at a track, and really want to see the best it can do. It's just not something you'd want to do regularly, or just for a meaningless street race. For me, 3,000 rpm will have to do on the street, and at that conservative level, I likely don't have a chance against the beefier-torque Vette if drivers are equal. Luckily, the majority of Corvette drivers are peddling around with automatic slushboxes, and the ones who do have a 6-speed, aren't terribly adept with them. That's not ALL Corvette owners of course. Having been a former owner, I know the frustration of being an enthusiast among mostly NASCAR fans and retirees.

The 996 had a different clutch, and we have no idea how many miles were on your example-guy's 996 clutch, nor do we know how he treated the clutch up to that moment. Too many variables involved, to draw any reasonable conclusion.

Lastly, the guy in the Corvette you raced must have had two left feet, shifted like Miss Daisy, and shifted 2,000 rpm's early, LOL!!! Hey, I've beaten plenty of theoretically faster cars than mine on the street, as the hopeless and hapless driver can't seem to work a clutch, a shifter, and eyeball a tach at the same time.

Lastly-lastly, it should go without saying that this all SPECIFICALLY applies to straight-line drag racing, which is far from being the primary engineered purpose of a 911. As an ex-1/4-mile-track-junkie, I certainly did not buy my 997S to do straight ahead sprints. But if duty calls.... I won't leave anything on the shelf, I'm putting the whole pantry into the stew!!

BTW, are you really a U boat Commander?? As Butthead would say, "THAT would be COOL..."

Quote:
    Dubliner said:
    Quote:
    alin330 said:
    U Boat Commander said:
    "Remember that you don't even need to give the 997 (or the 996) any gas when letting out the clutch"

69bossnine Is this true?

It is for a GT. But not a 997S. Try it ! - You'll stall unless you give gas *immediately* after. Or, a better way to think of it is,as in a previous discussion here, what RPM do you engage the clutch at ? Newbies do 1200 or so, more experienced maybe 1000, and experienced at 800-ish. But the car will stall immediately after letting the clutch out unless you hit the gas then.

Untrue.
    As long as I am on a flat road I can let out the clutch on my 997 S cab without gas and it does not stall. I did try it again yesterday when I left my office a number of times to make sure.

It's just a matter of how quickly you release the clutch. Done ever-so-slowly and carefully, you can get a 1956 VW Beetle rolling with no throttle... If you just drop the clutch out, of course, you stall.

How does everyone shift from 1st to 2nd when launching hard? My 997S bogs down if shifted hard/fast as the rear end has too much grip and the tires won't give/spin any causing the RPMs to drop instead.

Quote:
    TerryR said:
    How does everyone shift from 1st to 2nd when launching hard? My 997S bogs down if shifted hard/fast as the rear end has too much grip and the tires won't give/spin any causing the RPMs to drop instead.

I'm confused. At what rpm are you shifting? If you shift at redline (7,200 rpm), the rpm's drop right into the sweet-spot of the torque curve, right around 5K if I remember right... which oughta leap like a tiger into second gear. How do you "bog" at 5,000 rpm?

So when you say drop the clutch (or equivelant) at 3000rpm boss, do you mean just literally snap it up? Don't feather it in at all? I'm not planning to do too much of this but it would be nice to know for when the situation arises.

br d

No, snap it. If you feather it at 3,000 rpm, you'll smell the result. It's kinda like sticking your finger in the fan when you were a kid.

Do I dare to try this?
    Remember the golden rule boss, if I burn out the clutch, it's your fault.

br d

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    Dubliner said:
    Quote:
    alin330 said:
    U Boat Commander said:
    "Remember that you don't even need to give the 997 (or the 996) any gas when letting out the clutch"

69bossnine Is this true?

It is for a GT. But not a 997S. Try it ! - You'll stall unless you give gas *immediately* after. Or, a better way to think of it is,as in a previous discussion here, what RPM do you engage the clutch at ? Newbies do 1200 or so, more experienced maybe 1000, and experienced at 800-ish. But the car will stall immediately after letting the clutch out unless you hit the gas then.

Untrue.
    As long as I am on a flat road I can let out the clutch on my 997 S cab without gas and it does not stall. I did try it again yesterday when I left my office a number of times to make sure.

I can only imagine that you're letting the clutch out slowly, then, and riding it. Otherwise we've different cars !

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    I'm confused. At what rpm are you shifting? If you shift at redline (7,200 rpm), the rpm's drop right into the sweet-spot of the torque curve, right around 5K if I remember right... which oughta leap like a tiger into second gear. How do you "bog" at 5,000 rpm?

I'm still breaking it in so I'm being a "little" conservative (1000miles so far). I'm shifting at 6000RPM.

Quote:
    Dubliner said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    Dubliner said:
    Quote:
    alin330 said:
    U Boat Commander said:

69bossnine Is this true?

Untrue.

I can only imagine that you're letting the clutch out slowly, then, and riding it. Otherwise we've different cars !

Yes, that's exactly what we're talking about. At 500-700 rpm's, riding the clutch for a bit doesn't harm anything, it's not enough engine speed to even warm the clutch up, let alone cause any real wear. Again, remember that your clutch is engineered for 70-100K miles of your regular driving. That's alot of engagements at all different rpms.

I just did it on my 996. You don't have to let the clutch out slowly. You can let it out fairly fast and the car will still roll. Sure, if you pop it, the car will stall. But you can let it out pretty fast and you'll roll. I even did it on a slight incline (maybe 15%) and had no problem.

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    No, snap it. If you feather it at 3,000 rpm, you'll smell the result. It's kinda like sticking your finger in the fan when you were a kid.

I just learned that one the hard way.

I was pretty good at launching my 996 Targa and was at the point where I thought I was just as good with my 997S. This evening, I was driving around with sport chrono in sport mode, which I'm trying to do more of now that she's broken in. I can't say that I drop the clutch, but I do let it out rather quickly from about 3,000 rpm. I went to do the same thing this evening, only the clutch didn't come out. My right foot kept giving more gas, and my left was off the clutch as I was expecting it to come up (as it always did), but I just went up to 5000 rpm and when I noticed that the clutch was sort of stuck half way out, I immediately depressed it and aborted the whole thing. I did smell some clutch when I got home, but it was very mild and seemed to be gone in a minute.

The throttle map in sport mode takes getting used to - it's like learning to drive a new car. I'm finding it a pain in the ass.

During normal driving, I usually let the clutch out without any throttle, and always have first gear engaged with < 1000 rpm. Unless I'm practicing launching, that's how I always get my car rolling, and never gun it until first gear is already engaged and the clutch is fully out.

Do you think I might have "smoked" my clutch, as has been reported in this and other threads? Is there any way to find out how much damage might have been done?

It's a hydraulic clutch. Step off the pedal, and let the hydraulics take up the slack. They will, beautifully. <g>

OTHO, don't do this at 4,000 RPM - because, by the time full pressure is applied to the clutch disc, the engine will be at peak power, and you will toast the clutch.

As 69BossNine says, I launch at idle and synch my throttle foot with a clean step off the pedal - it takes a bit of practice, but I can say that the trans in this car is probably the easiest to launch / shift / drive that I've ever seen in my life.

If you slip it, you'll smell the result. This clutch cooks quickly, as many of you have discovered.

First gear in this car is sooooo short, I can't see any reason to launch at 4 grand. It's a Porsche, for gosh-sakes - not a Viper. Even with a well timed launch at 2-3k, you'll get a PSM light every time...

-don

P.S. - and my car is a C4S...

Quote:
    dstrimbu said:
    It's a hydraulic clutch. Step off the pedal, and let the hydraulics take up the slack. They will, beautifully. <g>

As 69BossNine says, I launch at idle and synch my throttle foot with a clean step off the pedal - it takes a bit of practice, but I can say that the trans in this car is probably the easiest to launch / shift / drive that I've ever seen in my life.

I can't say that I agree with that. I found my 996 much easier to launch. There seems to be something vague about this clutch that I don't like. Plus, I seem to be thrown off by the different throttle maps in Normal and Sport mode (sport chrono), which really bothers me.

I think I'm going to just stick to Normal mode. I am seeing less and less use for Sport Chrono - actually beginning to think I should not have gotten it.

I drive on Sport mode 24-7, with no problem. I prefer the throttle map for normal driving over the mushier standard setup.

What I'm worried about is how MANY of these 3,000 rpm "practice" launches you've been laying down when the mood takes you. Your problem may not have been the result of only one poorly executed launch, but instead, the long-term result of practicing launching too much. A 3,000+ rpm launch is hard on a clutch, even a high-performance clutch, especially when it's engaging a high-powered engine at those revs... We're talking friction here. Think about how much different it is for your brakes when you stab them at 150 mph, as opposed to just 100 mph. It's exponential. Same thing for clutch engagement as you move from 2,000 rpm to 3K, from 3K to 4K, and on... Our 997S's are capable of amazing quickness from a dead stop, but save it for when you need it, because otherwise you'll begin breaking parts. Just because they CAN do it, doesn't mean they're well suited toward it from a durability standpoint.

Sometimes practicing is futile anyhow, because different roads/surfaces will dictate different launch RPM's for the best result. On the street, you've just got to go with what you already know, and "wing it" if a challenge presents itself.

On the track, you've got the opportunity to play with the surface with a couple test launches, prior to staging into the starting beams. So you do a couple practice drops, decide where you need to be, and then go. Then, if you're not satisfied, you run back around and take another pass at it. With my 997S, which for dead-stop drag-race launching is a relatively FRAGILE piece of machinery, I plan on taking it to the strip this fall to see what it'll do in cool weather, BUT.... I won't take more than 3 passes. I'm confident/experienced enough that I'm certain I can get a great run in 3 tries, and I will never do that to my car again.

Save hard launches for the rare occassions that you're at a drag strip, or you've got a serious contender next to you at a stoplight, and you need everything it's got for a win. Otherwise, you're just beating the hell out of your clutch, for no good reason, and it'll have an unusually brief life-span.

It's the high-RPM drops that really tear them up. American V8's can usually hang onto their stock clutches longer, because the low-end torque dictates a lower-rpm launch to avoid wheelspin. At 3,000 rpm and up, well, there's not many street clutches out there that will take alot of those before starting to slip. The fact that the 997 has so much traction on-tap due to the rear location of the engine, means that it will hook-up traction-wise at EXTREME RPM launches. The only problem is.... the tires won't break loose (that's good), but the clutch might (that's bad) or a piece of driveline will go "snap" (that's worse).

Quote:
    Silver Bullet said:

I can't say that I agree with that. I found my 996 much easier to launch. There seems to be something vague about this clutch that I don't like. Plus, I seem to be thrown off by the different throttle maps in Normal and Sport mode (sport chrono), which really bothers me.

I think I'm going to just stick to Normal mode. I am seeing less and less use for Sport Chrono - actually beginning to think I should not have gotten it.

Hi SB:

My 996 experience is limited to a short stints in a C4S and a GT3 Mk.II, so it's hard to judge. From my POV, the 997 is very easy to drive.... but I'd sure like to get my hands on that GT3 again...

I'm always in Sport mode. The car seems sluggish when the normal throttle mapping is engaged - if a 911 can be sluggish, that is.

-don

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    I drive on Sport mode 24-7, with no problem. I prefer the throttle map for normal driving over the mushier standard setup.

What I'm worried about is how MANY of these 3,000 rpm "practice" launches you've been laying down when the mood takes you. Your problem may not have been the result of only one poorly executed launch, but instead, the long-term result of practicing launching too much.

Naw - that's not it for sure. I haven't done many at all. I'm quite gentle with my car, and I exploit the handling in the twisties much more than the straightline acceleration. I'm afraid that what I'd call a launch, you'd probably think was a pretty normal start. I'm really not aggressive with launching, have only tried a few in the 997, and that's probably why I didn't do so well, especially considering the different throttle map in sport mode on the "smoker" I described above. Basically, I think I just gave too much gas and let the clutch up too slowly. I should have either really tried to be aggressive and popped the clutch, or been much more conservative with the gas, as I normally am, especially since I was in sport mode.

Still, I don't think that fast starts in the 997 are easy, nor as easy as they were in my 996. There are numerous threads expressing the difficulty that others have had launching the 997, and it's my impression at least, that these are more numerous than troublesome launching posts were in the 996 Forum a few years ago.

Maybe I just suck at it.

10-4, I understand what you're saying now. Your left foot and your right foot simply didn't get it together on that one start. One time won't hurt anything. I was worried that you executed a proper drop, and the clutch was unable to grab, hence the rpm increase and burning, indicating a getting-tired clutch. But what you've described is just a lapse of coordination, happens to the best of us!!

I have heard that the quickest launches are achieved by dropping the clutch from 2-3k rpm. I don't know if I would ever do that to my car just to be quicker. I had a 2006 corvette coupe get next to my C2Scab at a stop light yesterday and I beat from dead stop till third gear, then we both slowed down. I didn't use any of those stolen car techniques, I just pressed the gas and let go of the clutch simultaneously. I don't know if this guy didn't know how to drive but I got the results I wanted!!!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    778834 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442177 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263045 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261331 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85564 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5774 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881013 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    817154 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM