Crown

Board: AMG Mercedes Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: [2022] Mercedes-AMG SL

tso:
    wantone:

Congrats! V8 or i4?

I promise that if they be fault deliver an i4, we have one member less Smiley

No, you have one Mercedes sales guy in Germany less... Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), BMW Z4 M40i (2022), Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk (2019 EU)

To be fair, there is a 4 cylinder SL.......

It's called SL43. In the US market at least.

There is a SL43 with the 4 banger making 375hp, same engine as in the A45 but detuned slightly, a SL55 with a turbo V8 that makes 469hp and the SL63 with 577hp.

The 43 starts at $110k US, while the 63 sits at $187k. The 55 right in the middle at $143k.

--

RC:
    :
    wantone:

Congrats! V8 or i4?

I promise that if they be fault deliver an i4, we have one member less Smiley

No, you have one Mercedes sales guy in Germany less... Smiley Smiley

SmileySmileySmiley

Whoopsy:

There is a SL43 with the 4 banger making 375hp, same engine as in the A43, a SL55 with a turbo V8 that makes 469hp and the SL63 with 577hp.

The 43 starts at $110k US, while the 63 sits at $187k. The 55 right in the middle at $143k.

MB is really starting to confuse me with their model names. In my book the 43 is a 6 cylinder, the 63 is 8 cylinder, but it seems that the number no longer is linked to the engine. If the SL can have a 43 = 4 and in the C63 = 4 Smiley

Mercedes has switched to model name convention that Audi clumsily launched a few years ago based on output, not cylinder count. 

tso:
    Whoopsy:

There is a SL43 with the 4 banger making 375hp, same engine as in the A43, a SL55 with a turbo V8 that makes 469hp and the SL63 with 577hp.

MB is really starting to confuse me with their model names. In my book the 43 is a 6 cylinder, the 63 is 8 cylinder, but it seems that the number no longer is linked to the engine. If the SL can have a 43 = 4 and in the C63 = 4 Smiley

I have to think MB is using the 63 number to signify the top dog in any particular model. 43 would be the 'entry level' performance trim. In the case of the C class, C63 is the top dog, but with a 4 banger. 

Not unlike Porsche use turbo S as the top trim and turbo as the next level down. 

Since they no longer do a 65 model with the V12. 

--

Congrats Christian! kiss By reading your posts when you had the car, it really sounded like this is the car you actually wanted but that the price was an issue. I am glad you eventually managed to go for it.

Ziggy:

Congrats Christian! kiss By reading your posts when you had the car, it really sounded like this is the car you actually wanted but that the price was an issue. I am glad you eventually managed to go for it.

I always wanted a nice roadster as a daily driver but the choice was quite limited: My current Z4 M40i surprised me a lot, I fell in love with it, never expected it, just got it because I wanted a "cheap" daily driver convertible and didn't want to go for a BMW 4 series convertible.

So when I had to choose a new daily driver, the M3 CS came to my mind but I realized quite fast that I would miss the Z4 M40i a lot. So I wanted to replace the Z4 M40i with another roadster/convertible but didn't really know what to get.

The M4 Convertible is a very nice car but I kind of don't like how it looks. I love the M3 but the M4 is a different story.

Found a used 992 Carrera GTS Convertible for 170k and test-drove it, loved it but then I saw the SL63 at my Mercedes dealership and took it for a testdrive. I was so impressed with the car, not only how it looks but also how it drives and...sounds. The sound is amazing (and there is always the possibility to disable the flap control of the exhaust, making it sound even better). Found a few used ones with low mileage for around 140k EUR and wanted actually to buy one of those. Then, accidentally, I stumbled upon the special offer from Mercedes Online with that whopping 26% discount. When I wanted to buy it, I noticed that Mercedes not only had a 26% discount offer for a couple of new cars but also a very attractive lease offer. I then did the math and I decided to go for a 48 months lease instead. Depreciation is high with these cars and I was thinking that, maybe, in 4 years, I could switch to the new SL 63 E Performance with the 816 hp hybrid.

Long story short: Yes, I wanted the SL63 but never thought I would be able to get one. I didn't want to spend 180-200k (after discount) for a new one but with the current offer, I am very happy. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), BMW Z4 M40i (2022), Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk (2019 EU)

When was the last time you owned a Porsche? It's sad that Porsche can't produce a model at the appropriate price range for someone like yourself who at one time lived and breathed Porsche.surprise

--

The purpose of life is to enjoy the moment.

nberry:

When was the last time you owned a Porsche? It's sad that Porsche can't produce a model at the appropriate price range for someone like yourself who at one time lived and breathed Porsche.surprise

I wanted the GT3 Touring as a daily driver but it is no convertible and it is too expensive for me. There was at some point a rumor that Porsche is going to offer a GT3 Touring convertible but it never happened. Smiley

The 992 Carrera GTS convertible would have been a nice choice but I feel that the SL63 AMG offers more for less money (after discount).

I do not blame Porsche for this, they make some excellent GT cars but I wish Porsche would have a nice V8 coupe and covertible in their portfolio. Some nice V8 grand tourismo roadster would have been nice, they have all the right ingredients, just not the need to make one.

GT4 RS Spyder? I would have taken one, not as a daily driver of course but never got the chance to order one (only the GT4 RS).

I think Porsche lacks three models in their model portfolio:

A true grand tourer with a nice sounding V8, including a roadster/convertible, a GT3 roadster/convertible and a mid engined high performance sportscar (they could use the platform Lamborghini uses).

--

Did you ever consider a Boxster GTS? Older tech inside but still ticking many boxes. Normally aspirated engine and buttons appeal to me. Interestingly enough it also seems as if normally aspirated cars tend to have lower decpreciation than turbo, electric or hybrid. Lower supply than the newer tech - amazing how the Huracan resale values have picked up in our region.

Caymanisking:

Did you ever consider a Boxster GTS? Older tech inside but still ticking many boxes. Normally aspirated engine and buttons appeal to me. Interestingly enough it also seems as if normally aspirated cars tend to have lower decpreciation than turbo, electric or hybrid. Lower supply than the newer tech - amazing how the Huracan resale values have picked up in our region.

As a matter of fact…yes. Got a GT4 RS allocation back in October or so for an April(!) delivery but realized that this car would be too extreme as a daily driver and I would miss the convertible. Then I thought about a Boxster GTS and realized that it is too small and has no AWD as well. Dealer asked 115k EUR for a new one at that time. Insane.

Then I thought about the 992 Carrera GTS convertible but even used way too expensive.

I had always eyed the SL63, always liked how it looks and drives but it was just way too expensive

My SL is worth 216k EUR and Mercedes asks 161k for it. NEW. Insane.

Then they offered a lease which was even more insane (for this car).

At some point it was a no brainer for me. 🤗

--

I don’t understand how they need to offer such a big incentive to buy this, that is a problem at some point for MB

996FourEss:

I don’t understand how they need to offer such a big incentive to buy this, that is a problem at some point for MB

According to the information I received from an AMG guy, all cars available at official Mercedes dealerships (so called "factory dealerships") need to be sold within 12 months (actually 12 months minus a day), otherwise they are not considered to be new cars anymore according to German laws.

All those 16(?), my AMG guy told me there were 20 cars, my sales guy said 16, SL63 sold with 26% discount and that amazing lease offer were falling under that category. Mostly unsold cars, either ordered by the dealerships or customer cars which weren't picked up for whatever reasons.
    Almost all of these cars had a "flaw", they either had the performance seats (no massage and cooling function) or weird colors/color combos, options. Some cars were without lift.

The weirdest car I encountered (I try to find the pic) had performance seats with that Manufaktur diamond stitching. Pretty weird but looking quite interesting. Car was fully loaded, incl. ceramic brakes but had those ugly "aerodynamic" rims, which are basically considered to be standard wheels. So weird.

Here is a screenshot of the cheapest offer during that event.

117k EUR excl. tax (139k EUR incl. 19% VAT for a car worth slightly over 200k EUR). Only problem with this car: No Burmester sound system, not even the smaller one. Crap.

Is Mercedes going to offer more offers like the one I encountered? Very unlikely. The reason is simple: They switched to the "agency sales model" in July 2023 and dealers were aware of it. Not many cars are left at dealerships because dealerships didn't get any more stock. Dealerships have basically become brokers for Mercedes Online sales.

WhatsApp Bild 2024-02-28 um 12.11.35_e4b47daf.jpg

--

Btw: You can order the new SL63 E Performance directly from Mercedes Online in Germany with a 9% discount.

New AMG GT cars are available for immediate delivery from the Mercedes Online store in Germany with a discount of 3%.

Biggest discount so far I saw were 30% for the new Mercedes C43 AMG. It didn't last long though.

--

Fun comparison: SL63 vs. Spyder RS

Yes, the SL63 is a monster in the wet, unbelievable, even the weight doesn't seem to matter.

Mercedes-AMG SL63 vs Porsche Spyder RS: Grudge Match | Llandow Laps - Episode 4: Convertibles

Chris Harris called the SL63 a "mighty impressive thing in the wet, wow". 

--

The AMG GT coupé is quite striking and I’m impatiently waiting to see more reviews. It could be a great daily driver. 

CGX car nut:

The AMG GT coupé is quite striking and I’m impatiently waiting to see more reviews. It could be a great daily driver. 

AMG GT 63 weight is same as SL63 but they modified the gearbox shifting times and applied some chassis mods. Car should be a tiny bit faster around the track than SL63. Also, the fenders are wider and the rear lights are nicer.

As a daily driver, I'd prefer the new SL63 E Performance though. 816 hp and 1400 Nm of torque...insane.
    Same engine will be available for the AMG GT as well.

--

RC:
    CGX car nut:

AMG GT 63 weight is same as SL63 but they modified the gearbox shifting times and applied some chassis mods. Car should be a tiny bit faster around the track than SL63. Also, the fenders are wider and the rear lights are nicer.

As a daily driver, I'd prefer the new SL63 E Performance though. 816 hp and 1400 Nm of torque...insane.

The 63 E Performance is an assault on the sensibilities of way too much weight for the type of car. On longer trips, one is dragging along the weight of a nearly depleted battery pack with a marginal increase in performance, it at all.  From this perspective, and if wanting a performance hybrid, the Corvette e-ray is a better option. 

Don't know how you guys can put up with the giant iPad in the middle of the car ? 

The outside looks good and so does the sound. 

CGX car nut:

The 63 E Performance is an assault on the sensibilities of way too much weight for the type of car. On longer trips, one is dragging along the weight of a nearly depleted battery pack with a marginal increase in performance, it at all.  From this perspective, and if wanting a performance hybrid, the Corvette e-ray is a better option. 

Marginal increase in performance? The SL63 E Performance is rumored to do 100 to 200 kph in slightly over 5 seconds (SL63 without "E" in 7.74 seconds). This is a significant increase in performance. The Corvette e-ray isn't even close in performance, the SL63 E Performance is a serious 992 Turbo S competitor. 

--

Gnil:

Don't know how you guys can put up with the giant iPad in the middle of the car ? 

Not a big fan but the display quality is amazing and the tilting screen allows using it in very bright sunshine as well.
    It looks better when you're sitting inside the car and you forget about it fast once you realize how well it works. 

The outside looks good and so does the sound. 

The sound is really amazing for an OPF car, never expected it. And...you can actually modify the flap, so it stays open (if necessary.).

--

CGX car nut:
    RC:
    CGX car nut:

The E Performance only has a 6.1kWh battery, much smaller than what I got in the Panamera turbo S so the weight isn't that bad. On long road trips, my Panamera can stretch the range all the way to almost 900km. The battery doesn't get completely depleted, ECU keep re-charging it whenever the situation allows and will switch between engine and e-motor depending on situation. So when called for power, the e-motor is helping. I have to imagine Mercedes has the same logic in the E Performance also. heck, my Jeep Wrangler hybrid does the same thing. It's the best attribute of hybrids, unlike pure electric or pure petrol power. 

The e-ray is a dumb idea on the other hand, it's not a plug-in hybrid so it doesn't get any government subsidies at all. The battery is only charged by the engine and not an external source. 

--

RC:
    CGX car nut:

Marginal increase in performance? The SL63 E Performance is rumored to do 100 to 200 kph in slightly over 5 seconds (SL63 without "E" in 7.74 seconds). This is a significant increase in performance. The Corvette e-ray isn't even close in performance, the SL63 E Performance is a serious 992 Turbo S competitor. 

Where are you, even in Germany, on most days able to go from 100 to 200.  Most of these numbers are becoming a chest thumping exercise down at the local pub.  The lesser, if that is possible, 63 GT retains the best feature of the car, that V8, without the added complexity of a hybrid system and without a weight penalty.  No matter how a suspension is set up weight negatively impacts performance. 

Whoopsy:
    CGX car nut:
    RC:
    CGX car nut:

The E Performance only has a 6.1kWh battery, much smaller than what I got in the Panamera turbo S so the weight isn't that bad. On long road trips, my Panamera can stretch the range all the way to almost 900km. The battery doesn't get completely depleted, ECU keep re-charging it whenever the situation allows and will switch between engine and e-motor depending on situation. So when called for power, the e-motor is helping. I have to imagine Mercedes has the same logic in the E Performance also. heck, my Jeep Wrangler hybrid does the same thing. It's the best attribute of hybrids, unlike pure electric or pure petrol power. 

The e-ray is a dumb idea on the other hand, it's not a plug-in hybrid so it doesn't get any government subsidies at all. The battery is only charged by the engine and not an external source. 

It is not a dumb idea because it adds all-wheel drive to the platform almost seamlessly with a marginal weight band complexity gain.  The battery pack, not unlike the new Lamborghini Revuelto, is in the space confined center console where balance isn’t as impaired as in other locations. The electric motors add to initial torque which is lacking in the Z06.  The two cars have quite different driving dynamics with the Z06 definitely being more track focused while the e-ray brings everyday usability.  Massive weight gains, as posted above, being more negatives than positives to the driving experience.  

CGX car nut:
    RC:
    CGX car nut:

Where are you, even in Germany, on most days able to go from 100 to 200.  Most of these numbers are becoming a chest thumping exercise down at the local pub.  The lesser, if that is possible, 63 GT retains the best feature of the car, that V8, without the added complexity of a hybrid system and without a weight penalty.  No matter how a suspension is set up weight negatively impacts performance. 

Everywhere? Smiley Smiley I do 250+ kph basically on a daily basis. We have a lot of traffic but Bavaria is quite OK compared to other regions.

0-100 kph in claimed 2.9 seconds (real time more like 2.7) and the car is also very fast on the track. Funny: In Hockenheim, the SL63 (non-E) beat the new M3 CS by a very narrow margin. Smiley 

I haven't driven the E Performance yet but according to what I heard, the weight difference vs. the SL63 is barely noticeable. 225 kg I think...sounds a lot, is a lot but if you can barely feel it (magic of modern chassis systems)...

--

I understand the SL63 as a Turbo S competitor, but the track comparison to the Spyder RS makes no sense to me. They are polar opposites on most variables: mass, AWD v RWD, turbo v NA, mechanical dash v tablet, etc

The one thing this does make me reconsider is giving up the S convertible. Not the same performance but the luxury aspect is better…

mcdelaug:

I understand the SL63 as a Turbo S competitor, but the track comparison to the Spyder RS makes no sense to me. They are polar opposites on most variables: mass, AWD v RWD, turbo v NA, mechanical dash v tablet, etc

The one thing this does make me reconsider is giving up the S convertible. Not the same performance but the luxury aspect is better…

I'm not sure the Turbo S is a competitor for the SL63, the Turbo S is in a slightly different (upper) league, performance-wise. However, the SL63 is a very nice grand tourer which is quite fast for it's weight (chassis magic done by lots of electronics). It can be quite the beast but if you want to track it, you need the ceramic brake, the standard brake system already gets issues on the Autobahn. I didn't opt for the ceramic brakes because I had no choice (discount-wise).

From a point of pure driving with an open top enjoyment, I think the SL is almost unbeatable. That V8 engine sound combined with that long bonnet and the whole feeling of the car, I think it is an excellent car. And fast as well.

--

I would rather go for an older GT C roadster, I think they look way better than the new SL.

--

997.2 4S / BMW 745e / Donkervoort GT 

CGX car nut:
    Whoopsy:
    CGX car nut:
    RC:
    CGX car nut:

It is not a dumb idea because it adds all-wheel drive to the platform almost seamlessly with a marginal weight band complexity gain.  The battery pack, not unlike the new Lamborghini Revuelto, is in the space confined center console where balance isn’t as impaired as in other locations. The electric motors add to initial torque which is lacking in the Z06.  The two cars have quite different driving dynamics with the Z06 definitely being more track focused while the e-ray brings everyday usability.  Massive weight gains, as posted above, being more negatives than positives to the driving experience.  

This morning I went to Chevy's website and build one, a 2LZ e-Ray convertible, I went like and still ended up beyond $170k CAD. Smiley And that's not even the top of the line 3LZ.

$170k CAD for a Chevy! That's just about as dumb as people paying $240k CAD for the new NSX. Totally way over priced. 

My SL63 right now literally cost me the exact same amount but it's a Mercedes-AMG. 

It really doesn't cost that much more in dollars and weight for GM to put full plugin hybrid on the e-Ray, which would have made it that much more useful, the mild hybrid that's current in it is basically Prius technology. All the performance only comes from the gas tank, with no external help. They might as well take out all those electrics and pump more fuel into the engine instead. 

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776715 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441517 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262676 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260817 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85086 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5497 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880525 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815657 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM