Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017 model) - Short Review

Rossi:
    Carlos from Spain:
    Boxster Coupe GTS:

Audi R8 V10 Plus video review by Chris Harris for Top Gear...

Video link: http://www.topgear.com/videos/chris-harris-drives/chris-harris-drives-sideways-audi-r8-v10-plus

wink 

The star of the show is that engine, there is no substitute for natural aspiration... 

He seems to like it very much, so what were his problems with the Huracan? Smiley

Maybe the initial heavy understeer (Lamborghini corrected that later on...) and the first dynamic steering Lamborghini used for the Huracan (the R8 uses now the second generation, which the Huracan received with the current model year)?

Anyway: The R8 and Huracan are really mixed bags for some reviewers and I always wonder why? Smiley Some love these cars, others don't like them that much and even review numbers (test figures) don't seem to add up sometimes.

Maybe quality control doesn't work good enough or the Audi/Lamborghini press department does a lousy job to "connect" to car reviewers?! Smiley 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

Good Review as usual - a bit surprised he can continue his bashing on Lambo given his exposure now on TG - but then again this is why I like him kiss

Drift vid.  with Tim Schrick. Interesting and detailed examination how to handle the car in the wet. Apparently Tim like the Audi overall but isn't satisfied with the 4wheel drive. Sorry, just in German.

http://www.n-tv.de/mediathek/videos/auto/Audi-R8-V10-plus-will-nach-vorne-article19009726.html

--

Kind regards, Conny 

Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016) BMW 740xDrive (2016)

Conny997:

Drift vid.  with Tim Schrick. Interesting and detailed examination how to handle the car in the wet. Apparently Tim like the Audi overall but isn't satisfied with the 4wheel drive. Sorry, just in German.

http://www.n-tv.de/mediathek/videos/auto/Audi-R8-V10-plus-will-nach-vorne-article19009726.html

I always appreciate his reviews. I'll never forget his review of the Carrera GT. Smiley

--

1992 Mercedes-Benz W124 500E / 2003 BMW M3 CSL (sold) / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS / 2013 MINI John Cooper Works GP / 2014 BMW Alpina D3 biturbo Touring

Conny997:

Dammit...I'm in the office now and cannot listen to it with sound. Smiley

Could you tell me in short what he didn't like about the AWD? Thanks.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

This R8 thread still going. Its surprising indecision..

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

991 GT3 pick up in October 2014.

throt:

Its not, throt.

Smiley,,, just been out for a quick spin in my GT3 and see a flat black R8 V!0 Plus, with glossy black side blades and wheels to match exterior colour,,, Smiley.. Have to admit it looked fat and very nice ...

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

RC:
    Conny997:

Dammit...I'm in the office now and cannot listen to it with sound. Smiley

Could you tell me in short what he didn't like about the AWD? Thanks.

Would be the best you watch watch the video as soon as you have time. Its something difficult to explain. The AWD prevents a clean drift, at least in the wet. As soon as there is gas, the AWD stabilizes the car so that the drift is interrupted. This results in a somewhat "angular" drive.

--

Kind regards, Conny 

I assume he used Performance mode WET and kept the ESP turned on? 

Using Performance mode DRY and turning ESP off allows quite a spectacular drifting experience but of course I wasn't able to achieve the speeds Tim Schrick achieved (I assume) on a track. A large parking lot is not a track. yes

There is also a Performance mode WET but this one actually reduces oversteer and "corrects" it when pushing too hard.

In Dynamic mode, the AWD has a pretty neutral setup, basically impossible to drift (oversteer is still possible though but limited to a certain angle).

From my experience, turning ESP off (no matter in what driving mode but especially in Performance mode DRY) can be very dangerous. It changes the character of the car and makes it difficult to control if you push too hard. Tried it once, turned it immediately back on. Quite a difference to turning off ESP on my previous 991.1 Turbo S for example.

Performance mode DRY and ESP off basically change the R8 from AWD to a RWD setup. Add the mid engined "setup" to the mix and you can imagine what happens.

I'll watch the video with sound this evening, thanks again. kiss

--

Actually it shouldn't be necessary to turn ESP off completely. Performance mode in "dry" reduces the influence of ESP in an appropriate way for controlled oversteering. Would be interesting to know how the R8 feels with performance mode "snow", of course when there is snow .

--

Kind regards, Conny 

Conny997:

Actually it shouldn't be necessary to turn ESP off completely. Performance mode in "dry" reduces the influence of ESP in an appropriate way for controlled oversteering. Would be interesting to know how the R8 feels with performance mode "snow", of course when there is snow .

This is actually something I never understood: What the heck is Performance mode SNOW for? Smiley

I will try it in snow once I decided if I get winter tires or not. They are asking 7k EUR for a set, no thanks but my sales guy offered me now to include the set into the lease with a 50% residual value (on paper, it doesn't really concern me since I have a mileage lease), which would be pretty convenient. Meaning: 3.5k EUR divided by 45 months (lease is already running since August). Assuming that I can drop the price to 6k (maybe, still trying), it would be 66 EUR more per month, not a big deal. Let's see how this ends... Smiley

--

..hope with a lot snow this season..indecision

--

Kind regards, Conny 

Watched both videos (Chris Harris and Tim Schrick).

I'm not so sure Chris Harris really liked the R8 but if he did, his review certainly lacked some emotions.

He also complained a lot about the 45 different settings (engine, throttle, gearbox, ESP, AWD, etc.) but to be frank, he is wrong. You need two preset settings, the Dynamic Mode for daily driving and the Performance Mode DRY for track racing. You could add the Comfort mode for comfortable commuting but for me, only the previous two matter. No need to play around with the other settings and the gearbox actually has two settings only...D or S (and S is the obvious choice for manual shifting).

I was pretty sure that he won't like the Dynamic Steering but I think he would have warmed up to it after driving the car for a longer period of time. It takes time to get used to it because in the beginning, it feels like a very light power assisted steering but it is much more in reality. 

Chris Harris is right with one thing though, the Virtual Cockpit would need an easier and more intuitive user interface but I got used to it...even if it took pretty long.

Tim Schrick on the other hand loved the Dynamic Steering and it is really really a very good steering, razor sharp (maybe a tad too sharp...my wife drove my R8 once and over-corrected all the time, she hated it) and very direct as well (don't let the lightness fool you).

What Tim Schrick actually complained about is that the R8 setup is too safe.  I actually do not know why he did that because he obviously liked the car a lot and development engineers certainly want to build safe cars but it is interesting to notice how different the views of Chris Harris and Tim Schrick are. Probably the reason why the R8 is so controversial with reviewers: Some love it, others not so much.

Maybe Audi needs to give everyone what they want, a Performance DRIFT mode wouldn't hurt (easily implementable), improved tires (the upcoming Pirelli PZero R02 would be one, also maybe the option to get the optional Lamborghini Trofeo R instead of the Cup 2) and a third Magnetic Ride setup, if technically possible, which permits maximum track performance. I assume that with the R8 facelift, Audi will correct a few things and add AWS, at least as an option. 

--

Very good and helpful summary kiss

When do you expect the facelift for the R8? I actually thought that no facelift would be expected before the model series was completely discontinued.

--

Kind regards, Conny 

RC:
    I will try it in snow once I decided if I get winter tires or not. They are asking 7k EUR for a set, no thanks but my sales guy offered me now to include the set into the lease with a 50% residual value (on paper, it doesn't really concern me since I have a mileage lease), which would be pretty convenient. Meaning: 3.5k EUR divided by 45 months (lease is already running since August). Assuming that I can drop the price to 6k (maybe, still trying), it would be 66 EUR more per month, not a big deal. Let's see how this ends... Smiley

Have seen today that 2 different winter tires are available for the R8. The gray wheels are priced at 7,900 €, the shining ones at 6,500 €.

IMG_1255.JPG
    IMG_1254.JPG See pics below..

--

Kind regards, Conny 

Conny997:

Very good and helpful summary kiss

When do you expect the facelift for the R8? I actually thought that no facelift would be expected before the model series was completely discontinued.

I don't have a clue about a possible facelift. All I know is that the Huracan Performante is coming and it is very likely that Audi will get a R8 GT sooner or later. Unless of course Audi decides that the V6 Biturbo is more important (which is possible because many markets are waiting for a cheaper R8 with a smaller displacement engine).

Thanks for the hint with the winter wheels, didn't know there are two different rim styles available. The first one surely looks nicer but the price is hefty.

--

Saw today a new R8  in the color Matt Gray. This is an Audi Sport special color with an extra charge of 8,000 €. How do you like the look? I would be interested to hear your comments.Smiley

IMG_1251.JPG
    IMG_1252.JPG
    IMG_1249.JPG
    IMG_1250.JPG

--

Kind regards, Conny 

Never been a fan at all of mate colors, but this one in grey... I'm kind of surprised at myself that it looks quite good, at least in pictures kiss

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

I used to have a matt grey motorbike. Nightmare to look after. Also I think that look has had its time (about 4 years ago)

--

2015 911 GT3, 1964 Type 1

throt:
    throt:

Its not, throt.

Smiley,,, just been out for a quick spin in my GT3 and see a flat black R8 V!0 Plus, with glossy black side blades and wheels to match exterior colour,,, Smiley.. Have to admit it looked fat and very nice ...

See my above post , conny. The one I see may have been the grey, same as the one in your pic and not black as I stated above. Anyway, I love it, very manly,,, which counts blue out, he needs to stick to those gay glossy white thingsSmiley...

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

I'm with Carlos in that one, never liked matt colours, but this one does look good in deed.

Polishing the car will be a challenge. smiley

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Conny997:

Saw today a new R8  in the color Matt Gray. This is an Audi Sport special color with an extra charge of 8,000 €. How do you like the look? I would be interested to hear your comments.Smiley

IMG_1251.JPG
    IMG_1252.JPG
    IMG_1249.JPG
    IMG_1250.JPG

I love it...but you probably know I would have said that. Smiley Smiley

The itch isn't going away, isn't it?! Smiley

--

Love it!!! kiss

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | Powerkit White - The fastest car on Rennteam
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

Looks like an R8. I'd never get matte paint. Much smarter to just wrap the car satin.

@ Carlos
    Yes, it looks even much better live.

@Dave
    I'm not sure if the time of matt colors is really over. Many manufacturers have even significantly expanded their offerings

@Throt
    thanks for your opinion

@ Rossi
    polishing you rather shouldn't do smiley

@Bluelines
    thanks for your comment

@ Christian
    not exactly.  I know you like shades of gray (indecision)  but matt colors are something special. And yes, the itching will never stop, not now and not in the future I think

@Noone 1
    You're right its an R8.indecision  However, I don't like any wrapped cars. It has for me something "artificial" even like a fake yes

--

Kind regards, Conny 

Just a fun fact (if someone is curious):

The 19'' OEM wheel (rim + tire) weights each 22.2 kg in the front and 25.7 kg in the rear.

--

RC:

The 19'' OEM wheel (rim + tire) weights each 22.2 kg in the front and 25.7 kg in the rear.

Is 19" standard or is it for the winter tyres? And how much do 20" weigh?

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Rossi:
    RC:

Is 19" standard or is it for the winter tyres? And how much do 20" weigh?

Standard wheel and also used for winter tires. Sorry, don't have the weight for the 20'' but I assume they are heavier.

Conny already posted a photo of the 19'' in his winter wheels post (the first photo).

--

RC:

Standard wheel and also used for winter tires. Sorry, don't have the weight for the 20'' but I assume they are heavier.

Conny already posted a photo of the 19'' in his winter wheels post (the first photo).

Be careful: the rear rims in winter specification have 10,5 J, the standard rims are with 11,0 J.
    Front rims are not different.

--

Kind regards, Conny 

You jelly, RC?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    774153 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    439938 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261871 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260155 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    84743 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5442 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

879080 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    813798 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM