Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: New 997TT spy shots

Quote:
    turbolite said:
    if that's right RC, I think it's really a pity. They missed the chance to bring any Carrera GT elements to it, unlike Ferrari did with the 430 re Enzo. Truly boring!!

Why should they? The 911 Turbo needs no "big brother", the Turbo is...the Turbo. The Carrera GT thing has been slightly done on the Boxster.
    Ferrari used the Enzo look like a sales magnet and they succeeded. Clever marketing trick and I have to admit the F430 is a beautiful car. But the upcoming 997 Turbo S will "destroy" the F430, even the upcoming Challenge version, on the street and on the track, so I don't really care if the 911 Turbo looks like the CGT or not.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    turbolite said:
    if that's right RC, I think it's really a pity. They missed the chance to bring any Carrera GT elements to it, unlike Ferrari did with the 430 re Enzo. Truly boring!!

Why should they? The 911 Turbo needs no "big brother", the Turbo is...the Turbo. The Carrera GT thing has been slightly done on the Boxster.
    Ferrari used the Enzo look like a sales magnet and they succeeded. Clever marketing trick and I have to admit the F430 is a beautiful car. But the upcoming 997 Turbo S will "destroy" the F430, even the upcoming Challenge version, on the street and on the track, so I don't really care if the 911 Turbo looks like the CGT or not.

well I somehow doubt the new turbo will destroy thee 430, it might be a tad quicker, but that will be it.
    and secondly, i agree with you that the turbo doesnt have to look like the CGT, cause it's a different car. but I would have loved if it would have incorporated some more progressive elements than just being a bloated 997. every tuner could do that. If that's the final look, I dont see the dramatic change there has been for instance from the 964 t to the 993 tt or from that to the 996tt. so yes, performance is a conditio sine qua no argument for buying this car, but so are the looks IMO. and my money wouldnt go to a car with these kind of looks. just personal preference I guess...

Hmm...

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    turbolite said:

RC relax, Porsche will sell a ton of these. As long as they can say "Porsche Turbo" many will buy it even if it looks like an oversized Cayman. The "me to look" is a trademark of Porsche.

would be nice to have the CGT headlights on the 977TT ..

Quote:
    RoadRacer said:
    Looks like they hired an ex-Pontiac designer... too many louvers/scallops or whatever-you-want-to-call-them. Not anywhere near as pretty as the 996TT, so I hope it's just a butcher's job with PS!!

I agree!

IF this really is it- I'd have to say it's fugly.

Why is this tail different than the rear shot ... the one in the rear shot I think is the nicer of the two , seems less busy , hope that is the final one .

The wheels are the best 997 wheels so far .. wonder how hard they will be to get on a non turbo 997 .

Love that color what is is?

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:

Where are the headlight washers ?

Maybe they are standard only on the Turbo S.

Quote:
    mish said:
    Surprised at all the negative feedback to be honest. So what is not so good about it? Is it just the front Cayman styled bumper?

More than anything the problem with the car is that it looks too "disjointed". It looks very after-market which isn't a good thing since most Porsche-philes like their cars sleek & elegant.

If this is close to the final version then I'm going to have to skip this 996 1/2 experiment and pick up something else in the meantime.

Quote:
    beltar said:
    Sorry, I don't like it either.
    It looks like a potato-cutter to make frenchfries...

Maybe that's part of Porsche's new PPPM (Porsche pigeon puree management) option-sorry, it's getting late. . . .

So will the Turbo S have two pair of exhaust tips protrtuding from the bumper?

mcdelaug

Quote:
    RC said:
    I don't know, I think the car on the pictures has been Photoshop "enhanced", I think there was camouflage which has been removed "digitally". BUT...this thing is pretty close to the real thing, I have to admit.

I'll have to wait and see it in person I guess. Truthfully, I didn't much like the 997 from pictures, but it's really grown on me now that I've seen/driven it, and I cannot wait for my Club Coupe

As for this pic, I don't like it--so hopefully it's not too close to the actual car If it's "close", as in hand grenades where close covers a lot of territory, it might be good

Quote:
    OCEAN said:
    Why is this tail different than the rear shot ... the one in the rear shot I think is the nicer of the two , seems less busy , hope that is the final one .

The wheels are the best 997 wheels so far .. wonder how hard they will be to get on a non turbo 997 .

Love that color what is is?

Dudes,

All kidding aside, we are demeaning the car based on a P-shopped mule pic that we all saw before with the same pseudo-Boxster horizontal slats in the side intakes-and slightly more blue in color. Note also the difference in tails OCEAN pointed out between pics one and two-the first one is a biplane tail ala the Wright Brothers and suddenly "disappears" as it crosses the roof pillar at the left rear but doesn't reappear in view through the rear window.

As RC said the last time (? last month) we ridiculed the "spy pic," think of a 997 nose with 996TT sides and rear-with hopefully an extra 80HP than the 996TT/TS-and you've got your 997TT.

OMG! That front end is saying, "Hello. I am the dodge neons teenage brother who is currently going through puberty! Wanna play?

Quote:
    OCEAN said:

Quote:

I think there is an active spoiler componenet here. In the first picture the car is moving and it appears there is a portion of the rear wing that is elevated above the rest, kind of like the little spoiler on the back of the Cayman. In the second pic the car is not moving and the spoiler has retracted. At least that's my explanation.

As for the side intakes, there is clearly some camo over them, as you can see a horizontal line in the body a few inches below the intake.

I cannot be certain if the car has been photoshopped or not, but I find it odd that there is no headlight washer present (I'd imagine BiXe is standard on this car) and the lack of image clarity around the foglights makes me think SOMETHING has been done to this image...

mcdelaug

Clearly a photoshop job. Check out the side air intakes blown up in this pics. The vents are all jagged and there are lots of jpeg artifacts. Thank God, because those vents look aweful.

I am confident the 'real' car will look much better and that once we see it on the streets it wiil even look better than the first official pictures..... It seems that people generaly react badly and then get used to it and then love it! ( look at what is happening with the Cayman)

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    turbolite said:

...so I don't really care if the 911 Turbo looks like the CGT or not.

So why does it obviously integrate elements of the Cayman?

Quote:
    OCEAN said:

Its the same wing, its just that the wing is bi-plane and when at speed, the top part raises and separates into two. In the rear shot, its in its lowered position so it looks like one plane.

Sorry, but the Turbo looks really boring
    I like the clean lines of the normal 997 a lot better. The Cayman also looks a lot more cleaner than the Turbo.
    Can't believe my eyes..

well if this is it , or even close to it ,i am trully ,deeply,fully disapointed... it is ugly , there is no other words...
    i cant understand why they did not put the 997gt3 front bumper ,or even the aerokit front bumper...this one is yuk!
    the side air vents are also yuk ,but i doubt these will go to production...
    as for the rear ,if this is real ,they really lack imagination.. that cant be true.. after they made a great job with all the new range(987 ,997 ,cayman) they missed the most important car of their range..the turbo is supposed to be the reference... its a real pitty

If this is close, its a real dissapointment. 996TT owners are laughing all the way. The front end is too busy and fiddly and the rear exhausts in the bumper look really crap. Its a proper 12year old car design.

Too fussy, doesn't flow and doesn't look like the gracefull mean guided missile that the 911 Turbo should be.

Cheers,

JZ

Looking at it again this morning...it looks quite out of proportion.

Hmmm...we all know the feeling, after a few drinks - even the most average of ladies can look sensational...

In a word: Tragedy.

I can hope this isn't the real thing. But if it is I am shocked and diappointed. Agree with all of the above critiques. On thing to add, the wheels don't even fill out the wheel wells. Doesn't look substantial - more like a bad body kit.

NEVER thought I'd say it, but if this is the real deal: Ferrari? As I have stated before, if I don't care about looks and feel - why not buy a Z06 and save some cash.

Paul (opinion subject to change with new pics)

would love to see a CGT front end

Now THAT would be a fitting appearance for the 997TT !!

Nahhh, I don't like it. I prefer the traditional round headlights on the 911.

Put me in the group that does not like it also.

Even the source from where these photos came from admitted that these are computer enhanced and not original:

http://www.thecarconnection.com/Enthusia...S178.A9224.html

There's no way that's what the Turbo will look like. Porsche is too good to let that happen. The front will probably look more like this

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777446 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441785 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262808 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261011 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85271 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5592 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880692 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816071 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM