Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Break-In Period and The Sport Button.

If Porsche break-in procedure, as written in the owner's manual, were to be strictly adhered to, then why is there no mention of the use of the Sport Button?

Presumably pushing the Sport Button leads to greater abuse of the new engine even if the revs are kept below 4000, right? Strange that there's no mention of Sport Button use in the break-in recommendations.

So, if you have an engine without the Sport Button and you follow the rules of 2000 miles under 4000 rpm, you're following a double standard with the engine who gets "abused" with the Sport Button yet follows the same reccos.

Sport Button does what, exactly? It changes throttle response and makes the engine work harder since it creates an automatic "lead foot" which is NOT recommended when breaking-in an engine.

Hummmmm, I wonder... .

Re: Break-In Period and The Sport Button.

I would think the sport button makes it easier to abuse the engine but, if you follow the rules about RPM and engine load, it shouldn't make any difference.

LOL! From the lack of interest in this issue I'm glad to conclude the heated controversy over apparent inconsistencies in Porsche's break-in reccomendations is over.

Hey, LowPolarMoment, thanks for the input. I guess the increased load is what I'm "worried" about. You'd think that's something bad for a new engine? I dunno, unless the Sport Button was hot-glued in the "on" position, maybe it all averages out eventually.

Re the sport buton MMD. I'm not fuly run-in yet so I've not given it any proper use but I did try it. The Sport setting on the PASM comes on too but it doesn't feel like anything has happened. On my M3, when you hit the sport button at a constant throttle you could feel a little dig in the back, and it was instantly noticable when you started putting your foot down. With my 997 I tried accelerating from 2000 to 4000 revs (smartly, but not thrashing it), then slowed down, put on the sport and did the same thing again. Didn't notice any difference at all. Do you need to be really flying to feel it?

br d

Running the sport button during break-in isn't going to do anything. It makes the car more alert-running, but it's nothing measurable enough to cause the engine any strain. You're worrying about hammering a brand-new anvil with a popsicle stick in this case, IMHO.

br d, just turn on the sport and leave it on, and drive with some spirit. The difference is easily noticeable. Doing what you did, just 2,000-4,000 rpm, is no test at all, the motor hardly had a chance to gulp a breath of air.

You guys are treating these cars like such fragile flowers LOL!!!. ENJOY yourselves some more!!! It's cool to want to do a judicious break-in, but you don't have to treat break-in like a prison term. If it were so incredibly detail-to-the-rpm-critical, it wouldn't vary from region to region, and Porsche wouldn't entrust the owners (i.e. knuckleheads like you and me) to perform it.

Yeah sod it. Next time I drive her I am going to go for it a bit. I'm just under a thousand miles now and I've been very good. I've got the manual here and it just says (in summary), don't run high revs when cold, don't do frequent cold starts and don't participate in racing events during the first 1800 miles. Nothing about 4200 revs (where did that come from!). It's time to open her legs a bit (if you'll forgive the expression). In fact, I'm going out right now. It's dark, but I'll stick to some well lit main roads and just push her a bit harder.

See you soon!

Oh, and if it blows up, it's your fault boss!!!!

br d

If it blows up, you can have my motor LOL!!!!

BTW, the 4,200 rpm thing comes from the USA owner's manual.

JESUS H FEEKING CHRIST!!!!!!!!!!!!

72 Grand?! 72 GRAND!!!!!!!
    Worth
    Every
    Last
    Penny!!!

That was absolutely brilliant!! F**k it just leaps at the road. I put the sport on as I pulled onto a long two lane road, floored it, and by the time I got to fourth I thought "What's wrong with the bloody road!!" I'd slowed right down before I realised it was the car tightening up and hunkering down!

Man the power is a blast. It feels so different from my M3, can't really explain it. The M felt quick, this feels....fast, grunty, like the cars been kicked up the arse by a giant!!
    Mate that was fun. I only hit redline once going through the gears. And that noise!!! It just howls like a demon-spawned beast! Sh!t I need to calm down here

And the stink! I thought it smelled before but that was nothing, I thought the thing had caught fire!

What a buzz, that was f**king primeval and no mistake. I understand now when people say you have to drive a 911. It felt really stabloe on the bends but less forgiving than what I'm used to, like I had to really concentrate.

I just looked at the clock, I was only out there 25 minutes!

I can hear her ticking away on the drive.

What a buzz.

br d

This narration brought a smile to my face! Congrats!
    Quote:
    br d said:
    JESUS H FEEKING CHRIST!!!!!!!!!!!!

Worth
    Every
    Last
    Penny!!!

That was absolutely brilliant!! F**k it just leaps at the road. I put the sport on as I pulled onto a long two lane road, floored it, and by the time I got to fourth I thought "What's wrong with the bloody road!!" I'd slowed right down before I realised it was the car tightening up and hunkering down!

Man the power is a blast. It feels so different from my M3, can't really explain it. The M felt quick, this feels....fast, grunty, like the cars been kicked up the arse by a giant!!
    Mate that was fun. I only hit redline once going through the gears. And that noise!!! It just howls like a demon-spawned beast! Sh!t I need to calm down here

And the stink! I thought it smelled before but that was nothing, I thought the thing had caught fire!

What a buzz, that was f**king primeval and no mistake. I understand now when people say you have to drive a 911. It felt really stabloe on the bends but less forgiving than what I'm used to, like I had to really concentrate.

I just looked at the clock, I was only out there 25 minutes!

I can hear her ticking away on the drive.

What a buzz.

br d

Quote:
    br d said:
    Worth
    Every
    Last
    Penny!!!

What a buzz.

So how long have you actually had this car before you experienced this revelation?

br d , nothing like a Porsche-induced shot of adrenoline to the ol' CNS, eh?.....
    IMO it's the best drug in the world, and it's completely legal!!!

Quote:
    1Gunner said:
    IMO it's the best drug in the world, and it's completely legal!!!

Well, that can depend on how quickly you use it......

about the sport button all the caution in break-in from an engineering point of view is the actual load and speed at which the engine is run..the fact that the throttle sensitivity is higher mean NOTHING as long as the same load or rpm are used..as far as the engine is concerned u r just requiring the same action

I remember 10 years ago I had a rip with a TVR Griff in my Renualt 5GT Turbo and I was knowwhere he just powered away from me. Although technically I am still in break in period (1500miles done) I could not resist a little rip with a TVR Griffith 500 yesterday. I was following, he floored it and I followed. I was suprised how quick he was (Those Grif 500 are quick in a straight line) I just couldn't hold back and soon found I was on his tail, at the first bend, I came so scarily close to him as he slowed so much for the bend. He didn,t appear to have the same level of confidence with his grip level in the corners. I did overtake him, but i think that was due to my knowing the passing point on the road and confidence in handling rather than shear horsepower pass. It was great fun, sport button was on and -20mm giving streams of info through the steering wheel. Driving the 997S to work has become the highlight of my day!!!!

BTW, br d, you REALLY should get your car into service regarding that smell. Quite honestly, I don't get a whiff of odd odor from my 997S, and I drive quite spiritedly. But also (if I can toot my own horn a bit) I'm damn artistic with a clutch pedal. The trick is quick engagement, with perfect throttle modulation such that you're not bucking the driveline. In any case, you've got a burning clutch, or mal-adjusting clutch, or a heat shield that's not in place, or cosmoline gooped into places that it shouldn't have gotten, or something.... I don't have these smells that you and others are speaking of.

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    BTW, br d, you REALLY should get your car into service regarding that smell. Quite honestly, I don't get a whiff of odd odor from my 997S, and I drive quite spiritedly. But also (if I can toot my own horn a bit) I'm damn artistic with a clutch pedal. The trick is quick engagement, with perfect throttle modulation such that you're not bucking the driveline. In any case, you've got a burning clutch, or mal-adjusting clutch, or a heat shield that's not in place, or cosmoline gooped into places that it shouldn't have gotten, or something.... I don't have these smells that you and others are speaking of.

Reading here it seems a few people had a smelly car for a while so i think I'll give it till 1500 and then see how it is. If it's still odorous then I'll take your advice mate.

How typical is this. I just start to enjoy the car and now we going to get fuel blockades tomorrow. You can't get near any of the garages round my way for queues and the only place that does Optimax says they won't be making it's supply a high priority. Plus there's all the grief of getting diesel for my work trucks. We had one of these about 5 years ago and we couldn't get fuel for a week.

br d

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    You're worrying about hammering a brand-new anvil with a popsicle stick in this case, IMHO.

LOL. Funny. Thanks for the blast of surrealist imagery.

Here's a follow up. If that popsicle stick were moving at 200,000 mph when it hit the anvil it would make a dent. We must specify ALL conditions when forging a metaphor or else people will find a way around it... . LOL, just goofing off!

Only if the foresaid popsicle stick were traveling in the vacuum of space. If it were travelling 200,000 mph within our atmosphere, it would spontaneously combust...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776672 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441505 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262671 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260803 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85082 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5494 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880516 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815639 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM